• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Looking for Tatsunoko titles.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PopetherevXXVIII

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:33 am Reply with quote
I don't think anyone in the US has Yatterman. But I could be wrong.

I used to have Tekkamen blade but I found the constant every other phrase is "D-boy" to be annoying.

Anyways I do want to watch more Tatsunoko shows. Yatterman as mentioned above. Karas isn't impossible to find. I know Discotek Media has a few shows and Sentai Filmworks has Gatchaman.

But as for the older series. Has anyone picked them up or will have to scour the internet for fansubs? Mostly I'm looking for the shows with characters in Tatsunoko VS Capcom. It's just taken me several years to actually bother to ask on forums who has what if they even have those shows at all.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I find Casshern Sins to be pretty good. It's rather slow and bleak in nature, but carries this philosophical undertone about the value of life (as a robot, human, android, etc.) in a post-apocalyptic world. Great production value all around (I especially like the art style, as it feels kinda' retro, but is still very clean) and would highly recommend it if you can handle slightly more "talky" shows.

Karas is good, too, but I found it to be mostly eye candy. The pacing seems to build the world up pretty well, but it barely fleshes out the characters until the last 1 or 2 episodes, so don't expect too much from that one. The art, animation, and action choreography is quite fun to watch, though.

Oh, and we can't tell you where to get fansubs, so I'll just trust you to find the material on your own. I will, however, leave this thread be since I'm a Tatsunoko fan, myself, and that contrary to our recommendation guidelines, you're at least being specific.
PopetherevXXVIII

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:57 am Reply with quote
I have a place for fansubs. So I'm good def not asking for those. It's more important I find out what I can get legit first.

Since I posted this I found that Sentai Filmworks has the Original Casshern so I'm picking that up.

Karas is on my radar.

It's hard to keep track of what is and isn't licensed though. I wish there was an easy way to watch their 60s shows.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually kind of anxious to revisit Gatchaman, some day. Ever since Sentai released the entire series on Blu-ray (which has gotten a pretty favorable review in terms of A/V transfer), I'm a bit curious to see how it is in Japanese, having only watched it in English during its late-night run on Cartoon Network all those years ago.
PopetherevXXVIII

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:29 am Reply with quote
I hope Sentai Filmworks has more goodies coming. I really want to see Yatterman and if possible Hakushon Daimaō and Hurricane Polymar.

I forgot Discotek has Samurai Pizza cats too. I gotta grab that when I can too.

My experence with Tatsunoko so far hasn't been a positive one, I recall not liking outlanders and I think I already said Tekkamen Blade annoyed me with all the D-boy s.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:18 am Reply with quote
How far have you gotten in Tekkaman Blade? Once the story picks up and gets more serious, they stop calling him that altogether. It's actually a pretty epic space drama by the end of things.
PopetherevXXVIII

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:33 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
How far have you gotten in Tekkaman Blade? Once the story picks up and gets more serious, they stop calling him that altogether. It's actually a pretty epic space drama by the end of things.

Probably about 13 episodes in.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Have you tried the Encyclopedia? For instance you can look up Tatsunoko and look at the show's pages to find the English licensed ones.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
PopetherevXXVIII wrote:
Probably about 13 episodes in.

I would urge you to try and keep watching, then. They start to discover some of his origins a little bit after that. And when they do, things get much more interesting (might even be some minor character deaths that affect the story significantly, if memory serves me right). I think they just refer to him as "D" from there on out, which actually makes me think of Vampire Hunter D. But yeah, once they figure out who he is, the whole "D-Boy" nickname pretty much goes away.
PopetherevXXVIII

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:07 am Reply with quote
Yeah I'm going to give the show another chance. I sold my set off long ago and it's so cheap on amazon now I'll pick it up again. If anything it's something for an anime club should I ever get one going.

Speaking of Vampire Hunter D, I need to watch those again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1