• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Hunting - NO Recommendation threads allowed! [READ THE 1st POST]

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azathrael

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:01 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: This is a complete rewrite of the original post, primarily courtesy of Spastic Minnow, effective 7/25/11. It updates and summarizes information originally only available later in the thread - in the effort to consolidate information important to newcomers - and contains only links known to be active. - Key]

The ANN Anime forum has adopted a zero tolerance policy on creating recommendation threads, as in the past this has been a major problem. Instead we have collected these suggestions on how to find anime which matches your tastes without opening new recommendation threads. Between the official threads indexed here and the many resources that ANN offers, we feel there is no reason to clutter the forum with excessive threads that don't produce meaningful new discussion.

In short, you may not open threads whose purpose is to ask something like "can you recommend me a show like [so and so]?"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Official Recommendation Threads by Genre:

Genre Descriptions by Dan42

Action
Adventure
Comedy
Drama
Erotica
Fantasy
Horror
Magic
Mystery
Psychological
Romance
Science Fiction
Slice-of-Life
Supernatural
Thriller
Tournament

Commemorative / Holiday / Seasonal

Christmas
Halloween

Specific / Unique Modifiers

Child-Safe
Cop / Mafia
Cute Characters / Disturbing Behavior
Experimental
Gender-switching anime
Harem
Historical
Mature (non-Hentai) Adult-Oriented
Mecha
Music Themed
Obscure/Underrated
Space Opera
Sports
Streaming (legal streams only)
Strong Female (Co-)Leads
War
Yaoi / Shounen Ai
Yuri / Shoujo Ai

If you don't see the specific genre you're looking for listed above, you may seek Moderator approval to create a new recommendation thread about it. Just private message anyone you see posting who is marked as a Moderator.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may also consult the following thread if you want recommendations concerning a particular director, voice actor, etc.:

Staff/Voice Actor Recommendations

Also available to those who might be interested is the recommendation thread for Opening and Ending animation sequences:

OP/ED Recommendations

ANN Resources:

ANN's genre search
The ability to search according to year, genre, and ratings make this search engine one of the best anime hunting tools.

Genre search tips:
- Avoid checking genres that are side-by-side. The encyclopedia is separating them to improve precision.
- By using the production year alone, you gain access to vintage lists. By typing the same year on both fields, you can see the best rated titles released in a specific year. Searching by decade is also recommended.
- On each Encyclopedia page that includes genre and theme information, there is a link that says "find similar anime based on genres & themes", which will link to a list of similarly-themed shows, organized by rating.

ANN's Top 10 lists, with each category being expandable into larger lists.

ANN users' thread of top 10 best and top 5 worst.

ANN Reviews

ANN's "MyAnime" lists
browse the public lists of ANN members.

If you create your own My Anime page there's an option to "See other people's anime lists", which allows you to search "like-minded" members' lists. This means that you'll be given lists of people who rated the same shows you did in a similar fashion and you can see what else they like.

----------------------

Specific links to My Anime lists, for those who might be familiar/curious with the tastes and interests of a particular user:

8daze
abunai
Amasa
animebrainyanic
B3rning14 (French)
bahamut75
bci110
BombDiggady
braves
cardcaptormanda
Chrno2
Circle
Cloe
Code001
coffee
Crusty567
CyberViper
d.yaro
Daemonblue
Darc_knight
Dargonxtc (Allow 60 seconds load time)
Deadmangunner
Descent123
Desert_Kitsune
Dhaerwo
dormcat
Drenoss
dtm42
dummyacct7
Elfen12
endlessnow
Errinundra
EternalDragonWarrior
Fallout2man
fighterholic
Flaed
FlashFumo
fragthecullen
free2slap
freewingsonata
frentymon
fullmetal biologist
Ggultura2764
gnollman
gnuoy
goblinm
hentaichan
Highway Star
iankennard
IchigoK90
ikillchicken
Jose Cruz
jsevakis
Keonyn
Key
Kruszer (may contain spoilers)
LydiaDianne
ManOfRust
Mylene
nobahn
one3rd
PantsGoblin
Psycho101
Selenta
Tony K.
Touma
undeadben
willag
Xuebaochai
Zalis116
Zaphdash

----------------------

User review threads. They come with a spoiler warning.

Akane the Catgirl
Captain X
Errinundra
Jose Cruz

Last edited by Azathrael on Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:54 pm; edited 5 times in total
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:24 pm Reply with quote
There's also the ANN review list; if you don't want to look through the review list, go to an anime's Encyclopedia entry and look through the releases and reviews for that series's individual discs.

Link: ANN Reviews List

Other anime review sites:
T.H.E.M. Anime Reviews
Anime Academy
Anime Secrets
Dub Review (focuses on English dubs, same with Crystal Acids)
Anime Jump
The Anime Review
Anime-Source
The Anime Cafe
Animetric (includes adult material)
AnimeReviews (mainly oldschool series, possibly one of the oldest fan-review sites, references #anime@dalnet)
AnimeClassicReviews (old and obscure titles, operated at least in part by Area88)
Anime Boredom (UK-based)
The Nihon Review

*See the next post for information on ANN's MyAnime list system*

Another great way to discover more anime is to download Anime Music Videos (AMVs) from Animemusicvideos.org

Search through their forums for the recommended videos--by watching them, you can get an idea of the visual style of the series without resorting to "other" methods. Just make sure to avoid spoilers in the videos--if a title is in red on the video info page, it has spoilers, if it's green, no spoilers.

And beyond that, read, read, read...the 10 Favorite / 5 Least Favorite thread is a good place to start, but there are many threads on this forum alone where will profess their love for certain series according to the topic.

EDIT: If you're looking for places to buy anime, you can go to the Encyclopedia entry for a series, click on a link under "related releases" for a volume or boxed set, and see a page with links to various online stores, complete with prices for easy comparison.

For links and ANN user comments on many online anime retailers, please check here in the Retail Forum.

Lastly, try DvdPriceSearch -- you can enter an anime series title to see listings for all releases with comparisons from many stores. If you have other purchasing questions like, "Is this a bootleg?", there is the ANN Retail Forum.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:23 pm; edited 9 times in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:29 am Reply with quote
Okay. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm getting fed up with these recommendation threads. Not so much the better ones that actually go into some kind of depth, but the ones that just ask outright with no kind of help whatsoever.

And so, I've decided to make this thread with some guidelines in mind to help people make them better. From now on, if you're a regular and know how to identify and report these crappy topics, report them and I will lock and link it to this thread for future reference.

EDIT: This is the one and ONLY rule you must abide by. You may ask about one title, and that's it. More than likely, most of you will fail in at least doing this much, but this is all I will offer in terms of negotiation. If you can't do it, then take an English class and work on your writing skills.
----------------------

1. If asking for a (single) particular title, for example: "Is Azumanga Daioh any good," make sure you tell everyone what you've heard about that title so far (if anything, even if it's just a plot summary), what your expectations might be, and also mention series of the same genre you think could be a good reference source.
----------------------

General links to find anime for those who aren't picky:

ANN's top 100 anime.
(To change the number of selections, just edit the number at the end of the URL on the top 100 link)

ANN users' thread of top 10 best and top 5 worst.

ANN's genre search

Although still being polished, the ability to search according to year, genre, and ratings make this search engine one of the best anime hunting tools.

Genre search tips:
- avoid checking genres that are side by side The encyclopedia is separating them to improve precision.
- by using the production year alone, you gain access to vintage lists. By typing the same year on both fields, you can see the best rated titles released in a specific year. Decade is also recommendable.
----------------------

Specific links to My Anime lists, for those who might be familiar/curious with the tastes and interests of a particular user:

8daze
abunai
Amasa
animebrainyanic
B3rning14 (French)
bahamut75
bci110
BombDiggady
braves
Captain X
cardcaptormanda
Chrno2
Circle
Cloe
Code001
coffee
Crusty567
CyberViper
d.yaro
Daemonblue
Darc_knight
Dargonxtc (Allow 60 seconds load time)
Deadmangunner
Descent123
Desert_Kitsune
Dhaerwo
dormcat
Drenoss
dummyacct7
Elfen12
endlessnow
EternalDragonWarrior
Fallout2man
fighterholic
Flaed
FlashFumo
fragthecullen
free2slap
freewingsonata
frentymon
fullmetal biologist
Ggultura2764
gnollman
gnuoy
goblinm
hentaichan
Highway Star
iankennard
IchigoK90
ikillchicken
jsevakis
Keonyn
Kruszer (may contain spoilers)
LydiaDianne
ManOfRust
Mylene
one3rd
PantsGoblin
Selenta
Xuebaochai
Tony K.
undeadben
Zalis116
Zaphdash
--------------------

It may seem like a lot for those of you who are lazy, but you can't get anywhere in any part of life without doing some kind of work.

Do not ask for recommendations in this thread. I will delete those posts when I see them, no questions asked. If you have some feedback that can help in improving recommendation threads, I certainly welcome you to post them here. Thanks.

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:06 pm; edited 14 times in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Would it be alright if I went ahead and made official threads for the mystery and thriller recs since nobody has done so yet? It would be mutually beneficial to other members as well as myself, since I'm looking for more of them and have seen a few also.

Also I'm honored that my list was included, though I'd also warn to avoid reading the comment section if you haven't seen the show yet. Some of them are spoilerific. Smile

Last edited by Kruszer on Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Yes. And while you're at it, make one for everything else. I don't care if you just put one recommendation per genre, it'd just be nice to get it all out of the way.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Alrighty then comming right up.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I'd also warn to avoid reading the comment section if you haven't seen the show yet. Some of them are spoilerific. Smile

Might I suggest you put a warning in the header of each of your lists? That way when someone clicks in to view your list it will let them know right at the top that some of the comments include spoilers.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...interesting must be one of the new features.

Also as per request I included the genre discriptions in the rec threads I created.
JoelFavian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:51 am Reply with quote
So let me see if I have this right. I shouldn't ask "Is ______ good?" on this thread? Isn't this a recommendations thread? I don't understand.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:57 am Reply with quote
(To any mods or admins: I apologise for posting on hallowed ground such as this. I'm only doing so to reply to this person. I thought it would be more productive to answer their question than simply report them as was my first impulse. Because of this, if you wish to delete this post, feel free.)

JoelFavian wrote:
So let me see if I have this right. I shouldn't ask "Is ______ good?" on this thread? Isn't this a recommendations thread? I don't understand.

This is a hub for recommendation threads, but it isn't a recommendation thread in and of itself.

If you wish to inquire about a specific title such as "Is Honey & Clover any good", then your first bet is to find the link for the appropriate genre. If you don't know what the genre it is (maybe you just overheard someone talking about it and were curious) then look it up in the Encyclopedia. If you do so, you will find the genres are:
Quote:
comedy, drama, romance, slice of life
Then it is up to you to find the appropriate recommendation threads.

Needless to say, if you see the title in anyone of those threads (but especially multiple times in a single thread, or in two or more threads), then you can stop your search. You may still end up disliking the title if you eventually watch it, but that's only because people's tastes are different. Despite that, you know that at least someone liked it enough, certainly enough to stick their neck out and recommend it to others.

If you don't find a single mention in the genre threads, then (this is my interpretation) you can make a thread - but not post here - and ask about the single title you are interested in. What is definitely not allowed is just listing the Anime you have watched, and then asking for something similar. We still get that in the forums, despite this thread being stickied. And it drives us batty.

I haven't listed anywhere near all the tools available to you, mostly because if you look at the first three posts in this thread you will see all the hints, tips and suggestions you are likely to need. But if you have exhausted all the avenues and a decent opinion on a specific Anime still eludes you, then by all means make a thread and ask. There are quite a few people on this forum who are happy to help if you ask nicely enough.

Last edited by dtm42 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:57 pm Reply with quote
JoelFavian wrote:
Tony K's post clearly states that it is not a recommendations thread:
Tony K. wrote:
Do not ask for recommendations in this thread. I will delete those posts when I see them, no questions asked.
As dtm42 has said, this thread is more of a resource to help people find information about anime that they might like. It's the "Teach a man to fish, and he will eat for a lifetime" principle. If you want to ask about a specific title, you can make a thread for it. Just be sure to observe Tony's words on that matter:
Quote:
1. If asking for a (single) particular title, for example: "Is Azumanga Daioh any good," make sure you tell everyone what you've heard about that title so far (if anything, even if it's just a plot summary), what your expectations might be, and also mention series of the same genre you think could be a good reference source.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:03 am Reply with quote
Just a quick notion here, do you group robot shows under action? I always kinda thought mech stuff was its own genre, but if not, well, sorry for the trouble.
JoelFavian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, fellas. I'm glad you didn't report me. I did read about it not saying it wasn't a thread for recommendations, but I was just confused on how to go about starting a question for recommendations. You see I just signed up to this cite and I have never been part of an active forum. The funny thing was that I was so intimidated by this cite due to the administrators putting up that thread on how you will be banned for a week if you post the same thing that someone prior posted. I actually read the whole thing and was little scared about being a part of this community at all. You already mentioned that you could have reported me simply for asking, I suppose, a "dumb" question. I'm also very unfamiliar with alot of the terminology used on forums and the like. Maybe I'll learn, if I'm not banned first.
KlausMkIII

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:15 am Reply with quote
Sorry guys didn't see the recomendation post, only looked at first couple of pages briefly after registering. Must be really, really, really annoying for moderators, however I only need to be told once. I haven't seen a thread for fan art to discuss what anime you like drawing with what techniques and why, or to talk about specific pieces posted. If there is one would it be in general, if not is it allowed or even possible here? Or should I make my own site/ask this at a different ANN forum Confused
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:47 pm Reply with quote
We've had threads about fan art before. They're hidden somewhere towards the latter pages and I don't mind if you revive them. If you have too much trouble finding them, however, feel free to start a new one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 17