• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FUNimation Panel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
WolfWood37 wrote:
No One Piece announcements? That really surprises me.

What were you expecting? They're still chugging along with the TV series and they made it clear at Otakon that they had no intentions of doing the movies (they only did the one they did because it was a good jumping in point being based directly on the TV episodes).

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:28 pm Reply with quote
They have Chromeshelled Regios.
They have Black Butler.
They have Sacred Blacksmith.
So what seems to be the problem?

Also, I can agree on two things: FUNi being restrained because Navarre has a buyer for them, and Hakuouki would be SO MUCH WIN amongst fans of ACTUAL PLOT WRITING AND CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT.

The one thing I disagree on:
Quote:
“If you have a heart and soul, you will like this movie,” said dub director Mike McFarland.

I seen more "heart and soul" in X-Men Origins Wolverine than I could find in the lot of the moe for-otaku animu Japan keeps creating.

But hey. When the recession's over, I'll revisit this "heart and soul" issue and see how everyone else is doing then.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Otaku Teahouse wrote:
Judging from past Funimation theater experience, it will 90% likely be subbed, especially since it will be playing at arthouse theaters where they put more following on original language. If it had been a theater run with Fathom events, then they most likely would have to finish the dub first, but seeing as they've only just announced the english cast, with the time frame available, there's no way that theater run will be dubbed. They may premiere the dub at a convention, but I don't think they can finish it in a month.

Cool! I don't know what are the chances of this getting played anywhere I can go see it, but I'd like to see it in the theaters if I can.

Tyrenol wrote:
I seen more "heart and soul" in X-Men Origins Wolverine than I could find in the lot of the moe for-otaku animu Japan keeps creating.

Um, Summer Wars is the most non-moe-for-otaku movie in ages.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
TAlso, I can agree on two things: FUNi being restrained because Navarre has a buyer for them, and Hakuouki would be SO MUCH WIN amongst fans of ACTUAL PLOT WRITING AND CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT.

You mean, like the fans of all those dating-sim shows ? Razz (except the main audience would be girls...)

I guess with the amount of dating sims and harem shows flooding the market this season(they are sort of competing against each other), I can't blame Funi for not announcing any streaming licenses. Was sort of hoping for Star Driver, though.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:56 pm Reply with quote
So not much in the way of actual news then. To bad.
garfield15

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:

But hey. When the recession's over, I'll revisit this "heart and soul" issue and see how everyone else is doing then.

Uh, are you still talking about Summer Wars here?
Kimani

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
WolfWood37 wrote:
No One Piece announcements? That really surprises me.

What were you expecting? They're still chugging along with the TV series and they made it clear at Otakon that they had no intentions of doing the movies (they only did the one they did because it was a good jumping in point being based directly on the TV episodes).

Emerje

Damn, I didn't know the rest of the movies aren't coming over here.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:52 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Uh, are you still talking about Summer Wars here?

I know you people are talking about "Summer Wars." I don't plan on watching it since it's not my cup of tea. It's certainly not as bad as the otaku garbage that's out there.

But it seemed like the guy who used "heart and soul" for "Summer Wars" had not seen a live-action near-sci-fi movie at all.
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:57 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Mike McFarland is kind of a mediocre dub director.

Seriously? Have you watched Fullmetal Alchemist and FMA Brotherhood?
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:20 pm Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Yes he has, and has in numerous other threads said he doesn't much like those dubs, so he's being entirely consistent.

I concur in part, btw; I cannot stand Vic Mignogna as Ed, he sounds... well, like 45-year old man trying to play a 15-year old boy. Confused
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:47 pm Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Why else would I say he was mediocre? The only reason he's "mediocre" instead of "bad" is because some of the VAs performed well. But that's probably more a testament to their skills as VAs.

The Rebuild 1.0 dub was iffy, only marginally better than ADV's awful dub of the TV series. Don't get me started on his DBZ work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
garfield15

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I felt that the Rebuild dub was very well put together and one of FUNi's best.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Thunderbird- wrote:

Anyway, I'm kinda disappointed that Funimation didn't announce any simulcasts. I thought for sure they would at least license MM! or Index 2.

I find it more puzzling than disappointing. I had originally speculated over at the Funimation forum that perhaps they were putting everything on hold because Navarre had a pending buyer for Funimation. At the time, I was only half serious, but can anyone put forward another reasonable explanation for the delay?

The only thing more puzzling would be if they actually had not licensed any simulcasts yet for the Fall. If that had happened, I would fully expect Crunchyroll to have announced the licensing of Index II and Star Driver by now. Smile
JLightstar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:44 am Reply with quote
Wasn't Mari a character that was developed for the sega saturn
Eva games?
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:06 am Reply with quote
Geez, you people are spoiled aren't you? So Funimation goes one con without announcing too much, is that really something to get so upset over? I mean c'mon, some companies don't even HAVE a panel at NYAF (looking at you Viz >_> ).

Anyway, if it isn't too much money I might actually be interested in that FLCL release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4