• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kodomo no Jikan.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
Controversy? Hmm, I'll bite. Decided to give the first episode a try (at least since no one seems to take it down from YouTube). I was expecting horrid things, but objectively speaking, there are several things that don't make it nearly as controversial as it sounds, and the main one is the ambiguous age of most anime characters - the characters designs (Rin does not look a lot younger than Taiga, for example) and seiyuu (obviously the same). At least here they don't claim that "she's in fact 21/200/immortal" (a lotion scene in a last season series was more potentially offensive, seriously).
As to foul language - good grief, just go into a school and listen to what language kids use nowadays. In my time we didn't know swearwords at that age, now some of those kids speak like... they'd been born in a really bad neighbourhood. Teasing the teacher with that seems to be, really, quite realistic. Children are cruel, that's pretty much a truism.
t
In short, I think there is other anime that is more worthy of being put under public scrutiny, and so far I find it quite innocent. I'm not a prude, but I think that Kissxsis, for example, is a mindless piece of fanservice for a minor audience with a fetish, while this one tries to show, at least, some kind of depth of relationships and I think actually portrays quite well the hardships of a young teacher.

This is based on ep1 alone. So I was actually wondering if the rest of the show is worth watching. I didn't find it offensive, but then it wasn't hilarious or anything, so I don't know if it's worth my time. As long as things get better (as in, less fanservice and more of solving students' problems - even though the solution to the first problem was sort of easy).

It lays itself out in that first ep. If you didn't feel weirded out by it by all means continue. It's not without its laughs, but its really about character and plot development.
PaniPoni61

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:56 pm Reply with quote
MrV...pretty much what DuskyPred said.

Character development? Oh, you'll get plenty.

Is it going to be all fun & games? Will there be actual, real drama? Keep watching.

I know this is going to sound like a shot in the dark, relatively speaking....but if you're familiar with what Kaede went through in Shuffle!, ummm, yeah, you'll get that too.

Glad to see you are giving it a shot with an open opinion, MrV. Hope you'll let us know as you progress....

.....plus, that'll help keep this thread alive!
Mister V

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, I did post my opinion in the "watching now" thread. Nothing changed, except I'm really, really enjoying Ni Gakki even more. I love the teachers' roles, the interaction between Kuro-chan (who gained levels of cute) and Shirai (who I think is a great character). I still don't like Usa, but that's just because I don't like that character type. And there are definitely some really funny moments here (costumes for Shirai-sensei Laughing ).
Some more risqué fanservice, yes (one particular scene made even me choke on my tea and check the door), but no matter how I look at it, I simply can't see any real sexual context when we're talking about 10-year-olds. If the authors are trying to appeal to a lolicon audience, well, it's understandable (sales, I guess); but on the other hand every scene that contains fanservice is either justified by Rin being a naughty child, or by other means - like that scene in the last episode I mentioned earlier - it is ultimately a touching moment, if very provocative.

I hope they get around to a third season or something. There's certainly room for character development left (Reiji looks like a time-bomb).
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I know which scene you're talking about. It was bizarre, but at the same time, I didn't feel grossed out or disturbed by it. In fact, it was kind of touching.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3