• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Nana DVD Box Set 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:10 am Reply with quote
I read the first manga volume of Nana and it didn't really grab me but after such a stunning review I'd be silly to ignore this show. I thought I heard it was streaming on hulu, did I hear right or do I need to add this to the netflix queue?
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:22 am Reply with quote
Great review! It really described NANA perfectly. It is a wonderful series.

This line was really hilarious though:
Sid Vicious is not, repeat not a role model.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:58 am Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer: give it another go. The storyline doesn't really start happening until volume 2, volume 1 is more establishing character, kind of a prologue before the story begins.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:18 am Reply with quote
sailorsarah wrote:
This line was really hilarious though:

If you watch the series all the way through (or have read the manga), you'll realize how absolutely true that is... poor, poor Ren.
jsieczka

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:20 am Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
I read the first manga volume of Nana and it didn't really grab me but after such a stunning review I'd be silly to ignore this show. I thought I heard it was streaming on hulu, did I hear right or do I need to add this to the netflix queue?

The Sub is up on Hulu, but the dub is very good so you might want to check out the first few episodes on Hulu then put it into your Netflix queue if you like it.

Another guy here that really did like this show. The review is exactly along my feelings about the set, which is nice now I don't have to write much.

On the dub the only character that took a bit to warm up to was Yasu, Brian Drummond came across sounding a bit young I guess. Kelly Sheridan role as Hachi was spot on, In what is a really up and down role in terms of emotional tones she was great. Rebecca Shoichet who honestly never heard of before now was better then Romi Paku. The manga describes Nana as having a gruff sounding voice, which Romi Paku didn't have. Of course only about a quarter of the characters have been introduced, but with what I have heard I am exited.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I knew nothing of this other than reading the reviews for the live action movies.

Rented it from Netflix, and after completing the first disc, went online and ordered it.

I was totally captivated.
I watched it dubbed, and thought they did a really good job, but reading the praise for the sub track, my next rewatch will go that way. I can guarantee that like Aria and Maria Watches over Us, this one will get several rewatches.

Yes, I thought it worth every bit of praise this review gives it and then some.

My one concern arises when I look at the 7 discs for Full Moon I have sitting on my shelf. Shojo Beat (Viz) does not have the best track record in my book.

Already preordered the 2nd set, without waiting for a sale.
Prede

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:47 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:

You're so wrapped up in the characters that when you realize you're done with the box set and you're gonna have to wait awhile for the next one, a brief bout of depression sets in. Wink It doesn't matter if you've read all the GN's, this really is great in itself.

QFE

Really I agree completely. I was so wrapped up in the show, I didn't realize I was on the 2nd to last episode on the set. The recap/bar episode was nice, but I was dieing to see what would happen next!! Now comes the long wait to the next box set comes out. Kinda sad that the first set is already over though Sad .
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:05 pm Reply with quote
jsieczka wrote:
The manga describes Nana as having a gruff sounding voice, which Romi Paku didn't have.

You mean the woman who specializes in playing teenage boys? You don't get gruffer than her. Were we listening to the same series? Romi Paku is a large part of why I don't even want to try watching this dubbed.
Prede

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:13 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
jsieczka wrote:
The manga describes Nana as having a gruff sounding voice, which Romi Paku didn't have.

You mean the woman who specializes in playing teenage boys? You don't get gruffer than her. Were we listening to the same series? Romi Paku is a large part of why I don't even want to try watching this dubbed.

Oh but the dub is exellent. One of my new favorites. Really Ocean outdid themselves with this one. It's the same quality as Death Note and Black Lagoon, really it is. It's so rich, lively, fresh, and well acted. Dubs like this are hard to come by (I say this as a hardcore dub fan too)
jsieczka

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:46 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
jsieczka wrote:

Deep yes gruff no, gruff to me means coarse, scratchy, and abused. Which is what most chain smoking, heavy drinking punk chicks sound like, the best example being Brody Dalle of Spinnerette. Rebecca Shoichet to me just sounds more like a hard living punk chick then Romi Paku did.
bigheart711

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
So the plus is: One of the greatest animes of all time???

Haven't heard that in a plus since Monte Cristo, and guess what?!

He was right... 100%...
I also agree! I had the same feeling as reading the manga when I watched Nana The same also happened with Honey and Clover, which was also deliciously awesome.

Quote:

That was used for humor! (Was it!?)
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Can be difficult to watch; recap episodes; Sid Vicious is not, repeat not a role model.

Well, his fellow bandmate has since motioned towards being more gentlemanly in nature. Here he is, patriotically advertising butter on the Tube.

For a seasoned reviewer like Carl to give A grades across the board must be a stark rarity. I was aware that there exist those who praise this title, but to see it receiving such resplendent acclaim isn't something I'd have expected. Is this the shoujo series for non-shoujo fans?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsieczka

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
Can be difficult to watch; recap episodes; Sid Vicious is not, repeat not a role model.

Well, his fellow bandmate has since motioned towards being more gentlemanly in nature. Here he is, patriotically advertising butter on the Tube.

For a seasoned reviewer like Carl to give A grades across the board must be a stark rarity. I was aware that there exist those who praise this title, but to see it receiving such resplendent acclaim isn't something I'd have expected. Is this the shoujo series for non-shoujo fans?

Yes, it is not shoujo exactly I would say it is Josei. Either way anyone who is a fan of realistic dramas will like it, same with Honey and Clover.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
bigheart711 wrote:
Otaking09 wrote:

Quote:

That was used for humor! (Was it!?)
(No. Sid was a train wreak in slow motion.)
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:41 pm Reply with quote
While the reviewer encapsulated the appeal of the show, and I'm sure it deserves the praise it gets by fans, I don't really like it. As I felt with Paradise Kiss, Nana is depressing in a bad way (that is, I usually like melancholic shows) and has characters I can't relate to, nor feel sympathy for, at all. That edgy, "ooh, young adults being in relationships, having sex, breaking up, and living their lives while striving for their dreams" vibe doesn't do it for me. That facet of modernity being explored is something I've shunned in my own life.

And someone please strangle Mario for me. I know of no other person who actively seeks to give moe anime a bad name more than him (while paradoxically being a fan of the genre himself). I love moe anime, especially Clannad, but for chrissakes, it doesn't need to be brought up here where it's just going to be ridiculed! Use common sense!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4