• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kekkaishi Episodes 1-5 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:

You actually have to ask that question?

Because they knew FMA had a fanbase that would come with broadcasting the show. IT's been fairly successful in case you haven't seen the ratings and recently an episode BROKE 400k viewers. That's pretty ****ing impressive for ANIME on adult swim. I think at most, Code Geass only broke like 150k, right? And that was for the first couple episodes, then it was never in the top 3 on saturday night again.

May I ask where exactly you got the rating numbers for these shows? Be nice to see them for my self.

Also where the heck is the dub cast for Kekkaishi? It airs soon and still hasn't been announced yet.

Last edited by Oneeyedjacks on Thu May 13, 2010 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:
So, wait, are the only people actually excited for this show to hit the air the only ones who have read past volume 5 or so of the manga? There's a reason all the manga nuts are excited, it really is one of the best currently running shonen around in years (won't say it's the best one, not for another month at least, but it's up there, believe it or not).

However, it does take it sweet time getting awesome, unlike a lot of other shonen that tend to just jump into it all wild and crazy for the first few episodes then trail off for a while afterwards. Yeah, the first volume of the manga was a bit weak too, but it's like the entire dynamic changes for the better when the first major story arc starts and Gen in introduced, or heck, a bit before that when Masamori is introduced (because Masamori is just awesome). Does it take a little longer to get there than most? Yeah, but until then it's not like you're getting a root canal. Just give it time to get comfortable in its own skin, sheesh.

classicalzawa could not be more correct. Kekkaishi is easily one of the best shonen series out there ... once you give it a chance to get the ball rolling, that is. Its slow-boiler of a start is probably the main reason why this series is so underrated. Patience is virtue, my friends. Especially in the case of Kekkaishi.

So Kekkaishi is another case of "it gets better" later on. I'll have to add to my give it a watch after I determine if I am going through a full bloom anime burnout, or just a English dub burn out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
Also where the heck is the dub cast for Kekkaishi? It airs soon and still hasn't been announced yet.

You're telling me. It is just over two weeks until Kekkaishi's premiere and Viz has still given us nothing regarding its cast? Why?

asimpson2006 wrote:
So Kekkaishi is another case of "it gets better" later on.

"It gets better later" is a problem that plagues many great shonen series. You'd think people would have figured this out by now and have learned to have more patience when it comes to the genre. Apparently not ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:45 pm Reply with quote
[This is not an imageboard. That isn't to say that posting images is forbidden, just that they need some written substance to back them up.~Zalis
Labbes

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:
So, wait, are the only people actually excited for this show to hit the air the only ones who have read past volume 5 or so of the manga? There's a reason all the manga nuts are excited, it really is one of the best currently running shonen around in years (won't say it's the best one, not for another month at least, but it's up there, believe it or not).

However, it does take it sweet time getting awesome, unlike a lot of other shonen that tend to just jump into it all wild and crazy for the first few episodes then trail off for a while afterwards. Yeah, the first volume of the manga was a bit weak too, but it's like the entire dynamic changes for the better when the first major story arc starts and Gen in introduced, or heck, a bit before that when Masamori is introduced (because Masamori is just awesome). Does it take a little longer to get there than most? Yeah, but until then it's not like you're getting a root canal. Just give it time to get comfortable in its own skin, sheesh.

classicalzawa could not be more correct. Kekkaishi is easily one of the best shonen series out there ... once you give it a chance to get the ball rolling, that is. Its slow-boiler of a start is probably the main reason why this series is so underrated. Patience is virtue, my friends. Especially in the case of Kekkaishi.

That said, I highly recommend the anime version of Kekkaishi, but with the caveat that the manga is definitely superior. It would be nice to see more of the series animated though.

Does the show stay faithful to the manga source, or is the TV-end "non-canon"? It's been a while since I watched it, but iirc, there was quite a bit of closure.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:28 am Reply with quote
Classicalzawa, I echo your sentiments here exactly.
Reasons why you should give Kekkashi a chance (IMHO):

1. It's based off a really great shonen manga. Like others have sad, it starts off slow, but as the series goes on the mangaka builds up a wonderful world filled with a well developed, multi-layered plot and interesting characters.

2. Yellow Tanabe stated in her author notes that she was adamant that her female characters not be sidekick/damsel in distress types. Tomine, being older and more disciplined, has an edge that simular heroines do not, and her grandma is straight out awesome.

3. Masamori, Gen, and real consequences to conflict that don't get retconned in the next chapter/episode.

I don't know why I feel Kekkashi is better than other shonen standards, but I look forward to every volume of the manga with a baited breath these days. If the anime is true to its source material, this should be a great show. It'll just take a while.

Does anyone know at which point in the story the anime ended?
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:02 am Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:

You actually have to ask that question?

Because they knew FMA had a fanbase that would come with broadcasting the show. IT's been fairly successful in case you haven't seen the ratings and recently an episode BROKE 400k viewers. That's pretty ****ing impressive for ANIME on adult swim. I think at most, Code Geass only broke like 150k, right? And that was for the first couple episodes, then it was never in the top 3 on saturday night again.

May I ask where exactly you got the rating numbers for these shows? Be nice to see them for my self.

That's going to be the difficult part, as I don't know if AS shows their ratings aside from the 12:30-1:00 am timeslot and... then it's gone forever.

Last weekend, saturday night, they posted their ratings and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, if I remember this CORRECTLY... Came in with 418,000 viewers.

I know for a fact they broke 400k but my memory vaguely remembers the exact amount. If I could link you to a video, I would, but all I have is that significant memory that whilst watching Bleach repeats, being there was nothing else on at the time, I saw that pop up and I was a little wide eyed for a moment.

Still, this is a fact. I know what I saw and... Honestly, I was amazed myself. I truly was not expecting FMA to make such a comeback like it has but... People are apparently giving it the support it needs and deserves and actually watching it. The fact that it's cleared 1/3rd of the usual ratings for the sunday night 11pm timeslot family guy gets is amazing to me.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I got interested in this series primarily because Taku Iwasaki is the music composer. And he's one of my favorite music composers in anime! Maybe even more so than Yoko!!!

Still... considering what people say, I do like slow-starters/slow burners, and I find Soul Eater mostly enjoyable (for those who feel insulted by this comparison, don't), so it seems like this show is definately worth a shot!

My only concern is who'll dub it? Ocean Group or... the same company that does Naruto and Bleach. I forget what it's called...
Personally, I prefer the latter.
And, speaking of dubs, if they do dub Cross Game, they should have Johnny Bosch play Kou Kitamura. I've watched up to episode 40 of Cross Game and... he would pretty much perfect for it...

He could use his Renton Thurston voice for his boy ver. and his regular voice for his teenage ver. But that's just me.
IncompetentOverlord

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Jacut wrote:
John Casey wrote:
It still baffles me as why AS chose this over Soul Eater...

No. Rather, it seems outright retarded... They really are trying to kill off their anime block.

Because Soul Eater is shit and Kekkaishi is the best shonen anime in the decade besides FMA:B ?

Agree 100%.The characters in this series may be fairly standard, but the interesting use of the Barrier Spells as the primary method of attack as opposed to the standard fireball/sword approach was interesting to me. The Tower defense story structure also really drew me in on this one.
Seljuk

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Oneeyedjacks wrote:

You're telling me. It is just over two weeks until Kekkaishi's premiere and Viz has still given us nothing regarding its cast? Why?

asimpson2006 wrote:
So Kekkaishi is another case of "it gets better" later on.

"It gets better later" is a problem that plagues many great shonen series. You'd think people would have figured this out by now and have learned to have more patience when it comes to the genre. Apparently not ...

I mean, I would say that's hit or miss. After re-watching the first 20 or so episodes, Bleach was much better at the start. Black Cat was awesome all the way through. Naruto and Reborn got better later. It really just depends on the series, and your perspective.

Also echoing others who didn't like Soul Eater. The characters were just too....out there. I really don't think it would have gone over well on AS.
Ranma87

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:33 am Reply with quote
I like the manga for this series although I never did get a chance to watch the anime.

I suppose i'll give it a try when it airs on adult swim.

Otaking09 wrote:
My only concern is who'll dub it? Ocean Group or... the same company that does Naruto and Bleach. I forget what it's called...
Personally, I prefer the latter.
And, speaking of dubs, if they do dub Cross Game, they should have Johnny Bosch play Kou Kitamura. I've watched up to episode 40 of Cross Game and... he would pretty much perfect for it...

He could use his Renton Thurston voice for his boy ver. and his regular voice for his teenage ver. But that's just me.
To be honest the fact that they haven't announced the dub cast worries me that it might be an outsourced dub from Odex.
LKK

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:17 am Reply with quote
Several people have said that the manga gets better farther into the story. My question is does the anime reach the manga's "better" point? Or does the anime end beforehand?
yaminokaitou

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Does anyone know at which point in the story the anime ended?
After Yoshimori, Sen and the others return from Kokuborou.

I'm a big fan of Kekkaishi, though I will admit I didn't really get into it until Gen showed up. Still, it was an enjoyable series and I really grew to love the characters. It was great having a strong lead female who didn't have a D cup size or didn't flaunt her chest around. And Yoshi's obsession with cake was hilarious. But what I really liked best was that the characters actually looked Japanese, as oppose to having red or even pink hair. That was a nice change.

I don't have cable TV, so I'm waiting for the DVD release. I'm really looking forward to picking this up.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:07 am Reply with quote
"More discriminating viewers, meanwhile, may find themselves rolling their eyes at the tired old concept of protecting loved ones, defending one's family honor, and fighting to become stronger. (Oh, and baking a legendary cake.) Sure, this action series dishes out some thrilling fight scenes, and there's at least a hint that the story builds up as it goes along. But not everyone can be so patient in waiting for that buildup to come."

Pretty harsh review. Also there is a reason patience is a virtue. I have yet to see the concept of fighting to become stronger or protecting loved ones become cliche to the extent it makes people roll their eyes. Keep in mind I am talking about the concept alone and not the actual implementation.

The first episodes are introductory and just some foundation to the story, which hasn't been touched much at this point.
Baking a cake(lol), let me know how that works out.

Why pick this over Soul Eater? Well not having to worry about Blair and her nakedness compulsion is one reason. Kekkaishi is just a good anime that doesn't resort to fanservice to bring in viewers.
somehowbandai

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:20 pm Reply with quote
That, and AS knows that (a)they don't really care about anime or its fans so why cater to them with Soul Eater, and (b)the show that the internet likes more is not necessarily the more profitable one, because everyone just watches anime online (note their little torrent alert about kekkaishi before B the other night xD)...they've never liked their anime programming all that much and if Kekkaishi will do well enough it's cool, it can hang out with bleach and inuyasha and stuff.

This is our chance to see if [as] really does determine a show's success among those teenage girls in america who are flooding conventions in greater and greater numbers. For once they're picking up a title that isn't such a blockbuster everyone's-seen-it, and I wonder what the results will be.

Any guesses on dub cast? I'm sensing Yoshi may end up being Brad Swaile or something, there's gotta be a heavy-hitter in the cast to counteract the lack of exposure it's been getting on [as], and it's a Viz. Maybe Yuri Lowenthal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3