• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do NOT ask for Downloads! [Or Illegal Streaming Video Links]

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps it would be good to have a sticky thread at the top of every forum that contains "Teh Rules" and has a title like "READ THE RULES OR BE BANNED"
space clam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:46 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
Perhaps it would be good to have a sticky thread at the top of every forum that contains "Teh Rules" and has a title like "READ THE RULES OR BE BANNED"

How about, "Read and obey the rules or be banned?" Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:44 am Reply with quote
space clam wrote:
How about, "Read and obey the rules or be banned?" Wink

Heh, then at least half of us wouldn't be here. After looking at Teh Rules again, I've noticed that lot of us have violated even the tiniest of details like going off topic (a lot), excessively quoting, the lack of proper English (grammar and such), commerce not confined to the Retail Forum, and a little bit of swearing (though I don't really give a **** about it Razz).
space clam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

Heh, then at least half of us wouldn't be here. After looking at Teh Rules again, I've noticed that lot of us have violated even the tiniest of details like going off topic (a lot), excessively quoting, the lack of proper English (grammar and such), commerce not confined to the Retail Forum, and a little bit of swearing (though I don't really give a **** about it Razz).

Well, follow the rules within reason, of course. I don't think the mods are out to make sure the letter of the law is enforced to a "t," or that they even want to try to enforce the rules that stringently--their work would probably never end. Going a little off-topic seems to be all right, sporadically, so long as it remains intelligent discussion. Quoting the quote of the quote of the quote of someone is lazy in many cases, justified in a few. Grammar-wise, the majority of people here aren't English majors--"proper grammar" might be interpreted as "at least try to sound like an intelligent person." Can't say much about the commerce/Retail forum, since I rarely notice anything of the sort. And for swearing, well, it seems that excessive profane language is what will get you in trouble. One "average" swear every now and then flies low enough under the radar, I think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:18 pm Reply with quote
space clam wrote:
Well, follow the rules within reason, of course.

Of course, of course. I was just trying to tease you a little Anime smile + sweatdrop.

Personally, if I were a mod I probably wouldn't be able to keep up with maybe even half of the "violations" I see around here. There're just too many (most of them being very miniscule).

I see lots of one-liners, cosmo threads, and bad grammar, but I don't want to seem like a prick and report each and every one of them (either because I'm too lazy, don't care, or both), not to mention I want to give the mods a break since they've got more important things to do like post news, do interviews, contact office people from all sorts of companies, and so on.

If I see something totally out of line (like "where can I download 'such and such' anime") I'll of course report it, but for the most part I'm pretty lenient and am not bothered at all by what's posted a majority of the time.
Meson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:27 am Reply with quote
radicaledward wrote:
I was hoping that the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) wouldn't get brought up because it opens a whole new can of worms. Case and point - I have a CD that I want to make a copy of to play in my car on a long trip, under the fair use laws this is acceptable as long as I don't get my copy to anyone and it is for my personal use. Now here is where things get interesting, when I start to make the copy at my computer I find out that it is a CD-E (a Blue Book format CD with an audio and data section) with both a that has anti-copy software on the CD. According the DMCA there is nothing I can do at this point to copy the CD without violating the DMCA; however, under copyright fair use the software is preventing me from making a legal copy of the CD for my use.

FYI: you can leagally make a copy of a CD-E and not violate the DMCA. The method is similar to how you can legally copy DVDs:

Play the CD in a stand-alone CD player with speakers, and have your computer record from the microphone. Once you convert the microphone recordings to MP3. You would have a legal MP3 copy of the CD-E disc.

For DVDs. Play the DVD in one player with a TV hook up. Aim a video camera at the TV., and record off the TV playback. Then, all you need is to burn the video recording to a blank DVD, and you will have your copy.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
dgreater1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Awww.... bad grammars.... what would you do if an avarage japanese person stumbled upon this site and ask "Where I am?" or something not similar to "Where am I?"? Anime smile

single line + you know what... Laughing
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:31 am Reply with quote
dgreater1 wrote:
Awww.... bad grammars.... what would you do if an avarage japanese person stumbled upon this site and ask "Where I am?" or something not similar to "Where am I?"? Anime smile

single line + you know what... Laughing

The Rules make allowance for non-native English speakers, but it is strongly advised that people start out by saying that English isn't their first language. It helps clear up any possible misunderstandings, and lets the moderators know that lenience is indicated.

If you worry about this, PM Sarki-kun, one of our best regular posters, whose first language is Spanish, and ask him whether he's ever felt that it was a problem.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
herbkir

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:13 pm Reply with quote
It looks like anime and music downloaders are among the losers in a new U.S. Supreme Court decision that hammered the peer-to-peer (P2P) file-sharing networks.

The court in the Grokster case this weekend ruled that P2P networks like Grokster and Morpheus can be sued for encouraging copyright violations. The court didn’t buy the media companies’ argument that P2P technology should be outlawed altogether on grounds its basic purpose is to facilitate copyright piracy. But the court did greatly weaken legal protection for the file-sharing networks.

The court said P2P networks that "encourage" or "promote" unlawful trading of copyrighted music or video files by their users can be sued right along with the users doing the actual illicit trading. The court said the P2P networks’ legal liability for the actions of their users will depend on how they market the network/software and what steps they take to curtail illicit uses.

In short, media companies now can prosecute the builders of the P2P "pirate ships" (Grokster etc.) along with the actual copyright pirates themselves. Look for a whole lot of court cases that'll establish what P2P has to do to avoid liability for aiding and abetting copyright piracy. (^_*)
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:26 pm Reply with quote
herbkir wrote:
It looks like anime and music downloaders are among the losers in a new U.S. Supreme Court decision that hammered the peer-to-peer (P2P) file-sharing networks.

While music downloaders certainly have the future of their free stash to fear, this decision will hardly affect anime. About the only time you could expect an anime company to become involved is if they have a good feeling that P2P is taking a large chunk of their sales away, and they decide they have quite a bit of extra money laying around that they can throw at a suit. On top of that, they also have to weigh the consequences of alienating those that download to preview and then buy.
antonmonter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:28 pm Reply with quote
[quote="abunai"]
dgreater1 wrote:

The Rules make allowance for non-native English speakers, but it is strongly advised that people start out by saying that English isn't their first language. It helps clear up any possible misunderstandings, and lets the moderators know that lenience is indicated.
- abunai

Well, I think you can know if someone is not a native speaker of english just seing their "location". That's why I think tha the ones that aren't staffers at this forum must not lie about that.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:04 pm Reply with quote
antonmonter wrote:
Well, I think you can know if someone is not a native speaker of english just seing their "location". That's why I think the the ones that aren't staffers at this forum must not lie about that.

The location under one's avatar can be anywhere, and the location indicated by IP address means nothing either: an IP located in an English-speaking country does not guarantee its user is a native speaker and vice versa, plus there are so many anonymous proxy servers available.

Ironically, in our experience those articles with the poorest written English are mostly posted by native English speakers. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:53 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Ironically, in our experience those articles with the poorest written English are mostly posted by native English speakers. Cool

It is ironic but when one learns a different language they try to use proper grammer otherwise they will think no one will know what they are saying. Also they probably don't know any slang in that language. I find that with my experiances with different languages. Also if English is ones first language then they know the slang and they already know people will understand them if they misspell something, etc. Since there are people here who arn't anglophones we should use proper English that way they will understand us better.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:56 pm Reply with quote
mistress_reebi wrote:
dormcat wrote:

It is ironic but when one learns a different language they try to use proper grammer otherwise they will think no one will know what they are saying. Also they probably don't know any slang in that language. I find that with my experiances with different languages. Also if English is ones first language then they know the slang and they already know people will understand them if they misspell something, etc. Since there are people here who arn't anglophones we should use proper English that way they will understand us better.

I disagree. In my native Danish, I speak and write with proper use of grammar. I do so in English, too - and in any other language that I use.

The people who don't do so, aren't just making the assumption that people will probably understand them, regardless. They're being lazy. When I see their posts, I move my estimation of their intelligence down a notch (well, more than just a notch), because no person with half a brain would be caught dead posting such tripe.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fuyu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:10 pm Reply with quote
....so i know that downloading is well..immoral, as someone from above had mention. but honestly if you're saying that it's wrong, are you telling me that you've *never* dowloaded a mp3? copied a cd, game, video? That you've *never* downloaded a music video etc.? Because honestly these are *all* considered "illegal" isn't it? If you're so into what's right and wrong then you should start telling people to stop "downloading, not just anime but all the other stuff altogether. Because if you considered them wrong then what about asking for downloads here then shouldn't downloading mp3 and such be illegal too? And yet millions and millions do this. If you've done anything from the above (what was listed) then you really have no right telling people to stop.

Sorry being rude and all but these posts are getting annoying both from people requesting and people reporting them.

And just to tell you i honestly don't care but the posts are really getting annoying. (i on't download since it freezes my comp., so i'm not just saying that because i'm on their side)

well that's just my opinion, but you really should leave it to the moderators.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13