• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(A) Certain Scientific Railgun (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:54 pm Reply with quote
When, Season 2 was announced, I was worried on how the anime will approach in maintaining the "girl friendship power" theme they emphasized back in Season 1. This is true especially since in the Sisters arc where it's mostly Mikoto going all alone in that event. Thankfully while basking in the tears of most of the original manga and Index novel fans, Episode 21 maintained that by having Mikoto tell her friends there are darker forces involved in which she dealt with. While I kind of preferred her to confess most of the major stuff that happened in the Sisters arc (especially the part where she has clones), at least it shows that Mikoto is not alone and things have gone a lot more efficiently and quickly.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Well the major difference here is that with the Sisters, Mikoto's friends had absolutely nothing to do with it. They were completely unrelated parties so there'd be no reason to drag them into it.

With last season and now this one, the other girls were already involved in it. They knew Haruue/Febri, already were attached to them and have a direct investment in their continued well being.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
at least it shows that Mikoto is not alone and things have gone a lot more efficiently and quickly.

This was a big surprise and relief for me and the anime writer set me up for it perfectly. I had this sinking "here we go again" feeling when Mikoto started out insisting to herself that she absolutely had to keep her friends "out of it" when she realized she had to go to bat for Febri. Then there was that turning point when she had her hand on the doorknob and Kuroko just out of the shower. Very nice turn in the story there.

I also like how Kongou has turned out to be a good person in spite of her annoying a-ha-ha-ha-I'm-so-lofty affectation. She didn't know it but she was key in getting Mikoto to open up to trust her friends for the first time, and she really seems to be doing her part by following up leads and phoning them in. A 2nd tier character that develops like that really fills out a story.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:15 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I also like how Kongou has turned out to be a good person in spite of her annoying a-ha-ha-ha-I'm-so-lofty affectation.

It's a shame they haven't touched on Mitsuko's back story and exactly why she's like that and why she wants friends so much. I've said this before, but her manga incarnation is one of the best characters. They are doing pretty good with her anime self, but still...
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Those are little things, but they explain how this project is, unfortunately, not a high class anime (though nevertheless good):

Episode #21 could be good if authors would not make main heroine to be an airhead again. After all the crazy things that have happened, hearing the words of frog doctor about how spoiler[blond girl is artificial, she answered "No way, this can not be". There was neither base for even slightest disbelief in frog-doctors' conclusion], nor such turn of events could be even remotely surprising in the settings of the anime.

Authors also have left a lot of seams in this episode with the rest of the girls all of sudden not asking the frog doctor about spoiler[condition of little blond girl, which has lead to whole "drama" about whether main heroine should tell her friends about little blond girl's condition or not. Also wind-fan girl all of sudden initiated talk on how much she is glad that she shares everything with her two friends -- very conveniently to make main heroine thinking to open up to her friends.]

Finally, whole "computer sounds", video of text scrolling and operator typing huge amounts text into computer while in search/research/hacking is as ridiculous as ever -- they took it right from 1980s. Seriously, like half of the time authors think that this show is for six year olds. But I doubt that even a six year old imagines computer activity to be anything like this.

Last edited by MaxSouth on Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:55 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Seriously, like half of the time authors think that this show is for six year olds. But I doubt that even a six year old imagines computer activity to be anything like this.

Can you name a single video drama (movie, cartoon, TV show) that ever treated computer science with any degree of realism? They sometimes get a few details right but never the whole thing.

Another topic that they never do well is aviation. Interestingly I have seen some space dramas, Planetes comes to mind, that does actually handle the topic well. But I digress.

The USUAL-to-better Hollywood drama involving high info tech will have a scene that goes something like this:

Actor A: Damn we need to find out what the NSA knows or doesn't know!

Actor B (sit down at the keyboard): clickety clickecty clik. Wow they sure have beefed up their security since last week. They have gone to full alert. This will take some doing.

Actor A: Oh, damn ---

Actor B: clickety clickety. Ok, we're in. So what did you need?

I have seen this kind of thing dozens of times in Tom-Cruise-budget (many millions-$) hollywood movies. Usually it is much less reality based and more fanciful. And you can muster the dudgeon to complain about how ACSR handles info tech? Amazing.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Minority Report is not a tiny bit less annoying in its nonsensical portrayal of some aspects of the future than this anime; in fact, it could be even more insulting to common sense (though I will not dwell on it since it is off-topic). The point is I have no tolerance to such things no matter how many projects portray the nonsense and/or how big their budget was. Two thousand two hundred twenty two wrongs do not make a right.

But, as I wrote above, this is little thing. Scenarists' work is slightly more important: they should not be so transparent in use of their "scenario vehicle".
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 22
Oh God, spoiler[ITEM and their swimming scenes were almost priceless] to watch this episode.

Eh, I don't have much to say but obviously, never trust anime characters with shining glasses especially scientists who does experiments in Academy City. Speaking of experiments, whoa...plot twist at the end there.

Febri's new dress looks cute though. I want to see her in it next episode!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:59 pm Reply with quote
man, they really could have used Akbar this episode
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Jedi Master wrote:
Dude, "she" is just a series of drawings. "Legality" should never come into question with those.

And this is what we call a "cop out."

Well for visual forms of media such as anime/cartoons, manga, games and even visual novels/eroge, not their actual age it's their appearance. You can have a typical female lead that is 16yrs old with the body of super model. The opposite also goes into effect and you could have a female teacher 30 yrs old and look like a little girl.

Still i'll admit it's a cop-out, but nothing can really be changed about it at this point anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 Episode 22

Ah Therestina. It's nice to see you again.
spoiler[Looks like her words to Mikoto how some people can't be like her is a hint on why the Study Corporation created Febri. Especially the scene where Saten learns no one has heard of the winners of the Academic Assembly.

So we got Team ITEM fanservice and their job to hunt down the Study Corporation. Looks like Team ITEM will be back, possibly helping Team Railgun against Study Corporation.

And now we found out why Febri knows Mikoto's name. Turns out Shinobu taught her that so she could be protected by Mikoto. Too bad Aritomi, the leader of Study, knew of Shinobu's betrayal and destroys the data for the neutralizer lollipops and prepares for Janie, possibly Febri's older sister.]
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:31 pm Reply with quote
The ultimate punishment for this newest iteration of the same damn villain in this franchise...
Cut just the right tendons in his elbows and shoulders so he can never raise his above his chin and he can never ever again push his glasses to his temples.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Laughing

That would be the ultimate punishment for a villain like him. The agony of feeling his glasses slide down his nose and not being able to do anything about it...
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Anyone want to lay any bets as to whether Shinobu and Mikoto managed to spoiler[spoof the incapacitating drug]? In any case it was a stupid move to trust that guy.

I just loved that bit of animation when Mikoto was collapsing to the floor, her arm then wrist then hand slowly slipping through Shinobu's fingers. We need more like that.

And it is always fun when Kuroko tries to feel up Mikoto and pays the price for it. You go girl.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:57 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Anyone want to lay any bets as to whether Shinobu and Mikoto managed to spoiler[spoof the incapacitating drug]? In any case it was a stupid move to trust that guy.

Man, there's been quite of bit of debate on Mikoto's actions on that final scene on whether she should have called on his bluff and attack him or something sensible like bring Kuroko along just in case. I'd imagine Mikoto was too worried about Febrie's well-being and wasn't thinking straight.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 68 of 72