• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Favourite Manga of 2012

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timesteel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:09 am Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Favorite Continuing:
Skip Beat (Yoshiki Nakamura; Publisher: Viz Media)- Sort of feel bad that Viz is now doing the 3-1 Omnibus but this series still puts a smile on my face.

Favorite Indie (non-manga):
Jinchalo and Ojingogo(Matt Forsythe; Publisher: Drawn & Quarterly)- The lack of dialogue pretty much invites the reader to "up" the story as you go along. Somehow these trippy fantasies manage to be charming and fun.

Must Read Next Year:
Ooku: The Inner Chambers (Fumi Yoshinaga; Publisher: VIZ Signature); 20th Century Boys (Naoki Urasawa
Publisher: VIZ Signature); The Strange Tale of Panorama Island (Suehiro Maruo; Publisher: Last Gasp) and lots of other stuff on Jmanga.

Favorite New Discovery:
Basically everything from Jason Thompson's 1000 Manga column. Lots of older (and a few new) titles I'm still searching for.

Saturn Apartments (Hisae Iwaoka; Publisher: VIZ Signature)-Love the artwork and the casual Sci-Fi elements. It reminds me alot of Twin Spica (sad that's incomplete & OOP). Main character was a bit whiny at first but I've grown attached to him and the side cast.

Thermae Romae (Mari Yamazaki; Publisher: Yen Press)-I didn't like the anime (horrible animation mainly) but the manga is better IMO. The use of time travel to parallel Ancient Rome and Japan bath culture is quite fun to read and a bit informative.
GEN Manga- Want to see more self-published manga websites next year so I'm glad I tried this one out.

Favorite "Old School" Release:
Without a doubt, Moto Haigo's Heart of Thomas, published by Fantagraphics. I wished more Year 24 would be released but I'm glad I can own other manga such as Toward the Terra and A Drunken Dream.

Favorite Mature Titles:
On Toward Our Noble Deaths (Shigeru Mizuki; Publisher: Drawn & Quarterly)- Crude characters, tropical scenery, war is hell message, and some odd toilet/black humor was quite entertaining for me.

Sakuran (Moyoco Anno; Publisher: Vertical)- Beautiful yet harsh reality on historical courtesans; what more can I ask?

Message to Adolf: (Osamu Tezuka; Publisher: Vertical)- I found out about this manga after reading Kingyo's Used Books. Bought the first Omnibus at my local comic store; been satisfied ever since.

Favorite Artbook Import: While not a manga, I love Daisuke Igarashi's Kaijuu to Tamashii. Quite a few of the art is from Children of the Sea but I just enjoy his sea creatures and ocan scenery.

Manga that made me get a JManga account:
Edo Nekoe Jubei-Maru Nagao (I just really like cats and kimonos!); Sweet Blue Flowers-Takako Shimura (Favorite yuri on the website so far); Doukyusei - Asumiko Nakamura (Sure it's just a one volume fluff BL but Asumiko needs more love!! Plus, I already own Double Mints-DMP; So glad Vertical will be picking up some of her work)

dang how did I miss thermae romae getting an english release
BrokenByDefault

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:53 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I've been planning to read this one too! Hopefully next year, when I'm out of school, I will be able to play catch-up on all the great titles I've heard about.

Glad you checked out Paradise Kiss, it's one of my favourites. And the new editions look lovely, though I'll admit that the size seems awkward to me, if I were to put them on my shelf with other manga. But I have the Tokyopop editions so I don't really need to worry.

It's a fantastic series, I can't recommend it enough! If only I was able to read Japanese or French to be able to import the remaining volumes.

Yeah, they are rather awkward looking my shelf because of the size, but the beautiful cover art and colour pages sure do make up for it! Although, I'm just thankful that I get a chance to read the series, since it would cost a fortune to buy a set of the Tokyopop release living here in Australia.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:51 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Just when I thought it would never happen, Yen press put out the last three volumes of Chocolat as volume 8. I started reading last night and finished the whole series just now. That is a real scary view of Korean idol fandom. It was a lot clearer on the idea that if you take up on one, you leave the other behind. (Lovin' Spoonful reference)

I need to get this volume, but the one thing that has always baffled me about this series is that, for some reason, you can't like more than one group. I do wonder how true that is to reality. I'm glad to see the series finally ending, I bought the first volume in 2008!! Now if only YP would release the rest of Goong...
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure Goong is complete in Korea, right? How many volumes is YP behind on?

Question about Paradise Kiss: I love Nana, but I had trouble getting into PK. The story is not as engaging as Nana, IMHO, and I found the Tokyopop format, particulary the tiny font they used for side comments in most panels, to be nearly impossible to read. I was thinking about giving ParaKiss another try now that Vertical gave it a new format and translation. How do those new editions hold up?
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Overall Favourites of the Year? Two titles that come in mind.

The Drops of God: It's been a long while since I've been so enthralled with a series and been left wanting more. I love how the creators draw the feelings and reactions of the characters consuming the wine they drink. The characters are loads of fun as well; their antics more so. Come on Agi, let us have more!

Firefighter! Daigo of Fire Company M: I've still only read the first five volumes, but it has already left a major impact in me. Daigo's fantastic feats to save lives and the raw emotion that we see from them really moved me, and should have sold more people on this series. Masahito Soda's thick lines highlight so much, from the roaring flames to the way Daigo heaves in exhaustion after a mission. That twinge I feel in my chest when civilians thank Daigo from the bottom of their hearts doesn't happen all the time, you know.

I wish I could talk about Cross Game, but I still need to read the last three books.

Favourite Continuing Series: Skip Beat! and Otomen. The former continues to entertain me with its intriguing storylines and dynamic between the two protagonists. The latter has me laughing out loud in several instances while going through each new book for the first time. The budding seriousness of the storyline is a nice touch.

Pleasant Surprises:

I have a weird relationship with Kekkaishi. Every time I pause reading this series to read something else, it takes a while for me to get back into it. But once I do, man is it good! It continues to impress, as of 26 volumes. I always find myself wondering what will happen next, only to have Yellow Tanabe throw a curve.

Saint Seiya (Knights of the Zodiac) proves to be a whirlwind of cheesiness and awesomeness. The head-SPLAT falls and Viz's gaudy font for the first few volumes get me laughing, but those 1-2 page attack spreads are amazing!

It's been great reading some of these posts. I look forward to reading more.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
Firefighter! Daigo of Fire Company M: I've still only read the first five volumes, but it has already left a major impact in me. Daigo's fantastic feats to save lives and the raw emotion that we see from them really moved me, and should have sold more people on this series. Masahito Soda's thick lines highlight so much, from the roaring flames to the way Daigo heaves in exhaustion after a mission. That twinge I feel in my chest when civilians thank Daigo from the bottom of their hearts doesn't happen all the time, you know.

This series definitely deserved to sell more, glad you're only 5 volumes in but so enthralled already! I remember that when I went to read one volume of this series, I ended up reading 3 or 4 easily, I also love the artwork, it's clear and easy to understand, but he uses those thick lines really well. His action artwork is just awesome, I rather wish more mangaka imitated it. And then, at the end of every arc, you get this awesome good feeling buzz, so it's a full shonen manga package that few other deliver on. And it will continue to be awesome for 15 more volumes!
This was probably on my list about 2 years ago. If we can move even one more person to go out and buy this, I will be pleased (c'mon guys, I wasn't wrong about Twin Spica, was I?)
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:18 pm Reply with quote
timesteel wrote:

dang how did I miss thermae romae getting an english release

If it makes you feel any better, it's still pretty recent news, since the release date was November 20.

A second The Drops of God mention definitely means I'll have to pick that one up. Apologies if anyone else mentioned it too, I may have missed it since it hoped onto my radar mostly because it was paired with Parakiss.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:03 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I'm pretty sure Goong is complete in Korea, right? How many volumes is YP behind on?

Question about Paradise Kiss: I love Nana, but I had trouble getting into PK. The story is not as engaging as Nana, IMHO, and I found the Tokyopop format, particulary the tiny font they used for side comments in most panels, to be nearly impossible to read. I was thinking about giving ParaKiss another try now that Vertical gave it a new format and translation. How do those new editions hold up?

YP have released 12 volumes in English, but volumes 9-12 are 2 in 1's, so I guess that makes 16 Korean volumes. There are 27 volumes in Korea, if I remember correctly.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote
On the shelf: I picked up Yotsuba & ! but I'm waiting with Negima so I can get the final four books in one {depressing, soul crushing} chunk.

On the Shelf: Wish You Were Here variety: Viz released Nausica in a high class hard cover format. Know what I'd love that way? Shopping Trip To Yokohama. It'd be just so amazing.

The Little Devil and the Biscuit Hammer. Somehow, I expect that I'll get a BD release of an anime that never will get made before I can ever see volume one get licensed. Why? Yeah, that's what I want to know. Book, anime, whatever; I love good stories and this is a great one.

On the QT {wink} reading: Fujimura-Kun Mates. It's best described as an absurdist take on harem stories. Why won't the harem lead choose one of these girls {Or any grl for that matter?}? RAFO...

Binbogama-Ga! The anime got me into the manga; I love how monthly comedies are drawn and this one's no exception. Amazingly epic and funny as a broken leg. That get hits with a baseball bat. Repeatedly. With great relish. By a perverted monk. It's not for the faint of heart or those with an aversion to gag breasts.

Heaven's Lost Property: Continues to develop and continues to get both simpler and more complex with each chapter. An action sci-fi fantasy comedy that loves taking cues from soap operas. What's to love? It works.

Tonari no Kahiwasagi-San. I've always been a fan of shonen romances {since I started reading them, natch} and this one's pretty damn cute. GE is getting on my nerves and I've giving up on Town Where You Live so long ago {many, many times as well}. This is the only left that I'm reading, while looking forward to each chapter.

Genshiken Part Deux, mostly to see if the fanbase {that means you, maybe not you} finally catches on to Sue and Madarame, never mind Madarame. It's been building since her first appearance, it may eventually come to head now what's happened, happened. I'll start collecting it once all of the first series gets rereleased but I'd rather see the anime on my shelf get continued instead...
lys

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
The Little Devil and the Biscuit Hammer. Somehow, I expect that I'll get a BD release of an anime that never will get made before I can ever see volume one get licensed. Why? Yeah, that's what I want to know. Book, anime, whatever; I love good stories and this is a great one.

You know that's available on JManga? They've got the first two volumes so far. (sorry if you knew and are reading it there; I couldn't really tell by how you worded your statement.)
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Hm.... I suppose I'll give my spin then....

Best purcahses: Tie between Animal land and Itsuwaribito. I've been buying animal land for along time now and have recently ordered volume 6, and Itsuwaribto's first volume started off pretty well for me and I went out to get volumes 2 and 3. I also got Attack of the titan but I haven't read it yet and its basically a blind buy on my part.

Best online manga: I suppose I'll give this to assasination classroom for being consecutivly enjoyable during the course of its run, much like beelzebub when I got into it I haven't found a chapter I hated yet.

I can't exactly think up anything else so I guess I'll leave it there.
Kelly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote
My votes are:

Most disappointing: xxxHOLIc.
Not because the ending was soul crushingly sad in a very quiet way - I was expecting things to go down somewhat close to the manner they did, because this is CLAMP, we were getting pretty big hints, and the Tsubasa gang already got a reprieve, so I strongly suspected Watanuki had to be screwed after that - but because everything was rushed and some things went unexplained while others became red herrings (the egg, anyone?)

Favourite: Vampire Knight.
As alot of foreshadowing bore fruit, Kaname proved to be pure evil, Aido broke our hearts and Zero fans got some last-minute fuel. Next year looks to be very interesting indeed.
Wiizard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Best comeback: Liar Game, which is still going strong, although it's not as good as last arc, but I think that's because the 5th game is when it's gonna get real.

Hunter x Hunter went into hiatus again, but it's life I guess. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't my favourite manga ever, but it's gonna keep going, so at least there's that.

I don't like reading short manga mostly, so I usually start reading long series, which means I almost never read something actually recent. I read two big names last year. Kekkaishi, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and Soul Eater. Gotta say, those battle scenes are gorgeous to look at!

I also think One Piece had a much better year than 2011. spoiler[Last years arc was all we hoped for the beginning of the New World, and Fishman Island was kinda dissapointing to me, because none of the villains were that interesting, plus I hate underwater levels in videogames Rolling Eyes]

Last edited by Wiizard on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
skafreak51

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Here goes nothing.

Favorite Older Series: It's not really that old, but Yotsuba. I bought the first 10 volumes at AnimeNEXT without knowing much about it, and I was pretty blown away. It's really a perfect example of a series that is so simple that is still filled with depth and joy- it does what it tries to do better than anything I've read.

Biggest Disappointment: Gantz. The series started really strong; I literally tore through the first 3 or 4 volumes, but it eventually becomes an extremely repetitive series and loses all the depth that the series started with.

Sad to See it Ending: 20th Century Boys. Now, I still don't know whether the ending on that series was an immense train wreck, or if the actual ending is in 21st Century Boys (which is releasing soon,) but even as rushed as that ending was, the manga was still fantastic. One of my favorite series of all time.

Also, Bakuman. Yes, this series has faults. Yes, they are apparent. But getting past that, it's become such a highly engaging series. I rarely feel the need to buy anything on release, but this is the one series I need to get the day its out.

Surprise of the Year: For this one, it's Bloody Monday. I didn't expect much from it- and the first 2 volumes dragged into cliche shonen territory- but once it freed itself at let it be its own thing, it actually got really, really great. It's not perfect, but it's still really damn good. Only complaint is that the artwork never really goes above normality- there are a few pages in each volume that do, and those pages are great. Just wish there was more.

Favorite Continuing: Obvious for me, it's One Piece. Last year's Fishman Island Saga was a gigantic downer- it felt as if Oda no longer had a clue of what he was doing- but thank God, One Piece returned to being the fantastic manga that it was. Sadly one of the only shonen action manga that does things right.

Great "Re"releases: Genshiken (Omnibus,) Message to Adolf.

Manga I Read This Year and Somewhat Enjoyed: Thermae Romae was pretty good, occasionally going into "great," but the series pretty much repeats itself every single chapter. There's a lot of potential for the series to really go somewhere, but I don't think it will. Still, I'll continue it. I finally got around to reading Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Part 3 which was printed a few years back here. It's silly, it's dumb, it's sometimes cliche, but the artwork is excellent and as silly as it gets, it's something that I actually thoroughly enjoyed anyway. I'd keep reading more if it came out here. I'm also still reading Toriko, even though it's not too good. It never engages like manga shonen action manga do- honestly, I'm only reading it because of the fantastical adventure of weird food and creatures it leads you on- and in that aspect, the mangaka does it well.
Wiizard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:02 pm Reply with quote
skafreak51 wrote:
Favorite Continuing: Obvious for me, it's One Piece. Last year's Fishman Island Saga was a gigantic downer- it felt as if Oda no longer had a clue of what he was doing- but thank God, One Piece returned to being the fantastic manga that it was. Sadly one of the only shonen action manga that does things right.

Yeah, the sceneario's were overdrawn some times, the action scenes were confusing as hell, and it didn't help that Bakuman and Hunter were having such good arcs. And you're right, it's sad that we don't get much good shonen action manga. This is a genre that, I think, because is so oversaturated, could use some more good releases. FMA is over, Bleach and Naruto are meh at best nowadays (in my opinion at least), and the ones that are good get sacked midway through (like Psyren or Sensei no Barrage).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5