• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Writer Discusses Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hakojo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:02 pm Reply with quote
RedSwirl wrote:

The main appeal of Ghost in the Shell isn't the fact that it takes place in The Far East at all. The actual city the stories are set in is rarely even mentioned. I'll be satisfied if they can just make a good cyberpunk cop story period.

I agree. However, I don't think that Hollywood would be willing to take a chance on something so deep and introspective (and really, while it's definitely adult, I don't think it's nearly as boob-y and violent as a lot of people hold it up to be) in this economy, and that's the heart of the problem - they're going to make a cyberpunk action movie, not Ghost in the Shell. The comparison to The Matrix is valid, but since The Matrix is a bit of a joke to a lot of people now, it doesn't exactly bode well for this film.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I just want it to be GOOOD! Promise me this and that, but I'll wait for the trailer. Lots of people make promises piled high to the sky, but it's meaningless. Movie folk are always talking in hyperbole.

This person (guy? girl? I've never heard of this person) has a short IMDB, but that's an impressive list of titles! That makes me slightly optimistic for this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:36 pm Reply with quote
It mite be good if they dont crap all over the manga and the anime like the did with the Dragonball movie but I give it a 60% chance of just sucking ass Hollywood cant make a good remake of any thing
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:44 pm Reply with quote
60%? Thanks a lot, I'm sure the producers are greatly pleased by hearing such great news. Besides Spielberg is involved, and I don't really care if they're loyal to the anime/manga, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Too bad others won't even if the only change is the color of Major's panties.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I'll simply direct you all to Aeon Flux... and hope I win the lottery. There is always a slim chance that ground will be broken once. again.

ETA, wait, what color does she normally wear? :devil:
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:01 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
ETA, wait, what color does she normally wear? :devil:

Flashy pink with white butterflies, combined with a set of cowboy jacket and snow boots. Not to forget about the astronaut hat and Dragon Ball power specs.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I hope it's more like Stand Alone Complex and nothing like the first film. SAC, especially 2nd Gig, is like the perfect future cop story with a lot of political intrigue, high tech stuff, light techno babble and great action.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Redswirl, do we have to do the "this grabbed this idea from this place"? The Matrix was not a new idea, and Ghost in the Shell has the same themes as Shirow's other work, Appleseed, just delivered differently. None of this stuff is "original."

It's all about how you tell a story, not what story you're telling. Show me anything you like and I'll bet the story has been told long before your parents, grandparents, or great grandparents were born.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
edzieba

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:48 pm Reply with quote
RedSwirl wrote:
Matrix [...] heavy cyberpunk philosophy
*snrk*
mckg1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I want this movie to be a hit, but i also want it to maintain the story as it is. I guess thats asking too much huh.I hope it maintains the characteristics of the main characters.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:10 pm Reply with quote
God... there is gonna be so much reverse criticism for this movie from the general public. "It's like the Matrix..." "They are totally ripping of the Matrix" "Hey! I've seen that before. In the Matrix..." "That was the coolest thing I've ever seen!... When I saw it on the Matrix." Oh man, I can't see this getting past the "Matrix Wall" unless the trailer can really wow people and they don't show off any of the things the Matrix borrowed from GitS.

And really people still like the Matrix movie. Its that the trilogy is what they don't like. Most people will say "The first one was good, the second had good action at the least, and the third sucked because who wants a f***ing boring ass superman fight and what is going on!?"
Katane

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Well who's going to be Kusanagi is what I want to know. In any case I'm confident that if anyone could pull this one off Spielberg's the man for this job. I got a good feeling about this one and I can't wait.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I think Spielberg is the kind of person to appreciate the depth of presentation aside from simply the plot line.

I trust him enough to not let it go to mindless action with a weak angle. He knows how to use imagery to tell a story beyond the plot of the movie.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:21 am Reply with quote
Let's be honest: the movie we as fans want to see isn't going to be made.

Look for: Gaijin in the Shell

The good news is: WE ALREADY HAVE SEVERAL AWESOME CGI MOVIES AND TWO LONG RUNNING SERIES that have told the story our way.

Bad News: Hollywood's all about money, especially in recent events.

With Hollywood's Monkey-See-Monkey-Do attitude, and Avatar breaking two billion for 2 hours of tech/3D heavy picture with a substandard/mediocre plot & writing... it'll be about the money and recapturing that kind of success with another Sci-Fi, tech/3D heavy thrill ride. Studios now are clamoring to add 3D to their movies as we speak.

While I'm excited about Steven Spielberg's involvement, I'd bet the best we can hope for is a Minority Report meets Ghost in the Shell.

Casting: How many Japanese (or even Japanese-looking) females in Hollywood are there? How many fit the Major's description? Or even the rest of Section 9? Me, I'm drawing a blank. But I'm betting the studio's are gonna want big names to fill seats, so expect disappointment.

It's Gaijin in the Shell, people.

Of course, Spielberg could surprise us all and deliver HUGE for both the fans and mass audiences, but being able to do so is a VERY rare thing. What's more, the fan base for GitS is tiny compared to comic books in the US (e.g. Batman, Superman, etc.), so pleasing a tiny fan base over the audience isn't looking good.
Bell02

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:39 am Reply with quote
I had a dream about this movie a few weeks ago (Ghost in the Shell) and an interesting way to make it work to appeal to both audiences (Japanese and existing fans, and American newcomers):

Center it around a veteran from the end of the last world war, he completely injures his body and is forced to use a full prosthetic body and the hospital assigns a former star patient, Makoto, to get him use to life in the body. As the person gets use to the body, he becomes distasteful with society and the life, and radicalizes himself by getting involved in some terror organization; to which in the end, he is stopped by Section 9 and his former friend Makoto. (Only just learning of her profession; Characters like Aramaki and Batou could have more minor roles with others making more cameos)

I think it would be interesting because it would put in the psychological questions from the movies, and establish itself as its own self-contained, self-explained movie, highlighting the origins of the main character (Makoto), show her as more of a new officer getting use to post war life herself, while still feel completely new to existing fans and remaining intelligent. Just that idea got me really excited for the potential of a live action movie.

Hopefully the writers just realize that special effects will only go so far (but for this type of movie, it is still extremely important), but when combined with a thought provoking plot to reel in critics they will have a big hit. (And people will see it not caring that it is based off of anime or not)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5