• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Atlus Ends Years of Allegedly Not Printing Enough Copies of Games and Then Laughing at Empty-Han

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:40 am Reply with quote
Any JRPG that comes to America I buy it on the 1st day it arrives no matter what especially from my most favorite JRPG companies like Atlus, NISA, Marvelous, XSEED, and I suppose Namco counts too. But I am glad to see that this digital download for these PSP JRPG games are available already so that way more people can enjoy it because yes even though I love the companies that I mentioned but the lack of copies they make does tend to get annoying and of course even though I like this digital download for people to have, I myself will hunt down any PSP JRPG I ever missed at a store or even online if I have to.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I've noticed this trend too. Especially with the trickle of PS2 games. Persona 3, Persona 4, Ar Tonelico, Ar Tonelico 2 to name a few. I hope to see some of these titles becoming available for download on PSP. I plan to pick up a PSP but wondering if the PSP-1000 model will still be available for awhile. While this is a fairly decent move moving to digital download it's frustrating for those who still own older systems and software. Will there still be support for it? As for the PSP Go have they started making some of the older games available for download? What about here in the states and when?

But as you say it's a good idea to pick up the game as soon as it's available. I had such a hard time hunting down 'Dragon Quest V'. That's not even an 'Atlus' title.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I hope they don't forget about their European customers. Cartridges and UMDs I can import, but the N-American PSP store I can't buy from.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:32 pm Reply with quote
As long as Atlus still keeps on bringing over games on physical media, the digital download option doesn't bother me.

But, personally, I still want a tangible copy with a box and manual. Though I have a DS and not a PSP Go so I don't need to worry about physical copies going away anytime soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Atlus needs to localize the Super Robot War OG PS2 titles before that thing becomes obsolete.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I'll keep on buying PS2 JRPG's as long as they keep being localized. I don't care if the system is technically obsolete, it's still a fine JRPG platform.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:31 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Atlus needs to localize the Super Robot War OG PS2 titles before that thing becomes obsolete.

Unfortunately, ATLUS had previously stated that they have "no plans" to localize the PS2 SRW-OG games.

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/06/03/so-about-super-robot-taisen-original-generations/
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I hope they don't go bankrupt (my understanding of the articles heading is saying they are). I may have played few to none of their titles but they don't deserve to go out of business. The only company I really want bankrupt is PokemonUSA for firing the original Pokemon cast.
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
I hope they don't forget about their European customers. Cartridges and UMDs I can import, but the N-American PSP store I can't buy from.

You can buy off the American PSN Store, you will just need a U.S. Playstation Network card and an American PSN account.

Tenchi wrote:
Eh, I'll keep on buying PS2 JRPG's as long as they keep being localized. I don't care if the system is technically obsolete, it's still a fine JRPG platform.

Indeed and there is plenty of ones in Japan that I would love to see a U.S. release

Chrno2 wrote:
I've noticed this trend too. Especially with the trickle of PS2 games. Persona 3, Persona 4, Ar Tonelico, Ar Tonelico 2 to name a few. I hope to see some of these titles becoming available for download on PSP. I plan to pick up a PSP but wondering if the PSP-1000 model will still be available for awhile. While this is a fairly decent move moving to digital download it's frustrating for those who still own older systems and software. Will there still be support for it? As for the PSP Go have they started making some of the older games available for download? What about here in the states and when?

But as you say it's a good idea to pick up the game as soon as it's available. I had such a hard time hunting down 'Dragon Quest V'. That's not even an 'Atlus' title.

PSP-1000 is only available if someone trades it in to places like Gamestop. Your better bet is either the PSP-3000 or the PSPGO. And I see a lot of classics on the PSP to download but it's like 1 step at a time kind of thing.

[Mod Edit: Please don't post back to back. If you see another post you need to respond to and you are the last poster, just edit the response in to the current post. Thanks. - Keonyn]
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:23 pm Reply with quote
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle wrote:
You can buy off the American PSN Store, you will just need a U.S. Playstation Network card and an American PSN account.

Correct me if I am mistaken on this issue, but these could well be very restrictions of which Kimiko_0 speaks.
Quote:
We've finally reached a point where, according to our physicians, any further laughing at our masterfully executed plan of never making enough copies of our games for everyone poses risks to our health...

Surely their medical insurance would cover for an ailment as common as being held in disrepute. Still, to solve stock issues with digital downloads is a decent enough measure. People desiring boxed media may think otherwise, however.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

Correct me if I am mistaken on this issue, but these could well be very restrictions of which Kimiko_0 speaks.

Indeed. How would I get either of those things?
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:

Indeed. How would I get either of those things?

Well like me I have a Japanese PSN account but I live in America. I'm not sure but maybe Play-Asia can ship to the UK for the Playstation Network card.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

PSP-1000 is only available if someone trades it in to places like Gamestop. Your better bet is either the PSP-3000 or the PSPGO. And I see a lot of classics on the PSP to download but it's like 1 step at a time kind of thing.

Oh yeah, I kind of get mixed up because to be honest I can't tell which model is which by number. You got the (old) 1000, the 2000 and of course the last is the 3000.

Speaking of 'Atlus', I just finally grabbed the 'Persona' set. Oh and XSEED is releasing that game 'Half-minue hero'. So definitely grabbing that one.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Well like me I have a Japanese PSN account but I live in America. I'm not sure but maybe Play-Asia can ship to the UK for the Playstation Network card.

I'm afraid Play-Asia cannot ship such an item to the EU. Some importers appear on Ebay and Google Products however.
Zoe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Registering a US account is super simple. As for the cards, all else fails just find a friend in America that will buy one for you and e-mail the code.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1