• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Are You Considering Buying?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
This has by and by gone better than I'd expected. I appreciate the patience and help that's been given quite a lot.

One-Eye wrote:
Beck: I would probably knock this one up a notch to P4 as the singles seem to be getting harder to get at reasonable prices (the last time I looked) and its already been moved to the SAVE edition. I own the singles with the amp art box.

Yes, I've gone ahead with this change since you and TKoH both suggest it and I already have the amp box along with a volume that was nearly out at TRSI at the time. I really should just swallow my medicine and get volume five over with before the rest becomes scarce.

One-Eye wrote:
Millennium Actress: May go OOP and its also starting to get pricey. I would move this to P4 and if you are already a Satoshi Kon fan to P5.

Perfect Blue: Brand new versions seem to be hovering around $40 (that's the more reasonable price), used seem in the $25-30 range at “like new” and again when reasonable. If you are not adverse to buying used then P4 or P5 depending how bad you want this classic.

To be honest, when it comes to the Kon films, I'm kind of give up and decided to hope that somebody some day realizes 'oh, way, these are good, we should probably sell them again, maybe put them on Blu-ray..." Terribly idealistic, I know, but I have such high expectations that I can't help but indulge in some lofty idealism.

One-Eye wrote:
Moribito: Whatever is going on with Media Blasters would make me nervous enough to bump this to P5. Warning my BD version has weird echoes in the second volume. I have to try it in another BD-player to check if it was an issue with the player or my disks.

It would be at the highest level, but I already have the eight-disc DVD edition (I got it for $20 on sale a few months ago). At this point, a Blu-ray edition would be very nice to have, because I do love the series, but not essential.

One-Eye wrote:
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence: I own the steel case DVD version. You can still find the regular DVD version (no not the crappy one with hearing impaired subtitles) occasionally at reasonable prices (both new and used), but the longer you wait the harder it will be. If its DVD version I might move it up to P4 especially if you are a fan of the original movie. If you are not a fan and don't have to have it, then I'd leave it at P2. The BD version, yea I've seen it going for $150-200 on ebay. I think you can import it for about $50 if you really need it in BD.

I'm more a fan of the Stand-Alone Complex series than the original film. This one is slightly above 'might be nice' to have in my mind. Given the nuisance of getting a good version and that I can stand to wait, it might actually make sense to downgrade it slightly.

One-Eye wrote:
Zipang: I've given up on this one. I was always fascinated with the idea and what I've heard about the show. However, some of the volumes are pricey and if I remember correctly the dub was atrocious and the show didn't really finish the story. There's too many negatives there, I might drop that to P1.

That's a fair assessment. I've been known to equivocate over this one because it's a fantastic premise, but I've heard from everybody and anybody that the English dub is wretched. I'm not so bothered by a hanging ending so long as it doesn't needlessly say, "f**k you," to everything that went before it.

supercreep wrote:
I liked the idea of all of us coming together to work on this list Laughing

I'm surprised by the attention that it's gotten. I half expected one or two, "big list lol," posts and rolled eyes before everybody got on with their lives, but I'm glad that you've all be patient and helpful. This has helped me sort some of my priorities out.

supercreep wrote:
Paranoia Agent was my holy grail, and took me a very long time to assemble. I got very lucky with an ebay auction from a used bookstore that didn't know the value of what they had. I don't think it would be a stretch to say that all of Satoshi Kon's works are going out of print.

I've noticed the the late Mr. Kon's work is vanishing from the market, which sucks, because he was terrific. (I reread his farewell letter again a while back... still makes me cry, especially the last lines) In a way, I've given up on most of them, because I'd love to see them, but they seem less than readily attainable. Perhaps it's best to leave them as dreams to chase.

darkhappy1 wrote:
I find this entire situation amusingly cooperative. We're all like vultures from accounting.

Well, I'm presently working at the budget office of a state with a Republican governor and a pension crisis during a recession, so I'm used to that.

darkhappy1 wrote:
Also, you mistyped "meet" as "meat" on your Dragonauts entry, unless that was a tongue-in-cheek joke. In that case, haha.)

Typo! F**K!

I mean... I'm so clever!

Yeah, that's the ticket.

darkhappy1 wrote:
Emma: A Victorian Romance is like the Twin Spica of anime in America (in that barely anyone wants it), except there's not much indication of it being scarce either. Downgrading the series to P2 probably won't cause you any regrets, but I hesitate suggesting lowing any title in priority.

Well, comparing it in any way to Twin Spica just makes me want it more. (Such a great manga) Nevertheless, I see your point. I think that I was a little motivated by having heard that TRSI had let their highfalutin' edition fall out of print. I'm not sure how I'll move on this, because I really do want it, especially after having so enjoyed A Bride's Story
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:49 am Reply with quote
Okay, so I'll bold the ones I love and put comments beside them.

Surrender Artist wrote:
Priority Score 5
Princess Tutu - Yes, please. I really shouldn't have to say more.
Wolf's Rain

Priority Score 4
Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd GIG
Haibane Renmei - This is one I started watching a loooong, looooong time ago but just drifted away from. I'm equally interested in collecting it, and I imagine we both would be fond of it. With Funi's release soon to be out, this series could probably take a back seat in terms of availability.
Kite (Blu-ray disc)
Lupin III ~The Woman Called Fujiko Mine~
Michiko e Hatchin
Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Well, I love the series. I debate whether I'd put this over other series in terms of availability. Unless if you're wanting the LEs. Then, yeah, I'd say to jump for it sooner rather than later. The cds are worth it. Then again, it's Aniplex, so it's probably safer to keep it at a 4.
Serial Experiments Lain (Blu-ray disc)
Spice & Wolf
Spice & Wolf 2 - I'll just comment on both seasons here. I finished up season 2 in June and came to like it quite a bit. The interaction between Lawrence and Holo is the entire selling point of the series, though certain people may get a thrill out of the economics. Maybe it's rated high because of how much you want to see it, but in terms of availability, I think I'd put some Bandai and/or Media Blasters titles first.
Twelve Kingdoms - Really really really great series! Love love love love love. Twelve Kingdoms, Moribito, Story of Saiunkoku, and Beast Player Erin are the holy quad of fantasy anime with awesome lead females.

Priority Score 3
Baccano! - Very fun. I already have Funi's DVDs, which aren't bad, but I still recommend picking up the blu-ray (and since it's Aniplex, who knows how long it will be around).
Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail
Claymore
Cowboy Bebop
Dominion Tank Police
Emma: A Victorian Romance
Emma: A Victorian Romance, 2nd Act - Once again commenting on both seasons. I liked the anime version, but I personally preferred the manga. Emma and William are a lot more subdued in the anime, and things happen quite a bit differently in the second season. I just prefer the way Emma and William are portrayed in the manga - they let loose their inner passions more often. I don't mean to make it sound like a bodice ripper, because it isn't at all. And Kaoru Mori's drawing style is just so amazing. I could stare at it all day. But since CPM's manga release is so expensive, I can't really justify spending all of that money (I'd probably still pay for it if I didn't already have it since Emma is within my top 5 favorite manga along with Basara, Chrono Crusade, Please Save My Earth, and Twin Spica). So I'd say that the anime is good enough and that you should own Emma something. And, no, their highfalutin' edition is not yet out of print. I bought this one at the end of last year. Pick it up.
Galaxy Angel
Galaxy Angel A
Galaxy Angel S
Koi Kaze
Kurogane Communications
Magic Knight Rayearth
Magic Knight Rayearth II - I remember reading that you didn't care for the 2nd manga series as much as the first. Well, the 2nd season of the anime is completely different from the manga. Completely. And I actually prefer it to the 1st season. CLAMP seems to be one of the few groups where I end up preferring their anime adaptions to their manga (at least for the manga I liked). Angelic Layer, CCS, MKR, X/1999 (only because it has an ending). I still really like their manga, but the anime just ends up fleshing things out more (well, except for X). Now, there's a lot of nostalgia backing up my opinion since I consider MKR to be one of the defining series that really got me into anime, so my opinion is colored. But I still definitely recommend it.
Martian Successor Nadesico
Millenium Actress - Make this at least a 4. Maybe a 5. This movie and Whisper of the Heart are my two favorite anime movies. MA never fails to bring tears to my eyes. It's my favorite Satoshi Kon, hands down.
Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit (Blu-ray disc) - It's good to see you own the series already. I'd like to double dip and get the BD as well. But I'm never getting rid of the DVDs. That release is f***ing gorgeous.
Paranoia Agent - You can still get this series for a decent price in the R2 region, I think. I was lucky enough to get this entire series over time for about $80. Another great Satoshi Kon though.
Please Save My Earth - Warning, you'll see this and then immediately wish you had the manga (the last 5 minutes of the episode seriously just shows random clips from the last 12 volumes - the OVAs only cover the first 8 volumes of the manga). Luckily for me, I bought this right before the manga started to be released in the U.S. I pity the poor saps nowadays who haven't yet bought the manga, because you have to pay a pretty penny to get some of the volumes. Regardless, I still recommend seeing it. It's so gorgeous and handles the dramatic aspects of the manga better than what the manga does. And the music is really beautiful. It looks like the availability of the series is still pretty good, so it's probably still fine in Zone #3.
Sweet Blue Flowers
Tweeny Witches

Priority Score 2
3 x 3 Eyes - Yay, dark, gruesome, gory fun with romance mixed in. I think the OVAs stand well on their own and, unlike PSME, end at a good point (there are still a few unresolved story lines, but nothing like PSME). The manga is split into 4 different arcs, and the OVAs cover the first two arcs. One of my favorite OVAs (along with PSME). Looks like Geneons' 2007 release is still pretty available (damn, those are cheap - I got the 2000 version).
Azumanga Daioh
Black Lagoon
Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage
Blue Seed
Ergo Proxy
Fantastic Children - This is Bandai. Bump up higher. I already explained to you in the PM about my opinion. Seriously, bump up higher. Who knows when Bandai's releases will finally go OOP.
FLCL
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
Giant Robo - I can't say anything about Giant Robo itself, but do you have GaoGaiGar already? If not, then add it too these lists! It's really fun Super Robot series also sold by Media Blasters.
Gunslinger Girl
Hellsing Ultimate
Master Keaton
My-HiME
My-Otome
Only Yesterday
Patlabor: The Mobile Police
Perfect Blue - Satoshi Kon! Support it while you still can.
Project A-ko FINAL
Shadow Star Narutaru
Shiki - Great horror series. I don't come across many I love in anime. But, yeah, since it's a recent release, the lower priority is probably best. Unless if you want the LE. It's nothing special though other than the box.
Stellvia
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - OMG, good movie! I recommend picking up the blu-ray.
The Irresonpsible Captain Taylor (OAV)
The Irresonpsible Captain Taylor (TV)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Trigun
You're Under Arrest (OAV + TV)
Yugo the Negotiatior
Zipang

Priority Score 1
All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku
All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku TV
Animation Runner Kuromi 2
Armored Trooper VOTOMS
Berserk
Flag
Fullmetal Alchemist
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shamballah
Gall Force: Stardust War
Galaxy Angel Z
Ghost in the Shell
Gunbuster - While I do enjoy this OVA, I don't seem to love it as much as others on this board do. Yeah, pricing ain't pretty right now, so I guess it's safe to keep it as a 1 and hope you come across a good deal some day.
House of Five Leaves
Outlaw Star
Planetes - I'm curious why this is so low. Have you already seen the series and have some qualms with it? Once again, I told you my opinions in the PM. But this is also Bandai, and so I recommend bumping up higher. Despite my opinions of the ending, I thought that the series was quite good.
Project A-ko Cinderella Rhapsody
Project A-ko: Plot of the Daitokuji Financial Group
Rhea Gall Force
Roujin Z
Texhnolyze
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

Priority Score 0
All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku DASH
Animation Runner Kuromi
Banner of the Stars
Banner of the Stars II
Crest of the Stars - Have you already seen the three series above and not cared for them? (I should probably take a look at your watched list if you have one. Anime hyper) It's another Bandai release, so I think that it'd deserve some bump up. I bought them at the end of last year, and I'm looking forward to eventually seeing them.
Galaxy Angel X
Gall Force: Destruction
Gall Force: Earth Chapter
Gall Force: New Era
Gunslinger Girl Il Teatreano
Lupin III (First series)
Mezzo DSA
Twin Signal
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:48 am Reply with quote
@willag
When you referr to the 3X3 Eyes manga, are you talking about the portion Dark Horse gave us or the entire 40 volumes that came out in Japan?
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:54 am Reply with quote
Was thinking of buying the adv release of Paniponi Dash, because it seems they have notes that play with it that explain the jokes. I already have the funimation release. Anyone know if its worth it?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote
The notes are definitely interesting, but there's a lot of them, so there's a lot of pausing. If you haven't seen it already, I'd recommend watching the show first and then rewatching it later with the notes. That way it won't hamper your viewing experience, but I also think you'll enjoy and appreciate those little tidbits of information after the fact, rather than during. I'd also watch it on your computer in a media player so you can just hit the space bar whenever you want to pause/unpause.

The covers and art box are bitchin' too.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
Viewing it with the notes can be a bit clunky. This is a sample from the show.

So, yeah, if you're gonna watch it with the notes, your best bet would be to watch it without first and then watch it with. Or as TKoH said, do a lot of pausing.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:56 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@willag
When you referr to the 3X3 Eyes manga, are you talking about the portion Dark Horse gave us or the entire 40 volumes that came out in Japan?

Dark Horse only just briefly got into the third arc before canceling their releases. In Japan, the manga story arcs are divided as described:
  • Seima Yogeki (Divine Demon Monster Busters) - Vol. 1-2 - Yakumo and Pai travel to Hong Kong and have some adventures with Yogekisha. These stories were used for the first anime series.
  • Seima Densetsu (Divine Demon Legend) - Vol. 3-5 - Yakumo finds Pai after 4 years, and they seek to restore her memory. This storyline is used for the second anime series, also named Seima Densetsu.
  • Seima Seiki (Divine Demon Century) - Vol. 6-11 - The continuing adventures of Yakumo and Pai reveal the history of Kaiyanwang and the Sanjiyan Unkara.
  • Seima Sousei (Divine Demon Genesis) - Vol. 12-40 - This was originally a departure from the main plotline that disappointed some fans. However, the plot came back and focused on Pai and Yakumo's quest to become human and defeat Kaiyanwang.

It's actually in the third arc where you finally find out why the series is called 3x3 Eyes. For a basic spoiler, spoiler[the ceremony to turn a Sanjiyan Unkara into a human requires 3 Sanjiyan and the Statue of Humanity.] For a little more detailed spoiler, spoiler[the Sanjiyan personality and power of two of the Sanjiyan Unkara are removed from their body and transferred within the third Sanjiyan Unkara. This ceremony results in one Sanjiyan Unkara super-powered while the other two become human. This is why Kaiyanwang is mad with power - he's absorbed so many Sanjiyan within himself. And he isn't the first Kaiyanwang. His name was Shiva before he took over the Kaiyanwang mantle, and he was engaged to Pai/Parvati IV. The previous Kaiyanwang was power-obsessed as well and tried to remove Shiva's powers, but the ceremony was disrupted, and the Statue of Humanity was rotated such that Shiva absorbed the power of Kaiyanwang.] After Pai and Yakumo discover the truth, spoiler[the rest of the series becomes focused on whether they should or should not participate in the ceremony. The last thing they want is to make Kaiyanwang even more overpowered. Also, Yakumo ends up falling in love with both personalities, Pai and Parvati IV. If Pai were to participate, then Parvati IV would be absorbed into Kaiyanwang.] In the end, spoiler[their hand is forced, and Pai participates in the ceremony. Yakumo and Pai are able to call Parvati IV back from the depths of Kaiyanwang, however, (after coming close to death), and willingly become immortal again. Kaiyanwang is defeated, Yakumo finally kicks the shit out of Benares, and all is happy. It's funny how the series focuses on their struggles to become human, but in the end they choose to become immortal again with Yakumo as Pai/Parvati IV's Wu.]

I ended up buying all 40 Japanese volumes after Dark Horse dropped the English releases. I then relied upon a certain site for all of the scanslations. They FINALLY finished scanslating all 40 volumes last year. I had been waiting almost 10 years to understand everything. It was one of the most exciting moments of my life to finally see it.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:41 pm Reply with quote
@ willag
I have been trying to read Kimagure Orange Road that way. Though I don't have a scanlation but rather a text translation and the Japanese hardback volumes. It is a hard way to read something.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Another very thorough treatment, and as it's from the person whose own lists gave me the idea, I am particularly obliged.

I realized that there were some gulfs in the list. Namely in Sentai Filmworks properties. They haven't had much that I want, but they've begun getting more that interests me. I slipped Kids on the Slope in at PL4, Bodacious Space Pirates at PL3 and This Boy Can Fight Aliens at PL 1. That's mostly academic as the first two are well away from release. I also slipped the Makoto Shinkai corpus, less Voices of Distant Star, which I have seen, into the middle ranges. I expect that I'll enjoy his stuff, but neither interest nor scarcity give them much urgency.

If my spreadsheet and list here are consistent, I'm interested in one hundred and seven titles. What's terrible is that I'm sure that there's more that could creep onto the list.

Oy vey.

willag wrote:
Princess Tutu - Yes, please. I really shouldn't have to say more.

Indeed; I intend for it to be part of my upcoming memorial to my having not died yet.

willag wrote:
Priority Score 4
Haibane Renmei - This is one I started watching a loooong, looooong time ago but just drifted away from. I'm equally interested in collecting it, and I imagine we both would be fond of it. With Funi's release soon to be out, this series could probably take a back seat in terms of availability.

Haibane Renmei really appeals to my sort of 'artistic' side that craves things that are unusual and covered in the fingerprints of its creator. Still, I've been interested in it for what seems like forever and a day, in a way by going from forbiddingly rare to readily available is a lateral movement. I certainly want to see it, but that's been true for long enough the the marginal value of another day on that total is trivial. Yet, on the other hand, part of me just wants to throw caution to the wind and preorder Haibane Renmei, both seasons of Black Lagoon and the Blu-ray version of Serial Experiments Lain in one great gulp.

Tradition stipulates that such impasses be resolved by means of polyhedral die. To my Dungeons & Dragons supplies!

willag wrote:
Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Well, I love the series. I debate whether I'd put this over other series in terms of availability. Unless if you're wanting the LEs. Then, yeah, I'd say to jump for it sooner rather than later. The cds are worth it. Then again, it's Aniplex, so it's probably safer to keep it at a 4.

The impressive collection of people who have praised this show have made me sure that I want it, but I've equivocated over what version I want. The luxuriating perfectionist squatting in my brain's penthouse apartment wants the finest available, viȝ. the limited editions, but hoi polloi in the first floor studios think that the ordinary Blu-ray discs would be enough. Truth be told, I had originally hoped that the limited editions would be snapped up so soon that by the time the question came up, the choice would've been made. Ugh, why did I suddenly have to go and get a good job and be forced to deal with such agonies. Woe! Woe unto me!

willag wrote:
Spice & Wolf
Spice & Wolf 2 - I'll just comment on both seasons here. I finished up season 2 in June and came to like it quite a bit. The interaction between Lawrence and Holo is the entire selling point of the series, though certain people may get a thrill out of the economics. Maybe it's rated high because of how much you want to see it, but in terms of availability, I think I'd put some Bandai and/or Media Blasters titles first.

I raised Spice & Wolf pretty high because I loved the first three episodes. I'm the right kind of nerd to love the economics in it, which I think will make for a beautifully idiosyncratic complement to a really remarkable dynamic twixt the leads. I had been waiting for the complete collection that FUNImation will release in a few weeks. I really want to see it, but it it indeed not urgent.

willag wrote:
Twelve Kingdoms - Really really really great series! Love love love love love. Twelve Kingdoms, Moribito, Story of Saiunkoku, and Beast Player Erin are the holy quad of fantasy anime with awesome lead females.

I really want to see The Twelve Kingdoms. I like intricate fantasy epics a lot and it's a Media Blasters joint, so there's some urgency to it. I've been thinking of ordering it together with both series of Magic Knight Rayearth and Tweeny Witches for a 'Media Blasters Fantasy Girls' month. (Heh, maybe I should've waited on watching Simoun and Figure 17 for that)

I'm curious about Beast Player Erin too, but its length is a touch forbidding. Story of Saiunkoku looks interesting, but I haven't considered too closely and from what I understand, it's a nuisance to get ahold of.

willag wrote:
Priority Score 3
Baccano! - Very fun. I already have Funi's DVDs, which aren't bad, but I still recommend picking up the blu-ray (and since it's Aniplex, who knows how long it will be around).

The community has been pressing this one pretty hard, so I might reconsider. I do love things set in the twenties and thirties (Sometimes I seem to be trying to set myself in that era) and wild ebullient excess salaciousness. (Try saying that five times fast... then ask why you just did something that a silly person on the internet offhandedly suggested, you very silly person)

willag wrote:
Emma: A Victorian Romance
Emma: A Victorian Romance, 2nd Act - Once again commenting on both seasons. I liked the anime version, but I personally preferred the manga. Emma and William are a lot more subdued in the anime, and things happen quite a bit differently in the second season. I just prefer the way Emma and William are portrayed in the manga - they let loose their inner passions more often. I don't mean to make it sound like a bodice ripper, because it isn't at all. And Kaoru Mori's drawing style is just so amazing. I could stare at it all day. But since CPM's manga release is so expensive, I can't really justify spending all of that money (I'd probably still pay for it if I didn't already have it since Emma is within my top 5 favorite manga along with Basara, Chrono Crusade, Please Save My Earth, and Twin Spica). So I'd say that the anime is good enough and that you should own Emma something. And, no, their highfalutin' edition is not yet out of print. I bought this one at the end of last year. Pick it up.

If nothing else, season one deserves to be raised up because it does look to be getting a bit scarce. I do love the Victorian Era (well, to look at) and A Bride's Story has given me a high regard for Kaour Mori. (I'm not sure that she's human... that mortal hands could draw that is almost inconceivable) And there are some good bargains on it too; I might mosey on over and grab a copy.

willag wrote:
Magic Knight Rayearth
Magic Knight Rayearth II - I remember reading that you didn't care for the 2nd manga series as much as the first. Well, the 2nd season of the anime is completely different from the manga. Completely. And I actually prefer it to the 1st season. CLAMP seems to be one of the few groups where I end up preferring their anime adaptions to their manga (at least for the manga I liked). Angelic Layer, CCS, MKR, X/1999 (only because it has an ending). I still really like their manga, but the anime just ends up fleshing things out more (well, except for X). Now, there's a lot of nostalgia backing up my opinion since I consider MKR to be one of the defining series that really got me into anime, so my opinion is colored. But I still definitely recommend it.

CLAMP themselves noted the difference between the manga and anime version of Magic Knight Rayearth II in omake strips in the omnibus edition that I read. I think that the manga version of the sequel felt a little 'muddled' to me, as compared to the very effective straightforwardness and clarity of the first. I was a little leery of the second season after reading Erica Friedman's somewhat unenthusiastic reviews (1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6), but I liked the manga well enough and I'll trust that you're able to control for nostalgia well enough to make a sound recommendation. Besides, sometimes I just need something heartening like what this seems to be.

willag wrote:
Millenium Actress - Make this at least a 4. Maybe a 5. This movie and Whisper of the Heart are my two favorite anime movies. MA never fails to bring tears to my eyes. It's my favorite Satoshi Kon, hands down.

I suppose I should get over my fretting and just buy this one. I've wanted to see it for a long time because Satoshi Kon was great and the premise appeals to me; your emotional endorsement makes it all the more appealing. Maybe I'll just grab a cheap used copy and hope that some day somebody figure out, "oh, this is really good and cool people will buy them on Blu-ray," so I don't feel bad about 'double-dipping'

willag wrote:
Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit (Blu-ray disc) - It's good to see you own the series already. I'd like to double dip and get the BD as well. But I'm never getting rid of the DVDs. That release is f***ing gorgeous.

I got the DVDs for a song and thought that it was great, so it seems fitting to some day get it on Blu-ray, but my eight DVDs aren't anything to complain about. This would be lower if I didn't think so highly of the series and Media Blasters didn't seem in so precarious a place.

willag wrote:
Paranoia Agent - You can still get this series for a decent price in the R2 region, I think. I was lucky enough to get this entire series over time for about $80. Another great Satoshi Kon though.

I was privileged to see Paranoia Agent when Adult Swim showed it, so I've at least had the experience. I've more or less accepted that this one will be ever just out of reach. I don't want to mess around with discs from other regions for now, but I'll have an occasional eye out for chances to start cobbling it together.

willag wrote:
Please Save My Earth - Warning, you'll see this and then immediately wish you had the manga (the last 5 minutes of the episode seriously just shows random clips from the last 12 volumes - the OVAs only cover the first 8 volumes of the manga). Luckily for me, I bought this right before the manga started to be released in the U.S. I pity the poor saps nowadays who haven't yet bought the manga, because you have to pay a pretty penny to get some of the volumes. Regardless, I still recommend seeing it. It's so gorgeous and handles the dramatic aspects of the manga better than what the manga does. And the music is really beautiful. It looks like the availability of the series is still pretty good, so it's probably still fine in Zone #3.

I've been considering Please Save My Earth since I read the Buried Treasures column about it, which of course made clear that the OVA leaves much of the tale untold. (If I ever try to hash out a manga version of this, Please Save My Earth will be on there) I'm a little surprised that I haven't gotten this one yet since I have a known fondness for OVAs and it opinion is strongly in its favor. Although it does look like more of a nuisance to get than I'd thought. (Fun fact: For years I thought that this was some overwrought, cloying environmentalist sermon in cartoon form because of the title)

willag wrote:
Priority Score 2
3 x 3 Eyes - Yay, dark, gruesome, gory fun with romance mixed in. I think the OVAs stand well on their own and, unlike PSME, end at a good point (there are still a few unresolved story lines, but nothing like PSME). The manga is split into 4 different arcs, and the OVAs cover the first two arcs. One of my favorite OVAs (along with PSME). Looks like Geneons' 2007 release is still pretty available (damn, those are cheap - I got the 2000 version).

I've been hearing about 3x3 Eyes almost since I started paying attention to anime, but it never crossed my path for some reason. I was persuaded that I might enjoy it by the relevant House of 1,000 Manga column. Still, it seems like I can afford to take my time on getting it.

willag wrote:
Fantastic Children - This is Bandai. Bump up higher. I already explained to you in the PM about my opinion. Seriously, bump up higher. Who knows when Bandai's releases will finally go OOP.

For some reason I keep thinking that this was a Geneon title.

Maybe I should give this one extra credit for its relative obscurity. I can't even remember how I heard of it. Its title almost sounds better fit to a silly children's action series (rendered superior by its preadolescent camel toe, of course) and it looks at first blush like a tepid Village of the Damned rip-off. My understanding is, however, that it is quite far from either of those. I relish apparent contradictions like that in life. (Well, maybe not a true contradiction, but its more of one than the ones in those stupid Starburst advertisements; My God, were those dumb)

willag wrote:
Giant Robo - I can't say anything about Giant Robo itself, but do you have GaoGaiGar already? If not, then add it too these lists! It's really fun Super Robot series also sold by Media Blasters.

To be honest, GaoGaiGar has never really interested me. Super (or real, these days) robot stuff never keeps my interest; even if it's fun, the novelty tends to wear off, although I'll concede that I haven't watched much like that in a long while. Still, it doens't seem like my kind of show. Neither does Giant Robo, I guess, but I think that Daryl Surat has incorporated subliminal messages on a subaural frequency into ever episode of Anime World Order that commands me to buy it. It has a certain old school anime auteur quality that is alluring to me.

willag wrote:
Perfect Blue - Satoshi Kon! Support it while you still can.

This one's a slightly harder call than Millenium Actress. I saw it once when I was in high school and really liked it, but even the used copies go for almost full retail price. I know what I should do, but I'm a grandmaster waffler.

What the Hell kind of screwed-up, crapsack world do we live in that has let most of Satoshi Kon's corpus fall out of print and stranded his last work in limbo?

willag wrote:
Shiki - Great horror series. I don't come across many I love in anime. But, yeah, since it's a recent release, the lower priority is probably best. Unless if you want the LE. It's nothing special though other than the box.

Well, I do like nice boxes and dark, moody horror, but there's not a lot of heat on this one for me because it's strictly in my wheelhouse and I won't likely need to chase desperately after it. Still, I do want to see just what leads up to a certain quite striking scene involving tractors that I somewhat carelessly watched on YoutTube few months ago.

willag wrote:
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - OMG, good movie! I recommend picking up the blu-ray.

This is another one people seem to be nudging pretty hard, so maybe. I just hope that I don't accidentally order some random disc of The Girl Who Leapt Through Space[i], which I keep confusing this with in my head (even worse than with [i]Princess Jellyfish and Squid Girl) or The Girl Who Slept Through Space, and obscure 1971 sexploitation film starring one of the women who played the Orion Slaves on the original Star Trek on her last legs banging a series of increasingly hirsute William Shatner lookalikes (one of them is probably really him; the man was living out of his truck at the time).

willag wrote:
Priority Score 1
Gunbuster - While I do enjoy this OVA, I don't seem to love it as much as others on this board do. Yeah, pricing ain't pretty right now, so I guess it's safe to keep it as a 1 and hope you come across a good deal some day.

I really want to see what the ending is like. There's considerable hubub about that from some parties and I've quasi-spoiled myself for it enough to be curious, but I suspect that it might speak to a generation or segment of fandom that I'm not part of. And though I'm ashamed to admit it, I'm a lifelong godless dubbite, something available only in Japanese with subtitles tends to slip down my list. So I can wait, besides, I wouldn't want to have to double dip for the pubic hair edition.

willag wrote:
Planetes - I'm curious why this is so low. Have you already seen the series and have some qualms with it? Once again, I told you my opinions in the PM. But this is also Bandai, and so I recommend bumping up higher. Despite my opinions of the ending, I thought that the series was quite good.

I think that I might have become numb to the idea of ever owning it. It also has a slight 'eat your vegetables' aura, although that shouldn't deter me, because ever time I've watched something such a reputation, it has paid off. It also seems slightly less obnoxious to collect than I had thought. Its position merits some reconsideration.

willag wrote:
Priority Score 0
Banner of the Stars
Banner of the Stars II
Crest of the Stars - Have you already seen the three series above and not cared for them? (I should probably take a look at your watched list if you have one. Anime hyper) It's another Bandai release, so I think that it'd deserve some bump up. I bought them at the end of last year, and I'm looking forward to eventually seeing them.

I bought the first two discs of Crest of the Stars from a Suncoast Video some time near the beginning of the century, but never finished it because I got caught up on equivocating over buying the next two single volumes versus the complete collection that had come out. I guess that I must not have felt much of an imperative. I trust its reputation, but there's little underlying urge to see it.

Woo. I think I overdid it. I should take a nap, or maybe just finish Figure 17.

I'm not entirely sure who's supposed to give whom cake in this situation. Maybe I should just cut my losses and offer to buy you some Krimpets. I'm pretty sure that you can't get those where you are, so they'd be exotic foreign imports!

Alan45 wrote:
@ willag
I have been trying to read Kimagure Orange Road that way. Though I don't have a scanlation but rather a text translation and the Japanese hardback volumes. It is a hard way to read something.

I'd do something like that for Reiko the Zombie Shop if anybody could be bothered to produce scanlations of the last five volumes and they weren't out of print in Japan.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote
With Rightstuf advertising their Rental Magica so heavily, I feel as if I'm being bullied into buying it. But it won't work. The show looks to me like rubbish.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, since I find AMVs and anime blogs from people who share similar interests as good inspiration for choosing to watch a show, lemme provide a few (avoiding spoilers as much as I can).

Princess Tutu
This one is already well-known, but I'm gonna post it again. "Hold Me Now": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9197GTl1ASg

Here's another great one! "Danse de Raven": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjooRuCbNmY&feature=related (a little bit more spoilerific, but it still probably won't make a lick of sense).

--

Puella Magi Madoka Magica
I can't really post any worthwhile videos without them having spoilers. This one probably comes closest, since it's a bunch of random clips from the series synced to the music (similar to the popular Princess Tutu AMV), but if you observe closely you can still pick the spoilers up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ8JRfsurt4

No, what I really want to post is this effing awesome video I just found. There is no better convincing argument for me to start getting into the Pretty Girl franchise than this no-effects video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZX2oEc2iuM

--

Beast Player Erin
I wanted to find one that didn't have too many spoilers. This AMV mainly avoids them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRRxXQCGrTY

It's a beautiful series that has a mixture of politics, coming of age, and learning to care for wild animals and their inner nature. We following Erin from a little girl watching her mother being a Beast Player to a young adult who finds her own way. The rest of the world wants to treat the beasts with fear and dominate over them (which is not necessarily for a bad reason, as you find out over time), but Erin doesn't like doing it that way. Both ways come with consequences, though the ending of the series is a happy, uplifting one. It's a good thing that the final novel that came out during or after the series was finished wasn't animated - it has a depressing ending that pretty much follows the negative consequences of Erin's path. D: The length is foreboding, and frankly they probably could have cut the anime length down by a third just removing all of the flashback scenes. But I digress, it's still a good series.

--

Priority Score 3

Baccano!
A Baccano! AMV that avoids spoilers is a bit hard to find. But here's a very entertaining one to the song "Puttin' on the Ritz." Very appropriate. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH6iUAJyY8k

--

[quote="willag"]Magic Knight Rayearth
Well, I can't do much besides showing the English opening to the 2nd season. You'll probably notice a few things that don't look familiar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vND6QbPmFT0

There are actually two openings for the 2nd season, but only one was translated into English. Trying to find that opening video online is a bitch however.

And just to see how different the OVA Rayearth series is: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/members_vidpreview.php?v=109583 (I don't know if you'll be able to see this... you might need to be a member to do so).

Here's another: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROARZcMsOuc

You can't really tell from the second video, but Alcyone, Ascot, Ferio, and Eagle all have their own Mashin, and they fight against Hikaru, Umi, and Fuu. Ferio's the bug man. Laughing

Surrender Artist wrote:
I'll trust that you're able to control for nostalgia well enough to make a sound recommendation.

HAH! That might not be a safe assumption to make.

--

Please Save My Earth
Okay, here's a great AMV that isn't terribly spoilerific. It's hard to tell what's going on beyond the main storyline, if you've read about it at all. And it's emotional. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVqFPDVcE7k

--

Priority Score 2

Fantastic Children
Relative obscurity is one of the reasons I got into this anime. I was going through a point where all I wanted to see was the underrated stuff, and this showed up on several lists, along with Noein and Infinite Ryvius, which is why I watched them all in rapid succession. Also, this blog further convinced me to watch it, and his favorite anime list (several which I still need to check out).

Sadly, there aren't many AMVs for this series (due to its obscurity). However, there is this one multiple editor project (MEP) done by a bunch of French AMV makers that includes a 30 second snippet of Fantastic Children. Basically, each editor chose one anime they wanted to do in this 7-minute long video, and they each had about 30 seconds of the music to focus around a specific theme, "memory". The entire video is gorgeous, so I recommend checking it out (plus there are some other interesting anime in there), but the Fantastic Children part is around the 5 minute mark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwDj7J39FZw

Speaking of Infinite Ryvius, that's another Bandai series you might want to consider picking up. It's basically Lord of the Flies in space, as a bunch of minors get trapped in a space ship after all of the adults sacrifice themselves so that the kids could survive. They try to develop a functioning society, but each form of government they create ends up falling apart. It's an allegory that analyzes different forms of government (aristocracy, democracy, totalitarianism, etc.) that points out the benefits and flaws of each one. However, the series is more than an allegory - it actually takes time and care to develop all of the major key players in this series (and it's a pretty large and diverse cast!). Major kudos for this anime. Major kudos.

--

Surrender Artist wrote:
To be honest, GaoGaiGar has never really interested me. Super (or real, these days) robot stuff never keeps my interest; even if it's fun, the novelty tends to wear off, although I'll concede that I haven't watched much like that in a long while. Still, it doens't seem like my kind of show. Neither does Giant Robo, I guess, but I think that Daryl Surat has incorporated subliminal messages on a subaural frequency into ever episode of Anime World Order that commands me to buy it. It has a certain old school anime auteur quality that is alluring to me.

Understandable. We all have our preferences. However, if you ever wanted to get a feel for some of the inspiration behind Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, I definitely recommend it. If you look at the MAL episode reviews for GaoGaiGar, you'll see that a majority of them are submitted by me (and my comments for each episode can give you some expectations of what to expect).

Speak of which, have you seen TTGL? *looks at your anime list* You have not. *GASP!!!* For shame, sir! We cannot be friends anymore. We just can't. I don't care if you don't like super robot anime - that is no excuse whatsoever.

Okay, I'll give you one more chance... as long as you like Princess Tutu, we can still be friends.

Anyways, I can't show many TTGL videos because they're all spoilerific. Unless if you don't care about spoilers for a show you're not interested in seeing. But here's a funny, non-spoilerific one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnLEBRTtMBs

And here's probably my favorite spoilerific one. Seriously, spoilers galore. There's probably only one major death from the series that isn't shown in the video. Don't watch if that bothers you. (Actually I went into the series already knowing about the major deaths shown in this video... and it still made me tear up! It's the execution that never fails to send chills down my spine. Holy shit episode 26. That's why this series remains in my Top 10 favorite anime). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pMrpSlH8gk

And TTGL is another Bandai series (I just have so many Bandai I like).

--

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
I forgot to mention that this was Bandai as well. So now you know.

Okay, so this one is a more lighthearted take on the film (not that the film is dark and heavy, but it has its dramatic moments and ends on a bittersweet note): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifjCRgHR8nc (shit, I forgot how many hilarious moments there are in the movie Laughing)

All of the more dramatic videos have tons of spoilers, so that will have to do.

--

Priority Score 1

Planetes
An AMV that captures the more sentimental side of Planetes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XuFgOQ0KQM

The official trailer (dramatic): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DakRYsUIiIE

"Eat your vegetables aura"? No such show would have an episode dedicated to SPACE NINJAS or to one of the crew members KICKING ASS AND TAKING DOWN A TERRORIST HIJACKED SATELLITE ALL FOR A F***ING SMOKE. See the beginning of Fee's withdrawal as the universe continually gets in the way of her and her nicotine. Laughing
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Watching all of those AMVs has made me realize how out of step with the musical tastes of anime fans I am. Oh well, at least there are a few Tom Waits ones. This one, which pairs Wolf's Rain with "Rain Dogs" from the album of the same name might only be middling on the whole (I don't know how to judge), but the choice of song is inspired. (Somebody should do a Neon Genesis Evangelion one, or something, set to "God's Away On Business. Wait... does Sesame Street count for AMVs?)

willag wrote:
Princess Tutu
This one is already well-known, but I'm gonna post it again. "Hold Me Now": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9197GTl1ASg

Here's another great one! "Danse de Raven": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjooRuCbNmY&feature=related (a little bit more spoilerific, but it still probably won't make a lick of sense).

Some time I would like to run a crude experiment wherein I show a bunch of people who know nothing about anime those videos and then ask them to pick what show the footage came from out of a list that includes Princess Tutu and maybe some plausible made-up ones just to see if anybody would actually think that something with a title like that could come off as so badass.

willag wrote:
It's a beautiful series that has a mixture of politics, coming of age, and learning to care for wild animals and their inner nature. We following Erin from a little girl watching her mother being a Beast Player to a young adult who finds her own way. The rest of the world wants to treat the beasts with fear and dominate over them (which is not necessarily for a bad reason, as you find out over time), but Erin doesn't like doing it that way. Both ways come with consequences, though the ending of the series is a happy, uplifting one. It's a good thing that the final novel that came out during or after the series was finished wasn't animated - it has a depressing ending that pretty much follows the negative consequences of Erin's path. D: The length is foreboding, and frankly they probably could have cut the anime length down by a third just removing all of the flashback scenes. But I digress, it's still a good series.

It certainly seems as though it lines a lot of elements that would interest me up, especially in the world-building, touches of ambiguity and lead. That's a very alluring set-up. I think that I could tolerate some sluggishness and flashbacks (I'm a Noir fan, after all), but it sounds as though I'd need to be able to have plenty of time when I'm a good, patient mood with security against interruptions to really successfully work my way through it. Perhaps such a time will one day come.

willag wrote:
Priority Score 3

Baccano!
A Baccano! AMV that avoids spoilers is a bit hard to find. But here's a very entertaining one to the song "Puttin' on the Ritz." Very appropriate. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH6iUAJyY8k

Wow, that was something else. The particular version of the song made for an almost surreal effect, although I must still prefer seeing it performed by Hugh Laurie or Peter Boyle.

willag wrote:
And just to see how different the OVA Rayearth series is: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/members_vidpreview.php?v=109583 (I don't know if you'll be able to see this... you might need to be a member to do so).

Here's another: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROARZcMsOuc

You can't really tell from the second video, but Alcyone, Ascot, Ferio, and Eagle all have their own Mashin, and they fight against Hikaru, Umi, and Fuu. Ferio's the bug man. Laughing

That is very different. I had forgotten to list the OVA, even though I would probably have remembered it when it came to ordering it. That story has gotten a surprising number of reinterpretations.

willag wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
I'll trust that you're able to control for nostalgia well enough to make a sound recommendation.

HAH! That might not be a safe assumption to make.

Then you'd best be careful, for there is a price for betraying me. It varies with the market value of the fish, but tends to be steep.

willag wrote:
Please Save My Earth
Okay, here's a great AMV that isn't terribly spoilerific. It's hard to tell what's going on beyond the main storyline, if you've read about it at all. And it's emotional. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVqFPDVcE7k

Well, I have no idea what's going on, but boy howdy are a lot of people crying. Also, there is a giant cat-thing standing upright like a man boss.

willag wrote:
Priority Score 2

Fantastic Children
Relative obscurity is one of the reasons I got into this anime. I was going through a point where all I wanted to see was the underrated stuff, and this showed up on several lists, along with Noein and Infinite Ryvius, which is why I watched them all in rapid succession. Also, this blog further convinced me to watch it, and his favorite anime list (several which I still need to check out).

Neat. I'm actually a nigh-regular reader of Star-Crossed. He caught my interest for liking Birdy the Mighty: Decode and kept it with his ongoing quite sunny opinion of Bodacious Space Pirates.

Maybe that list is where I found Figure 17. Who knows? (By the way, all, the whole series from TRSI for thirty dollars)

That's actually why I have Tweeny Witches on my list. (I'm almost tempted break my policy and refer to it by its Japanese title because... well, come on)

willag wrote:
Speaking of Infinite Ryvius, that's another Bandai series you might want to consider picking up... It's an allegory that analyzes different forms of government (aristocracy, democracy, totalitarianism, etc.) that points out the benefits and flaws of each one. However, the series is more than an allegory - it actually takes time and care to develop all of the major key players in this series...

I hadn't really paid attention to that one before, but it sounds very promising to me. That's a question that I dance with a lot. I think that I might tend to overlook that one because I confuse its title with Infinite Stratos, which is very much not the same thing.

willag wrote:
Speak of which, have you seen TTGL? *looks at your anime list* You have not.

Well, I passed a chance to watch Tenga Toppan Gurren Lagan when it aired on The Sci-Fi Channel (SyFy my ass) because it just seemed too big and dumb and in love with being big and dumb to me. A sort of 'fist pumps and head-butting' doofiness that I wouldn't go far.

willag wrote:
*GASP!!!* For shame, sir! We cannot be friends anymore. We just can't. I don't care if you don't like super robot anime - that is no excuse whatsoever.

Buh... buh... but we was gonna go to the carnival an' ride the tilt-a-whirl an' eat ice cream an' earn the trust of a vagrant, then harvest his organs for sale on the black market for money to buy hookers and blow!

NoooOOOOoooOOOoooo!

willag wrote:
Okay, I'll give you one more chance... as long as you like Princess Tutu, we can still be friends.

I choose to interpret that as an ultimatum!

Oh, if only I hadn't already given you the means to obliterate my very existence.

willag wrote:
And TTGL is another Bandai series (I just have so many Bandai I like).

They did score a lot of hits once upon a time. Such a pity that they had to fall.

willag wrote:
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
I forgot to mention that this was Bandai as well. So now you know.

Okay, so this one is a more lighthearted take on the film (not that the film is dark and heavy, but it has its dramatic moments and ends on a bittersweet note): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifjCRgHR8nc (shit, I forgot how many hilarious moments there are in the movie Laughing)

Remarkably, I hadn't seen any footage from the film before that. I didn't, for whatever reason, expect it to look like that, but I like what I saw. I'd forgotten that Mamoru Hosoda directed it; that raises my interest some. I like his character designs and animation a lot.

willag wrote:
Priority Score 1

Planetes

"Eat your vegetables aura"? No such show would have an episode dedicated to SPACE NINJAS or to one of the crew members KICKING ASS AND TAKING DOWN A TERRORIST HIJACKED SATELLITE ALL FOR A F***ING SMOKE. See the beginning of Fee's withdrawal as the universe continually gets in the way of her and her nicotine. Laughing

Well, that's a higher awesome quotient than I'd've expected out of a series with basic premise that sounds almost prosaic.

I guess that all of the praise and emphasis on its relatively high scientific realism maybe made me think that it's the sort of thing that I'm supposed to watch because its good for me. Then again, I'm borrowing the application of that phrase to anime from Erin Finnegan's review of Galaxy Express 999, which I absolutely love.

this list of predictions based upon my MAL anime list, I should love the crap out out of it. (I predicts that moreso of Haibane Renmei and Legend of the Galactic Heroes, which I do intend to watch, it's just a bit of a 'project')

Maybe I'll have myself set all the way straight after the 'Best of the 00s' ANNCast as I'm sure that the hosts and guests will mention it.

I particularly appreciate the rather considerable effort that you have gone to on my behalf.

And I just realized that I forgot to put Mushishi on my list, which is dumb, because I was immediately intrigued by it when I first read about it, although placing it will be a pain, because some volumes are very hard to find and homey don't play Viridian or SAVE releases unless he can't help it. I also slipped Welcome to the NHK in; that one's vexatious because the first five volumes are abundant and easy to get, even the second volume with the artbox, but volume six seems to be completely extinct. I should probably just get it through my thick head that I'd enjoy Bunny Drop too.

ailblentyn wrote:
With Rightstuf advertising their Rental Magica so heavily, I feel as if I'm being bullied into buying it. But it won't work. The show looks to me like rubbish.

Besides, why rent, when you can own?

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:19 am; edited 2 times in total
EricDent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
OK here are my thoughts on the ones you have not bought:

Priority Score 5
Princess Tutu: Should be in anybodies anime collection IMO.
Great story, fun characters, sometimes very sad, & sometimes outright hilarious (especially Mr. Cat). One of the best dub performances by Luci Christian ever.

Wolf's Rain: Bandai is gone, the price will go through the roof soon, so grab it before it costs a small fortune.

Priority Score 4
Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad: it's now called Mongolian Chop Squad now, probably cause the actual musician named Beck got tired of people requesting songs from this show. The dub (especially the singing) blows the Japanese version out of the water IMO. It's really cheap (the SAVE has a reversible cover), so get it!

Haibane Renmei: With the upcoming re-release, there really is no excuse not to own it. I plan on grabbing it, cause I missed out the first time. Great story, great atmosphere, good characters, and an anime that makes you think.

Spice & Wolf: Only seen the first season. Personally I would hold off until the new release. It's a combo pack (DVD/Blu-Ray) with BOTH seasons.

Priority Score 3
Baccano!: Really?! You don't own this yet? Sure it's pretty violent, and very very bloody. Sure the plot is rather hard to follow sometimes, however it has great characters, a pretty cool look, and one of the best dubs ever.

Cowboy Bebop: OK again Bandai is gone, if you don't jump on this one ASAP it's gonna be really really expensive. Always considered one of the best anime shows ever, with great music & characters.
This should be a required purchase for any anime fan IMO.

Emma: A Victorian Romance: Personally I would wait until a sale.
It's a great story, and a great set of characters. The only major flaw (IMO) is the lack of a dub. The lack of a dub for this title makes ZERO sense, since it's set totally in England...

Galaxy Angel: Covers all of them. Not really worth the time and $ to try to grab all of them, some of which were never dubbed.

Koi Kaze: If you can handle the "creepy" factor of the plot, then go for it. It's OOP, so good luck hunting it down.

Millenium Actress: Another OOP title, it's an amazing movie. Get it ASAP! I think it should have won an Acadamy Award.

Priority Score 2
Azumanga Daioh: This might be going OOP soon, not sure if Section 23 even has the license anymore. It's funny, cute, very heartwarming (and sad when it ends). Great characters, great dub, and really fun to watch. I seriously wish somebody would smack Azuma upside the head for not letting anybody try Yotsuba!

Black Lagoon: Should be a level 5 IMO: One of the best action shows ever. Great characters, amazing dub, and just plain awesome. With the upcoming Re-Release this should be a day one purchase (especially since both seasons come in the Combo Pack).
Now if only they would announce when Roberta's Blood Trail is coming out...and if they can get the dub voices again.

Gunslinger Girl (covers all of it): With the recent Classic Line release having all 3 parts, it's not that hard not to grab it. Should be under $50 (less if you hunt). Great show with a very thought provoking story.

Hellsing Ultimate: Again the re-release will be here soon. That comes with vols. 1-4, and then later 5-8 come out as well. Though no date for 9-10 has been noted. AMAZING dub (yes they are having the rest dubbed with the same voices) it should be watched in English no matter what IMO. Plus it should be noted that the re-releases are Combo Packs (DVD & Blu-Ray). Another must have for any anime fan IMO.

Master Keaton: Way OOP, and rather pricey. The final volume (8) is over $50 used on Amazon. Unless you get really lucky (brag!) and see all 8 at a reasonable price, you might want to pass on it.
It's a good show, just it's very episodic, and sometimes the stories are rather odd. Plus since it's kinda "old" it does cover some rather dated subject matter, also the animation style does look a bit odd sometimes.

My-HiME: Bandai is out of business, so the price will skyrocket. If you liked this, you should grab it while you can.

My-Otome: See My-HiME. Though this one is a tad "darker" in the begining.

Project A-ko FINAL: I say avoid all the sequels to Project A-KO, they are no where as good as the first one.

The Irresonpsible Captain Tylor (Both): Maybe when Right Stuf has a sale on their products. It has a great dub, fun characters, and a fun story. Though even with the OVA it's still an unfinished story.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (includes movie): Bandai is now kaput, so this very very popular show will go through the ceiling pricewise really quickly. So if you liked it, grab it ASAP.

Trigun: Another "must have" title IMO. Great characters, good story (big deal it goes away from the manga), and a good dub. The movie should be included with the purchase, if you do buy it. The new voices (on the dub) match up pretty well to the older voices.

Welcome to the NHK: Yes it's a SAVE (reversible cover), but grabbing all the 6 singles will be rather hard. I had to buy the last one on Right Stuf (that's when it was being released). Very dark humor, but fun characters. Good dub, and overall worth a purchase.

Priority Score 1
All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku (covers all of them): Not sure if Section 23 even has this anymore. It says all of them are OOP on DVDaf. Fun characters, funny story, and a pretty good dub.
Dash is a tad different, but it is worth the time IMO.

Flag: Very underrated anime! As usual since Bandai is going kaput, it's way OOP. So if you have the chance to grab it for a decent price, I say go for it. Though the ending is one of those "slap you in the face" endings...

Outlaw Star: OK why don't you own this yet? It's a great show, sure it has some flaws, but it's very watchable. After the Bandai crash, this will go way up quick, since it's considered a classic.
Just avoid the "sister" show Angel Links at all costs...

Planetes: Another very overlooked show. It has a fun story, good characters, and a fun dub. It makes space seem pretty fun, which IMO NASA needs to do ASAP.

Priority Score 0
Mezzo DSA: Really?! Why a zero? It's not the "naughty" adult version. This show has a very kick-butt amount of action, a bunch of fun & great characters. A very good dub (you will never look at Luci Christian the same after this) and overall worth your time. It might be going OOP soon, so grab it while you can.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm planning on getting Vision of Escaflowne sometime but after seeing some of the remastered version online I was wondering if it was possible to get a copy of that with English subtitles that's not the Japanese release. I suspect the R2 release is way out of my price range, and I don't think Bandai put out the remastered version here, but I was wondering if the UK/Australia had released it by any chance.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:11 am Reply with quote
I've not seen it anywhere over here, but that doesn't mean it wasn't. Check Manga UK, Beez (before they die) and MVM's websites.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 80 of 132