• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood -[adult swim] (w/index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DragonFire212

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:

1. Welcome to the forums.
  2. You echo my sentiments exactly!!!
  3. This is just hearsay, but it's my understanding that Cartoon Network shows anime in spite of the fact that they would get significantly higher ratings with reruns of American shows.
    Furthermore (again, this is hearsay) they like to repeatedly broadcast a cycle of early episodes of a series if they think that it will generate more interest.
    Also, (again, more hearsay) they never broadcast more than two new episodes a night.

I don't know just how much of point #3 is true or false.

Thanks for the welcome! I've watched anime on and off for like 5 years now, but never really researched / discussed it. Felt like I'd give it a try.

I have no idea what Cartoon Network's ratings actually are. My general impression (both for regular CN & AS) is that they cut shows that aren't immediately "hits", without giving them much time to let interest build. When something is a hit, they like to re-play it, to attract more interest - driving the people who were there from the beginning nuts (*cough* Bleach). AS is in an odd position, though, trying to cater to the entire "15-35 up late at night" group. The reason for the higher ratings with American shows is probably because in addition to them being more familiar, they're easier for people to "jump into" mid stream. Any episode of King of the Hill is funny. If there's any real long-term plot there I've never seen it. Someone who's first experience with brotherhood is ep28 will have no clue what's going on, and have a lot of the dramatic element ruined for them.

All I know is AS has been where I've originally seen a lot of my anime, and I almost always switched to subs / dvds because I couldn't stand the slow pace. There went those ratings. Don't get me started about them butchering openings / endings, either. I'm just glad they stopped doing the "2AM loop" on their anime nights, and are able to get more content in. between caffeine and DVR's that drove me nuts!

Aylinn wrote:

When I wrote that FMA:B fails to deliver the plot from the very beginning I meant the storytelling in general. The methods used to tell the story are, as you noticed, not my cup of tea. In my book, the comedy is too noisy and the drama is too melodramatic. To be frank, I had the same problem with the first series, albeit to a lesser extent. What ruined FMA:Brootherhood for me is the rough transition between the comedy and the drama. Obviously, there are people, who find it to be an acceptable way of making the story more intense, but this method, used frequently, simply puts me off.

Even if it is as you wrote, that these episodes build the characters & the universe, I’m not interested; these episodes I have seen didn’t make me care enough about anything or anyone to continue. The pros are outweighed by the cons. Did I lose something? Perhaps, but there must be plenty of stories in this world, stories done in a way that appeals to me, that’s why I’m not going to waste my time on something that I don’t enjoy in the slightest.

I don’t say it’s a bad series, I just try to explain why I don’t like it, and why I will not finish it.

Exactly, I agree with you about the comedy - in the first episodes I don't like some of it. My opinion has always been Ed & Al become more serious as they mature / realize what's really going on so it's used a little less, separate from it's use as a storytelling mechanism. I was simply trying to let you know that if you were able to make it through the first twenty episodes, there were some changes coming up in another 5 to 10 that might make it better for you. Whether that makes it worth your time, is obviously your call.

I also wanted to clear this up for others reading to let them know that there are in fact changes after EP20, specifically regarding the plot, which I feels is much better than the original, after it picks up. It's a different way of telling a story, but I find it an effective way to deal with a complex universe & a lot of characters, quickly, and have it make sense on the first run through.

All of this while considering I could be missing your point, and trying to not insult your judgment, question your decision, or discount the fact it just might not be for you. Very Happy
DragonFire212

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:01 pm Reply with quote
According to their schedule, new episodes start tonight on AdultSwim.

It says it's EP27, though, which is mostly a recap episode.

Worth watching though if you haven't seen the show since they last aired it. Next week though... EP28 - do not miss!
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:11 am Reply with quote
DragonFire212 wrote:
According to their schedule, new episodes start tonight on AdultSwim.

It says it's EP27, though, which is mostly a recap episode.

Worth watching though if you haven't seen the show since they last aired it. Next week though... EP28 - do not miss!

Pretty good for a recap ep with a bit of everything. I thought the characters Hoenheim was interacting with were all really well voiced and since kid characters can be difficult and grate on the ears sometimes it's worth mentioning the little girl was done in instantly endearing fashion.

Oh yeah, another reminder of how crazy awesomely animated Bradley's battle with Greed was, god that was smooth and powerful showing him off.

Great to have it back on with premieres Smile
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:29 am Reply with quote
Interesting way to do a recap, it sacrificed coherence for just putting up some of the best scenes. Why it does make it so that you have to watch the series, the recap itself is really entertaining, especially the part where they do Let it Out.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:44 am Reply with quote
A fantastic opportinity for me to ask this:

Does anyone have any idea how did Pinako end up so short?

She obviously was a normal sized person in her young days. It seems she has shrunk by at least 70% since then.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:47 am Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:

She obviously was a normal sized person in her young days. It seems she has shrunk by at least 70% since then.

Age. Just ask your grandma (depending on how old she is) you lose inches with age. I know that MY mother has lost 2 inches in the last few years.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:27 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Unicorn_Blade wrote:

Age. Just ask your grandma (depending on how old she is) you lose inches with age. I know that MY mother has lost 2 inches in the last few years.

Captain Obvious strikes again! Thanks for the help though.

What I meant was how can someone get THIS much shorter. From reaching Hohenheims chin to barely reaching his waist if you count the pointy ponytail- thats more than just a few inches Smile
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

What I meant was how can someone get THIS much shorter. From reaching Hohenheims chin to barely reaching his waist if you count the pointy ponytail- thats more than just a few inches Smile

They tend to exaggerate bone loss in anime for comedic effect. Note Cologne and Happosai in Ranma, Kamesennin in DBZ, or Mosquito in Soul Eater, almost all anime/manga elderly are tiny, and they're often depicted as being much taller in their youth.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Interesting way to do a recap, it sacrificed coherence for just putting up some of the best scenes. Why it does make it so that you have to watch the series, the recap itself is really entertaining, especially the part where they do Let it Out.

Good time for me to post that the first time they used that right after the Winry and Scar scene was really well done.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:42 am Reply with quote
The "Father" episode, so freaking good even on my second viewing after watching it on the BD.

So many great dub performances in a single episode.

Agree with the earlier review saying how good Father's voice is with his first bigger set of lines and the dialogue exchange spoiler inside Ling was so great with him wanting the power and "it" being like "usually people fight against this, you know" (who's voice was that he was fantastic in those couple of lines? Was that Troy Baker too?) along with the new Ling/Greed (apparently Troy Baker) voice who was quite perfect.
DragonFire212

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:58 am Reply with quote
These new episodes of Brotherhood are the first time I've seen the dub after seeing the sub of something. I've subs&dubs for other series' but never in that order - so it highlights the differences between the VA's in a new way for me.

The voice actors are good quality in general, but father in particular is very different from the Japanese VA. He doesn't come off as nearly this articulate, and seems a little disconnected. It's not bad, but he definitely felt "different".

This episode is one of my favorites though, because it changes a lot.

spoiler[Ed & Al Finally meet "father", and also realize that he's not Hohenheim. They see father turn off western alchemy, while eastern alchemy "alkestry" is not affected. They see him transmute by thinking, and Greed #2 is created, who stays an important character.
This demonstration of power completely shocked me when I first saw it, because it was beyond what I thought possible with alchemy.
I really like the scene where Greed #2 is created, and the part where Ed realizes Ling is still "in there". It's a very interesting concept. ]

These points, as well as several from the next episode, set up the plot for the remainder of the series, and was for me where it started going from being a decent series to one of my favorite.

One thing which I find disappointing is they aren't showing any of the scenes after the credits. Most of these are the "next episode" bits, but in several upcoming episodes they show actual material after the credits in the sub versions. I guess they were pressed for time or something. Either way, if they don't include those bits there may be a few times you go "why are they doing this now?", because you missed 30-60 seconds where they made a decision or a character came in or something. I know that's not bad compared to other shows, but I wish they could show them completely un-butchered.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:08 am Reply with quote
DragonFire212 wrote:
One thing which I find disappointing is they aren't showing any of the scenes after the credits. Most of these are the "next episode" bits, but in several upcoming episodes they show actual material after the credits in the sub versions. I guess they were pressed for time or something. Either way, if they don't include those bits there may be a few times you go "why are they doing this now?", because you missed 30-60 seconds where they made a decision or a character came in or something. I know that's not bad compared to other shows, but I wish they could show them completely un-butchered.

What you're talking about here is included in the DVD/BR set for these episodes. I am going to be curious to see how the AS broadcast handles that, since those bits are rather important in some cases.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
DragonFire212 wrote:

What you're talking about here is included in the DVD/BR set for these episodes. I am going to be curious to see how the AS broadcast handles that, since those bits are rather important in some cases.

I think this last episode showed how they are going to handle it. Instead of the regular credits, they overlapped the credits with the extra scene. Rather clever and alleviates the problem of losing important information for the next episode(s).
DragonFire212

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:05 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I think this last episode showed how they are going to handle it. Instead of the regular credits, they overlapped the credits with the extra scene. Rather clever and alleviates the problem of losing important information for the next episode(s).

This is the first time I've noticed them do this and I agree it worked very well. They did not do this for EP28 though (although the missing scene where spoiler[Father absorbs the philosopher's stone from Gluttony] isn't very important). I'm very glad to see they have a plan for this. Personally I'd rather see the full episode including credits and a few less Venture Brothers DVD commercials / LSD inspired AdultSwim bumps - but since that will never happen, this is a great compromise.

I am glad they pulled out the "Full Metal Alchemist" sound bytes at the commercial break, though. If you've seen the subs you know what I'm talking about, and by the end of the series I found them rather annoying.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:05 pm Reply with quote
The way they handled it was great, especially because of how moving the ending with as Marcoh says that he sees Scar as a type of god.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 25 of 28