• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Nana DVD Box Set 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JGonspy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:10 pm Reply with quote
orionism1 wrote:
JGonspy wrote:
Apparently the European versions of Nana are also missing "A Little Pain", which points to some sort of problem with the licensing end in Japan. The rest of the songs are apparently intact though, so the later episodes should be just fine.

I actually didn't care too much for the dub. I found Nana O. to lack the strength of the original version, and while the other roles were mostly good, I couldn't quite get over that. Another issue has to do with the translation, in particular, the fact that the dub seems to be avoiding references to Vivienne Westwood. Aside from the fact that a British fashion designer would actually be more familiar to western audiences, it actually has some important thematic value to it. It might seem small, but the punk rock angle is an important part of the series and the grander statement it's trying to make.

Ok so I actually just purchased this first NANA series on amazon and as I'm writing this I am canceling the order. Are you 'F'ing me? They went ahead and released this series without "A Little Pain". Even throughout the series in the background music? I'm a little shocked but I'm gonna stick with an Import with subs then. It's cheaper anyways. I really loved this series, can't believe how hard it is to get information from point 'A' to 'B' legitimately intact. Am I being to harsh? Is it worth rediscovering the series through the new dub? Or should a fan of the original version with subs just stay away?

Actually, and I found this to be a bit strange, the instrumental remix of "A Little Pain" used as background music is intact, it's just not used as the ending theme, and I'm assuming they don't use it at the live show episode in the next set. I still think it's worthwhile getting an official release of the show, because in spite of that loss, it's still a great series and the replacement song of "Starless Night" isn't too bad a choice. You also get a nifty guitar pick!

Anyone hear what the bonus item for the next set will be? I'm hoping for something as sweet as what I saw in the French sets, like a soundtrack or that weird tie.
orionism1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
I hate to tell you, but import DVDs (Japanese R2s) almost never have English subtitles, and are far more expensive than R1s. The Japanese NANA DVDs will run you about $45.00 a disk (with 2-4 episodes a disk), without subtitles.
Even the Hong Kong R3, which is very cheap, doesn't have English subtitles.
I notice a lot of people on here saying "Well, I'll just buy the Japanese DVDs!" whenever they dislike something about the R1 release, without realizing how a)rarely R2s have subtitles and b)insanely expensive R2s are.
The only way you're going to be able to a cheaper import with subtitles, is like Megiddo said, with a bootleg. And, well...bootlegs suck.
Honestly, I think you are being a bit too harsh. Yes, it sucks that 'A Little Pain' isn't there, but it may not be Viz' fault, and really, what are you watching NANA for, the actual show itself, or just the one song?

That's why I posted and left it open for debate. Part of the continuity in a series is the musical soundtrack. If you start removing certain elements from a classic and arguably "top ten best anime ever" then is it really still the same product? Will it still have the same impact? It is impossible for me judge just yet, looks like I'm gonna have to queue it from netflix to see how different if feels and whether the dub makes it worth a purchase. I just expected when I made the purchase early that Viz Media would be able to keep the original version intact considering it's cult following. Oh and I never said it was Viz's fault, I'm speaking purely from the perspective of a person who doesn't want to buy a version that has any less of an impact. Much of the review here spoke volumes about the quality of the story but did not go into details in comparing the original to this version. That's why I was forced onto this forum to find out whether a purchase is truly warranted.

BTW, are you saying that the Malayisian version is a bootleg? It even comes with the soundtrack. It's by a studio called Vscape Enterprises supposedly. I checked them out but couldn't find the product in question offered at dvdasian. If they did hold the license at one time this product could still be legitimate and possibly the best alternative.
Quark

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:31 pm Reply with quote
orionism1 wrote:

BTW, are you saying that the Malayisian version is a bootleg? It even comes with the soundtrack. It's by a studio called Vscape Enterprises supposedly. I checked them out but couldn't find the product in question offered at dvdasian. If they did hold the license at one time this product could still be legitimate and possibly the best alternative.

Well, now that I've seen a picture of it, I can say that definitely yes, it's a bootleg. The tell-tale signs are the fact that it has English and Chinese subtitles, the fairly cheap price, and the fact that it's Region 0. Chinese subtitles and Region 0 are the biggest signs of a bootleg DVD out there.
But yeah, back in the olden days when I didn't know better about bootlegs, I had bought some that came with the soundtrack. The inclusion of a soundtrack doesn't necessarily make a DVD legit, and bootleggers love to bootleg anime soundtracks as well.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quote
That site needs to be added to the blacklisted bootleg filter.
orionism1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:26 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:

Well, now that I've seen a picture of it, I can say that definitely yes, it's a bootleg. The tell-tale signs are the fact that it has English and Chinese subtitles, the fairly cheap price, and the fact that it's Region 0. Chinese subtitles and Region 0 are the biggest signs of a bootleg DVD out there. But yeah, back in the olden days when I didn't know better about bootlegs, I had bought some that came with the soundtrack. The inclusion of a soundtrack doesn't necessarily make a DVD legit, and bootleggers love to bootleg anime soundtracks as well.

It still doesn't rule out the possibility that it could have been licensed by Vscape Enterprise in Malaysia at one point. They have many citizens that speak Chinese there along with Malay and even English. The region coding is the best argument for it being a bootleg. It's unlikely that MadHouse would license any region 0 distribution. Malaysia is actually in Region 3, so I'm not sure how Madhouse deals with that region. ANN doesn't have a region 3 license posted on the NANA tv info page. I tried to contact dvdasian but there e-mail link was broken. Interesting enough if this is a bootleg version, it seems to be on many of import cities. Google search NANA anime dvd and got this version in the top three queries. I still aired with caution this time and re-ordered Viz's version.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:12 pm Reply with quote
orionism1 wrote:
JGonspy wrote:
Apparently the European versions of Nana are also missing "A Little Pain", which points to some sort of problem with the licensing end in Japan. The rest of the songs are apparently intact though, so the later episodes should be just fine.

I actually didn't care too much for the dub. I found Nana O. to lack the strength of the original version, and while the other roles were mostly good, I couldn't quite get over that. Another issue has to do with the translation, in particular, the fact that the dub seems to be avoiding references to Vivienne Westwood. Aside from the fact that a British fashion designer would actually be more familiar to western audiences, it actually has some important thematic value to it. It might seem small, but the punk rock angle is an important part of the series and the grander statement it's trying to make.

Ok so I actually just purchased this first NANA series on amazon and as I'm writing this I am canceling the order. Are you 'F'ing me? They went ahead and released this series without "A Little Pain". Even throughout the series in the background music? I'm a little shocked but I'm gonna stick with an Import with subs then. It's cheaper anyways. I really loved this series, can't believe how hard it is to get information from point 'A' to 'B' legitimately intact. Am I being to harsh? Is it worth rediscovering the series through the new dub? Or should a fan of the original version with subs just stay away?

You should buy the Viz release. Great dub, textless songs, and interview with Morio Asaka. Bootlegs have horrid video quality, crap subtitles, and are overall a waste of money. They kept "a little pain" in at the record store scene. With vocals and all.
orionism1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I received this first vol. by viz and popped in the first disk and was completely satisfied with this version. The dub is definitely worth the money and the lack of a "A little pain" had much less of an impact then originally thought. Definitely worth the purchase. I'm gonna have to watch this series again in English now.
Aiana

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:46 pm Reply with quote
hakojo wrote:
This review times a million. I'm so glad to see NANA getting the praise it truly deserves - I'm not usually one for dramas, but NANA is so raw and human that it had me hooked from the very first episode. A must-buy.

I agree. Totally. I got hooked on Paradise Kiss' style and found NANA through that.
This truely is one of the greatest animes I've ever seen.
Even if it is tragic. Crying or Very sad Or so I found it.
I am forever a fan of Ai Yazawa.

I always apreciated watching them in original language. If you're able to read the subtitles fast enough. I've never met a dub that catches "it" quite as the original language can.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4