• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Starz Develops Live-Action Remake of Noir Action Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:01 pm Reply with quote
The problem with making it a tv series is that American tv series like to either go really short (a mini series like band of brothers) or they want to drag it out as much as possible. I just don't see them planning for 26 episodes, like the TV series. Has me worried.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Huh? An American remake of a foreign concept centered around two rogue femme fatales battling a mysterious organization? Why is this ringing a bell...?

I only remember one femme fatale in Nikita.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:16 pm Reply with quote
If you're referring to La Femme Nikita: yes. The 2010 remake, however, features Nikita and a double agent named Alex whom has been inserted within Division as one of their recruits (assassin in training).
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:21 pm Reply with quote
No, I'm referring to the original movie. Nikita had a trainer who was female if I recall correctly, but she went on missions solo.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the movie only followed Nikita herself IIRC. My point was more that this Noir project has got a bit of hill to climb given that there's already a program airing that bears a great deal of resemblance to it conceptually, never mind that Nikita has a pedigree of sorts in the US due to the pre-existing Canadian series.

Add: I realize they'd be airing on different cable channels; I still wonder how much appetite there is for Femme Fatale series.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:40 pm Reply with quote
ittoujuu wrote:
You know...of all the shows they could have picked to adapt, I was like, "Noir? Really?" Although a lot of my blame is directed squarely at Koichi Mashimo and Bee Train, who have perfected the art of slow-ass pacing without having meaning in that slowness to a science, Noir was still basically 13 episodes of story poured into a 26-episode vessel. It just...wasn't that interesting. There weren't any developed characters outside of the small main cast, and the main cast wasn't all that interesting in just their interactions with each other. Also, there was like...no men in the show, except when they needed someone to intercept a bullet shot by one of the classy dames.

It would be hard for a live-action remake to actually be a more sleep-inducing show than the anime was, so maybe they can take what's good about the concept and polish it up, but I'm not holding my breath.

Noir is a great show. The problem is you and your OCD. I'm so tired of n00b anime/film fans who demand everything to be so fast paced all the time. It's annoying and they're moronic and have no repsect for the art of film.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:23 am Reply with quote
Sweet! This might actually be pretty cool. For once somebody's picked a show that will work. Cool
Jaymie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:49 am Reply with quote
I'm glad American producers have the right idea. Adapting series like Dragonball and Bleach just because they're popular is an awful idea, but series like Noir could really work.

But please, keep Yuki Kajiura.
MechR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:11 am Reply with quote
I could see Noir working as a movie. As a plus, they could use the original soundtrack without it getting too repetitive.
Rime of the Ancient Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:58 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Just want to point out that the word "movie" isn't in the news article at all (though I admittedly didn't check the source provided).

I did.
Quote:
The move is the latest in Starz' plan to develop compelling genre shows like the upcoming Camelot, a concept that AMC just proved can bring in big cable numbers with its powerful launch of The Walking Dead.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:22 am Reply with quote
Sam Raimi goes from making big blockbuster films to a made-for-TV movie? I know Spider-Man 3 wasn't great, but he doesn't need to be exiled to this low rung of the industry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:28 am Reply with quote
Rime of the Ancient Otaku wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Just want to point out that the word "movie" isn't in the news article at all (though I admittedly didn't check the source provided).

I did.
Quote:
The move is the latest in Starz' plan to develop compelling genre shows like the upcoming Camelot, a concept that AMC just proved can bring in big cable numbers with its powerful launch of The Walking Dead.

I'm not understanding.

"move" and "movie" are two different words that mean different things. Is there something that I am missing? They even mention TV shows (Camelot and Walking Dead) in that quote.
unready

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:34 am Reply with quote
Rime of the Ancient Otaku wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

I did.

You need an "i" in "move" to make "movie." The word "movie" doesn't appear anywhere in the linked source.

I have low expectations of Raimi and Tappert. Hercules and Xena stank. I have a tough time imagining anything they do being anything other than spray cheese in a can.

Still, it might be interesting to see if they can figure out that "Mireille" is pronounced mer-ay, not mir-ee-el (like ADV did in the dub and then said that's the way Mireille would have pronounced her own name, argh).
unready

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:45 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
No, I'm referring to the original movie. Nikita had a trainer who was female if I recall correctly, but she went on missions solo.

That was Jeanne Moreau as Amande.
In the CBS/Warner TV series, Melinda Clarke plays Amanda.

IMO the only thing that comes close to La Femme Nikita is Point of No Return, where Anne Bancroft played Amanda, but then Luc Besson wrote them both.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:51 am Reply with quote
DCRavenX wrote:
Now the only question is, who are Bruce Campbell and Ted Raimi going to play, cause you know they won't be left out.

Bruce has espionage "experience" via Burn Notice, so he's got it set there. But you then run into a problem: Noir doesn't have any comedic elements in it, which Campbell and Raimi are well known for their comedic roles.

The only way I could see them fit in is if they steal a few ideas from fellow girls with guns anime Madlax, which has a few subtle, yet humorous moments in between the gunfights and battles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5