• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Final Fantasy XIII

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Final Fantasy VIII is all about high school and Final Fantasy X is spring break

Lol, that's a pretty amusing way to look at those two games Surprised
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:24 am Reply with quote
From the videos I've watched on FF13, and few things I've heard, I think this review fits Razz
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:02 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Quote:
Final Fantasy VIII is all about high school and Final Fantasy X is spring break

Lol, that's a pretty amusing way to look at those two games Surprised

Let's not forget X-2. Very Happy Slumber party!
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:35 am Reply with quote
This review is significantly more negative then mose. When it comes to long-awaited, hyped games I tend to trust the more negative views.

I still plan on buying this at some point, but the linearity thing really bugs me. I couldn't finish FFX because I got seriously bored of running through straight corridors for hours on end. RPGs- by their very nature slow paced- really need an element of exploration to stop the combat and stat management from getting dull. Linearity is for action games.
Capella

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:47 am Reply with quote
Henry Jones wrote:
That's about as fair a layout of the wonders and stumbles of Final Fantasy XIII as I've seen. Obviously, its faults are a lot more painful to others. I like it, but like someone earlier said, it really was the first Final Fantasy I couldn't play for extended periods.

I'm glad I'm not the only who felt this way. I've had a hard time playing FFXIII for more than a few hours before having to put it down while with previous Final Fantasies like X and XII, I could spend all day playing. I'm not exactly sure why, but I think maybe it is because the first 15-20hrs aren't that interesting or it's because some of the maps are so linear. I know at times, during the beginning I couldn't help but ask myself "Am I there yet?" because it just got tiring. The game just feels so linear during the first 15hrs and it kind of felt like I was having my hand held through it quiet a bit longer than previous games because they don't give you a lot of control or freedom.

Overall, I think this review is fair. I don't know about everyone else but I too felt like the game didn't get good until after 15-20hrs into the game. I personally just can't say it was that enjoyable compared to the second half of the game. If I where to replay it, I rather would skip through the beginning than force myself through it again to get to the good parts. All in all I still like the game, I just don't love it.
kilaria

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:47 am Reply with quote
Unlike the reviewer (and a lot of people here) I did not find the first 15 hours boring. Come on... any great story has a good beginning, middle and ending. The beginning of FFXIII was setting the foundation for the story. You get aquainted very well with the characters, their personalities and backstories. You get a chance to really build a relationship with the characters. I also think that 15 hours was great to get you used to the battle system and paradigms.

I'll tell you what, after that first part of the game the battles are no longer simple. I've played a ton of RPG's, and I've always looked at them as a relatively simple game to play that is very story based. In FFXIII you actually have to strategize a bit, and you can't just snooze through battles. I'm not just talking about boss battles either... I stumbled across plenty of regular battles that killed me or I really had to work hard to win. I haven't finished yet (i'm about 40 hours in) and there was one boss in particular that took me about 8 tries to beat.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion obviously, but I would have rated the game better. I am enjoying it very much. I have no problems sitting and playing for hours at a time (i played for about 10 hours straight Sunday, i'm so bad...) I like all the characters. I like the fast paced battle system, and the story seems solid so far and pretty unique compared to most RPG's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:52 am Reply with quote
I thought Square had learned from reviews of Kingdom Hearts 2 that gamers don't like games with the longest prologue ever. I would love to get this game but I don't have an Xbox360 or a PS3, fortunately by the time I get one this game will not be $60.00.
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:43 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
I thought Square had learned from reviews of Kingdom Hearts 2 that gamers don't like games with the longest prologue ever. I would love to get this game but I don't have an Xbox360 or a PS3, fortunately by the time I get one this game will not be $60.00.

Like Nomura gives two shits what Wada, critics, the press, or fans say about his stuff. He's the poster boy for solipsism.
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't have either system this is on, but my best friend has a PS3 and showed me Shiva's transformation into spoiler[a motorcycle]...pretty sweet...long as hell, but sweet nevertheless...
Zade

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Use more commas in your lists of things and VIII was COLLEGE, not high school :p
mckg1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
For some reason, FF13 seems like an unfinished game. Man, the only RPGs i have enjoyed this gen are Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicles. Thats just sad compared to last gens RPG master pieces(I can think of ten right of top of my head) We need more RPGs.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:24 pm Reply with quote
So... no good???

I'm a pretty serious Final Fantasy fan.

I've finished IV, VII, X, X-2, Tactics, and almost finished V, XII, VIII.

I can't lie and say that I haven't been looking foward to this.

But in the long run, Final Fantasy wasn't that good? That sucks man...
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Zade wrote:
Use more commas in your lists of things and VIII was COLLEGE, not high school :p

First, that comment was metaphorical, not literal, and second, the maturity difference between high school and college isn't really that significant. (Especially in Japan where high school characters don't have visible parents anyway Smile)
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:20 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
mglittlerobin wrote:

Like Nomura gives two shits what Wada, critics, the press, or fans say about his stuff. He's the poster boy for solipsism.

wait, he does care about what some fans say. Specifically the fans that give him a shoulder to cry on and defend him from the mean bullies who dare critique him and advise what sort of things he could improve upon. If Nomura is indeed Square's last hope then we're screwed.
braves

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote
...except that Nomura only did most of the main character designs for this game; and a good portion of the rest of the characters are actually done by Nao Ikeda.

Last edited by braves on Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4