• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Supporting Character Tournament: Minigame

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olliff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:14 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
I'm surprised at who my winner turned out to be. If we'll still use "it's a main character" as an excuse during the tournament then I'll most likely do as bad as I did in the last minigame(which pretty much involved 0 research and popularity before anything else). And during a quick glance at wiki, I realized so many characters that would be considered part of the main cast, strictly speaking.
One single thing I'll definitely regret later is picking Balalaika instead of November 11. Oh, I'll definitely support November 11 when the time comes.

This will definitely come up. Characters, like Ami who are likable, have a decent presence, but are borderline main characters probably will face their demise because of their semi-main character status. While my bracket didn't show it, I will vote for most characters who I feel are supporting over those who are even arguably main unless I feel that they are facing a weak supporting character. It will be interesting to see if other voters will do the same. I also hope that not all of the final four hail from popular series. I am rooting for two older characters that may have lacked the nominations, but I feel are very worthy. One of them Lt. Yamamoto has a very solid guide entry. I also wonder if how well the guide entry is written will have a substantial impact on the outcomes in this tournament.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:55 am Reply with quote
Just as an FYI, I am not currently holding high hopes that the tournament will get started tonight. I am woefully far behind in getting the Guide entries set up, and unfortunately, beyond providing the write-ups and pics (which has already been done, thankfully), that's not something anyone else can really help me with.

There's still a chance that I can pull it off today, though (I am, through an odd confluence of events, off work today and have only finishing a review as a higher priority), so I do recommend getting your Minigame entries in by tonight if you haven't already done so. (And Dorcas_Aurelia, you'll be getting mine probably at the last minute again.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Only up to 13 entries. Key will make 14. As it stands, that's the lowest participation rate since I've been running the mini-game.

List:
~~Epic~~
skylark
Ggultra2764
Sea Lion
Beltane70
marie-antoinette
JesuOtaku
Olliff
TG23
mow123
Mylene
egoist
abunai

Quote:
I also hope that not all of the final four hail from popular series.

Look for Rakushun (or maybe Tomoyo Daidouji, but probably not) in Group C or someone in Group D (if they can beat out Euphie) then as your best chances.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Man... I totally regret voting for Ami. I shouldn't have watched Toradora while I was doing my selections. Not to mention I'm the one who nominated Norman... Embarassed
Bluebeard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Please feel free to start the tournament later rather than sooner Smile I have to go out in 15 minutes and I'm real close to finishing up. I only have Rounds 4 - Finals left. The tough ones are all finished. I expect to have my entry in around midnight - 1:00 EST if the tournament hasn't begun yet.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Olliff wrote:
This will definitely come up.

I suppose we should prepare for a storm, in that case. Too many characters reach said borderline, yet some still intend to use that as a factor. I, on the other hand, will completely ignore that, as the phase to decide whether they're mains or not is already over. Though that's what I'll be sticking to, but I suppose the first phase will be composed mostly of popularity based votes; perhaps until reasons are required.

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
As it stands, that's the lowest participation rate since I've been running the mini-game.

Perhaps because not everyone is willing to buy a Microsoft program that costs about £100 for a game like this(what kind of game would be worth this much anyway). Or was there an alternative I'm not aware of?
Well, I actually used a computer at work for this. I refuse to feed Microsoft for more than I already paid for my Vista Ultimate(and, ohh, look, there's a better Windows out there already).
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:45 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Perhaps because not everyone is willing to buy a Microsoft program that costs about £100 for a game like this(what kind of game would be worth this much anyway). Or was there an alternative I'm not aware of?
Well, I actually used a computer at work for this. I refuse to feed Microsoft for more than I already paid for my Vista Ultimate(and, ohh, look, there's a better Windows out there already).

Are you telling me that OpenOffice - which is free, by the way - doesn't work in Vista Ultimate - which it does, by the way - and so you are complaining instead of searching for free software (which, by the way, you are)?

I find that hard to believe.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

Have you tried Open Office?

Open Office opens Excel documents and just about any other office document. I don't know if Excel opens open office docs though.

If by chance no one knows, Open Office is an Open Source set of programs. It has its faults but it's free and opens most anything.
My Office actually uses it as our office suite.

I actually do have Excel and all of an older version of MS Word Professional. I found it on the side of the road- no kidding.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Have you tried Open Office?

Open Office opens Excel documents and just about any other office document. I don't know if Excel opens open office docs though.

If by chance no one knows, Open Office is an Open Source set of programs. It has its faults but it's free and opens most anything.
My Office actually uses it as our office suite.

I actually do have Excel and all of an older version of MS Word Professional. I found it on the side of the road- no kidding.

Cool. As apparent as it is, I'm not that familiar with software related to work, as I don't work with computers, nor use my computer for work purposes. It would be cool to see that mentioned beforehand(perhaps I missed it), as I did search for something like this, but didn't exactly put much effort into it as I was aware of the software at my workplace's computers.
By the way, previous post wasn't a complaint, as I can access the computers at work anytime I want to(including days off work), without restrictions(except Internet).
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Somewhat surprisingly, I got done with the character pages and set-up quick enough that the tournament start will go off yet tonight. I will delay the start until 1 a.m. EST (a bit less than two hours from now) to allow Bluebeard a chance to get his minigame entry in, but you may see the thread for it posted before that as I may not stay up that late. (Gotta go back to work tomorrow. . .)

Anyway, a request: if a character you have nominated is slated for Groups B-D, please check on the pic you posted for it. Although having the pics and write-ups posted as part of the nomination has definitely streamlined things for me, it would help even more if the pics were tweaked to certain standards - i.e. dimensions between 200 and 400 pixels, the focused character cropped out when in a pic with others (or a lot of empty space), and the pic file available in .jpg format. I had to do a lot of this kind of adjusting, or in some cases even find new pics; only about a third of the pics for Group A characters were usable without alteration.

Kinda new this time around are spoiler warnings on a couple of the character pages, as in some cases what the character is or does cannot be adequately described without delving at least partway into major spoilers. (I'm particularly thinking of Ushio Okazaki here, but she isn't the only one in Group A.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bluebeard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Alright, my entry has been sent. And I'm sure everyone will be glad to know that I only knew about 1/3 of the characters and finished filling out my brackets with a few beers in me so who knows what my thought process was in the final rounds. Although I'm fairly certain I chose the "Easy winner", so I didn't feel I went out on a limb or anything.

I was happy to see Chidori from Koi Kaze in the tournament though. She has been one of my favorite characters, so Round D was a very, very tough selection for me. I look forward to the voting!

Edit: Apparently I was typing this at the same time as Key's post above. Very Happy Thanks for waiting for me!
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, not sure if I got this right.
Adjusted images of November 11 and Reichwein.
Well, I suppose 200 pixels will do just fine, as their facial characteristics are pretty clear.
Justin Bailey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Office 2010 is currently in open beta. You can use it if the spreadsheet uses some Excel function that does not work properly in OOo. I suggest you use the professional version if you use this method, because the home version attempts to live stream functions as you open them.

There's also Gnumeric, a significantly smaller spreadsheet application than the whole OOo package. The corresponding word processor is AbiWord.

Adjusted pictures for:
Roy Fokker
Seitaro Sakaki
Neya
Kokone Takatsu
Peter Spikes

Last edited by Justin Bailey on Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:29 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Hmm, not sure if I got this right.
Adjusted images of November 11 and Reichwein.
Well, I suppose 200 pixels will do just fine, as their facial characteristics are pretty clear.

Yes, in these cases the pics will do fine. For those who are size-adjusting things, a total area of around 90-100k pixels is what I'd consider ideal.

Since Bluebeard has his entry in, the first round will go up as soon as I get my own minigame entry completed and submitted, which should be within the next half-hour. (Heh, heh, executive privilege. . . Twisted Evil )

EDIT: My entry is now submitted, so the first group will go up momentarily. I have a feeling that the top half of Group D is just going to slaughter me, like it did last time. . .
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:21 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
As it stands, that's the lowest participation rate since I've been running the mini-game.

I don't think that's the case, as for the hero tournament, I provided a spreadsheet and a .jpg version of the bracket, and 20 of 22 entries were submitted in spreadsheet form.

Regarding MS Office, dtm already pointed out Open Office, which I myself have been using for over a year since I bought a new computer and discovered that MS limits the number of times you can install their product. If anyone had any problem with the format, they could have posted or sent me a pm or email, but I received none, so I assume access to a spreadsheet program wasn't an issue. Ultimately, we ended up with 17 participants (Spastic Minnow got one in sometime between abunai and bluebeard's, and dtm got his in about 10 minutes before Key's), which is about average.

I'll check on pictures for the characters I nominated later tonight, I'm at school right now.

Also, for the first three weeks of the tournament, don't expect the mini-game results to update before Tuesday evening.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 27