• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood -[adult swim] (w/index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I thought the first series version of the Lab 5 arc had a little bit more action. The fight with the Slicers and Barry was much the same, but there was also a battle against Lust and Gluttony with Scar and Alphonse. I guess if you think it was too busy, that makes sense.

But I value other elements in FMA over action, anyway.

The amount of the action wasn't the problem, the problem was that the action was basically a bunch of people doing poses of people fighting instead of actually fighting.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dune

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:23 pm Reply with quote
The action here is decent; otherwise I found this episode fairly underwhelming. If I wasn't an FMA fan, or if I didn't know that the show improves later on, this would have been the point where I would have stopped watching.
population_tire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:52 pm Reply with quote
FMAB goes too fast
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:01 pm Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
FMAB goes too fast

no iot doesn't this episode basically contains the entire lab 5, it's not Hiromu Arakawa, or this anime adaptations fault that the first fullmetal Alchemist was a slow and drawn out series where I spent time getting to know characters I didn't give a crap about while ignoring characters who needed development.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
I thought the first series version of the Lab 5 arc had a little bit more action. The fight with the Slicers and Barry was much the same, but there was also a battle against Lust and Gluttony with Scar and Alphonse. I guess if you think it was too busy, that makes sense.

The amount of the action wasn't the problem, the problem was that the action was basically a bunch of people doing poses of people fighting instead of actually fighting.

Uh, no, there was just as much animated fighting in this fight in the first series as here.

Charred Knight wrote:
population_tire wrote:
FMAB goes too fast

no iot doesn't this episode basically contains the entire lab 5, it's not Hiromu Arakawa, or this anime adaptations fault that the first fullmetal Alchemist was a slow and drawn out series where I spent time getting to know characters I didn't give a crap about while ignoring characters who needed development.

I'll take more Sheska over waste of time characters like Dr. Knox and the chimeras nobody would bother remembering the names of.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fawfulhasfury

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Uh, no, there was just as much animated fighting in this fight in the first series as here.

True.

Quote:

I'll take more Sheska over waste of time characters like Dr. Knox and the chimeras nobody would bother remembering the names of.

Heinkel, Darius, Jelso, and Zanpano. I love the chimeras. Especially Heinkel. He ranks up in my favorite characters list alongside Hughes, Ed, Kimblee, Mustang, and Envy. He's way too cool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:07 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Charred Knight wrote:
population_tire wrote:
FMAB goes too fast

Was the animation quality as good? No, the fight would constantly stop for a second after every swing of Slicer's sword. Rewatch the Slicer fight in both series.

As for nobody remembering the Chimera's name: Jerso (the Toad), Heinkel(the lion), Zanpano (the Warthog), Darius (The Gorilla)

It's called paying attention, considering they have gotten a lot of screen time. Also you are the only person I know who thinks Dr. Knox is a bad character.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't think he's a bad character, he's just an unnecessary character. Like the chimeras. They're not particularly interesting and I find that anything they add to the mix has already been there to begin with and needs no further emphasis via their participation.

As for the animation in the Slicer fight, they did a few of those stop frames for stylistic reasons, and it worked. But most of it was fully animated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kpk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:59 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I don't think he's a bad character, he's just an unnecessary character. Like the chimeras. They're not particularly interesting and I find that anything they add to the mix has already been there to begin with and needs no further emphasis via their participation.

As for the animation in the Slicer fight, they did a few of those stop frames for stylistic reasons, and it worked. But most of it was fully animated.

Agree.

The chimeras were pointless..
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:44 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

If you hate the Fullmetal Alchemist manga so much why are you watching Brotherhood, and why are you watching it dubbed even though you hate the dub even more than you hate Brotherhood.

Yeah, I watch things I have grown to hate when I want to see how the story ends, but I don't continue to watch it after that. I will never watch Code Geass, and Gundam 00 again because I hated them and found them boring , nonsensical, and in the case of Code Geass morally reprehensible.

You constantly complain about the manga about as much as I bitch about Code Geass.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:01 pm Reply with quote
If I hated FMA, I wouldn't be posting about it as much as I do. I wouldn't review every episode of the new series on my blog. I wouldn't talk about it on the ANNCast. I wouldn't constantly post in FMA boards. I wouldn't have collected, bought with my own money 22 volumes of the manga, my second favorite manga, behind only 20th Century Boys.

Yeah I have problems with some parts of it, but I love it overall, or I wouldn't put so much time and effort commenting on it, and I don't think you'll find anything that points to me outright hating it.

As for the dub, I'm slowly warming up to it, but it has its issues.

The whole "love it or leave it" argument, isn't that a little beneath you? I have to love every aspect of something to talk about it?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:49 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
If I hated FMA, I wouldn't be posting about it as much as I do. I wouldn't review every episode of the new series on my blog. I wouldn't talk about it on the ANNCast. I wouldn't constantly post in FMA boards. I wouldn't have collected, bought with my own money 22 volumes of the manga, my second favorite manga, behind only 20th Century Boys.

Yeah I have problems with some parts of it, but I love it overall, or I wouldn't put so much time and effort commenting on it, and I don't think you'll find anything that points to me outright hating it.

As for the dub, I'm slowly warming up to it, but it has its issues.

The whole "love it or leave it" argument, isn't that a little beneath you? I have to love every aspect of something to talk about it?

You complain far more than you compliment. Your relationship with the manga/Brotherhood seems to me to be more along the lines of me and the first anime. It wasn't really bad (outside of the movie which made no sense) but it also wasn't really good either. I would never buy it, but I also don't feel like I wasted my time watching it. It was a show that was mediocre outside of the music. My second favorite manga is Rurouni Kenshin, and I gush about it almost as much as Fullmetal Alchemist. I could understand if the complaints have to do with Brotherhood, but they all have to do with the manga.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'll try to be more positive. But some of my problems with Brotherhood are some of the problems I have with the manga itself. It's certainly not flawless.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again (you never hear that phrase anymore, do you?), I have no preference for one form of FMA over the other. I love the manga and both shows, equally. It's not a cop out, that's how I honestly feel. Brotherhood will probably end up way high on my favorites list, too. I plan to own it on Blu-Ray.

But, as this is a thread about the AS airing, I would be amiss to not talk about the recent episode's dub performances.

Uh, they were okay. Like I said in a previous commentary, Maxey Whitehead is so natural as Alphonse now, it's becoming harder to believe she's a replacement. And Aaron Dismuke was my favorite performer in the first series dub.

Jerry Jewell is a great Barry and I've always liked Maria Ross' VA. I'm not a fan of Wendy Powell's Envy, however.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:53 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Well, I'll try to be more positive. But some of my problems with Brotherhood are some of the problems I have with the manga itself. It's certainly not flawless.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again (you never hear that phrase anymore, do you?), I have no preference for one form of FMA over the other. I love the manga and both shows, equally. It's not a cop out, that's how I honestly feel. Brotherhood will probably end up way high on my favorites list, too. I plan to own it on Blu-Ray.

But, as this is a thread about the AS airing, I would be amiss to not talk about the recent episode's dub performances.

Uh, they were okay. Like I said in a previous commentary, Maxey Whitehead is so natural as Alphonse now, it's becoming harder to believe she's a replacement. And Aaron Dismuke was my favorite performer in the first series dub.

Jerry Jewell is a great Barry and I've always liked Maria Ross' VA. I'm not a fan of Wendy Powell's Envy, however.

Personally I don't mind if people complain while it is my favorite manga I will admit that some things such as the fact that Sloth, and especially Lust where much more developed in the first anime. Also the music is better, in particular Brother is one of my favorite songs in anime.

My problem is when this thread is literally the same post over and over again. With people making the same complaints they did the previous episode.

Yeah, when you compare the first 13 episodes of Brotherhood with the first 26 episodes of Fullmetal Alchemist than chances are your going to like the first series more. I will also say that the first series started off great but without Arakawa's story as a backbone the story begans to suffer.

The first series also had an obsession with I am just like you

Bald: I am just like you! We both have a metal arm
Dune

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
^ You say that like it's a bad thing... never-mind I'm getting off-topic.

The thread will probably get more positive once we get past this first round of episodes. While I still have some issues with the current subbed episodes, I admit that there is a huge jump in quality... like night and day almost. But for now, it's hard not to express some frustration with the direction of the early stuff. You only get one chance to make a first impression with some of these characters, and, well... I hope I'm not making things too redundant if I point out my distaste for Brotherhood's version of things. (Skip the next two paragraphs if you don't feel like reading more complaints)

Here's one casualty of the rushing: the initial appearances of the Homunculi were not as strong or distinct as they could have been. Lust's first appearance showcased her ability to transform her own body into its own weapon!... except Hulk!Cornello stole some of her thunder by doing something similar minutes before. Then for whatever reason Brotherhood omitted Lust antagonizing Marcoh in the village. I can understand editing out Lust's threats against the little girl (from the manga), due to time constraints, but it would have taken, like, two seconds to have her show off her claws to Marcoh in the TV adaptation. By the time Lust appears in Lab 5, which was already a pretty crowded episode, her appearance doesn't seem as important as it might have otherwise.

Personally I think that, instead of doing a hyper-abridged run-through of the manga chapters, they could have brought in different points of view to cover some parts... Like Edward seeing certain parts of the future when he visits the Truth, or Hughes investigating the lives of the Elrics and having some events covered from his point of view. But that's just me.

Fortunately the next episode is a comparatively good one. Currently waiting for that to air... I've been quite pleased with Whitehead's Alphonse, so I'm especially looking forward to see how she plays this episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 28