• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sword Art Online eps. 8-14

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Lizbeth in her one episode had a more satisfying character arc, and relationship with Kirito, than Asuna managed in her what, 10?

Riiight. And monkeys may fly out of my butt.

>suggesting Lizbeth isn't the best
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:42 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

>suggesting that Lizbeth was the best girl for Kirito when he actually wanted Lizbeth and Asuna to have hot lesbian sex instead.
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:43 am Reply with quote
What it comes down to for me is that it's a reasonably entertaining show, with good visuals and an interesting premise. Has it met expectations? Not really - the first episode was probably the strongest so far. But I enjoy watching it and am willing to forgive its many flaws most of the time.

I'd say it was one of the stronger shows in a fairly weak season (in which my two favourite new shows were definitely surprises - Binbogami ga! and Joshiraku).
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:45 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

>suggesting that Lizbeth was the best girl for Kirito when he actually wanted Lizbeth and Asuna to have hot lesbian sex instead.

You are getting very good at this.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:59 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
You are getting very good at this.

What can I say, I learn from the best.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Key wrote:

Please record that and post it to YouTube, okay, thanks.

Don't need to, since it's already been done years ago.

Quote:

There are actually a remarkable number of SAO doujins out there for as recent as the series is, so surely someone has already made this reality.

(Damn, I don't have time to go looking for it tonight. Must put on tomorrow's agenda!)

Last edited by Key on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:38 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I meant an actual video of a monkey in his cute little rocketman outfit escaping your butt like the Millennium Falcon escaping the second Death Star.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:48 am Reply with quote
One thing that REALLY bugged me about episode 14 was at the end, how spoiler[Kirito woke up and after his body being essentially comatose for 2 years, he was able to get up and walk down the hall.

Earlier this year my little brother was in hospital for a MONTH and couldn't stand - in fact, his stay in the ward was pretty much doubled so they could try and build his strength back. At first he couldn't even walk to the bedside chair or even stand without falling over. When I pointed this out to fans, they were all like "Technology could have increased by that time!" but no, the hospital room looked very 2012.]

And that's even before I get into the deus ex machina way the current arc ended...

To me, Sword Art Online will always be a show that was "okay". It isn't bad, but boy do the pacing issues plague it (particularly in the first half of what has currently aired). I know that the first novel covered all of SAO and they put in some of the side stories from later volumes in to give exposition and whatever, but way they did it seemed very choppy.
Kohii

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:55 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Key wrote:

Please record that and post it to YouTube, okay, thanks.

Quote:

There are actually a remarkable number of SAO doujins out there for as recent as the series, so surely someone has already made this reality.

(Damn, I don't have time to go looking for it tonight. Must put on tomorrow's agenda!)

No yuri doujinshis out there (yet). Most of them feature Asuna (w/ Kirito or random guy(s)) and Silica (pointless and useless character). I think I saw one with Lizbeth, but I'm not sure and can't find it now. So yeah, chances of a yuri-themed doujin with Asuna and Lizbeth are VERY unlikely. There's only SFW (non-H) where Asuna, Kirito, Klein and the old guy fisherman ask Lizbeth to make them fishing rods by ponz, but that's about it.
Radrappy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:01 am Reply with quote
the most alarming thing to me about this show will always be how Asuna went from a strong character to a wimpering moe heap in two or three episodes.

That and I'll never understand why the dude in episode 2 didn't accept Kirito's healing potion when he was dying.

I'll admit the mmorpg concepts were well done but anything involving character development was embarrassing.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:03 am Reply with quote
I agree with the review in almost every regard. Very overrated show
imo, though I am surprised with all the shows fans that no one has come to argue.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:04 am Reply with quote
Most SAO doujins are exploring all the myriad ways Asuna can get her 7 liters.
Kohii

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:16 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Most SAO doujins are exploring all the myriad ways Asuna can get her 7 liters.

98% of SAO doujins feature Asuna. This is not an exaggeration. It's insane. Gets really boring after a while. Except for Yuka Nakajima's, I'll never get tired of her doujins. Here's to a doujin artist who actually reads the source material and doesn't just draw about whatever he/she watched in the anime.
terminus24

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:54 am Reply with quote
I've enjoyed SAO so far, and I'm hoping the ALO arc has a lot less side stories than the SAO arc. Anyways, I feel like the last episode would have worked perfectly, had it been in the real world, and had it used real world anime logic, as everything done in that episode is possible with real world anime logic, but not video game logic.

And remember what the guy (forgot his name, lol) said at the end of the last episode? "Nothing is more boring than watching someone else play an RPG."
Exaar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:39 am Reply with quote
I like this show a lot. It's actually the only show from the last season I managed to watch to the end (or mid-point, in this case).

I'm not at all the type of person to pay attention to the technical details of a show. I mean, I appreciate good writing and good animation, but whether or not I really like a show just comes down to a very visceral level. Mostly it's about characters, and I just enjoy watching SAO. I find Asuna attractive in a heroine sort of way, I find Kirito identifiable, and I'm a big MMO player so I identify with the setting (inconsistencies aside). Although I'm also blindly willing to accept (usually) whatever shows up on screen. Honestly the things in episode 14 people are raging about, I just accepted without a second thought. Not that that makes them less incongruous upon examination, but.

I just enjoy the show, and I hope the second arc delivers some more of the same. (Though I won't complain if it steps up the writing, either).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8