• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kaichō wa Maid-sama! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:44 am Reply with quote
You shouldn't drop something just because it seems to be a genre that you don't like, I have been thinking that this show is doing a good job at appealing to both genders. Yes there has been a bit of what could be along the lines, but you shouldn't feel threatened because it is more feminen then others. Especialy as this series seems to be going along the lines of breaking up the zealot thinking over feministic principals and have a good balance between. Plus you have small amounts of maid fan service. Smile

I thought it was funny how those three thugs have now cleaned up and now become her biggest fans.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:14 am Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
So you, as a girl, like a girly show? Wild. My opinion? Knock yourself out. Enjoy. But don't get all "women's lib" on me just because I have a different opinion on the show than you.

You still haven't told me why you've been calling this show girly all along. I(-san) am really enjoying the show, yet someone comes in, and call a show I(-sama) am watching "girly". That's like calling me a girl, I(-kun) assume. But that's fine because I(-neesan) am a girl anyway.
Anyway, you're welcome to continue with the rants, as ever since DTB I(-chan) have learnt that a thread with no rants equals boring thread, just take a look at Durarara!!'s.

DuskyPredator wrote:
I thought it was funny how those three thugs have now cleaned up and now become her biggest fans.

At first I couldn't believe. They were just in the background, and eventually were re-introduced. It's quite funny though. Hopefully they'll keep jokes like these around for the entire series(not an easy task).
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:28 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:
So you, as a girl, like a girly show? Wild. My opinion? Knock yourself out. Enjoy. But don't get all "women's lib" on me just because I have a different opinion on the show than you.

You still haven't told me why you've been calling this show girly all along. I(-san) am really enjoying the show, yet someone comes in, and call a show I(-sama) am watching "girly". That's like calling me a girl, I(-kun) assume. But that's fine because I(-neesan) am a girl anyway.
Anyway, you're welcome to continue with the rants, as ever since DTB I(-chan) have learnt that a thread with no rants equals boring thread, just take a look at Durarara!!'s.

DuskyPredator wrote:

At first I couldn't believe. They were just in the background, and eventually were re-introduced. It's quite funny though. Hopefully they'll keep jokes like these around for the entire series(not an easy task).

It's a girly show. It's a girly rom-com aimed at girls. It has the feel of a girly manga; something you would find in shojo beat. There's no other way I can say that. It is what it is. I normally don't mind shojo anime, but this time, it's not my thing. Sorry, I was half awake when I gave that previous retort.

And if you're implying I'm thinking you're a girl because you like a shojo anime, I couldn't care less, as my point still stands.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:45 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
It's a girly show. It's a girly rom-com aimed at girls. It has the feel of a girly manga; something you would find in shojo beat. There's no other way I can say that. It is what it is. I normally don't mind shojo anime, but this time, it's not my thing. Sorry, I was half awake when I gave that previous retort.

Yeah, sorry. I completely forgot that romantic comedy anime led by a female is aimed at girls. It's not your thing, and I understand that, after all that's all your former post was about; just to tell us that it's not your thing.
Quote:
And if you're implying I'm thinking you're a girl because you like a shojo anime, I couldn't care less, as my point still stands.

You have yet to make a point, besides the fact that you're calling it a girly anime just because your gut tells you so. But if that's a point, it's quite shallow one.
Either way, as your fort seems impenetrable I'll stop here. Not that I'm doubting your masculinity.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
This show is definitely made with a female audience in mind, but it still makes a (quite successful) effort to include a male audience. Also, it manages to stay purely entertaining without being "cutesy" or "one-sided" in it's themes. It shows a very well balanced and fair gender-battle, showing each side's stance while pointing out the bad in both. There's no "Boys are pigs!" message being thrown around here. Well, okay, Misaki claims that, but this show clearly shows her as being in the wrong. The female lead's design also proves this: she's made to be attractive, yes, but she is not "cute and tiny" nor is she voluptuous, and she is definitely feminine. The lead male as well; a narcissistic lad who enjoys teasing people, not really "ideal." I really don't see how someone can call this "just another girly show" unless they are trying to act "macho."

Anyways, enough of that.
This show is definitely worth sticking with. Ep 2 was a bit too predictable IMO, but at this point in time, that comes with the territory, and they at least executed it well.
Unlike others, I wasn't too happy about those three guys becoming Misaki's biggest fans. Considering their initial reaction to her secret, it didn't make much sense, plus I was hoping that they might stir up some trouble later on down the line. Not going to happen now.
What I thought was great was Usui's "reason." spoiler[I haven't told anyone because I don't want anyone to know about my secret entertainment."] And also, Misaki's "slip up" during the festival was great.
Mister V

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:15 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

"May you live in interesting times" applies to threads, too... at least it remains civil.

I'm pleasantly surprised. I may follow this, as a light desert to the other shows. It's not bad, there are no cringeworthy moments... Yeah, it feels a bit too cliche at times, and it seems to be going through all the usual manoeuvres really fast, but at least it doesn't draw them out. The Battle Cosplay Cafe for Men thing was funneh Razz
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:07 am Reply with quote
I get a kick out of guys who classify shows as "girly". Seems a little closed minded to me and a bit old fashioned in terms of thinking. If you have an itch to call me a feminist or whatever, Dragon-I'm just a dude that likes to think progressively.

I think female leads are as equally interesting as males are, but for some reason there aren't nearly as many of them. Maybe I just need to start looking harder for female leading shows?

For the record, I'm not a girl and I enjoy this show. I also enjoyed Kimi Ni Todoke (about as "girly" as you can get). I do hope that this show doesn't get too repetitive in it's formula and keep it somewhat novel each episode. It's not exactly amazing, but I'll be following this one for sure.

EDIT: Dragon, just for you-I changed my avatar. Thanks for the inspiration.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode two was enjoyable. I liked the guys' theme for their cafe, and I'm impressed at how much work they put into it. I'm also surprised a little by how fast the lead girl is developing. Of course, I'm not complaining. While the antics about her hating men were funny, I don't know how much longer they would have remained that way. As an aside, I think it was funny that a girl who hates/hated men has to fawn over them in a cafe for several hours a week.

Kirkdawg wrote:
EDIT: Dragon, just for you-I changed my avatar. Thanks for the inspiration.

Don't get me started on how mind-blowingly stupid Archer was. Not to mention weak. Just because he's "manly" (yeah, right) does not make up for the fact that he lacks even two brain cells to rub together. If he is what I should be aspiring to become, if he is the pinnacle of manhood, then I'm getting a sex change operation.
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm really happy with the quality of this show. Episode three was just as good as the first two. In fact, I was more impressed with this episode than the last, because Misaki didn't learn some simplistic lesson. She seemed a little more believable to me. Usui also seemed a little more human, meaning we get a sense of what is going on beneath his surface.
Mister V

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:24 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Don't get me started on how mind-blowingly stupid Archer was. Not to mention weak. Just because he's "manly" (yeah, right) does not make up for the fact that he lacks even two brain cells to rub together. If he is what I should be aspiring to become, if he is the pinnacle of manhood, then I'm getting a sex change operation.

To be completely fair to him, he plays a much more important (and relatively well-explained) role in the UBW route, and is quite different in Heaven's Feel, so his anime appearance is more of an afterthought. Tvtropes has a brilliant tl;dr (Editing Works/Abriged Series) entry on the subject Razz

I think I'm starting to hate the OP. One of those cases when it's waaay too annoying - from the first line.
But awww. Misaki has more charm than the K-ON crew combined. I think this show's a keeper.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Wow, nice to see a large number are watching it, but even more surprising that none of you apparently have previously read the manga it's based off of.

As far as I know, I'm the only one in this thread who has, and I'm excited to see the manga turned into an anime, and have an idea of what to expect. The story is basically a lot of tongue in cheek humor with plenty of references to Otaku culture (think Ouran with Renge, and the play on stereotypical generic guy roles). Misaki's boss at the maid cafe is a 30-something year old fujioshi I can't wait to see animated more of. She makes the girls go through themes at the cafe every now and then with themes like little sisters, sentai fighters, magical girls, cross dressing male butlers, etc. These gimmicks play more in the background and rarely are a main focus in the chapter, with the main focus of the plot being Misaki's work as student president, and dealing with Usui's interest in her.

I have to say I'm a bit dissapointed in the animation for the series. It's pretty bland where the manga was energetic and throwing in random fight scenes here and there and all around feels more lively. If I had to pick an animation style that would fit the manga better it'd be what BONES did with Ouran. The spazzy-ness, crazy perspective points, fighting, and breaking down the 4th wall (I'm still waiting to see the Maid-sama anime do this, the manga does it quite often)

I'm hoping we'll see more... expressions and slyness from Usui soon. So far the director seems to just want to make him an emotionless Hayama knock off when in the manga he's rather energetic and smiling a lot.

Oh, look at that, ep 3 downloaded. Off I go to see how they handled the little sister chapter.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I think the third episode has convinced me not to drop the show. It was a lot of fun. Misaki gets better from episode to episode and this one finally really started to let you see her from Usui's view.

Yet, Usui is still the problem for me. I don't like him much, he's got that "troubled pretty boy" atmosphere all over him and I really do not think I'm going to like his half of the dramatic storyline.

The way it's being presented though reminds me a little of how the Kare Kano (manga) plot worked. The first section will be all about the girl's hangups with the guy supporting her, then once she's all sorted out she can help the guy out with his much worse issues.

And possibly, like the Kare Kano anime, we'll never really have to deal with the guy's drama because it's not really written yet in the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Loved ep. 1 & 3; 2 was only ok for me. But so far I really like the characters, and I enjoy the anime enough that I want to buy the manga. Too bad TRSI is out of v. 1 & 2 for their in-stock sale.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I'll agree with majority: episodes 1 & 3 are great while 2 is only OK. Love the comedy and hope romance actually gets some progress. Next episode preview looks good as well (evil loli? YES!). Definitely a keeper.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I think ep 3 has been the best by far. The animation seems to have gotten slightly better, Usui is smiling more (I think he smiled 3 times, ha, I didn't think I was counting), the manager is showing up more, the other characters have more time so you get to know them more, and they're keeping with ending the chapter/episodes with the humor panel at the end involving the idiot trio.

Best of all yet, Aoi-chan's episode is next week. Score!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11