• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Favourite Manga of 2012

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:32 am Reply with quote
My main complaint with Yen's rerelease of Alice was not the fact that the rereleases were omnibuses, but the fact that they knew fine well TP had already released the first 5 volumes, but chose not to release the 6th volume as an individual one, effectively forcing people to double dip on at least 1 volume, and if you're OCD about your collection like I am, I could not have stood having 5 regular sized volumes next to 1 larger sized one, so I rebought the entire series. Which is great for Yen's bank account, but doesn't make me happy as a fan, and I think it would have been a nice gesture on their part to release the 6th volume individually, then later go back and rerelease the earlier volumes, kinda like what they did with Yotsuba. Whereas Viz are being wonderful with Loveless, and releasing 9+ as individual volumes and rereleasing 1-8 as 2 in 1 omnibuses, with a colour plate to give the missing cover art. That's how a rerelease should be handled, in my opinion.

marie-antoinette - My Nodame collection also looks sad.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:41 am Reply with quote
Lys wrote:
Haha! Weren't you the one with an avatar of Maria for like the longest time, before it got licensed? (sorry if I'm thinking of someone else...)

Nope, my old avatar was Marie-Antoinette from Rose of Versailles, which I hilariously changed about a month or so before that licensing news struck.

And yes, st_owly, I can definitely see how that would suck. The only license rescue I've been it with was Gunslinger Girl and, while they did go the omnibus route, they did make it so that you didn't have to rebuy anything you already owned in ADV's old editions.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:48 am Reply with quote
@ st_owly

I agree that it would have been nice if they could have put out the last volume as a single. However, it didn't happen, but we did get the final volume. I ended up doing what you did and buying the two ominbus volumes. Like you I now have 5 TP volumes I can't give away. The main thing is we did get the last volume. I've lost too many series to worry about double dipping.

I just wish someone would bring out VB Rose or some of those Go Comi titles we lost.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:50 am Reply with quote
Favorite finished: Cross Game. It's hard to describe the series using words besides "perfect". The way the series wraps up may be one of my favorite finishes of all time.

Favorite continuing: Yotsuba&!. Feels a bit like cheating since only one volume came out, but I love this series so much. Yotsuba is adorable, and the way everyone will just play along with whatever she's doing results in hilarity.

Biggest discovery: Skip Beat. Gotten several mentions already and for good reason. Kyoko might be my new favorite heroine.

Biggest nostalgia breaker: Hana Kimi. I got into shojo manga (and probably manga in general) almost a decade ago thanks to this series, and so I started picking up the omnibus editions earlier this year. Either it hasn't aged well, or I've aged too much, because I don't like it nearly as much as I did back then. May give it another go sometime just to make sure and try to put a finer point on why I feel that way.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:

Biggest nostalgia breaker: Hana Kimi. I got into shojo manga (and probably manga in general) almost a decade ago thanks to this series, and so I started picking up the omnibus editions earlier this year. Either it hasn't aged well, or I've aged too much, because I don't like it nearly as much as I did back then. May give it another go sometime just to make sure and try to put a finer point on why I feel that way.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I'd give it the same prize - I was so disappointed when I started to reread it - it wasn't nearly the funny, romantic story that I remembered. My best guess is that it was just different enough when it came out that it stood out, but its imitators ultimately put the story seeds to better use.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I'd give it the same prize - I was so disappointed when I started to reread it - it wasn't nearly the funny, romantic story that I remembered. My best guess is that it was just different enough when it came out that it stood out, but its imitators ultimately put the story seeds to better use.
I'm also glad I'm not the only one who feels this way! You could be right on that; I've encountered similar situations with other "formative" series but hadn't considered it with this one.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Can I add a new one:

Favorite manga wannabe: Soul-Less. When volume one came out I just read it, found it intriguing, but was put off by the amount of cleavage given. Now that volume two has come out, I think Yen Press has finally hit a success with their adaption of Del Rey books project. In book form I found the Soul-Less series cute, but nothing unique with all the other "adult" historical supernatural romance stuff out there, but in "manga" form I'm finding it adapting to the medium quite well with it being full of action, romance, shoujo-ai and shonen-ai relationships and just the barest hint of steam punk. REM's artwork I think has a lot of do with why I'm loving it. American "manga" for once looks like the real thing to me. Liking it so much that I'll be pre-ordering the next volume, and I'm going to hope I see some cosplayers next convention I go to.

But really... Victorian Scottish werewolves that spend most of a volume giving you nude fan service. How can you not love that?

Ok maybe a guy wouldn't. But seeing as they have plenty of comics giving girls constant fanservice, I think I'm allowed this one guilty pleasure.

I'll probably post again later tonight to give my two cents on the categories already given.

As to Hana Kimi I've been re-reading it too, and I think it suffers from the repetitive formula syndrome that shoujo manga now have overused to death. Put in a school festival here, a beach trip there, a cross dressing situation there, etc. I haven't been able to read a manga that dones this for years now it seems. I think Maid-Sama was my last one. It was fresh to me at the time, and I'll look back at the manga sentimentally (especially that delightful live action adaption) but I won't be happily re-reading it until I can forget a lot of what happened in it.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:26 am Reply with quote
Lys wrote:

But you don't actually lose the art with the Yen Press releases. They always (as far as I know) include the original covers as colour insert pages. And their omnibus editions of Alice are so prettily designed!! (the Thermae Romae omnibus is pretty fantastic too, while we're at it.)

That is good to know! I was actually bitching about Del-rey's omnibuses. Anime hyper
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Favourite manga that was concluded this year - Twin Spica
I love Twin Spica, you love Twin Spica, we all love Twin Spica!

Favourite manga I ignored for too long - Natsume's Book of Friends
A sweet, quiet manga about yokai? A weirdly adorable mentor in catform? Why didn't I read this before? Next con I'm buying a big Nyanko-sensei plush.

Favourite manga that beat the odds and was released in English after all - Olympos
I fell in love with Aki's artwork when I blind bought Utahime and Olympos is even prettier. I appreciate her original new take on famous mythological figures. Did I mention it's really pretty?

Favourite manga I thought I would never read - Gunslinger Girl
I had my doubt about this series for a long time. People warned me it was a creepy moe series about vulnerable young girls. I finally bought the first omnibus volume because it's so cheap. It wasn't what people made it out to be. Sure, some of the youngest girls are emotionally dependent on their handler, but by the end of the first omnibus it's very clear this is not a good thing. At all. The second omnibus was cheap too, so I continued reading. By the end of that volume many characters had grown on me, and not because they were vulnerable, but because they had admirable personalites or interesting backgrounds. So I bought the third omnibus. A larger plotline started to take shape and new characters got a chance to shine. Fourth omnibus is on its way and I'm hooked.
DDdreamer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Favourite manga that I've been reading for a while:
Spice & Wolf. The release is dreadfully slow, at least over here in Sweden, but I just can't bring myself to drop it. I love the story, I love the setting, I love the characters but above all, I love how Lawrence and Horo's relationship grows very slowly and naturally. Good romance is a rarity these days (for me, at least).
Favourite manga that I discovered this year:
Flower of evil. I don't think I've ever read a manga like this, which is why I like it so much, I guess. The main character is kind of spineless and shy, but I did actually end up feeling sympathy for him (unlike the many other characters following the same trope). I think it's because he's shown to be a very kind and considerate person, who harbors no ill intent for anyone. Definitely gonna pick up the latest book when it gets released. (Once again, release schedule is DREADFULLY slow...)

D3
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote
DDdreamer wrote:
Flower of evil. I don't think I've ever read a manga like this, which is why I like it so much, I guess. The main character is kind of spineless and shy, but I did actually end up feeling sympathy for him (unlike the many other characters following the same trope). I think it's because he's shown to be a very kind and considerate person, who harbors no ill intent for anyone. Definitely gonna pick up the latest book when it gets released. (Once again, release schedule is DREADFULLY slow...)

D3

It comes out very slowly in Japan, only 2 volumes a year. We have published 4 volumes in 7 months... not too bad. Expect vol 4 soon it is at the printers right now and the cover is pretty fancy!!
DDdreamer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:
DDdreamer wrote:

D3

It comes out very slowly in Japan, only 2 volumes a year. We have published 4 volumes in 7 months... not too bad. Expect vol 4 soon it is at the printers right now and the cover is pretty fancy!!

I see, thanks for telling me! The wait is easier to stand when you know the wait's not because it takes ages for your country to import the volumes. If the manga keeps the same quality all the way through, I'll probably end up following it to the end. :3

D3
Gayjopa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:49 am Reply with quote
Bleach
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:07 am Reply with quote
Gayjopa wrote:
Bleach

Why was it your favorite? Just listing is against the rules and it doesn't contribute to the conversation or promote discussion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RGaspar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:08 am Reply with quote
First of all, I wanted to thanks Marie-antoinette and the others for this great thread idea. It's always good to hear about series being published from all over the world, series I'd not known of otherwise.

Now, personally it was a very poor year for manga, with the local industry almost collapsing and the prices going to the roof.

Still, here we go with the little I have:

Best completed manga of the year: Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. I was quite impressed with the stuff Hayao Miyazaki can come up with when he's not restricted to the 2 hour-ish movie format. I've rarely seen a manga that follows such an ecological agenda and it's fun at the same time. The drawings look old-school but are very pleasant and detailed. If you liked the movie people, this is for you.

Best Ongoing manga of the Year: One Piece, without a doubt. I know it's a very typical shonen at times, but it's so fun and light-hearted, with good dinamic art and you can feel the author having fun as he goes along. You had a bad day? One Piece is right there to give you a good time. Only read some 140s chapters so far, but it's looking very, very good.

And there's some sort of big story in the background to booth, besides the random episodic adventures.

Most disappointing manga of the year: Welcome to the NHK. Granted, it's not bad (I gave it a 6 out of 10) but it could have been much better. What really put it down was the Misaki character (totally dominant b*tch), the feeling the story was running in circles in the middle, and that sometimes you had very serious problems that were solved in some typical shonen fashion. Still, the ending was nice and all, but the overall story didn't live up to my expectations of early volumes.

Worst Manga Ever, I mean, of the Year: Gyo. Still better than the OVA, but almost as bad. Is this supposed to be horror? Because it might as well be comedy. Terrible dialogue, awful plotting and some wasted opportunities for true horror. I mean, all those fishes are quite scary-looking but they are never used in a proper marine scene. If I had seen that "Ga-Shunk" shark in some deep waters I'd have been terrified.

I wasn't scared in the least, but I felt disgusted enough to lose my appetite (Specially if you marathon this and the OVA in the same day)

Ugh, at least it's quite short.

Last edited by RGaspar on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5