• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Band of Brothers [2010-06-28]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:54 am Reply with quote
I have been watching FMA: Brotherhood for quite some time and I must say that I like it VERY much. So much that I was comfortable enough to sell all of my first FMA collection (movie included).

First of all, I think that the FMA manga is one of the better manga that I have ever read. Imagine my disappointment when I saw how the original anime diverged from the manga. So, upon hearing about the new FMA series, I was equally excited and concerned. I was initially concerned because I thought that it was just going to be a continuation from the first series. Then I became excited because I saw that it was a re-telling that would follow the manga more closely. At that time, my "old" FMA became obsolete and was put on ebay with great haste...
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:05 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
She's not really bashing those sort of people, just saying their "standards" (though YMMV on where the line between different standards and simply different tastes lies) are probably lower. And really, you should always be proud of your collection considering it shows how much you've supported the industry. Even if a bunch of the ANN staff came to your house and saw your collection, I doubt they would say anything too negative since they all strongly push the "support the industry" argument. Only if you had done something genuinely stupid, like push yourself into debt by buying too much at once, would some well-earned criticism be coming your way.

Thanks for the point of clarification, doc.
I was a little taken aback by the way her comment came across, too. But now I don't feel upset.

As for Brotherhood, I'm still pretty torn; on the one hand I'm very turned off by the almost constant joke-spewing, even in serious situations, but on the other hand it's still a deliciously animated BONES work, still has one of the most well-suited VA casts I've ever heard, and as the manga has told me: it gets better.

I have trouble with the jokes too. The first series certainly had a number of them, but I feel like it did a better job of backing off in the right places. I've had an easier time lately now that the epsiodes on TV have moved into new territory, so I'm not either thinking, "no I liked the other way better", or "wow they just blew throught that." I still have some hang-ups since the first one is my favorite series ever, but I'm at least able to give this a shot. And I barely notice Al's different voice. Maybe once an episode I'll remember it is someone else, and the rest of the time I don't think about it.

I think I'd have a whole lot easier time with Brotherhood overall if people didn't all of a sudden act like the first one was bad. I'm totally fine with people preferring this new one, but the first one was the darling of the anime industry when it came out. Obviously, the popularity of the manga was a factor, but I doubt if we'd see a second series out within a few years if the first didn't do something right. I suppose I have issues with peolple letting a desire for faithfulness keep them from admitting when an adaptation was good. I can go on and on about how Batman Begins and the Dark Knight changed things about Batman, but at least I'll admit those were good movies.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:08 am Reply with quote
Hmm... maybe some day I'll get around to watching Brotherhood, but I don't have much desire to now. I'm quite satisfied with the first series (loved it)... and some of the complaints I've heard about Brotherhood seem to be the exact stuff that would turn me off. I've read a small portion of the manga, but nothing about it really gripped me either... I'll probably try again later, but for now I have other stuff I want to watch more.

And I haven't really been interested in Soul Eater, but this review has perked my interest. I shall put it down on my list of "Want to Sample" for the future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hardgear

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I only watched a few scattered episodes of the first FMA series and have never read the manga, and I am having no trouble at all following and enjoying Brotherhood. I'll show it to my mom (who I KNOW hasn't seen it in any form and doesn't even know what it is) and see what she says though Very Happy
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Fanservice- The ONLY thing keeping Soul Eater off of Adult Swim. Thanks Kim!

...Idiot.

Nope. Far from it cause though CG was partly a mecha , it definately had fanservice for some of it's epsiodes.Really dont know why cause though Kekakishi is a good series,i'd prefer soul eater over it.

Erin Finnegan wrote:
Kenichi's dub is slightly better than Soul Eater's formidable dub, which sounds Cartoon Network-ready. Why isn't Soul Eater on Cartoon Network? Is it the brief nudity? Is it because Death the Kid shoots someone in the face in this season?

Well I think both dubs are solid enough. However I am also wondering that too cause why Both Kenichi and Soul Eater isn't on CN as well???

would be good thing for Adult Swim until New Bleach eps shows. What's you opinion take on why Kenichi and SE ain't on AS???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JGonspy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:51 pm Reply with quote
It's been a while since I saw the first FMA series, but I enjoyed most of it (the ending lost me), and I've been reading the manga for a while. I just started watching Brotherhood and I can't help but think the first few episodes were poorly paced. The first two in particular almost had me turned off the series completely.

I'm glad I stuck with it as it feels like it's getting closer to where I'd like it to be with each episode, but I'm trying to stay cautiously optimistic. It almost feels like I'm paying my dues before it gets to the new stuff not in the first series.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

...Idiot.

Nope. Far from it cause though CG was partly a mecha , it definately had fanservice for some of it's epsiodes.Really don't know why cause though Kekakishi is a good series,i'd prefer soul eater over it.

Erin Finnegan wrote:
Kenichi's dub is slightly better than Soul Eater's formidable dub, which sounds Cartoon Network-ready. Why isn't Soul Eater on Cartoon Network? Is it the brief nudity? Is it because Death the Kid shoots someone in the face in this season?

Well I think both dubs are solid enough. However I am also wondering that too cause why Both Kenichi and Soul Eater isn't on CN as well???

would be good thing for Adult Swim until New Bleach eps shows. What's you opinion take on why Kenichi and SE ain't on AS???

I couldn't say about why they aren't on AS considering they have Kekkaishi which , to me, means that something like Soul Eater or Kenichi would be acceptable to them. In fact, I'd have thought that either of those shows would be a better fit than Kekkaishi. As for CN, I'd say it's because they don't seem at all interested in such shows. They didn't pick up Shippuuden or Kai, so I think they've lost interest in decent shonen.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Well if that's all it is, Soul Eater should be allowed a block on Adult Swim. They could just bump off Cowboy Bebop or Ghost in the Shell since those have been shown over and over again.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I bet they probably just could not afford to license Soul Eater. Though we are all just speculating, unless anyone here works at Adult Swim and is allowed to tell us we will never know.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

...Idiot.

Kim... Manning?

Now that I think about it, I've realized Soul Eater probably isn't on Adult Swim because of the money. Always follow the money! (Like on The Wire.) Perhaps Kekkaishi was that much cheaper. Must be the money!

brand wrote:
Erin, everyone I know that applied to run a panel at Otakon, including myself, got wait listed. Which is like three people but I don't take that as the greatest sign as all of us have run panels at Otakon for the last several years.

Some of my friends got accepted already. I just have this long standing thing where in five years of applying for Otakon panels, I've only had one get accepted, and I was essentially moderating someone else's panel.

doctordoom85 wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:
Quote:
I know a lot of people who read this column just buy whatever comes out if it's halfway decent. (I've seen the pictures of your shelves!)

...Ouch. There goes any incentive I had to send in my photos, Jeez. Confused

She's not really bashing those sort of people, just saying their "standards" (though YMMV on where the line between different standards and simply different tastes lies) are probably lower.

Whoa whoa! That's not quite what I meant, exactly. I mean, if I owned a huge house with a rocking attic and I had a sweet disposable income, my collection might be a lot bigger, too! I know I'd own a lot more books... and I'd have a walk-in closet, AND a linen closet. (Or ANY closet, right now I just have an Ikea wardrobe thingy.)

TatsuGero23 wrote:
And its nice to see Erin being a bit more personal with the shelf obsessed comments. Although it is just one sentence again... I'd like a bit more but better then the cut and paste comments we saw for a while.

Bamboo is still picking the photos and writing those comments.

kpk wrote:
Quote:
Characters that only turned up in the second half of the original turn up early on in Brotherhood. Sheska (the girl with a photographic memory) gets a lot of screen time and Ed and Al's dad makes more than one appearance.

Wha..?

Can you be a little more specific?

Charred Knight wrote:
Amestris is not an alternate universe version of Germany. especially pre-World War I. While Hiromu Arakawa did base the countries off of real life countries (Drachma and Russia, Xing and China) Amestris was based off of England and the geography doesn't match anywhere on Earth. You're thinking about the first series when you said this.

Thank you! That explains a lot!!

JGonspy wrote:
I just started watching Brotherhood and I can't help but think the first few episodes were poorly paced. The first two in particular almost had me turned off the series completely.

I had forgotten about that - my husband and I watched the first two episodes and then stopped because we were discouraged, too.

Hardgear wrote:
I'll show it to my mom (who I KNOW hasn't seen it in any form and doesn't even know what it is) and see what she says though Very Happy

LOL, I want to know what your mom thinks of it!

Jaymie wrote:
And Hohenheim doesn't actually make his first appearance until Episode 19, which is on the second set. He did appear a lot in the first opening though.

He was totally in Ed's dream/flashback thing in this set. Like we saw his face, maybe twice, and I was really surprised since I didn't remember seeing his face for quite some time in the first series.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:21 pm Reply with quote
[quote="erinfinnegan]
JGonspy wrote:
I just started watching Brotherhood and I can't help but think the first few episodes were poorly paced. The first two in particular almost had me turned off the series completely.

I had forgotten about that - my husband and I watched the first two episodes and then stopped because we were discouraged, too.

[/quote]

I actually laughed pretty hard when I saw the first episode of Brotherhood because people were so excited about following the manga and automatically assuming that it would be better, and then they open with something completely made up for the TV show.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:45 pm Reply with quote
That's the one thing that did bug me about Brotherhood, the first episode is Filler, and it didn't need to be, they could have just put episode 3 there instead, like it should have been, or they could have started with episode 2.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
erinf wrote:
Daryl Surat continues to receive more hate mail from his Otaku USA feature on Fullmetal Alchemist than on anything else he's ever written for the magazine. And it's not because he didn't like the show, but because he didn't love it enough. He opened with a line like, "This isn't the greatest show ever made, but…" The hate mail, akin to children's letters to Santa in Miracle on 34th Street, argues that it is the greatest TV show ever.

It's actually even better than that. The statement that has gotten me more hate mail than anything I have ever written was my saying that the constant jokes about Ed being short get really old, really fast. But despite that, I stated Fullmetal Alchemist was still the top show of the decade. That just WASN'T GOOD ENOUGH for a sizable amount of people. In fact, due to the compressed nature of Brotherhood, those "Ed is short, and Al is the younger brother!" jokes are even MORE frequent. I think I counted 7 or 8 in a single episode. Fortunately, in both the original and Brotherhood, they ease up on that. Relatively speaking.

I attributed the response to people who didn't actually need to read my article at all. For that crowd, their minds were already made up, and so anything short of repeating back to them their own viewpoints for validation--which as ANNCast points out, is the next best thing to orgasm--was going to result in that sort of reaction. This is of course the nature of reviewing anime: you either get a bunch of contrary responses from people who've seen the thing you're talking about and made up their minds, or very few responses because you're talking about something nobody's heard of.

Then again, this IS the Shelf Life feedback thread. You know of this all too well!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Brotherhood isn't really comparable to Dragon Ball Kai because Kai is little more than a glorified clip show with little bits of new art here and there, and cut a certain way so it resembles the manga slightly closer. Minimal effort was put into it. Brotherhood is a completely new series based on the original manga's story, with all new animation.

The beginning is similar to the first series because the first series used a lot of the manga's material before going off on its own (it had to because it quickly caught up with it). It couldn't have started where the first series deviated because the first series had differences even in the beginning that wouldn't have gelled with the manga material.

Any other argument in this thread, over whether the first or second series is superior, is irrelevant to the subject at hand.

But for the record, I like the first series and the new one just as much. Which is to say, a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes the original FMA as much as I like FMA:B. There are even parts and aspects of the original show that I like more than the retake (shocking, I know)! I *loved* the end, for example (the movie, not as much). I go into it in detail in the spoiler-icious "FMA 108-The End" thread in the Manga forum.

But FMA fandom in general is very protective of it's favorite property. I think the funniest thing I noticed was the fan reaction that Aaron Dismuke wouldn't be able to reprise his role as Al--as if Funi should've castrated him or something (poor kid).Anime hyper

Maxey Whitehead is doing a fantastic job, and Aaron Dismuke can go back into Dub acting if he likes-based on his performance in Ouran, he's still got the stuff!

I'm also scratching my head as to why Soul Eater isn't on [as], based on it's buzz and fan loyalty quotient, it has a lot more going for it than Kekkaishi (and I really like the Kekkaishi manga). Well, this review makes me want to check out SE, anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6