• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's Happening with ADV Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_V_

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Does Sojitz still control 20% of "Section 23"?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
Blood- wrote:
For the benefit of those who may not know, part of Nozomi's business plan is to license supah-niche titles subbed, since dubbing them would virtually guarantee losing money. I'm a dub-lubber myself, but my philosophy is always: better a sub than nothing at all.

Unless you live in Spain or France, since you will be forced by law to include a dub, regardless you lose money or not. Rolling Eyes

Language laws, eh? We've got 'em in Canada too, but not to that extent, I don't think. However, if you are a business in Quebec, the French text on any of your signs must be TWICE as big as the text of any other language or you'll be getting a nice little visit from the Language Police. Oi vey.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Does it even matter whether the 20% stake actually affected anything or not? After what they did to ADV, the idea of Sojitz being left holding 20% of nothing just amuses me to no end.

Kudos to ADV for pulling this off.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:39 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:

This hasn't been disclosed.

But I can tell you with absolute certainty that no, they do not.
Shale

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Given what Tempest has said on the matter, I feel pretty secure in the belief that if this arrangement was going to involve Sojitz, it wouldn't have happened at all.
Robert Frazer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Pardon me for just dropping in like this with a question rather than contributing to the discussion, but with all of this reshuffling does anyone know about the position of ADV's manga division now? I ask because even though it was moribund for the past year ADV Manga did own a number of titles that I was interested in (such as Chrono Crusade and in particular Gunslinger Girl), and it'd be good to know what the status of those licenses is now.
child of Lilith

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this change will kick start their manga department. I’d love for more Gunslinger Girl to come out.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:02 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Separation of assets probably. If company A owns asset 1, and company B handles the asset for company A, a future bankruptcy of company B won't affect the asset.

Could also be that they needed outside investment to make this work, so the new investors might own the assets (AEsir Holdings owns the IP and licenses) while the company owned by the old owner (Ledford) has an exclusive right to market the titles. They then split the revenue.

There you go, two possible reasons to setup multiple companies. There are more...

-t

And those all make sense, including the difficulty of the Japanese to run them down as other posters have suggested. I guess where I am is it all seems a bit excessive. Even by the reasons given, one of which I considered. In the first scenario, company A is still the lynch pin, so the extra risk aversion gained from creating more than two separate bodies is negligible. In the second scenario, considering the source, it is highly likely that all of the investors know each other pretty well. So it would make more sense to consolidate, which means that that in and of itself is not the reason but an effect of the reason. The hiding from the Japanese makes a little more sense, but how many divisions do you really need to walk away scot free. In my experience not many at all. The increase in litigation is exponential, and dissuades them from trying in the first place.

Again I am not challenging the validity of any of these statements, like I said it just seems a bit excessive. I will definitely be interested in more news as it unfolds to see where this is all headed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bayoab

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Robert Frazer wrote:
Pardon me for just dropping in like this with a question rather than contributing to the discussion, but with all of this reshuffling does anyone know about the position of ADV's manga division now? I ask because even though it was moribund for the past year ADV Manga did own a number of titles that I was interested in (such as Chrono Crusade and in particular Gunslinger Girl), and it'd be good to know what the status of those licenses is now.
I do not recall the source on this but ADV manga no longer holds the licenses to (almost) all of their series. Most of them have either expired without renewal (manga contracts are short).
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Greed1914, mangastudent, and tempest, I appreciated all of your answers to my questions about the financial aftermath aspect of the deal. They've definitely helped shed more light on it for me. It seemed like Sojitz had a slim chance if any at getting anything out of them from the outset, but now it looks increasing more like they were killing two (or more) birds with one stone by restructuring to also help pay creditors (aside from wanting to run under a different brand banner).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:26 am Reply with quote
Robert Frazer wrote:

I don't really know whether or not they still have it, but I do know they were still printing Chrono Crusade as of last year, and you can still find copies in most book stores. I'm assuming it's still being printed, but that's just a somewhat educated guess.

(Also, if you'll excuse the pimping, Chrono Crusade is my favorite manga and I definitely recommend picking it up if you have a chance.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:01 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
_V_ wrote:

This hasn't been disclosed.

But I can tell you with absolute certainty that no, they do not.

I would hope not. I mean I would imagine this move on their part has to be partially based on their dealings with Sojitz and how to get away and out of that open sore.
JINROH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:05 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
However lenders will shy away from lending money to any company that appears to be crippled, regardless of security. As you said, they don't want to end up in a position where they are trying to auction off seized assets. Whatsmore, I wasn't referring only to fully secured creditors. Non-secured creditors really don't want to lend money to a crippled company for obvious reasons.

Finally, I was also referring to investors. Who's going to invest in a crippled corporation ?

-Chris

Investors,will also tend to shy away from companies and LLC's,that play shell games,with their past partners and creditors.Not that the artist formerly known as Prince,err,I mean ADV is doing that sort of thing.I
am sure this all on the up and up.

I truly,sincerely hope this all works out for the absolute best.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:33 pm Reply with quote
JINROH wrote:

Investors,will also tend to shy away from companies and LLC's,that play shell games,with their past partners and creditors.Not that the artist formerly known as Prince,err,I mean ADV is doing that sort of thing.I
am sure this all on the up and up.

I truly,sincerely hope this all works out for the absolute best.

While I also hope for the best, I have to agree that getting new investors and business partners might be difficult based on the current manuvering. Within the next fiscal quarter or two we ought to know for certain.

Regardless of the resaon, a restructuring such as this always has the potential to be a double-edged sword.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Thank you very much for the clear and concise article Chris. However, the fact ADV is no more isn't a easy fact to swallow. I've seen Geneon go chapter seven and now ADV does the same. In a sense, there is some sort of peace knowing that the remaining titles may be finished by Sentai Flims (but whetever that is true or not I do not know.)

All I can say is, Thanks ADV. I've seen some awesome shows that you licensed over the years. Including my favorite slice of life show Azumanga Daioh and several others. Thanks for all the great anime licensed and great actors as well. There aren't many companies now and days that actually include English audio and do it well either.

Best of luck, hopefully this won't mean too many people will be out of a job for long.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7