• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood -[adult swim] (w/index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:12 am Reply with quote
Personally I'll rank episode 19 over any single episode of the first series. Best episode of the series so far though by a massive margin... I hope that doesn't stay the case.

kpk wrote:
FMA: Brotherhood.

It's still better animated than FMA1.
Dune

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:28 am Reply with quote
Doggone it, I missed episode 19 because I was out of town, then I slept through nearly all of episode 20. Thankfully Adult Swim's website will put these up, because these episodes contain certain moments I've been looking forward to seeing the most in English.

Episode 19 is great, but I'm still disappointed with how Brotherhood chose to adapt the rest of the arc. I'm not a manga-purist, but the simplification of the plot and characters struck me as unnecessary. Nearly any complicating detail in the Mustang-Ross conflict was washed away or undone, things were simplified for the sake of being simplified, and some of the humor (which was NOT in the manga) was just plain odd. This is baffling to me, because this is the manga's most well-written arc that isn't a flashback. Why mess with it? I'm glad that episode 19 turned out so well, but the overall arc could have been so much better.
drdr48

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Personally I'll rank episode 19 over any single episode of the first series. Best episode of the series so far though by a massive margin... I hope that doesn't stay the case.

That's the key word! Smile
drdr48

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:31 pm Reply with quote
God, I just CAN'T stand Vic Mignogna as Ed! He just moan all the time!
All the time!

After EVERY! GOD! DAMN! SENTENCE!!

Confused
gundam83

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys this is my first post,new to this website what is fullmetal alchemist brotherhood all about I watch the series on dvd(LOVED IT) but what is this series all about? Someone help me please! I'm dying lol jus kidding. Very Happy Very Happy
kpk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:03 am Reply with quote
EP 22:

Wow, the dub was pretty good, but what surprised me the most was Scar's VA.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:16 am Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
EP 22:

Wow, the dub was pretty good, but what surprised me the most was Scar's VA.

That's J. Michael Tatum, who's best known for his fabulous job as Kyoya Ohtori in Ouran High School Host Club and hopefully-to-be-continued role as Shizuka Domeki in xxxHOLiC. He took over Scar upon Daemon Clarke leaving voice acting and therefore being unavailable to reprise the role.

Fantastic episode which, along with the last, is starting to convince me that a reboot was justified.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:51 am Reply with quote
Vic made me cry again, the haters can shut it when it comes to Vic, let's throw THEM into a booth and see how well THEY do. I'm tired of all the English dub hating on these forums, especially when it comes to Vic. Vic and Catlin were wonderful. The reboot is terrific and if you thought you've seen it all, it just gets better from here, but you'll hate that it's going on hiatus after episode 26, believe me, you'll be going crazy.
Imadori7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:24 pm Reply with quote
gundam83 wrote:
Hey guys this is my first post,new to this website what is fullmetal alchemist brotherhood all about I watch the series on dvd(LOVED IT) but what is this series all about? Someone help me please! I'm dying lol jus kidding. Very Happy Very Happy

Brotherhood isn't a different world or a continuation or anything, but the problem with the first FMA series was that it came out when the manga's storyline wasn't exactly developed to the point where they could accurately predict what the story would be about. That's where the whole Dante storyline came from. They remade the series into Brotherhood to more closely coincide with the manga. They even ended on the same day, the last episode and last chapter came out last Sunday.

If we're being completely honest, I score the original FMA as a 5 on a scale of 1-10 because the ending and movie were absolutely horrendous. Brotherhood easily ranks as a 9 in my book, the end was phenomenal and the storyline is way better.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:46 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
Vic made me cry again, the haters can shut it when it comes to Vic, let's throw THEM into a booth and see how well THEY do. I'm tired of all the English dub hating on these forums, especially when it comes to Vic. Vic and Catlin were wonderful. The reboot is terrific and if you thought you've seen it all, it just gets better from here, but you'll hate that it's going on hiatus after episode 26, believe me, you'll be going crazy.

Yeah, they did a FANTASTIC job. Vic, Caitlin and Maxey were awesome and as expected I'm starting to really get into the new Scar voice now that we had a big story scene for him to do in which he did a great job.

Ah thanks Kelly, I never saw any story that the original Scar's voice actor totally left voice acting, makes even more sense why they couldn't get him back then.
kpk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:41 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:

I will admit he was pretty solid, BUT.. not AS Ed. He was just good. period.

His voice sill doesn't fit for the character.

And Catlin can be good.. as long as she doesn't scream Confused
Kelly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:37 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Ah thanks Kelly, I never saw any story that the original Scar's voice actor totally left voice acting, makes even more sense why they couldn't get him back then.

He's nagged some roles in mainstream live action movies and has had some moderate success there. If I remember, we found out he wasn't coming back just about the same time we got confirmation of what we already knew about Aaron Dismuke's natural aging dictating that he couldn't reprise Al. I believe those are the only two roles from the original series which required recasting.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:40 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
Vic made me cry again, the haters can shut it when it comes to Vic, let's throw THEM into a booth and see how well THEY do. .

This is a child's argument. "Let's see YOU do it better."

It's not my job to do better. It's theirs.

For the record, though, I thought Caitlin Glass did a fine job with the latest episode and I think she's making some strides to not sound annoying anymore as Winry.

Vic Mignogna still has no emotional depth to his Edward, though. It's like he's doing a dry read from cue cards.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
My only problem with Vic Mignogna as Edward is how old he sounds. Now, I can accept his voice easily as 15-16 year-old Edward, but anything below that is pushing it. Otherwise I'm quite fond of Vic's performance. It was listening to FMA's dub that opened me up to the idea of very well acted dubs.

Though I am kinda concerned about how Vic and the script writers are going to do on the last scene of episode 26.

Imadori7 wrote:
If we're being completely honest, I score the original FMA as a 5 on a scale of 1-10 because the ending and movie were absolutely horrendous. Brotherhood easily ranks as a 9 in my book, the end was phenomenal and the storyline is way better.

As for the storytelling in FMA: Brotherhood, I still can't agree that Brotherhood is better than the first series, though it's difficult for me to say that it's worse. I felt that, for the most part, the first series got better and better as it went, while Brotherhood has pacing issues. It went too fast in the first 15 or so episodes and dragged on too much in the last 15 or so episodes. The villains are also less sympathetic in Brotherhood. Some can argue that the Father is a better main villain than spoiler[Dante], but I thought the homunculi were far less interesting as characters in Brotherhood. They felt one dimensional and eventually just stopped being threatening to me. Still, Brotherhood does have a more satisfying ending, a more developed setting, better animation, and it has interesting characters that the first series lacked. To put it simply: I think it did some things better than the first series, but it's flaws are more blatant to me.

Perhaps I should just read the manga.
kpk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:26 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
mglittlerobin wrote:
Vic made me cry again, the haters can shut it when it comes to Vic, let's throw THEM into a booth and see how well THEY do. .

This is a child's argument. "Let's see YOU do it better."

It's not my job to do better. It's theirs.

Agreed.

penguintruth wrote:
Vic Mignogna still has no emotional depth to his Edward, though. It's like he's doing a dry read from cue cards.

You know, I'm usually with you on this penguintruth, but this time I actually thought he did an okay job. Not AS Ed (I still don't think he's a good Ed and that the only time his voice did fit the character was in Conqueror of Shamballa), but he did managed to express some emotions, I think.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 28