• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, August 2-8

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:52 am Reply with quote
Vampire boom?
shoujogirl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:24 pm Reply with quote
YES!! Viva de Shojo Revolution!! Very Happy I'm not into any of the series up, tho. Maybe Bloody Kiss but it is a TP, and I no longer have faith in them. Crying or Very sad
LKK

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:43 pm Reply with quote
shoujogirl wrote:
Maybe Bloody Kiss but it is a TP, and I no longer have faith in them. Crying or Very sad

If by "no longer have faith in them" you mean that you're worried about the series being completed, would it help you to know that Bloody Kiss is only 2 volumes long and volume 2 is already scheduled for a November release? Of course, this doesn't guarantee that the series will be completed, but I feel fairly confident we'll see the concluding volume of this particular title.
illustrata

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I do hope this is the beginning of more sales (as well as licensing) of shoujo manga that are, you know, actually good and well-written.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:09 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Now we just need to get some series like One Piece, Gintama, Gantz, some Urasawa series, etc. on some of these lists. Smile

Urasawa titles would be nice, though I believe Gantz has made this list before.

EDIT: It has.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:13 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
I'll second what Aura said, I love Naruto, but some shojo are great too and I'm glad to see them on there.

Now we just need to get some series like One Piece, Gintama, Gantz, some Urasawa series, etc. on some of these lists. Smile

One Piece showed up for like 2 weeks at Number 10 but that's about it. Simply put the fandom doesn't have the fans to make this series sell well. It doesn't have the hardcore fans like Negima or Fullmetal Alchemist do.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:59 pm Reply with quote
illustrata wrote:
I do hope this is the beginning of more sales (as well as licensing) of shoujo manga that are, you know, actually good and well-written.

are you implying that the shoujo manga on this list are well written? Thats a good one
illustrata

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:19 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
illustrata wrote:

are you implying that the shoujo manga on this list are well written? Thats a good one

My internet sarcasm is off. I meant the exact opposite.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:15 am Reply with quote
There are plenty of good shoujo manga out there, but girls nowadays just dont care for ballerina's, gay art thieves or social science fiction. I bet something like Please Save My Earth would have sold a lot better if it had been about vampires instead of moon people Sad
illustrata

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Eh, not a fan of Please Save My Earth (which transformed into a typical shoujo angst-fest, with unlikable characters to boot), but what I would do to have more down-to-earth shoujo manga licensed like Ikuemi Ryo's, Matsumoto Tomo's, Shimitsuki Kayoko's. *sigh*
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:55 am Reply with quote
I like that kind of shoujo manga as well, but it's not as if those characters are completely angst-free. That's what teenagers do, they angst, especially teenagers who have to deal with brats with psychic powers, former lives and a weapon of mass destruction. I loved how their pasts were pieced together, I couldn't stop reading because I wanted to know more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2