• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Favorite anime show of 2012?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:17 am Reply with quote
I reserve the right to later go back and change any and all of this list. Since I've spent 6 of the last 15 weeks overseas, non-concurrently, my anime watching schedule has been shot to hell, and I haven't finished a lot of titles I should have. That means no shows from the current season will be listed, although in all fairness, Magi, From the New World, and Suki-tte Ii na yo should have made it, had I been close to finishing them. Also, there were a lot of good shows, B+ to A- range, but nothing really outstanding, which makes rankings like this problematic.

1) Fate/Zero. Gorgeous animation and visuals, amazing voice acting and there is the whole historical battle royale thing going on, which is awesome. But in the finest TYPE-MOON tradition, it is drawn out and filled with dry exposition. In scenes of death and devastion nothing is better, too bad you have to wade through episodes of boring conversations to get to them.

2) Kids on the Slope. The music. I don't even like jazz, and I loved the music. Please sir, may I have some more? Plus the sixties style and the bittersweet romances were fantastically done. It is not as showy as Zero, but it has a quiet beauty to it.

3) Lupin the Third Part 4. Like a Boss. The return to the grittiness Lupin is supposed to have was refreshing, but the whole shaggy dog nature of the plot, while fitting the Lupin style, was disappointing. But there is some eye candy in this show. And bewbs.

4) Another. A clever and smart horror show that left me guessing until the 'Lord of Flies'-esque ending. The problem with this show, as with all similar horror shows of the same vein, is once the mystery is revealed, there is no point in returning to the show. And while the scenes of gratuitous violence were both beautiful and grotesque, there is only so much senseless slaughter I can stomach.

5) Ano Natsu de Matteru. A wonderfully romantic comedy. Perhaps a rip-off of Please Teacher (homage, I believe is the polite term), but overall far superior to the angsty and impotent 2002 drama. And Remon has to be my favorite character of the year. It might not be the best rom-com out there, but its got great heart.
誤称

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:11 am Reply with quote
Jesus Christ, do we really need another "List the popular anime" threads? There's no discussion here. No one is refuting each other. Its just list-masturbation.

Ugh.
kaydub

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:27 am Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
Jesus Christ, do we really need another "List the popular anime" threads? There's no discussion here. No one is refuting each other. Its just list-masturbation.

Ugh.

In that case, I respectfully disagree with your opinion. The OP is interested in what we thought were our favorite anime of the year, and why. There really isn't anything to refute.

I myself listed a few shows that I especially enjoyed but that didn't make the cut as "favorites" (including shows that were considered favorites by others), and listed the reasons why I felt that way. I figured that would be a good way to offer up a little depth and avoid posting "just another list".

If you're so up in arms about the lack of discussion - specifically refuting others' opinions - why don't you provide reasons why you didn't like some of the anime listed instead of just posting empty complaints?
誤称

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:34 am Reply with quote
Because in list threads like this, the lists get posted and abandoned. Its why lists are against teh rules, afterall.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:39 am Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
Because in list threads like this, the lists get posted and abandoned. Its why lists are against teh rules, afterall.

Did you miss Tony K.'s post on the previous page?

You're using the wrong definition of the word "list". You're not allowed to simply write down the names of five titles and call it a day, because that is useless. That is what the rules and Mods do not like. But you are allowed (and indeed encouraged) to make a list and then explain/give the reason for why the titles on your list are actually on your list.

Threads like this one may not engender much discussion, but as long as everyone is justifying their choices then who cares? Not every thread has to have hard-hitting discussion, encouraging users to share their thoughts is important too. Heck, the long-lived "What are you watching right now? Why?" thread is quite popular, even though it is merely asking people a subjective question.
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:27 am Reply with quote
Please don't feed the trolls.
Anyways...In no particular order:
Tari Tari was delightful, cute, and made me chuckle pretty consistently. I sang in choirs all throughout my school life, and have continued to work with music since, so thematically, this show just got me.
I was similarly impressed with Kokoro Connect's story telling chops. When dealing with the supernatural, you don't want your wacky premise to create tension; rather, your unnatural scenario should exacerbate tensions that already exist. Kokoro Connect did this beautifully, and I can't wait for the next season.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:15 am Reply with quote
誤称--

I agree with kaydub and dtm42; and if I may add a thought of my own, I would like to say that I dislike debate merely for the sake of debate -- that is just too argumentative for my taste. I hope that this posting has not offended you; if it has, indeed, offended you, then I apologize.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:23 am Reply with quote
List threads are allowed so long as the listing includes reasons and content to discuss. Just listing titles and nothing more is what violates the rules. While I do understand partially where 誤称 is coming from since in these threads people seem to rarely discuss other peoples lists or opinions but you just see list after list posted which sometimes makes it seem like people just use the threads as list repositories and don't actually read peoples lists.

That aside however, lists of this nature do not break the rules and are allowed so long as there isn't already one of this nature in place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
誤称

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:05 am Reply with quote
No worries nbahn. The habit of anime fans to break down discussion to mere lists is a pet peeve of mine. We do it all the time!

And thanks for the clarification Keonyn. I do appreciate moderators. Very Happy
drdr48

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I would say either the new Lupin III TV series or Polar Bear Cafe.

And the reason I would say that is largely because those are the only anime I watched from this year. Laughing

Still good, though.

(Actually, I watched a few episodes of Bodacious Space Pirates, but it's best forgotten.)

You should watch Fate/Zero, I have a feeling you would like it...
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I really couldn't say.

Right now, Blast of Tempest is making a real strong case for this title but I really couldn't say for sure until I see the rest.

Psycho-Pass has also been pretty good, especially lately, but it would be massively premature to call it my favourite. This show has a few warts (namely, sporadically sloppy writing) as well.

Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine was also enjoyable and just wonderfully avant garde but pretty inconsistent too. There are some really great episodes but some poor ones as well.

Fate/Zero was also an enjoyable show but I was definitely disappointed in the end. The show never quite manages to build any momentum and kinda fizzles out, especially in terms of Saber and Archer. I realize that this is partially because it is a prequel but that doesn't really make it any less unsatisfying.

In the end, Kids on the Slope seems like it might be the best candidate but I haven't seen it yet. I'm waiting for the dubbed BD.
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched a lot of 2012 series but I do have some favorites from this year.

#1: Natsume's Book of Friends Season 4- an excellent addition to the franchise. This calm and warm series made me laugh and cry and keeps me wanting more! My only complaint: need to know more about Reiko!!!

#2: Another- a very creepy show with a very interesting mystery and intriguing reasons for why things happen the way they do. I wasn't able to predict who was the "culprit" at all and was kept guessing the entire show.

#3: Tsuritama- As others have said, this series was pure fun. I loved all the bright and chipper colors. I didn't expect a show about fishing to be this wacky and entertaining, but they combined mind control, random dancing, aliens and fishing and somehow made it all work.

#4: Dusk Maiden of Amnesia- Surprisingly heartfelt and very well executed. The fanservice was tasteful and the main male character wasn't a complete cardboard cutout. But the show isn't about him. Yuko is charming, but starts out pretty one-dimensional. So it is all the more rewarding to see her slowly grow out of that and discover the reasons why she became that way. She's hilarious half the time, and the other half you can't help but sympathize with her. Gah, if it only wasn't for those last 5 minutes of the last episode...

#5: Waiting in the Summer (Ano Natsu de Matteru)- I'm not a fan of series who's sole focus is the romance, but this one was pretty good. It made a very similar extremely annoying mistake as Dusk Maiden at the end though >=(.

Honorable Mention:
Inu X Boku Secret Service- for its surprisingly good ending. The ending explained most of my biggest complaints, but wasn't able to completely make up for its flaws.
Moyashimon Returns- quirky and fun, but not quite as good as its first season. The main character has the power to see microbes, and funnily enough, for the most part it is not a very useful power. He uses it for fun and messing around more than anything else.

Wow, a lot of people are really liked Fate/Zero (no surprise) and Kids on the Slope. I've got to get on watching those.
rheiders

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote
This year was pretty good for me^^ There weren't a lot of series that I watched, but the ones I did follow all the way through I really loved.

1. Kids on the Slope What can I say that hasn't been said before? Beautiful story of friendship with some top-notch animation, great direction, and amazing music. In general, I'm a fan of josei, so that helps too^^

2. tsuritama Kenji Nakamura is one of my favorite anime directors, and I was glad to see him back to form after the disappointing mediocrity that was [C]. It was interesting to see his unique style applied to a comedy, and it worked out really well. A quirky story about fish and friendship with great art and a lot of heart. (I'm a poet and I did not know it, etc...)

3. Space Brothers I'm really behind on this one, which is weird because I love the hell out of it. I'm a fan of anything about astronauts; I love that subject matter. The characters are fantastic, especially Mutta, and I love the passion behind it.

4. My Little Monster I'm a shoujo nut, too! Very Happy This series is really sweet and the characters are really likeable. It has a lot of energy. I like the themes of friendship and overcoming loneliness.

5. Kamisama Kiss At least as far as enjoyment factor goes...This series couldn't be called more than "decent", but it's incredibly consistent in its quality and I really like the characters. Tomoe and Nanami's "will they or won't they" dynamic doesn't come across as tired to me, and every episode gets at least a couple good laughs out of me. I also rather like Julietta Suzuki's character designs^^

Honorable Mentions:
Polar Bear Café Adorable and consistently funny with likeable characters, but some of the jokes get old after a while.
Chihayafuru Loved it so much, but technically a 2011 series.
Hunter x Hunter Still loving it, and the source material is my favorite shounen tourney manga, but again, technically a 2011 series.
Daily Lives of High School Boys Surprisingly hilarious, but I haven't finished it yet.
Natsume's Book of Friends 4 Ditto the above. Haven't finished it yet, but I'm sure it would rank in the top three if I had.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:11 am Reply with quote
I'm going to break it down by season since I can't for the life of me rank them in any particular order

Winter
I don't remember particularly liking anything in winter, I watched Brave 10, which was very crappy but faservicey, and InuxBoku SS, which was cute but a bit creepy. I also watched Black Rock Shooter which had beautiful animation but the content was mediocre at best, Another, which bored the shit out of me and Nisemonogatari, which had great visuals, but was too fanservicey compared to Bakemonogatari and not what I expected. None of them would go into my favorites for this year

Spring

Fate/Zero S2. Amazing animation, even if some character development flopped compared to season 1 and spoiler[the final Gilgamesh x Rider showdown was a disappointment,] the overall experience was fantastic.

Sankarea. Adorable to the max. The art was beautiful and Rea was a lovely character. The story was very sweet with its dose of creepy realism. I hope there's more of it.

Saint Seiya Omega. Yes, I'm probably one of the three persons in the world who likes the show. It's crap. I don't care. It's a fantastic homage to the original, even if the clothes are made of plastic, and even if the Gold Saints are gay sociopaths who decide to rant about their pasts in the middle of the fight. I don't care, I just love it. It's irrational subconscious love.

Shirokuma Cafe. I love this show. It's incredibly cute, with a wide variety of humor that I can never get enough of. I love Polar Bear being an ass and very kind at the same time. It just makes me happy.

Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine. Amazing artwork, with amazing and hilarious characters. The design had me glued to the screen every minute. And how every thread connects to a fantastic finale was brilliantly executed. Bonus points for the episode on the Cuban Revolution, I couldn't stop laughing at the ridiculousness.

Summer

Binbougami Ga! Very fun, very clever, very selfconscious and never taking itself too seriously. This show always knew what is was about and what it was trying to accomplish, they always joked about themselves and the media, yet it contained a sweet message of sharing and caring for others.

Choyaku Hyakunin Isshu: Uta Koi. This show used to brighten my week with its sweet nostalgia and melancholy. Even if it always had sad undertones, it showed a poetic view towards life, nature, other people and love.

Fall

Psycho Pass. My absolute favorite this season, I love the thrill, the intricatedly dark world in which it's set up, the deep social and political undertones, and I'm always wanting more

Magi. This one is so full of life, adventure, optimism and happiness I can never get enough of it. And I really like how it also touches the double morals of society, how the royals live in splendour while their people rot away, and our heroes try to solve the situation. It's innocent yet it brings home some real life issues that we tend to forget.

Bakuman 3. I'm a fan of the manga, and I've always been amazed at how great it has translated into anime. Though I haven't liked this season as much as others because it's been a bit too focused on Mashiro and Takagi, I know we'll get to see more from the other mangakas soon. It's still a beautiful show about manga and passion, perseverance, friendship and dreams, and I always like it.

Honorable Mentions

Tsuritama, because it had beautiful animation and a very cute and original story about fishing and frienship in spite of the weirdness of it

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia, because it was very sweet, tasteful and had a beautiful development of the relationship between Yuuko and Teiichi

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita, its dark humor was fantastic, but it was always hit or miss with its arcs (i.e. spoiler[Time Repetition] one, total miss;spoiler[ Fairy Island,] home run hit). Bonus points because the fairies were adorably creepy.

I really need to get around and watch Sakamichi no Apollon. Why is life so busy?
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:34 am Reply with quote
In this list I didn't put any of animes from fall.And here it goes:
1)Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine-An incredibly smart reinvention Lupin III.Filled with crazy energy,allegory,movie homages and with Gothic artwork from Takeshi Koike,that all serve to point out the position of women in different layers of society.Also this series had quite possibly one the best scores in the history of anime.The animation was incredibly bad though.
2) Fate/ Zero 2-The show was quite an addictig and thrilling ride.It featured well written characters,amazing animation and soundtrack and superbly directed action scenes.But the fight between Ixandar and Gilgamesh was quite anti-climactic.
3) Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita -This is perhaps the most insane anime that came out this year.It is cynical satire of modern world mixed with quirky and cute artwork.How can I not love this?Too bad that the first episode was the best.
4)Kids on the Slope -WIith this I think Shinichiro Watanbe has proven himself to be one the best directors. I liked the music,characters and this is one of the small amount of series that made me stand up and cheer during a musical performance.The show had numerous problems though(the amount of cliches)but I forgive it all.
5)Natsuyuki rendezvous-I am one three persons who thinks this show is great but I dont really care.this is such powerful demonstration of what it feels like to loose a person you loved.It had good dialogue,some nice soft jazzy music and realistic characters.Some of the episodes dragged a bit but when it gets to the good stuff it is brilliant. [/quote]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3