• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RahXephon movie

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnyboy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking about picking up the movie and was wondering, how good is the RahXephon movie in summarizing the TV series? Or does it even do that at all? I have never seen either.

Cheers.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, the movie is an alternate retelling from the viewpoint of Haruka. But since you have not seen either, you may not know who she is. Some elements of the story are changed, but not too much. The thing is, the movie was made with those that had seen the TV series in mind. It moves very fast, without explaining very much at all.

If I were you, I would get the TV series first (or rent it) and then decide if you want to see the movie.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I concur. The movie is mostly a collection of "guitar solos" from the series; I'm not sure it really works as a coherent narrative on its own. It does do a nice job of clarifying the plot strands it keeps from the series for folks like me who got tangled up, but the series is worth at least a rental.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
spider-moose

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:07 pm Reply with quote
only get this movie if your a completlist or love rahxephon

cause they change a few things in the movie from the TV series too

and its not really needed to see

but if you don't care about getting the TV series just get the movie, alot of people don't like it cause its to slow so the movie gets the best of the action and plots into it

but spoiler[the movie doesn't really show has well what happen to Ayato has well has the TV series does at the end of the series/movie]

but if you could just rent the movie and see if you want to buy the TV series or something like that

but the movie does take out alot of the drama the TV series had, other then Haruka's parts
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:48 pm Reply with quote
spider-moose wrote:

but the movie doesn't really show has well what happen to Ayato has well has the TV series does at the end of the series/movie

That's not really a spoiler, but the movie actually does show it better.
spider-moose

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I was just testing it really hehe
Grico

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Well the tv series has a significant component of the traditional "characters have secrets in their past" which are slowly revealed as the show progresses. The two hour movie, by time necessity, doesn't do anything of the sort and focuses very exclusively on the main plot. Personally I think you should watch the series first, as the movie would be pretty confusing without watching the series first and alot of the characters would make no sense in the movie cause they appear only like 3 seconds in the movie when they in fact are reasonably important in the tv version.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the movie's like a really long synopsis episode, or one of those "amnesia" episodes: "Don't you remember the time we fought that Mulian that looked like an erotic mushroom?" CUT TO:

Anyway, it seemed to me that Quon was only in the movie because people expect her to be in the movie, and she didn't really have any important narrative function in the film. Too bad. I also thought the new scenes were really lame, but YMMV. I did like the show, but not enough to buy it; if the mivie had been stronger I'd have been happy to buy that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1