• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yoshiyuki Tomino - You be the Interviewer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaito2198

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:34 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
What is your speculation on where the the industry will be in the next 5 years, what direction is it going, and what will be your roll in steering it there.?

had been answered. TOMINO-SAN in 2002 once said he think even though the number of anime are changed every year, but good anime are created every year, so he don't worry about it and just let it be.
but he also say that when anime become more and more important and have influence now a day, the creator should know what is the responsibility they should be borne.

Quote:
Question: What was the happiest moment in your career?

never heard about this question, but it is hard to answer i think.

Quote:
Question: Mr. Tomino, have you ever thought that the runaway success of Gundam...

the answer is YES. he surely think so. because of gundam, he become a robot-anime-only director, and whenever he make new film, he always be asked for gundam and gundam level success.

Quote:
There's been this never ending rumor...

in my memory, this kind of things not happened.

Quote:
Question: Was it your intent to depict soldiering...

why young people is embrace is because audience are also young. and war is because he should use the robot to fight shows.

Quote:
Question 1 (Multi-part): Mr. Tomino, how did it feel to be a part of the black-and-white Dororo anime from 1969?...

TOMINO-SAN has directed 4 episodes in DORORO, but the chief is SUGII GISABURO, so maybe it is not a proper question i think.
is TOMINO-SAN a DORORO fan? he never talk about it. TEZUKA manga he mentioned are usually ATOM, LOST WORLD, BLACK JACK, but never heard about DORORO.

Quote:
Question 2: There have been rumors that during the production of Heavy Metal L-Gaim Mamoru Nagano...

in L-gaim, TOMINO-SAN tried to do make new guy grow up, so the characters and the back ground are surely made by NAGANO.

Quote:
Question 3: How do you feel about the "Kill-'Em-All Tomino" nickname some people have given you over the years, due to the manner many of your animes ended back in the 80s and early 90s?

has been asked many times. first i want to say "Kill-'Em-All TOMINO" is now not used in JAPAN almost times, and it's not a good nickname in fact, so maybe not a proper quiestion i think.
howere, in LOCARNO film festival, TOMINO-SAN said "Kill-'Em-All" is just because he don't want to say lies to audience.

Quote:
QI: What do you believe made Gundam such an important cultural Icon for Japan (1/1 scale statues, the impact on Mecha anime, etc)? How does it make you feel as its creator?

about this, TOMINO-SAN once say it's also unbelievable for him. and since then, he finally understand he can use the gundam not just to make a film, but also tell something to people. that's why he now is making RING OF GUNDAM.

Quote:
QII: When working on the original Gundam series, were there any roadblocks ...

has been answered many times. not only gundam, but all the film. not only TOMINO, but all creators face this kind of roadblocks.

Quote:
QIII: Are you pleased with the way new directors/animators are handling your 'child' or do you have any regrets in passing the regins?

sorry i don't know what it means, so i cannot answer.
kaito2198

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Do you have any series that you worked on you enjoyed the most?

had been answered.

Quote:
Do you feel that The Mecha Genre today was somewhat inspired by you and creating the original Gundam?

he probably say "i don't know, because i don't see anime."

Quote:
In the overall body of your work, how important do you feel Heavy Metal L-GAIM to be? How instrumental was your work there to your later efforts? How did it help you to develop as an artist?

it's a quite special question, but TOMINO-SAN seems not think L-gaim as a important film in his career.
still how to help you to develop an artist may would be a good question, i think.

Quote:
With all the alleged live-action anime mecha movies ...
How would you feel about the idea, given how Transformers...
Is the fact that some of your more recent Gundam installments ...
Speaking of which, when will we get Turn A?
How was the experience of being an animator on Astro Boy different from being an animator on Gundam?
Considering the limitations of the medium 25 years ago, how do you feel to see Hollywood being able to incorporate the same elements found in Dunbine for Avatar?

hollywood gundam is made by bandai, TOMINO-SAN can make any decision about that.
i am not sure, but TOMINO-SAN seems not so appreciate transformer.
about eva, please see the post my last post.
about dvd, please ask bandai-visual.
experience between ATOM and GUNDAM may be a good question.
Cameron's Avatar? maybe you can ask TOMINO-SAN.

Quote:
Question: Were you dissatisfied with the low ratings of Turn A Gundam? Do you think it did poorly because it was very unlike Gundam, even though it, at the same time, celebrated it? Or do you think people just expected a more conventional Gundam story?

the answer is all YES. please read his book "turn-a no iyashi ".

Quote:
Did you expect that Gundam will be very successful up to now when Gundam was first aired 30 years ago? Thanks.

no, TOMINO-SAN said 30 years ago he never thought this.

Quote:
Mr. Tomino, Are there any other genres besides mecha that you wish to explore in the future? Or will all these ideas be implemented while keeping the theme of giant robots as most of your other works?

TOMINO-SAN said many times that he has confidence to do every genres of anime, including MOE anime, but everyone see him as a robot-anime professor, so he is upset about this.
however, seems he can use gundam and robots to tell about something, so he still can use alternative choice: gundam or robots to make films.

Quote:
Mr. Tomino, Do you plan to write any more novels in the future or return to the Gundam franchise? (lol)

TOMINO-SAN said he cannot write novels, because he found that he is not a novelist nor a writer.(sadly!)
about gundam, now is RING OF GUNDAM.

Quote:
Question 1:Will there ever be a Gundam series centered around female Gundam pilots, or a single female lead Gundam pilot protagonist?

maybe not gundam, but TOMINO-SAN once in late 2005 has said "I want to make a anime for a beauty protagonist in male attire". but since SUNRISE couldn't give TOMINO-SAN a chance, so we still cannot see the female protagonist.

Quote:
Question 2o you think a Gundam series set on a different planet...
Or a series based around the idea of a race...
Question 3:Will there be a Gundam series that involves humanity breaching out into another galaxy beyond our own?

when making KING-GAINER, TOMINO-SAN say what he chose Siberia as back ground is because the earth is still worth to think and to love than the space, so space now is not so attracted for him.
and, TOMINO-SAN hate race story, because without depending on race story, human story is still interesting enough to make and watch.
kaito2198

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Question 1: If hell froze over and the plans came up for a Dororo revival,would you accept the work?

in fact TOMINO-SAN don't admire TEZUKA manga so much, but surely he was a TEZUKA fan in childhood and a worker in MUSHI production, so maybe ask him "if have chance, would you accept TEZUKA manga animation" would be better.

Quote:
Question 2: In the original Mobile Suit Gundam,were there any characters that you took out? Any plot that didn't make it in? Everyone loves Char,was there someone else that existed before him? Was he the Final Design?

about the original plot of gundam, there are some character changed, deleted, added. for example, CHAR is one of oldest character in TOMINO's story, however he is not the last rival of AMURO. this is the complicated, but surely can find some information on internet.

Quote:
Your former colleague Yasuhiko Yoshikazu has his own manga ...

in GUNDAM-ACE 2009/10, they set a TOMINO x YASUHIKO talk. in that talk, when YASUHIKO ask TOMINO how about THE ORIGIN, TOMINO-SAN said: "it's not a question I can answer now." YASUHIKO asked: "when THE ORIGIN ends, would you mind to say your thinks to me?" TOMINO said: "NO, I will still say nothing, because It's your work, I don't have any right to comment to a writer's work."

Quote:
In Zeta Gundam, why did the Titans launch a full-scale, direct attack on the colony laser? Why didn't they consider the very real possibility that their entire fleet would be destroyed all at once?

story detail maybe forgotten by TOMINO-SAN, in fact there may be a no answer question, cause it's only because STORY NEEDS THEM DIE THERE.

Quote:
"Do you feel as if the ideas in Ideon were developed to your satisfaction? Did anything impede their development?"

this year when one of japanese cable TV plays IDEON, there is a interview that TOMINO-SAN said "even i was the writer and director of IDEON, I still think it is a well-made film." he also said one time that "IDEON is the film I want to see one more time before I pass away."

Quote:
Question 1: What do you think is the most significant change ...

in his field TV ANIMATION, TOMINO-SAN always picks ATOM(ASTRO BOY), if mention the key change in early japan anime.

Quote:
Question 2: You have a new Gundam anime coming out called "Ring of Gundam". Could you please tell us about this project? Previously you had said you were done making Gundam anime. What made you change your mind and resulted in "Ring of Gundam"?

this is just a on-time excellent question!!! I also want to hear about this!!!

Quote:
This is something I'd like to add to Mohaw52's question.
What do you think that the future holds for the anime industry when the current masters, like yourself, that shaped the anime art form into what it is today are gone? Do you feel that the medium will suffer because of a lack of new talent as your contemporaries (for example, Miyazaki) do?

TOMINO-SAN usually says that let new generation do their own films and generation, but this question is about how TOMINO position himself and the same generation worker like MIYAZAKI, so maybe this would be an interesting question.
kaito2198

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In Mobile Suit Gundam Seed/Seed Destiny, many people criticized that the storylines couldn't live up to their expectation. What if we keep updating the Gundam theme corresponding to the current events and add some few twists on it? Would that work?
In your best opinion, what would you have done to improve the story and characters of Gundam Seed, Gundam Seed Destiny, and Gundam 00, if you were the director of these series above? What else would you like to see and do? Question

sorry, but i think TOMINO-SAN would never answer this kind of question. however if you want to know how he think about this 3 gundams, you can ask in other topic.

Quote:
Q1: At least from my experience with the English speaking anime community, Yoshiyuki Tomino anime is typically broadly defined as "depressing"...

in LOCARNO movie festival, some people has asked the same question. TOMINO-SAN's answer is that is just only because he doesn't want to tell lie to the audience, especially children.

Quote:
Q2: People often debate over the presence of an "anti-war" theme ...

in 2005 NHK's GUNDAM special, TOMINO-SAN said the anti-war is not the theme of gundam, but gundam did show that "THE WAR IS CURLY, SO STOP IT". it is not purposely made, but it's a really message in gundam.

Quote:
Q3: (related to the second question, but more broad) At lot of people try to search for a specific overall "message" or "moral" in your series. Do you think each show has something like that? Does it matter whether it does?

it's a good question, because there has been few years that Japanese don't ask this kind of question.
in 1999, TOMINO-SAN once said that his theme is "TO FIND THE INDEPENDENCE, OBLIGATION AND RIGHTS OF MANKIND, AND TO FIND THE KARMA THAT MANKIND MADE."

Quote:
Question: Looking back, do you feel more at ease as a Director or as a Writer? Why?

TOMINO-SAN always says he is not a writer, so maybe he would says he is a director i quess.

Quote:
Question: Do you think that working on several different series not related to the Gundam franchise, such as Overman King Gainer, has allowed you to express new thoughts and ideas more freely?

THE ANSWER is yes, but TOMINO-SAN always says he doesn't think making freely is a good thing at all. still, it's a question not asked, so maybe it's good to ask him.

Quote:
Question: Regarding Turn A Gundam's unconventional style. Did you intentionally want "ugly" or "strange" mecha designs for the series to combat the necessity of toy marketing? In other words, because the mecha didn't look like toys, the anti-war message would not be contradicted by the marketing?

even TURN A's look like beard, TOMINO-SAN still wanted TURN A has a good sells in toys and software. surely the look of TURN A is best suited with TURN A's classic and future taste world, but TOMINO-SAN was not a person who will intentionally damage the sells. you can see his essay "TURN A no iyashi".

Quote:
Also, would you work with Syd Mead again on another project?

i think even TOMINO-SAN wants to work with MR. Mead again, BANDAI will never allow that.

Quote:
Question: I recently read Peter Carey's Wrong About Japan ...I was wondering if the matter of selling merchandise ever compromised certain story elements or certain directions for the series.

in fact, all TOMINO work is compromise. for example, IDEON, big ugly design(TOMINO-SAN says so Anime hyper). TOMINO-SAN really hates that at first, but sponsor said this design cannot be changed, so no matter how he hates it, he had no choice but using it.
and here is TOMINO's think: "using this ugly big red to make a NORMAL DRAMA is impossible, because big ugly and red looks will destroy the NORMAL DRAMA. so if want to fight with this design, the only way can do is make a UNUSUAL DRAMA." so there is how IDEON be bornd.

Quote:
Question: Will we ever see a remake of Space Runaway Ideon?

TOMINO-SAN said it's no necessary to make IDEON remake.

Quote:
Question 2: Will ZZ Gundam get a movie compilation?

he said that he doesn't want it, but if SUNRISE say so...

Quote:
Question 3: Are you completely done with the Gundam franchise?

NOW he is making RING OF GUNDAM.

Quote:
Q: What are your thoughts about the upcoming Hollywood 3D-film movie adaptation of Astro Boy?

in 2008's TEZUKA ACADEMY, he has seen the trailer of ATOM, and his reaction is "............"(really).

Quote:
Q2: If there is an offer, are you willing to use your work e.g. M.S.G. for a Hollywood adaptation (live action or 3D animation)?

TOMINO-SAN once said he does't think gundam as LA in hollywood is a good idea, because gundam maybe not proper to make by LA.
however, he doesn't say he unlike that, and in fact RING OF GUNDAM is just make by 3D animation. still, he cannot make any decision cause BANDAI and SUNRISE is the boss of GUNDAM.

Quote:
Has there ever been a dream project you've wanted to make but have never had the chance to do so?

I know several project as so, but NO ONE ASK THIS QUESTION BEFORE, so this would be a good question i think.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:51 am Reply with quote
kaito2198, I appreciate your approaching some of these with answers Tomino has alread given, but Tomino is the type who can be intentionally vague or capricious, as all directors are, so even asking some of these again might produce a different answer.

I am interested in knowing what "the war is curly" means, though. Is "cruel" the right word? Perhaps it's lost in translation?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kaito2198

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Mr. Tomino- What are your feelings on Gundam series not created by you ...

TOMINO-SAN always says he doesn't want to see the gundam not made by himself.

Quote:
Mr. Tomino, I know Turn A Gundam was meant to be a celebration of the Gundam franchise as a whole by representing the past series as part of Turn A's history...

TOMINO-SAN once said that TURN A includes EVERY GUNDAM BEFORE AND AFTER TURN A.

Quote:
Do you still have enmity towards Victory Gundam?

several times TOMINO-SAN said he really likes V GUNDAM, but most time he says he doesn't like V GUNDAM. this is because no matter how V GUNDAM well made, it is still a sick story, or "TOMINO's carte". also, when making V gundam, there are many trouble and betrayal that time, so every time when TOMINO-SAN think about V GUNDAM, he would also think about those bad memories. that is why most time he says he hate V GUNDAM. still, maybe can ask this quiestion.

Quote:
Question: Mr. Tomino, Gundam in general takes a very anti-war stance ... how do you reconcile the strong anti-war messages and the celebration of conflict that is Gundam at its most fundamental?

i think he will says "there is no reconciliation between them, the only thing he did and he should do is not to tell lies."

Quote:
Question: A major theme in Gundam is that understanding one another can act as a symbol of peace. Do you hold out hope that humans will stop infighting? Do you believe it is necessary for humans to make a permanent peace with one another in order to truly evolve as a species? Or is war a necessary evil that spurs the human race on to greatness?

for the first two question, TOMINO-SAN says NEVER in and out of his works.
he says that is necessary to have own force, but he also thinks that war is very stupid action that people do.

Quote:
What recent artists of the younger generation do you admire? What works of theirs stand out to you?

TOMINO-SAN usually doesn't ask this kind of question in my memory, but if lucky, maybe we can hear his anser. I know some director he appreciate this few years like HOSODA MAMORU or HARA KEIICHI, but in general, he doesn't talk about this oftentimes.

Quote:
In your story for the Gundam Evolve 5 short Quess has a much happier fate thanks to Amuro, which is a significant change. If you were creating Char's Counterattack today, how do you think the story might have been different?

i don't know how he will answer question like this one. surely it will be different, but how? i don't know.
still, when Z GUNDAM TRILOGY finished, TOMINO-SAN said his gundam movie will become 7 EPISODES - GUNDAM TRILOGY, Z GUNDAM TRILOGY, and CCA. that means he think CCA now is good enough and can link to bright Z GUNDAM TRILOGY.
kaito2198

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I appreciate your approaching some of these with answers Tomino has alread given, but Tomino is the type who can be intentionally vague or capricious, as all directors are, so even asking some of these again might produce a different answer.

i totally agree, especially TOMINO-SAN likes to talk more frankly to the foreigners, so i think this is a good idea.
still, please let me finish all the question. .......or maybe it is not necessary to do this work? i have no idea, so please tell me, thanks.

Quote:
I am interested in knowing what "the war is curly" means, though. Is "cruel" the right word? Perhaps it's lost in translation?

yes, sorry for miss spell. embarrassing miss Anime hyper
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:16 am Reply with quote
kaito2198 wrote:
Quote:
I appreciate your approaching some of these with answers Tomino has alread given, but Tomino is the type who can be intentionally vague or capricious, as all directors are, so even asking some of these again might produce a different answer.

i totally agree, especially TOMINO-SAN likes to talk more frankly to the foreigners, so i think this is a good idea.
still, please let me finish all the question. .......or maybe it is not necessary to do

No, please continue. It's very insightful. I like reading what Tomino would say, he's an interesting man.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kaito2198

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Question 1: Muteki Choujin Zambot 3 is one of your other famous shows, but it is not all that well-known in the United States. Could you tell us a little about some of the hardships and unique aspects of working on Zambot 3 at the time, as well as your current opinion of the series?

this is a question that not asked usually, so it is good to ask TOMINO-SAN.

Quote:
Question 2: You worked on more episodes of the original Tetsuwan Atom than anyone else. What springs to mind when you look back on those times?

in 2002 and 2009 on TV, he saw the episodes he made, and both time TOMINO-SAN only said: "what a embarrassing work!", because he thinks he is lack of skill that time. still, he thinks he had said in those episodes by his words, though those episodes are partly originally made by TEZUKA.

Quote:
Question 3: Back before his untimely death, you worked with Tadao Nagahama on a number of shows such as Reideen and Voltes V. As he is no longer with us, and his name is not that well-known in the US, would you be able to tell us about your experiences with him?

THIS QUESTION IS VERY EXCELLENT AND VERY IMPORTANT, PLEASE ASK TOMINO-SAN THIS QUESTION. japanese are shy, so they don't ask this question, though it is very impotant.

Quote:
Question 4: Similarly, long-time animator Yoshinori Kanada passed away recently. As he worked on some of the shows for which you directed, could you tell us about your experiences with him as well?

KANADA-SAN worked with TOMINO only in ZAMBOT3 and DAITARN3, so maybe the answer would be shorter than NAGAHAMA's. still, a valuable question i think.

Quote:
Is space travel something you personally would want to take part in

in tokyo university talks, T0MINO-SAN said that he liked to do space travel once, but when he talked to the spaceman Mamoru Mohri and Soichi Noguchi, he knew how hard the space trip is. so he now thinks the earth is more comfortable, especially he is an old man now Anime hyper.

Quote:
Mr. Tomino, Why did you make Gundam F91 into a movie instead of a TV series?

F91 is originally planned for movie+TV series, but since the movie sells not well, so the F91 TV SERIES disappeared, though some ideas turn into "V GUNDAM".

Quote:
It's my understanding that Gundam was originally conceived as a series about infantry using powered armor, as in Starship Troopers. How would the series have been different if this idea was used in the final version?

GUNDAM is ROBOT anime since the project started. the powerd suit is only the inspiration of design in gundam and guncannon.

Quote:
Question: Was the happier ending depicted at the end of the Zeta Gundam movies a reflection of a happier attitude from yourself or a need to cut out certain parts of the Gundam canon you felt uncomfortable with? And do you regret not having the movies cover more ground and having more new animation, rather than the mix of old and new?

for TOMINO-SAN, Z is a symbol for the sickness of himself and society, so when the BANDAI-VISUAL send the Z movie plan to him, he decided to make it different into a positive attitude.
about new animation, of course TOMINO-SAN regretted about that. but in fact the real reason is BANDAI didn't give enough money to make it. TOMINO-SAN surely regretted about this, though he is satisfied in the last of Z3.

Quote:
Here's one: Since Astro Boy was the first anime to have an ongoing plot and the one that really started anime's popularity, what was it like being the director at such a young age?

TOMINO-SAN said because the schedule was almost mission impossible, so he almost cannot think anything but just doing and doing every week, every month, and every year.
still, it maybe a interesting question to ask him.

Quote:
Hello Mr Tomino I was wondering since Seiichi NAKATANI was the Animation director in Gundam 00 and key Animaton in Gundam seed, Will he be involed in much more gundam titles (of course 00 movie)

i think TOMINO-SAN cannot answer this question, because the animator control and hire is producer's work.

Quote:
Question 1: If you had the chance to approach ZZ Gundam in a different way(similar to the Z Gundam movie trilogy), would you change anything?

After Z trilogy, TOMINO-SAN said he would never make ZZ remake. however, if BANDAI and SUNRISE want so...

Quote:
Question 2: Is there any way you could influence the release of ZZ Gundam and Turn A Gundam in the U.S? It seems like the older Gundam shows have reached a brick wall over here in terms of releases.

business thing is all concerned about BANDAI-VISUAL.

Quote:
Question 3: What is your opinion on Gundam Unicorn, given the fact that it takes place shortly after Char's Counterattack?

TOMINO-SAN said several times that he has no need to see any gundam that he doesn't touch, though it's Char about story.
TOMINO-SAN said if possible, he wants to direct all the work of GUNDAM. but he can't, so he is very upset.
kaito2198

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
1. You worked on the original Astro Boy series and directed many episodes, what were the most important lessons you learned during this time?

very good question, cause although TOMINO-SAN has made numerous anime, few people ask it before.

Quote:
2. Is there any character you've created that you feel is most like yourself?

His characters are too many to answer, i think. sure TOMINO-SAN did answer several characters in specific works...

Quote:
3. Which directors do you think people should look at more? Which of their works makes you think that they stand out?

in my memory, he doesn't often answer this kind of question, because he thinks all the animation directors are his rival. maybe he would share his favorite anime director and work, but i guess more possible to hear TOMINO-SAN says: "don't look at others, it's enough to looking at me!(laugh)".

Quote:
4. What do you think makes you stand out as a director? Which of your works is most representative of your directing style? Which of your works is your favorite?

maybe can ask for this question.
though TOMINO-SAN always says that is because he is lucky enough, but in fact according to his co-worker old the days like TAKAHASHI RYOUSUKE or SUGII GISABURO, he was a very hardworking and studious person in MUSHI production. after MUSHI production, once time he was laughed as an idiot in animation to his face outside the MUSHI production, but he endured it and asked any work he can done everywhere for more than 10 years. so why he would success is also because he was a long-suffering guy.

Quote:
5. Overman King Gainer has a distinct ending but leaves itself open for more. Did you purposefully leave the series open and if so what would you have done if in continued?

the answer is yes. TOMINO-SAN said so in some KING-GAINER book(sorry forgot). in fact, TOMINO-SAN always make the series' end not totally closed, therefore if possible, he can do new stories later. for example, turn A is so.

Quote:
6. Your series tend to be either very serious or lighthearted comedies with action. Which do you prefer to work on?

it is a good question i think, because TOMINO-SAN often doesn't answer this question straight.
but TOMINO-SAN once said, in his mind, the comedy and serious are the same thing and can survive together, so he think he doesn't have any difference in light and heavy stories(though it has).

Quote:
7. As I understand it, Turn A Gundam was originally supposed to have a female protagonist. Why did it change and how would the series been different if such were the case?

no, turn A's protagonist was made as a male originally. TOMINO-SAN surely wants to use female as a protagonist, but not in turn A.

Quote:
8. Due to various circumstances Sayla Mass was unable to be used as a main character in later Gundam series. What would you have done with her character and how would she have altered later series stories?

Sayla is an anti-Char character in later seires , but maybe can ask TOMINO-SAN more detailed.

Quote:
10. You have made multiple adaptions of your anime TV series in other media such as movies, books, and manga. Usually each iteration is different. What is your philosophy in that regard?

this is a VERY GOOD and VALUABLE question to ask. TOMINO-SAN usually not answer straight but only say :" the only thing is to remind myself the difference in different media suck as anime, novels, and lyrics." i hope can here more deep answer also.

Quote:
11. Of all the ways you have influenced anime, what one aspect would you want to be your most lasting legacy?

no one ask this before, i think.

Quote:
Question: Sentou Mecha Xabungle was a pretty light-hearted ...

although not mention xabungle, but TOMINO-SAN in his essay said direct serious film is like throwing straight ball full power. if you thirow straight ball every time, you will break your shoulder, so sometimes you need to throw some breaking ball. that's why he has lite series and heavy series.

Quote:
Alternate Question: What do you think of Turn A Gundam's reception in Japan, and would you like to see it available in North America?

TOMINO-SAN said he is disappointed with audience's reaction in japan that time, but he still thought there is a correct direction that TURN A has gone. and in fact, although compare with SEED or others, TURN A's audience are not so much, but a huge ration of people who had watched TURN A would say this is a good film, so surely, he would be glad to let more people to see his work.
kaito2198

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Q1: To think that you were in charged of creating a kid's program ...
Therefore, would you agree to that observation and if so, why?

i think this is a very challenging question, and i also like to know how TOMINO-SAN will answer this QUESTION THAT JAPANESE WOULD NEVER ASK FOR, so please pick up this question Anime hyper

Quote:
Q2: Technology doesn't make war any better ... Do you hold any resentment towards Bandai's glorification on marketing Gundam as just another image label, thus result in them disrespecting your ideals of telling a story about anti-war?

i think this is a question that TOMINO-SAN would be very hard to answer, because TOMINO-SAN is hired by BANDAI and SUNRISE(he is a SUNRISE's man but a freelancer). TOMINO-SAN did told some thinks about the stance of BANDAI, but as a ROBOT ANIMATION director, he should understand and accept this contradiction.
maybe you can ask this challanging question.

Quote:
Q3: You once said that as a creator, you see yourself having a responsibility with your creation. And that's a duty to create something that will challenge ... how they treat the emerging new hopes of humanity. As your view on just how the government officials, radical zealous groups, and the rest of society's norms will do to an individual's hopes and dreams about the future?

this kind of question is not usually heard in japan, so please ask him.

that's all i know about how TOMINO-SAN answer the question post this time. hope i didn't post too late. if anyone have opinion or doubt, please tell me. thanks for everybody.
jccl8000

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quote
[quote="kaito2198"]
Quote:
In Mobile Suit Gundam Seed/Seed Destiny, many people criticized that the storylines couldn't live up to their expectation. What if we keep updating the Gundam theme corresponding to the current events and add some few twists on it? Would that really work for you at all?

In your best opinion, what would you have done to improve the story and characters of Gundam Seed, Gundam Seed Destiny, and Gundam 00, if you were the director of these series above? What else would you like to see and do? Question

Quote:
Sorry, but I think TOMINO-SAN would never answer this kind of question. however if you want to know how he think about this 3 gundams, you can ask in other topic.

Personally, I'd really like to disagree with your opinion. Neutral Sad I'm sure that Tomino-Sensei would have definitely aligned every single Gundam Series along with his visions of perpetual peace and prosperity, and the idea that humanity could reach beyond the borders of conflicts and confrontations. I've said so because there have been many Biblical Reference in Gundam Metaseries, such as GENESIS, Messiah, and so on. Confused

Wouldn't you like to agree with me upon that? Hmm?

Thanks, bye!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
sfried

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Question: I noticed many of your [Tomino's] works contain heavy emphasis about war and combat engagements "not being a game" (Gainer, Zeta Gundam). Do these messages correlate with your views about certain media, in particular your speech in the CEDEC 2009 keynote about the evils of videogames being "unproductive"? In other words, do you think the media's portrayal of violence is destroying our society?

Question with regards to making a series: Outside of animation & manga, what novels or live-action television shows have influenced you in your work, particularly storytelling, pacing, and characterization? (If these are too many to list, it would help to limit the mentions to within the science fiction genre if possible.)

Last edited by sfried on Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:56 pm Reply with quote
sfried wrote:
Question: I noticed many of your [Tomino's] works contain heavy emphasis about war and combat engagements "not being a game" (Gainer, Zeta Gundam). Do these messages correlate with your views about certain media, in particular your speech in the CEDEC 2009 keynote about the evils of videogames being "unproductive"? In other words, do you think the media's portrayal of violence is destroying our society?

Question with regards to making a series: Outside of animation, what live-action television shows have influenced you in your work, particularly storytelling & pacing? (If these shows are too many to list, it would help to limit the mentions to within the science fiction genre if possible.)

No offense, but the Q&A already happened.

He did clarify his statement on video games, though.
kaito2198

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Personally, I'd really like to disagree with your opinion. Neutral Sad I'm sure that Tomino-Sensei would have definitely aligned every single Gundam Series along with his visions of perpetual peace and prosperity, and the idea that humanity could reach beyond the borders of conflicts and confrontations. I've said so because there have been many Biblical Reference in Gundam Metaseries, such as GENESIS, Messiah, and so on. Confused

Wouldn't you like to agree with me upon that? Hmm?

Thanks, bye!
Oh, I don't mean that but for those reasons:
1. The host admire everyone not to ask about other GUNDAMs.
2. Sunrise also doesn't want Tomino-san say so.
3. Tomino-san is managered by Sunrise, so he has to follow Sunrise's policy.
4. For Tomino-san personally, he used to say he doesn't want to see any Gundam that isn't made by himself when asked about SEED or UNICORN. That's because he is a creator, so he only can talk about those works in a creator's eye. But at the same time, he couldn't be allowed to say anything might damage the Gundam business, so the only way he can choose is to say nothing.
5. Finally, the most important thing is now Sunrise allows every newbies to make new Gundams EXCEPT TOMINO-SAN HIMSELF, so that will be a pain for himself to ask him about other Gundams.

That's what I mean that maybe Tomino-san would never answer about this kind of question. My mother language is not English so I can answer it very well, and if I mad any mistake, I apologize for it. Thanks a lot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6