• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Do the Mario

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braves

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm liking the cover art for XIII to be honest. It's more in line with the minimalistic cover art that the series has gotten over in Japan since VII. I actually would have preferred just the logo with a white background, but this works just fine.

And Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda game. I have plenty of good memories of that one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Case

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Shale wrote:
So, if they wanted to make Peach playable, they would change the story so she wasn't abducted. In a game like this, story serves gameplay, not the other way around.

Yeah... if they wanted to. But they didn't?

Point is, if a character is central to the conflict element of the story, they're probably not going to be a playable character. In this game that rules out Peach, Bowser, and the usual suspects. No matter who got kidnapped or how the story otherwise played out, it would be retarded for a player to be able to select them to play through the game only to ultimately fight themself or rescue themself. I'm sorry that doesn't make sense to you.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:41 pm Reply with quote
The male voice actor in Popful Mail was that dude from O-Town, I can never look at 90s boybands the same way anymore.
UltimateSpaceLion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Quote:
I found no evidence to support it, but I vaguely recall Square Enix putting out perfume for an older Final Fantasy, perhaps X or X-2.

Well, there was FFVII "Cloud Strife Perfume" shown at TGS this year. I know Cloud is kinda scrawny, but perfume? At least it's unisex. Rolling Eyes

Crazy! I'm not that surprised it's unisex. I don't recall ever noticing any Japanese men or women smelling of any sort of fragrance while I was there. It was several years ago though, so I could be mistaken. I think that the Japanese consider strong perfumes/colognes rather obnoxious, so any perfumes they have there are pretty faint, I guess.

Not too fond of the FFXIII cover, but I'll hardly be displaying it on view so it really doesn't matter. Bit uninspired though, no? I thought the previous European and Japanese releases were appealing in their simplicity.
Shale

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Case wrote:
Point is, if a character is central to the conflict element of the story, they're probably not going to be a playable character. In this game that rules out Peach, Bowser, and the usual suspects. No matter who got kidnapped or how the story otherwise played out, it would be retarded for a player to be able to select them to play through the game only to ultimately fight themself or rescue themself. I'm sorry that doesn't make sense to you.

All I'm saying is that Nintendo has full control over who is and isn't central to the story. Adding in Peach (or Bowser, or whoever) as a playable character was an option; they'd just have changed the story around so it fit. I'm sorry if that doesn't make sense to you.
Epona the Horsey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:39 pm Reply with quote
For the whole Peach not in Mario Bros. Wii debate:

Quote:
"I originally thought it would be nice to have Princess Peach as a playable character, but the Toad characters have a physique that is a bit closer to that of Mario and Luigi. And if we were to have one character out of the four wearing a dress, we would need special programming for how the skirt is handled within the gameplay, and that's really the only reason why peach isn't playable. And, of course, if we had Wario in there, we'd have to program it so he could fart. [Laughs]" -Shigeru Miyamoto

Sorry if this has been posted already, but I didn't see it anywhere.

Quote:
Link's Awakening will never be topped by another Zelda game. I've accepted this.

This made me smile. I love LA. It's my favorite Zelda game, along with Majora's Mask.
I'm looking forward to Spirit Tracks. I still haven't beaten Phantom Hourglass, though. ^^;
Showsni

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask forever! They're also my two favourites, is what I mean. And I guess LA is the only Zelda spoiler[where the hero has to destroy the world to win, and the monsters are trying desperately to save the world by stopping him.]

I guess that if they had put Peach in, people would be annoyed that she couldn't float like in SMB2; and making her float would have forced them to change the level designs. I normally like to use Toad in SMB2, but Peach's floating skills make her really useful.
Apterous

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Dude, Mario 64 is "the greatest game ever." They were right. What I wouldn't give for, like, 120 more stars in that game.
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:47 am Reply with quote
Y'S Vs Sora no Kiseki? wow this outta be interesting,I first got into the Y'S series with the Super Nes version of Y'S III Wanderer's of Y'S, but I wish Falcom or some U.S licensor would bring the Sora no Kiseki series to the U.S,which is a shame that none of them have'nt made it to the states.

Question,was'nt there suppose to be an Anime adaption of Y'S III? did they cancel that or something?

anyway,as for Sora no Kiseki,I just recently got into the series by playing the First game in the series "Legend of heroes: Sora no Kiseki FC: (First chapter) and I find it entertaining so far,even if I can't understand japanese,and I've grown to like the protogonist Estelle Bright for her adventurouse tomboyish personality Very Happy

as for the Wii Version of New Super Mario Bros, I picked up the game at my local gamestop a few days ago and it's pretty kickass compared to the DS version,I was very pleased that they brought back the original 7 koopa kids who were first introduced in Super Mario Bros 3 for the NES,and on top of that,the new power ups such as Ice Mario,Penguine suit mario and Propellar Mario Very Happy
darcerin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I personally hate Phantom Hourglass. I got so sick of going through that stupid temple EVERY time a mission needed completing. I finally gave up on it.

I hope Spirit Tracks is better than PH, I really do.
Battle Cossack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
The male voice actor in Popful Mail was that dude from O-Town, I can never look at 90s boybands the same way anymore.
May that game forever be tainted by the horrible trends of the nineties. Which member was it, just for the record?
Emerje wrote:
Well, there was FFVII "Cloud Strife Perfume" shown at TGS this year. I know Cloud is kinda scrawny, but perfume? At least it's unisex. Rolling Eyes
I think it's a tongue-in-cheek reference to a particular scene from Final Fantasy VII.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Battle Cossack wrote:
chrisb wrote:
May that game forever be tainted by the horrible trends of the nineties. Which member was it, just for the record?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashley_Parker_Angel
he was also Alex in the Lunar series. It was before he became famous I think, he's on the "behind the scenes" feature for it to which was kind of an odd viewing. I'm not hating, in fact it was actually kind of amusing when I figured it out.
Battle Cossack

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:18 am Reply with quote
Edited for clarity.
chrisb wrote:
Man, you just won five internets for that post. I carry a grudge against the schemes of Lou Pearlman and pop music at the turn of the millennium. While that doesn't really make Popful Mail any worse a title, I am now conflicted to think that Ashley Parker Angel was there for my best and worst of my childhood memories: playing Lunar Silver Star Story on the Playstation and listening to my brother belt out "Liquid Dreams," respectively.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:33 am Reply with quote
Glad I brought some nostalgia into your life Very Happy , for another random boyband member in a video game check out Vaan's voice actor in Final Fantasy 12 part of the new boyband Varsity Fanclub.

I must sound like these guys' online promoter towards anime/game fans Embarassed

But I always find these kind of random mixes of mainstream and JRPG entertaining.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:40 am Reply with quote
As someone who owns copies of the Ys I and Ys II OVAs, I can tell you that they do stick to the premise of the original games. The only difference is that the Ys I OVA emphasized the story more while the Ys II OVA compressed it. While both are pretty good views (if you can get past the generic RPG premise), I found the Ys II OVA to be more enjoyable due to a higher animation budget and the faster pace. Sure, some important plot elements were omitted such asspoiler[the bridge operator's son being the descendant of the priest, Dabby] but in all, it was a good four-episode watch. However, the OVAs weren't without their faults. For some strange reason, Dark Fact, the chief villain of the first Ys game was redesigned to look more like a regular human than the blue faced Gamillon that we know from the games and Adol's hair in the first OVA was...pink? Shocked

One more thing, AVOID the english dub of the OVA. Yes, it was done by Bang Zoom! Entertainment but the performances were so wooden and lacklauster that you wouldn't beleive that this was a Bang Zoom! production. I mean, calling Adol A-DOLL and Dark Fact Dark Factor??? Obviously, these guys didn't do their homework.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4