• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yoshiyuki Tomino - You be the Interviewer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kkofthefunkoff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Do you have any series that you worked on you enjoyed the most?

Do you feel that The Mecha Genre today was somewhat inspired by you and creating the original Gundam?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I had had the chance... (sigh)

_V_ wrote:
Question: What exactly are "Newtypes"? It's been stated that they are"not ESPers", they're not psychics. Further, it doesn't appear to be a result of "natural selection" pressures on the Principality of Zeon: even Earthborn people like Amuro Ray can just *spontaneously* be NewTypes.

Tomino: I'm a storyteller using animated series to tell a story, thus I can't bring hopelessness and despair to young audiences (note: this probably answers why he disparaged the connection with Evangelion in your second question). The Newtypes symbolize that while we human beings face many dark and painful hours, we still have the opportunity and ability to overcome them. To me Newtypes are symbols of hope, not just ESP or supernatural powers.

Here's another:
Quote:
Q: What if your method of direction differs or even contradicts to that of the sponsor(s)?

Tomino: No matter how good your idea is, it has to coexist with reality, and I'm still learning to improve this coexistence.

Josh7289 wrote:
I guess this is kind of a selfish question, but...

I bet he's not directly involved in matters of licensing/distribution, although as a creator he has something similar to "presidential veto," very few people have ever enforced this power.

Ryand-Smith wrote:
Question: Would you like to create another TV series, or is Overman King Gainer your last one?

He was still directly involved in The Wings of Rean (2005) three years after Overman King Gainer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
panzer.time

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I'd be fine with any question about L-GAIM, but I think my pick would be:

In the overall body of your work, how important do you feel Heavy Metal L-GAIM to be? How instrumental was your work there to your later efforts? How did it help you to develop as an artist?

This could, of course, be consolidated into a single question by someone smarter than I am.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:57 pm Reply with quote
With all the alleged live-action anime mecha movies in the works, has Hollywood contacted you about adapting a new LA Gundam? How would you feel about the idea, given how Transformers was handled? Is the fact that some of your more recent Gundam installments are lighter in tone than the older shows a response to Eva and the mecha genre in general? Speaking of which, when will we get Turn A? How was the experience of being an animator on Astro Boy different from being an animator on Gundam? Considering the limitations of the medium 25 years ago, how do you feel to see Hollywood being able to incorporate the same elements found in Dunbine for Avatar?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Yet another...

Question: Were you dissatisfied with the low ratings of Turn A Gundam? Do you think it did poorly because it was very unlike Gundam, even though it, at the same time, celebrated it? Or do you think people just expected a more conventional Gundam story?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
megazero

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Did you expect that Gundam will be very successful up to now when Gundam was first aired 30 years ago? Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Son-kun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Tomino, Are there any other genres besides mecha that you wish to explore in the future? Or will all these ideas be implemented while keeping the theme of giant robots as most of your other works?

Mr. Tomino, I noticed that a lot (if not all) of your females die tragic deaths in your series's. While I feel that it's evident that you're trying to convey the tragedy and cost of war, why is it that it's mostly females? Or rather why is it the female role that the main protagonist (and viewers alike) grow close to? Much of this is evident in Zeta Gundam, but wouldn't it be as effective for the same to happen to a supporting male character that more than likely gets just as much screen time as the main role? (I realize that Katz might be the exception, but I would still like to hear your thoughts)

Mr. Tomino, Do you plan to write any more novels in the future or return to the Gundam franchise? (lol)

Well, that's it for me. I'll probably come up with more and sorry about the long winded second question. My thoughts are just all over the place. Laughing
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Question 1:Will there ever be a Gundam series centered around female Gundam pilots, or a single female lead Gundam pilot protagonist?

Question 2Very Happyo you think a Gundam series set on a different planet, like Mars where human beings colonize there would a fresh approach to a Gundam series? Or a series based around the idea of a race of humans that undergo a mutation in their human apperance and look more like aliens rather than human beings and future offspring resembling that way as well and not only do they look alien, but also consider themselves superior over humans, despite historically, once human themselves and a war between normal humans and mutated humans and normal humans don't consider the mutated ones human anymore?

Question 3:Will there be a Gundam series that involves humanity breaching out into another galaxy beyond our own?
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
What would it take to get the original Mobile Suit Gundam series released in North America with the original Japanese voices and English subtitles, especially now that the series has been released on DVD in Japan?
This is a great question.I'd love to hear Tomino answer that.I got the money,let's see some product.

Question 1: If hell froze over and the plans came up for a Dororo revival,would you accept the work?

Question 2: In the original Mobile Suit Gundam,were there any characters that you took out? Any plot that didn't make it in? Everyone loves Char,was there someone else that existed before him? Was he the Final Design?

Last edited by Shadowrun20XX on Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
RedTail

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Your former colleague Yasuhiko Yoshikazu has his own manga adaption of the original Mobile Suit Gundam titled "The Origin." Have you ever read any of it? If so, what are your impressions?

In Zeta Gundam, why did the Titans launch a full-scale, direct attack on the colony laser? Why didn't they consider the very real possibility that their entire fleet would be destroyed all at once?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Son-kun, plenty of male characters died in Zeta Gundam.

spoiler[Jerid, Kacricon, Buran, Ben Wooder, Jamitov, Blex, Henken, Bask, Apolly, Roberto, Franklin Bidan, and Paptimus Scirocco.]

The females: spoiler[Four, Rosamia, Emma, Reccoa, Lira, Mouar, Sarah, and Hilda Bidan. ]

Looks to me like more male characters died. Though I would agree most of the emphasis was on the female deaths.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Having recently watched Ideon, I'd like to ask why it seems so much like a first draft.

Ok, to be more polite, I'll re-phrase this.

"Do you feel as if the ideas in Ideon were developed to your satisfaction? Did anything impede their development?"

Josh7289 wrote:
Why was episode 15 of the original series included in the Japanese DVD release, but not in the North American English dub-only DVD release? If the original series were to be released in North America with the Japanese voices intact, would episode 15 be included, if only for completion's sake?

It's my understanding the episode 15's deletion came at the request of Tomino himself.

I'd be curious to know why he didn't want it included.

joshjoshlol wrote:
/m/-Mecca wrote:
Quote:
How does it feel to know 0080 did in six episodes what you couldn't do in your whole body of work?

i totally went "oh snap!" at this one. so very, very harsh.

But very arguable!
Son-kun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:47 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

spoiler[Jerid, Kacricon, Buran, Ben Wooder, Jamitov, Blex, Henken, Bask, Apolly, Roberto, Franklin Bidan, and Paptimus Scirocco.]

The females: spoiler[Four, Rosamia, Emma, Reccoa, Lira, Mouar, Sarah, and Hilda Bidan. ]

Looks to me like more male characters died. Though I would agree most of the emphasis was on the female deaths.

Yeah, but for most of those male characters, I didn't feel much sympathy (admittedly, most of them deserved it). Nor was it as effective. When Four died, that was really tragic. Being submitted to fight a war that's not your own based on your abilities. In contrast Lala, willingly put herself forth. It seems to be a constant theme of having some female sacrifice. By the time Victory Gundam came around, it was like Tomino was just parodying himself by having a whole female squad getting killed off. It's pretty depressing.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:59 am Reply with quote
Son-kun wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Yeah, but for most of those male characters, I didn't feel much sympathy (admittedly, most of them deserved it). Nor was it as effective. When Four died, that was really tragic. Being submitted to fight a war that's not your own based on your abilities. In contrast Lala, willingly put herself forth. It seems to be a constant theme of having some female sacrifice. By the time Victory Gundam came around, it was like Tomino was just parodying himself by having a whole female squad getting killed off. It's pretty depressing.

I think Tomino fancies himself a feminist, because Zeta really pushed the idea that women are caught up in wars just as men are, but unfortunately, by calling attention to "women suffering because of men's wars", he unintentionally creates the sexist attitude that women are just pawns and aren't responsible for what happens in war.

A better question might be if Tomino considers himself a feminist, or if he intends to project feminist views onto his works.
Momaru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:07 am Reply with quote
Question 1: What do you think is the most significant change or improvement to the way anime has been produced from it's very beginnings (for instance, the original Astro Boy TV show you worked on) to present day?

Question 2: You have a new Gundam anime coming out called "Ring of Gundam". Could you please tell us about this project? Previously you had said you were done making Gundam anime. What made you change your mind and resulted in "Ring of Gundam"?

This is something I'd like to add to Mohaw52's question.
What do you think that the future holds for the anime industry when the current masters, like yourself, that shaped the anime art form into what it is today are gone? Do you feel that the medium will suffer because of a lack of new talent as your contemporaries (for example, Miyazaki) do?

Finally, I'd like to thank ANN, Tomino-sensei and all others involved for this awesome opportunity. I'm not going to lie, Tomino-sensei is my favorite anime director, so getting this chance blew my mind.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6