• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - It's A Little Bit Funi, This Feeling Inside

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I always forget about this when time for twitter questions come around, but is Ben-to anywhere on Funi's radar? It kind of seems to me to be in their wheelhouse, what with the fanservice and pretty girls beating the crap out of people (and each other) on some ridiculous premise *coughSekireicough*. Except the characters have personality beyond their initially presented stereotype (well, the major characters, anyway).

Ya seriously BEN-TO is hilarious and is actually a good fan service parody why hasn't anyone picked it up especially funi.
superdry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I always forget about this when time for twitter questions come around, but is Ben-to anywhere on Funi's radar? It kind of seems to me to be in their wheelhouse, what with the fanservice and pretty girls beating the crap out of people (and each other) on some ridiculous premise *coughSekireicough*. Except the characters have personality beyond their initially presented stereotype (well, the major characters, anyway).

Ya seriously BEN-TO is hilarious and is actually a good fan service parody why hasn't anyone picked it up especially funi.

The show was a giant advertisement for the Sega Saturn pretty much. I wonder if getting clearance from SEGA in the US is a hurdle or not.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:11 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

The show was a giant advertisement for the Sega Saturn pretty much. I wonder if getting clearance from SEGA in the US is a hurdle or not.

They could rename and obscure stuff if they had to but I don't see a problem getting it since they are all old (not really popular) games and series.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

An advertisement for a game system that's been dead for a decade? Sega doesn't even make consoles anymore, period. Without direct tie-ins, I don't really see why Shaga's club referencing obsolete video game systems would be such hindrance. Granted, I've got no experience with such things, but still, that seems unreasonable.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Just looked at some screenshot comparisons at a videophile blog I read, and wow, FUNi's Lain looks terrible. Fansub encoders latched onto Hi10p specifically to reduce awful effects like that in massively compressed video while keeping the same filesize or possibly less as 8bit h.264. Something like that should not be a problem with the room 50GB BDs afford you, right?

I'm not saying the Japanese release is immaculate or reference quality (not at all), but this looks someone didn't even care to double check their work. What went wrong?

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Posting because Craig Ferguson was mentioned.

Also when the process is slow I wouldn't call it working too well.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Just looked at some screenshot comparisons at a videophile blog I read, and wow, FUNi's Lain looks terrible. Fansub encoders latched onto Hi10p specifically to reduce awful effects like that in massively compressed video while keeping the same filesize or possibly less as 8bit h.264. Something like that should not be a problem with the room 50GB BDs afford you, right?

I'm not saying the Japanese release is immaculate or reference quality (not at all), but this looks someone didn't even care to double check their work. What went wrong?

It's no samurai champlo and I honestly think it's fine if you are are not OMG there is an error.

Last edited by Tanteikingdomkey on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total
dizzon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:16 am Reply with quote
I've watched(and own) both the Japanese and FUNi Blu-ray of Lain and it amazes me how many people want to complain as to how inferior the latter product is in comparison without doing the same. Is it the EXACT same? No. But the difference, IMO, especially for the price, is not nearly justification for this bizarre level of outrage.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:30 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Just looked at some screenshot comparisons at a videophile blog I read

Complain when you've actually seen the source. Screengrab comparisons on blogs are the source of 99% of the complaints I see about every single bluray release and most of the time they're single-frame nitpicks, and then people use that to say "THIS IS THE WORST RELEASE IN HISTORY". Then it becomes a meme, then it's all anyone can even talk about in relation to a release. It's this ridiculous mob thing that never seems to be based in reason or fairness, never based on actual firsthand experience by the people complaining (and no "I saw some screengrabs on a videophile blog" is not firsthand experience).

I get it, you really want to smack Funimation around for not doing things right. You don't need to be so obviously unfair and over-the-top about it.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
dizzon wrote:
I've watched(and own) both the Japanese and FUNi Blu-ray of Lain and it amazes me how many people want to complain as to how inferior the latter product is in comparison without doing the same. Is it the EXACT same? No. But the difference, IMO, especially for the price, is not nearly justification for this bizarre level of outrage.

Once upon a time I had a classmate in Chinese; he'd lived in Taiwan a year, and the topic of hygiene in restaurants came up. To paraphrase, he said "If I find a hair in my soup, I won't return it. I won't be outraged. It's just a hair." to which I was incredulous, irrespective of the logic that yes indeed, the soup is no less edible with an extra hint of keratin.

It is an easily avoidable mistake, after all. Not to mention embarrassing. Besides, when you're charging a premium and going for the gusto, presentation matters. I suppose somewhere along the line FUNi thought they could save a buck with BD25; ambitious, but ultimately at odds with the idea of something being premium. At least, so might myself and other highfalutin anime and soup fans feel. And you bought the import AND domestic releases, so don't go slinging around words like bizarre!

Zac wrote:
(and no "I saw some screengrabs on a videophile blog" is not firsthand experience).

It's possible that there's additional compression marring screen grabs, but provided they're in something like lossless PNG it will be identical.
Kakugo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:39 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Complain when you've actually seen the source.

Okay. I own the FUNi release of LAIN, and I think the banding is pretty rotten, even if it is intermittent. I know my personal knee-jerk was over the fact that the first 5 minutes of ep. 1 (after the OP) were some of the worst in the set; it's like getting a charred appetizer before a meal. That first course doesn't negate the whole, but it sure does leave you with a rotten first impression.

Was it worth the $55 I paid for it? Absolutely. The packaging alone was worth that. Is it unwatchable? No, just imperfect, and for a title that FUNi clearly loves, I have little doubt they could have done better had they re-organized their resources where it matters most (ie: the discs). Charge me another ten dollars and use a pair of dual-layer discs, please.
dizzon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:53 am Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
dizzon wrote:

Once upon a time I had a classmate in Chinese; he'd lived in Taiwan a year, and the topic of hygiene in restaurants came up. To paraphrase, he said "If I find a hair in my soup, I won't return it. I won't be outraged. It's just a hair." to which I was incredulous, irrespective of the logic that yes indeed, the soup is no less edible with an extra hint of keratin.

It is an easily avoidable mistake, after all. Not to mention embarrassing. Besides, when you're charging a premium and going for the gusto, presentation matters. I suppose somewhere along the line FUNi thought they could save a buck with BD25; ambitious, but ultimately at odds with the idea of something being premium. At least, so might myself and other highfalutin anime and soup fans feel. And you bought the import AND domestic releases, so don't go slinging around words like bizarre!

I do go slinging around words like bizarre and I would thank you to not suggest I have no right to. You go ahead and use as many inane analogies as you'd like as long as they mean something to you.
superdry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:12 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

They could rename and obscure stuff if they had to but I don't see a problem getting it since they are all old (not really popular) games and series.

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

An advertisement for a game system that's been dead for a decade? Sega doesn't even make consoles anymore, period. Without direct tie-ins, I don't really see why Shaga's club referencing obsolete video game systems would be such hindrance. Granted, I've got no experience with such things, but still, that seems unreasonable.

It's more so the games that were shown in the series than the system itself. Regarding renaming or obscuring stuff - you would have to change all the posters on the ceiling in one of the rooms (I don't think the ceiling shot happens once either, but it happens later in the series if I remember correctly) and also all the video game footage. It's doable though, but at what cost?

Still, I would assume anyone licensing the series would need to talk to SEGA to make sure its okay.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:24 am Reply with quote
dizzon wrote:

I don't own either, I don't have any particular dog in this fight, but the comparison is pretty undeniable.

Now you may not care, but that doesn't mean the people saying Funi's video is inferior are wrong, because quite clearly they aren't.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
dizzon wrote:

I don't own either, I don't have any particular dog in this fight, but the comparison is pretty undeniable.

Now you may not care, but that doesn't mean the people saying Funi's video is inferior are wrong, because quite clearly they aren't.

yes but they are also not that big of a problem. and therefore should not be triggering this level of nerd rage.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8