• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Favorite adaptation of FMA: First series or Brotherhood.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dune

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:18 pm Reply with quote
^ The Tezuka background on that website looks really cool. Just thought I'd say that.

IMO Dietlinde Eckart did an adequate job of serving her purpose, though she would have benefited from some fleshing out.

Quote:
Personally, I always saw the King Bradley vs. Mustang battle, more as a battle for Amestris. Afterall King Bradley had nothing to do with the death of Mustang's best friend.

IIRC in the very last scene between Edward and Mustang, Roy actually says outright that his motive for going after Bradley is revenge. He was probably going under the assumption that Bradley ordered the killing, or at least was indirectly responsible for its occurrence.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Its Brotherhood. What fans always ask for. An anime that follows the book. The first was rushed which is why it had a cheesy messed up conclusion. Brotherhood was supposed to be the original and it just follows the book. Book is more violent, smooth, and interesting. First FMA anime got boring as soon as it strayed away from the book.

Although, I'm getting bored of FMA now. Probably because its been out too long. Kinda like Bleach, music, and everything else. All they're doing is repeating what they did in previous chapters/episodes. Not hard to miss after the 200th episode/chapter.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:
The first was rushed which is why it had a cheesy messed up conclusion. Brotherhood was supposed to be the original and it just follows the book.

lolwut

The first series wasn't "rushed", and certainly not to get to Brotherhood. You can prefer the new show if you'd like, but I take some issue with your implication.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I'd also take an issue with the implication that anything that strays from the original material is bad. Sorry sir, but that implication has been disproved again and again since times immemorial.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:20 am Reply with quote
^
lol I remember you. You always disagree with me. Anyway the first FMA was rushed. Ask anybody who actually knows their anime. The first adaptation followed the book until it got "ahead" of the book. You know what happens. They signed a contract so what did they do? Made bs episodes to fulfill their contract. Ok fine it wasn't rushed, but the first adaptation is not what the author of the series wanted The masses didn't want it either. If you recall FMA only became popular until it hit the U.S. 5 or 6yrs back now.

Brotherhood is what the author had initially wanted to put out. Reason why brotherhood took so long to come out is because she wanted to finish the series first or at least come close to it. Didn't want the same thing to happen. I mean it's been a year and the tv show caught up to the book already.

Um no. The book is the original therefore it is always better. That may not be the case in America but in Japan most times its a yes.
Toucanbird

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:27 am Reply with quote
As someone that watched both, I'm going to say Brotherhood. One thing that bothered me about the first FMA was Hohenheim really didn't seem to have that much of an impact in the first series.

In Brotherhood, not only does he have more involvement, but so does Winry. My only beef with Brotherhood is it seems like Ed is not all that great of an alchemist. He has his moments but he seemed stronger in the first series.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:05 am Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:
^
lol I remember you. You always disagree with me. Anyway the first FMA was rushed. Ask anybody who actually knows their anime. The first adaptation followed the book until it got "ahead" of the book. You know what happens. They signed a contract so what did they do? Made bs episodes to fulfill their contract. Ok fine it wasn't rushed, but the first adaptation is not what the author of the series wanted The masses didn't want it either. If you recall FMA only became popular until it hit the U.S. 5 or 6yrs back now.

Brotherhood is what the author had initially wanted to put out. Reason why brotherhood took so long to come out is because she wanted to finish the series first or at least come close to it. Didn't want the same thing to happen. I mean it's been a year and the tv show caught up to the book already.

Um no. The book is the original therefore it is always better. That may not be the case in America but in Japan most times its a yes.

I don't know where to start telling you that you're wrong.

First, they knew going into the first series that there was only a few volumes of the manga and Arakawa told them to do their own thing, even laying out her plans with the manga.

The first series was very popular in Japan, garnering good ratings and ranking high in several polls. The movie even won an award at the Tokyo Anime Fair.

There was nothing "rushed" about the first anime. They even went and made a movie. If they were rushed, they wouldn't have done that. It was only until years after the movie that they even decided to do Brotherhood.

Jeez. I don't mind you disliking the first series and preferring the newer one. That's fine. But it seems like the first series was plenty of a hit before it ever came to America. As for whether it was "rushed", I doubt they would have done 51 episodes and a movie if they just wanted to do a rush job.

Last edited by penguintruth on Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:47 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
amarielah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:08 am Reply with quote
@ ShinobiX

You're a fan of stating your highly subjective opinions as hard facts, I take it.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:19 am Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:
the first adaptation is not what the author of the series wanted

I'd like to see a link where you read/heard the author saying that.

Quote:
The masses didn't want it either.

Which is exactly why so many people liked FMA Rolling Eyes Right. As far as I've seen, the "masses" have received S1 pretty well, except for the people that unconditionally complain when something strays from the source material. In fact, if FMA1 blew as much as you claim, they'd never make FMA:B because nobody would want a sequel/remake.

Quote:

I dunno, where I come from people call this "originality". I guess not something that you value, anyway.

Anime examples of adaptation being better than the book are rare because the genre is too young. Also, best anime works are original stories not adaptations anyway.

Still, a claim like "The book is the original therefore it is always better" is hard to support, although I'd like you try. Especially the "always" part of it. Also, the original isn't always a book.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:50 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Personally, I always saw the King Bradley vs. Mustang battle, more as a battle for Amestris. Afterall King Bradley had nothing to do with the death of Mustang's best friend.

Except, you know, being part of the organization that killed him. But that's not important at all to what Bradley's character was. He totally wasn't a willing puppet of Dante in the first series, nor did he belittle the suffering of Hughes' family when he derided his daughter for crying at his funeral to Mustang.

ShinobiX wrote:
Anyway the first FMA was rushed. .... Ok fine it wasn't rushed...

Way to stick to your guns.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:26 pm Reply with quote
ok u don't have to believe me. It did happen 6 or 7 years ago and no im not going to look for evidence thts six or seven years old.

@Dorcas_Aurelia

If you want me to debate and crush them I will, but I'm too lazy. Plus why argue about the past. Who really cares. Heck even the creator of this thread doesn't really care. Only posted once.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It did happen 6 or 7 years ago and no im not going to look for evidence thts six or seven years old.

Translation: I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I don't want to admit it. Rolling Eyes

penguintruth already addressed it all though, so I'm not gonna reiterate.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:52 am Reply with quote
See lol this is why I told him to shut up. I know him. He's like me except he sucks at baiting people. He never contributes. Just attacks and makes smart comments.

For your info the first FMA was different from the book because the director wanted to take the story in a different direction. She had to do what her boss wanted. Also why back in the day the manga chapters took forever to come out. Now I really don't care if you believe me as I said earlier brat.

Also penguin whatever did change my mind. I'll quote myself. "ok it wasn't rushed...." I moved on you guys didn't. That means you guys are messing with me. Heh that's cool lol. Unfortunately I can't play since Ausdert whatever already put me under the radar lol. Now thats about all I can say since apparently I'm too mean lol. Drop it already. I'm wrong wanna cookie Ausdert? lol brat.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Hey, Shinobi? You might want to try being more coherent. I'm having trouble following you.

Your whole changing your mind from rushed to not rushed is funny because it's in the same post. The same paragraph even, I believe. That's not moving on, that's realizing you can't defend it.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote
^
um think I made that clear already. think as I write. don't think first. Did I move on yes. Did I do it clearly? guess not. Anyway like I said who cares about something 6 yrs old.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5