• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Moribito Episodes Start on Adult Swim Tonight

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:58 am Reply with quote
Bout time. Thanks for reminding me ANN. Very Happy
Sydra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:59 am Reply with quote
I love moribito but it isn't a good fit with the vast majority of CN viewers.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Sydra wrote:

Very true. They've had other Production IG shows, but this one is decidedly less action oriented.

Also, I nearly forgot to watch it. I've gotten used to watching my hour of Bleach and then finding something else to do since I can only watch the same reruns so many times.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Sydra wrote:

Still, you have to give AS credit for trying to air shows like this, despite their not being like the usual shounen fare. Eureka 7 and Blood+ were the same way. I applaud their efforts to air different shows, and happily watch them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I have already seen the latest episodes too. I like Moribito and am glad Adult Swim put it back on. However, unless it had insufficient viewer ratings, I would like to know why it took them nearly 10 months to finish airing the series.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
I have already seen the latest episodes too. I like Moribito and am glad Adult Swim put it back on. However, unless it had insufficient viewer ratings, I would like to know why it took them nearly 10 months to finish airing the series.

There were a lot of rights issues. Geneon had the rights, but then they closed down, after dubbing only 10 episodes. Media Blasters picked it up soon after to finish dubbing. Then it turned out the rights had went back to the Japanese creators, so Media Blasters had to re-acquire the license. Lots of red tape in the way. AS just kept rerunning Moribito, hoping the rights issues would get fixed in time.

So this time, Moribito taking so long to finish is not AS' fault. Their hands were tied by complicated rights issues.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:13 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
Ctimene's Lover wrote:

There were a lot of rights issues. Geneon had the rights, but then they closed down, after dubbing only 10 episodes. Media Blasters picked it up soon after to finish dubbing. Then it turned out the rights had went back to the Japanese creators, so Media Blasters had to re-acquire the license. Lots of red tape in the way. AS just kept rerunning Moribito, hoping the rights issues would get fixed in time.

So this time, Moribito taking so long to finish is not AS' fault. Their hands were tied by complicated rights issues.

And that is what gets a lot of people up in arms for. It's that same rights issue that prevented Bandai Ent from running the original OP and ED for both the original Gundam and the Zeta Gundam sequel. If all of these rights junk was done much faster without any mark-ups,the US releases would be released a lot sooner. Hopefully this right issue is not the reason why CN hasn't acquired Naruto Shippuden since the original was very popular otherwise people might be calling out bloody murder by now.

RogueJedi86 wrote:
Still, you have to give AS credit for trying to air shows like this, despite their not being like the usual shounen fare. Eureka 7 and Blood+ were the same way. I applaud their efforts to air different shows, and happily watch them.

I preety much though those series was popular during it's run especially blood+. Unfortunately they did show late so it may not be that much of a susprise.

However people can't blame AS for showing them late. Even I know they had to abby by FCC standards as well as their rules & regulations so just like with moribito's rights,their hands are also tied when it comes to the timelines as well. I just hope FCC gives the AS block more rights otherwise the block may not last very long.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I am for anime editing (Namely, the "controversial stuff" in the kodomo shows and editing racist implications. Sexual wise, it's hard to say. If it has yaoi/yuri undertones, edit that all out) but the FCC (-expletive-Crappy Censors) should let more slide because Adult Swim is called that for a reason.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
I am for anime editing (Namely, the "controversial stuff" in the kodomo shows and editing racist implications. Sexual wise, it's hard to say. If it has yaoi/yuri undertones, edit that all out) but the FCC (-expletive-Crappy Censors) should let more slide because Adult Swim is called that for a reason.

I believe "Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex" has gotten away with the s-word a few times, even on recent reruns. In some episodes it's censored, but I have heard it uncensored in others. I'm guessing it was AS seeing what they could get away with.

Of course that's nothing next to the stuff Comedy Central airs uncensored on Saturday nights. Nudity and f-bombs galore on CC's Saturday night uncensored movies.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:21 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 mentions:
Quote:
Of course that's nothing next to the stuff Comedy Central airs uncensored on Saturday nights. Nudity and f-bombs galore on CC's Saturday night uncensored movies.

In common talk, we have a word for that: hypocrisy. The FCC decides "Let's screw AS anime by editing out the swearing but let other stations get away with it".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2