• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Paradise Found

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
How was the ME movie in comparsion with the Dragon Age movie. I think funi had a hand in that as well, but it did not go over so well?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Freezing quite a bit, but goddammit, why could people just not leave Satellizer the fudge alone?

She doesn't want to be touched. SO DON"T TOUCH HER YOU ASSHOLE. I don't care if she smells like your sister. SHE DOESN'T WANT TO BE TOUCHED.
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Before anyone asks, no, I'm not going back to reviewing hentai. Those days are over.

Awww, man. That was the first thing I wanted to ask.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm actually depressed about this news. No disrespect to Erin, but I liked The Stream way, way more than I liked Shelf Life, and now The Stream is getting watered down.

Ugh.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Love DMC - my first exposure was to the live-action movie which played, appropriately enough, at a Midnight Madness screening at the Toronto International Film Festival a number of years ago. Enjoyed the fansub of the series, but I'm really looking forward to owning a legit copy. My favourite character is the band's supah-nasty manager who has an almost limitless supply of different ways to describe how wet she is.

Random example: spoiler["I'm so wet that fish could live in my pussy."]* Laughing

*I'm going by memory, but I think the quote is pretty accurate.

Anyway, a perfect title to welcome back the Divine Miss Bamboo. Lovely to see your saucy sensibility back in the saddle.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Freezing is the kind of show that you buy online, not at Best Buy,

You can't buy anything at Best Buy anymore, not when they're more expensive and have little to no selection.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Before anyone asks, no, I'm not going back to reviewing hentai.
Quote:
Freezing complete series + OVAs BD+DVD

[CloseEnough.jpg]

Welcome back, Bamboo!

I'm probably going to have to give DMC a shot one of these days. There don't seem to be any unfavorable reviews of it anywhere...
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:52 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Well I'm actually depressed about this news. No disrespect to Erin, but I liked The Stream way, way more than I liked Shelf Life, and now The Stream is getting watered down.

Ugh.

Something like that. With the regular single-title review section, there's really not much need for Shelf Life, but there's no alternative on ANN for the progressive reviews of streaming anime that we got with the The Stream column...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

Ugh.

Something like that. With the regular single-title review section, there's really not much need for Shelf Life, but there's no alternative on ANN for the progressive reviews of streaming anime that we got with the The Stream column...

The single-title review section covers currently streaming shows in 6 or 7 episode chunks in addition to the now once-a-month redesigned Stream Life. The regular Stream column usually only happened twice a month (only once during months where the workload was unbearable and Bamboo simply did not have time).

The original Stream format was simply too much work for one person to reasonably handle at a salary that made sense. This new system preserves both columns while streamlining Bamboo's workload (not to mention it's going to be much easier to fill 3 columns with physical releases rather than 4).
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Wait, Bamboo took a break from Shelf Life? When did this happen?

Well, I've never played Mass Effect and I don't listen to heavy metal (well, okay, a little, but only if it is German) so two of those titles are right out (Truthfully, I've never found the whole "Secret Opposite Persona" schtick to be that funny in the first place). And I watched the first episode of Freezing and hated it, mostly because the fanservice wasn't erotic and the infodumps were boring, but I've long learned that Bamboo has the weirdest taste in ecchi.

Josh's collection: Oh god!, tacks through the Madoka posters?! You put holes in the Madoka Posters!? Just seeing that viscerally hurts, like you punched those tacks through my very soul. And yes, I know that's not how you use the word viscerally. How could you man, come on! Nah, 'tis alright. But next time, pick up some cheap frames and matboard from the nearest Hobby Lobby and do yourself and your room a favor. I framed my Madoka posters, at they look pretty damn good, if I say so myself. But aside from the random poster mutilation, a very nice collection.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I guess 8,000-word The Stream columns were pretty long . . .
partially

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
The original Stream format was simply too much work for one person to reasonably handle at a salary that made sense. This new system preserves both columns while streamlining Bamboo's workload (not to mention it's going to be much easier to fill 3 columns with physical releases rather than 4).

I personally think reviews in chunks works better anyway. Seriously if your following the reviews of a show episode by episode, your probably watching the show already, and an episode review tells you very little (do people need to have their liking a show validated or something?). I much prefer chunks where a reviewer can for instance identify that a series significantly improved etc., and may be worth me picking up again. Which is more difficult to tell if the review only covers 1 or 2 episodes. There will always be ups and downs in such a format. Whereas the chunk gives a much better overall impression.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Welcome back, Bamboo! It's good to see you again.

I'm... actually surprised that Freddie Prinze was brought in for the Mass Effect movie. How the mighty have fallen, I suppose.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote
That shelf is pretty awesome. It spans the three major mediums from which we get our Otaku content. Videogames, Anime, Manga.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm pleasantly surprised that so far most of what I've heard about with the Mass Effect anime has been positive. I'm a fan of Bioware's games, but I felt pretty skeptical about turning them into anime and the reviews of Dragon Age's movie just confirmed my doubts. I've definitely decided to spring for a copy of the new Mass Effect anime when I can get it, though, I love the series and I'm interested in seeing Vega's backstory get fleshed out more.

Levitz9 wrote:
I'm... actually surprised that Freddie Prinze was brought in for the Mass Effect movie. How the mighty have fallen, I suppose.

Well, he played the same character in the games, so it's not that surprising to me. Plus, he's apparently a big fan of the Mass Effect series, so he might just be doing all of this for fun, for all I know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6