• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bandai Entertainment Industry Panel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:01 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
_V_ wrote:
And did someone ask why the Haruhi season 2 set, which contains the lamentable "Endless Eight" rerun arc, costs a full $65?

Yesterday, I was at TRSI putting in a new order and saw this was listed. I added it to my Save for later list. It's going to be a very long time before this gets purchased.

I know people think $65 is "cheap", but I haven't even purchased an older series for less titled Claymore. Then there's The Third at $39.99.

I'm treating this system exactly as I do video games: wait. I can afford to do so, but they can't. Every decision this industry makes relies on those who can't wait.

I wonder how this benefits anyone, honestly. Does Bandai really believe people will pay this amount? I'm sure some will, but most probably wouldn't.

This price point sure looks to help my prediction (#2) much more likely to come true.

Oh well. Nothing I can do about it but sit back and wait for a price drop to hit about... $29.99, which is what I paid for the first series.

The problem with waiting too long is that it also sends the signal that whatever you're waiting on isn't popular enough for them to bother with. Look at Big Windup. Enough people waited for the price to come down that Funi couldn't justify licensing the second season. It's the same with video games. The first few months are absolutely crucial with those because the game companies know that if something doesn't sell well enough initially, it's probably not going to matter what price it goes to because people aren't interested. A sequel to a video game hinges on those first months and not on those that wait.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:09 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
So, they're releasing Gundam 00 on Blu-Ray, but they're pulling a Kurokami and making it a dub-only release. Way to lose another sale, Bandai.

What are you talking about? The article never mentioned Gundam 00 coming out on Blu-Ray. And even if it were dub-only, it'd be the Japanese companies' fault, not Bandai's.
NeoBasch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:11 am Reply with quote
I picked up my copy of FMA Brotherhood on Blu-Ray at Best Buy last week for $25. What a steal! I was trying to save some money so I could pick up the last copy of Gankutsou on DVD, but when I got there they sold their last copy. Sad So I settled for FMA.

I'm actually loving Funimation and Bandai's new pricing strategies. I just picked up the whole series of X for $40. That's 26 episodes right there. Last Exile is going for the same price. Bandai's Wolf's Rain is sitting at a tempting $35. Nice prices for anybody wanting to pick up some older releases.

I hope neither or go under. They've been trying so hard.
captainbanana

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:16 am Reply with quote
As usual, the wrong Gundam movies are coming out. There has to be just as big of a potential customer base for F91 and CCA on Blu-Ray as there is for the (IMO) awful Zeta movies (on DVD for 50+ dollars no less), so it puzzles me why they'd put them out first. I know that they'll wait until every last Japanese cent is spent before they'll release Zeta Gundam on Blu-Ray here, but there can't be any risk of reverse importation for CCA and F91 anymore.

Also, they still aren't coming out with a Mobile Suit Gundam (original) anime legends box? Ten years later and there is no way to watch first Gundam in Japanese with English subtitles (legally anyway)? The movies notwithstanding (which I do own), I'd much rather have a first gundam boxed set than most of what Bandai is going to put out.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see Right Stuf is doing the full series re-release of SuperGals as well as releasing the original Dirty Pair TV series on DVD in the next year.

The other companies --- not so much to look forward to.

I'm sure Sentai will get the quirky stuff that I like. That was a big part of the reason I was an ADV fan for a long time... I can live without dubs to be honest. There's just no consistency from any company on the lower side of Disney where anime is concerned. Nobody besides Disney can afford the best voice talent in LA!

As for the rest of the companies, I don't know the shows they're licensing, and frankly I don't know what they're doing right now!

I would hope the quality of Funimation's DVD and BD offerings would improve but apparently quality control is still an issue. Ditto for Bandai on the DVD side as well.

Viz --- I've about given up on them. I'm not in their target demographic and frankly I don't like the Shonen Jump action titles much. It's all emo-teen shows or something tied into the latest kiddie craze. Nothing there for me!

As for MB, much wishes for them to survive. They do occasionally surprise and release some interesting live-action flicks, too.

We need more companies that (re-)release the classics and off-beat stuff instead of just catering to one demographic or genre.

If I weren't broke right now, I'd still be bored out of my skull by most of what's been released these past 6-7 months. Talk about a drought of quality, let alone just interesting movies and series!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3