• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bandai Entertainment Industry Panel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TakishidoKamen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:56 am Reply with quote
If Bandai wants to sale more DVD's they need to stop with the R2 Japan prices on all their releases.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:17 am Reply with quote
TakishidoKamen wrote:
If Bandai wants to sale more DVD's they need to stop with the R2 Japan prices on all their releases.
Nice job proving you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

To prove your complete ignorance I'll take a look at how much it would cost you to buy K-ON! on DVD in Japan. Each volume will run you around 5460 yen MSRP ($62). There are 7 volumes, which would be 38220 yen ($434)

It's likely that Bandai will sell K-ON! for $64.99 MSRP, the same as Haruhi S2. In other words, the entire series can be had for the same MSRP price as one volume in Japan that contains only 2 episodes.

So shut up.

Last edited by Megiddo on Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:18 am; edited 1 time in total
John Casey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:18 am Reply with quote
Not exactly the world's greatest start...
TakishidoKamen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:25 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
TakishidoKamen wrote:

To prove your complete ignorance I'll take a look at how much it would cost you to buy K-ON! on DVD in Japan. Each volume will run you around 5460 yen MSRP ($62). There are 7 volumes, which would be 38220 yen ($434)

It's likely that Bandai will sell K-ON! for $64.99 MSRP, the same as Haruhi S2. In other words, the entire series can be had for the same MSRP price as one volume in Japan that contains only 2 episodes.

So shut up.
What does Funimation retail a 13 episode series for?

Usually $29.99-$39.99

26 episode series = $49.99
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:38 am Reply with quote
TakishidoKamen wrote:

Usually $29.99-$39.99

That's off, retail is 49.99 for 13 episodes,
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:40 am Reply with quote
TakishidoKamen wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
TakishidoKamen wrote:

So shut up.

Usually $29.99-$39.99

Let's take a look at the MSRP of some recent FUNimation 13 episodes sets, shall we?

Soul Eater DVD Part 1 - $59.99
Tower of Druaga: Aegis of Uruk - $59.99
Slayers Revolution - $59.99
My Bride is a Mermaid Part 1 - $49.99
Shikabane-hime Part 1 (preorder) - $59.99
Eden of the East (preorder) - $54.99

Not too different, eh?
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:46 am Reply with quote
TakishidoKamen wrote:

Usually $29.99-$39.99

No. You claimed that Bandai sells for the same price as R2 products, and that was absolutely wrong. Now you'll use Funimation's price as a scapegoat?
Do you really believe Funimation could license K-ON!, dub it and sell it for $39, and still make a profit? Did you check out how much Toradora! costs even without a dub? That's not Bandai, btw.
If you don't like it and haven't seen it, don't buy it. You wouldn't even if it was cheaper anyway. Just stop with this abomination of an excuse. "Bah, too expensive. Bah, no dub." Bah, you wouldn't buy even if it was 50% off RP and with dub. Bah, I'm totally willing to pay whatever price Beez asks for K-ON!

I'm glad it was licensed by Bandai. Ever since Funimation and Rev Films stopped working together I haven't felt happy at all whenever they got something new. And Manga claims that sub-licenses aren't always cheaper than getting it directly... but on the other hand Beez is doing well with Bandai titles.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:20 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
TakishidoKamen wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
TakishidoKamen wrote:

So shut up.

Usually $29.99-$39.99

Let's take a look at the MSRP of some recent FUNimation 13 episodes sets, shall we?

Soul Eater DVD Part 1 - $59.99
Tower of Druaga: Aegis of Uruk - $59.99
Slayers Revolution - $59.99
My Bride is a Mermaid Part 1 - $49.99
Shikabane-hime Part 1 (preorder) - $59.99
Eden of the East (preorder) - $54.99

Not too different, eh?

What's Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Part One? I bought it for $43 (three days early, no less), but I bet its MSRP is closer to $50.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:21 am Reply with quote
Brotherhood Part 1 on DVD has MSRP of $49.99
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:37 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Brotherhood Part 1 on DVD has MSRP of $49.99

Ah, thanks! That's what I figured. Looks like I got it for $7 less, and got Vic and Travis to autograph it to boot!

But anyway, there are 3 things that I find surprising about this announcement:
1. No Gundam 00 movie announcement? Guess it was overshadowed by UC. I wasn't expecting much, only for Bandai to mention whether or not they've got the Ocean dub crew on that. Wasn't it also supposed to be a simultaneous release?
2. Wow, mentioning the Gurren Lagann movie would be autographed by the seiyuu of Kamina. That's gotta be a slap in the face to Kyle Hebert, who voiced the English Kamina...and was also there.
3. KON!!
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:27 am Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
3. K-ON!!
Fixed, lol.

So, they're releasing Gundam 00 on Blu-Ray, but they're pulling a Kurokami and making it a dub-only release. Way to lose another sale, Bandai. Though, you did earn one with the K-ON! news. Though, if you release that dub-only on BD as well... shakes fist in the air
TakishidoKamen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:33 am Reply with quote
No one seems to have any love for Gurren Lagann's English dub, I didn't even watch the Japanese track personally.

I won't be getting the movies unless they release hybrid sets down the road, hopefully it will follow the same trend as the TV series.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:57 am Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:

2. Wow, mentioning the Gurren Lagann movie would be autographed by the seiyuu of Kamina. That's gotta be a slap in the face to Kyle Hebert, who voiced the English Kamina...and was also there.

Lolz, never thought about that. xD.

TakishidoKamen wrote:
No one seems to have any love for Gurren Lagann's English dub, I didn't even watch the Japanese track personally.

I won't be getting the movies unless they release hybrid sets down the road, hopefully it will follow the same trend as the TV series.
Wow. After you made a totally mislead statement, got RAWR'd at, attempted a failing scapegoat, and got RAWR'd at more, you decide to just let it all go instead of childishly continuing to argue. Don't see that too often on the internet--you've earned my respect. Surprised

Last edited by Sanosuke_Inara on Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:01 am Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
And did someone ask why the Haruhi season 2 set, which contains the lamentable "Endless Eight" rerun arc, costs a full $65?

Yesterday, I was at TRSI putting in a new order and saw this was listed. I added it to my Save for later list. It's going to be a very long time before this gets purchased.

I know people think $65 is "cheap", but I haven't even purchased an older series for less titled Claymore. Then there's The Third at $39.99.

I'm treating this system exactly as I do video games: wait. I can afford to do so, but they can't. Every decision this industry makes relies on those who can't wait.

I wonder how this benefits anyone, honestly. Does Bandai really believe people will pay this amount? I'm sure some will, but most probably wouldn't.

This price point sure looks to help my prediction (#2) much more likely to come true.

Oh well. Nothing I can do about it but sit back and wait for a price drop to hit about... $29.99, which is what I paid for the first series.
_V_

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:29 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
_V_ wrote:
I thought the days of "Bandai Visual" charging Japan-prices for things we knew were bad, were OVER?!

That's nowhere near Honneamise pricing.

Gundam Unicorn is as close as it gets to that right now.

Hyperbole like this that ignores actual history is why we have so many weak justifications for not ever buying anything floating around.

Well, Gundam Unicorn may be pricey, but in that case I think you get what you pay for; an amazing series with good plot and great visuals that warrant being seen on Blu-ray.

...and that BV Honneamise release didn't even include the Hideaki Anno audio commentary track, did it?!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3