• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Darker Than Black: Meteor of the Gemini (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Yasunori Ishii should be credited with Hellsing's score, which was excellent.

Now that makes sense! I'll have to get that Encyc. thing fixed, then. Hopefully he won't put too many Engrish lyrics in this series like he did with Hellsing.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
What the heck? Did they just spoiler[kill off both Yin and Hei in the same episode and this is only the second? Mad Since this is a sci-fi series I'm going to put forth the clone theory. ]

spoiler[Hei's not dead. Contractor's stars shoot when they die. BK-201 just vanished. Plus, his prominence in the ED next to Suou implies he'll be around for a while more. I think if anything he's just become human again.]

Holy crap! That's a big gun.
Clodus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:34 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
I'm actually not surprised Hei's gone spoiler[kind of nuts...isn't his remuneration feeling emotion? That's an endless cycle of killing heartlessly and then feeling guilt. Ugh.] Episode 1 was awesome.

Season 1 spoiler[Hei doesn't have a remuneration. His real ability is molecular manipulation which was originally his sister's power. At the lowest levels of his ability is able to generate electricity. It was actually mentioned that contractors do have emotions but simply do not let it affect them. The person with the obeisance of reverting back to the human perspective of feeling emotions is Shihoko during Huang's Arc.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mister V

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

spoiler[Hei's not dead. Contractor's stars shoot when they die. BK-201 just vanished. Plus, his prominence in the ED next to Suou implies he'll be around for a while more. I think if anything he's just become human again.]

I thought what they did was pretty obvious. spoiler[Someone was bound to invent a field that nullifies the powers or cuts the contractors from them. Unfortunately for them, the meteor core fragment reacted... I bet they're not happy they used that. But there's going to be major ass-kicking in the next episode, so I wouldn't be so worried about Hei's life, the only thing I'd worry about is him getting shaved. Come on, man, return to being cool. And give us Yin! Maybe she was just taken away or something.] Oi, why isn't she listed in the cast?

It's a pity the OP isn't as good as the first one (Howling). They've gone soft...
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Raida|23 wrote:
How's this 2nd series?Worthy? Also, is it connected to 1st series? Because I'm actually re-watching it, just in case, but if it isn't I could drop it and move on to new eps..

This is Darker Than Black, if you liked the first season, you definitely will enjoy the second. Of course, it's worthy, but that depends on who's watching.
It's connected to the first series. Didn't you even read the plot summary?
Not re-watching the first season before moving to the second might be a wiser decision, but that's up to you.

rainbowcourage wrote:
I'm actually not surprised Hei's gone kind of nuts...isn't his remuneration feeling emotion? That's an endless cycle of killing heartlessly and then feeling guilt. Ugh. Episode 1 was awesome.

Wha.. wha... what in the... That's wrong.(Season 1 spoiler) spoiler[That's the power of the contractor Huang loved. Hei doesn't have a remuneration, since his powers are his sister's. His sister is inside him, she's the one paying for the contract, and her remuneration is to sleep.]

Kruszer wrote:
What the heck? Did they just spoiler[kill off both Yin and Hei in the same episode and this is only the second?]

Watch the next episode's preview next time, since this time they showed Hei.
__

Episode 2 - Yes, Hei's finally back, and working for the spoiler[CIA] this time. He seems to have suffered a trauma, notably because of something that happened to spoiler[Yin]. This episode by far surpassed my expectations, the opening was nothing out of the ordinary and too much screen time focusing on the Russians. But a whole new cast of contractors and remunerations, which were particularly focused on fighting. spoiler[A new system that captures contractors], which seems a bit exaggerating, but effective.

Gonna be a long week until the next episode, indeed.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:19 am Reply with quote
He must have gone by real fast then because I didn't see him when I watched it.
wm4

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:22 am Reply with quote
spoiler[In the preview, after the train crash incident, Hei was shown talking with Suou (Or Cyo? The name from Hei's poster?) for 1 second. I guessed a random sniper, who killed Tania, was later finished by Hei ? ]

BTW, it is hard to believe that spoiler[the intelligent agents do not know a bit about Suou. I think this is an important information so the agents would not waste the time chasing a wrong person.]
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:39 am Reply with quote
Her name is Suo, she's Shion's sister, spoiler[and she was talking to Hei during the episode preview.]
I don't know about the sniper though.

Quote:
spoiler[the intelligent agents do not know a bit about Cyo. I think this is an important information so the agents would not waste the time chasing a wrong person.]

spoiler[If I remember correctly, Shion told Suo to wear his clothes. I don't know the reason, but I'd say he wanted to use her as a bait (yep, his own sister, I'm guessing he could be the antagonist) or he planned on having the CYA/Hei take her into custody all along.
Basically, even if they knew about Suo, which they should do, they'd still have to chase her, since she was well disguised. Just like it was said during episode 2, that when they find out it's not Shion they'll kill her. Because of that they can't shoot to kill, but it was my reasoning until the Russian soldiers shot at her like there was no tomorrow.]
arachneia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote
^ I don't know about that. He also spoiler[gave her the meteor fragment - why would he have done that if he expected her to be captured and killed?]
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quote
The preview showed spoiler[that Hei is still alive-I also believe that his star disappearing instead of falling is evidence that he's alive as well. I'm interpreting the disappearance of his star as the loss of his powers as a contractor (probably temporarily). He looked like he was going through some intense hell at the end of the episode ]
I've always interpreted Yin as spoiler[well, gone after the end of season one. I don't remember how or why, but maybe someone can dig up season 1 and let me know why everyone's so damned surprised she's being shown as dead in season 2 (or gone atm). ]

Season 2 has totally lived up to my expectations and I'm for sure marking this as another show to follow for this season. I like how the show is using a different perspective for now (focusing on Suo)-as doom and gloomy as DTB is, it's nice to have a couple rays of shining light.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
I've always interpreted Yin as spoiler[well, gone after the end of season one. I don't remember how or why, but maybe someone can dig up season 1 and let me know why everyone's so damned surprised she's being shown as dead in season 2 (or gone atm). ]

Really? I'm not sure why you would think that. The remaining 17 seconds are the episode title image and the "This show has been brought to you by the following sponsors" clip, which means that spoiler[literally the last scene of the show is a confirmation that Yin is still alive.]
arachneia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
The preview showed spoiler[that Hei is still alive-I also believe that his star disappearing instead of falling is evidence that he's alive as well. I'm interpreting the disappearance of his star as the loss of his powers as a contractor (probably temporarily). ]

But Hei is not a contractor. spoiler[If anything, something's happened to Bai.]
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:30 pm Reply with quote
arachneia wrote:
^ I don't know about that. He also spoiler[gave her the meteor fragment - why would he have done that if he expected her to be captured and killed?]

That's where my second theory about what he did kicks in.
Quote:
spoiler[or he planned on having the CYA/Hei take her into custody all along. ]

But yeah, that meteor part kinda slipped my mind, but what I said is still valid.
arachneia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Hm. I guess it's too early to make any satisfying guesses. spoiler[But if Shion is actually hoping for Hei or the CIA to get their hands on the meteor fragment, why would he try to escape himself? If he is league with them, why evade them in the first place?]

Anyway, I'm really happy with how the show is progressing. The first season was also very much in medias res and didn't start making sense until five episodes in, so I have full faith that once all the characters are introduced and the setting established, we'll start finding out what is actually happening.
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Loving this second season so far, although I feel like I need to go back and rewatch the first season to get some things straight. All of the different factions and whatnot already kind of have my scratching my head again, things just happen so quickly, but then I also kind of I like that approach, seems more realistic, and I'm sure I'll have it all sorted out soon enough.

At the end of the 1st season, I was under the impression that spoiler[Hei had escaped with Yin and Mao, although Mao had lost control of the cat's brain. They definitely showed somebody picking the cat up, though. So if Mao had been controlling the cat in the 1st episode, and managed to transfer his mind over into Pecha, I've gotta wonder how he pulled it off. Maybe he just did it all on an instinctual level? I don't know. I did think voice telling Suo to run away in the forest was Mao's, though, glad to hear it was the same voice actor. Definitely makes me think he's still alive - I guess they wanted a new animal mascot for this season, haha.]

One thing I'm really happy about is that Suo isn't just some ditzy/happy-go-lucky/moe/whatever kind of character with a mysterious past, or some lame crap like that. She's definitely not nearly as annoying as I thought she was going to be - I actually quite like her, and the little slice of life at the beginning of episode 1 was a nice way to begin the series. Kind of served as a foil for all of the action later, hyped up my anticipation of it, and whatnot, in addition to being enjoyable on its own.

One thing I don't like so far, which is kind of a problem I've always had with the series, is spoiler[how quickly they seem to be killing people off - did April really have to die already? I thought November 11 died too soon in the 1st season, too, with as much screen time he got - I just thought his character had a lot more potential that they wasted by offing him. And did Hei already kill that magician guy towards the end of episode 2? I hope he's not dead yet, at any rate. I mean, I don't want this to be another one of those cheesy shonen shows where nobody ever really dies, but I can't help but find a lot of the contractors really fascinating, and I just think it's a shame when they're killed before we can really get to know them. Ah well.]

Oh, really glad that Kirihara is back! Just waiting for detective Gai and Kiko to make their grand entrance now, haha. Don't know how that'd work out, seeing as they're in Russia at the moment... but I can hope!

About spoiler[Hei's star disappearing - I've gotta agree that this probably means he's lost his powers, although what with the meteor fragment reacting, and the source of Hei's powers, and all that, who knows what kind of effect it'll really have. I really don't think he's dead, though.] Y'know, I feel kinda stupid saying this, but I'd always thought that Hei's obeisance was that he had to eat a lot... maybe he has to eat twice as much spoiler[for his sister, since she's "inside him," or whatever?] Or maybe it's just a straight rip on all of the shonen protagonists who also eat truckloads, heh.

I don't know quite what to say about Shion, yet...spoiler[is his power telepathy, then? And what did he have to do to have to pay his obeisance for 2 years? I was thinking maybe he was fully paying it off, but not being able to stand for 2 years doesn't seem extreme enough. He could've just been continually using it, I guess. It's hard to say without knowing more about it. His reasoning behind having Suo dress up like him and take the meteor fragment is also a little confusing - definitely seems like he has some ulterior motives.]

It also seems like their father was somehow involved with one of the organizations, or else knew about contractors some other way at the beginning of episode 1, which was set 2 years earlier. He definitely knew something significant was going on during the "meteor shower," at least. Also makes me wonder if their mother is involved with one of the organizations back in Japan, where she is said to be. I won't be surprised if she shows up, and turns out to be important.

Right now, I think I mostly want to know what happened to Yin! I guess spoiler[the conditions of her escape with Hei at the end of the last season were a little vague, but it seemed to be implied that she got away with him, or at least got away alive, so I'm assuming something has happened to her during the time skip. But was the meteor fragment showing Suo Hei's memories, or something? Or was that just Hei reliving them himself? That was all a bit confusing, too.]

Hmmm, I think I've just about caught myself up on the discussion... can't wait for episode 3!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 23