• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Are You Considering Buying?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Nice? Or crazy? Wink

I can't speak for _Emi_ but part of my reasoning for doing this is the assumption that NISA's output is not going to be enormous. They have 4 titles for 2010 and so far have announced 1 title for 2011. I figure I can probably handle 4 premium titles per year. If they start jacking up production beyond that, it may become problematic. The other challenge would be if they pick up a title that I'm just not the slightest bit interested in. I suspect in that case I might have to give up my "get 'em all" mentality.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Planning on buying:

Soul Eater BD
Eden of the East movies BD (maybe, depends on how good it is, will wait for reviews)
Rideback BD (maybe, this one I'll have to preview via Netflix or a stream)
Inital D stages 2-4 DVD (hoping that TRSI will put stages 3 & 4 on sale in their 12 Days promo... that would be nice)
Revolutionary Girl Utena (is this coming out BD? If so, I'll pick that up, depending on price)
Antique Bakery DVD (just waiting for release date, c'mon Nozomi EDIT: their twitter confirmed 2011 release, and news should be coming soon, as they are currently having a contest with a NYC Japanese bakery!)
Durarara!! (maybe, but that price has to come down, first)

And if these ever get BD/DVD releases (as opposed to just streams), I'd snap these up, too:

Cross Game
House of Five Leaves
Ristorante Paradiso
Giant Killing

Last edited by kyokun703 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Rideback doesn't have an announced BD release, just the LE DVD set.

Also, TRSI mentioned nothing of a BD set in their press release when they licensed Utena. And according to the ANNcast he was on, Shawne doesn't seem to be in a hurry to jump on the BD wagon, so I wouldn't get my hopes up. Also, doing a little searching, I don't even think there was a BD release in Japan, although I could be mistaken on that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Nice? Or crazy? Wink

I can't speak for _Emi_ but part of my reasoning for doing this is the assumption that NISA's output is not going to be enormous. They have 4 titles for 2010 and so far have announced 1 title for 2011. I figure I can probably handle 4 premium titles per year. If they start jacking up production beyond that, it may become problematic. The other challenge would be if they pick up a title that I'm just not the slightest bit interested in. I suspect in that case I might have to give up my "get 'em all" mentality.

Definitely nice. Not many can justify spending $40+ for 13 sub only episodes. I applaud this.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:13 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Rideback doesn't have an announced BD release, just the LE DVD set.

Also, TRSI mentioned nothing of a BD set in their press release when they licensed Utena. And according to the ANNcast he was on, Shawne doesn't seem to be in a hurry to jump on the BD wagon, so I wouldn't get my hopes up. Also, doing a little searching, I don't even think there was a BD release in Japan, although I could be mistaken on that.

Oh, strange, I must've misread LE as meaning a BD release. Oh well, I'll still check it out.

As for Utena, no BD is fine, as long as it's been cleaned up like those screenshots someone posted eons ago between the new Japanese release, and the old US release.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, there is a Japanese BD release for Rideback, so you can always hold out for that if you like it after you rent it or whatever. I'm kind of torn myself as to whether I should get the LE DVD now or hold out for a BD release that may never materialize and cause me to lose out on the LE. Decisions, decisions.

And I think the screen comparisons you're looking for are here. Also, it is the remastered version, like it says in the press release I linked to Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:16 am Reply with quote
Planning to buy:

Next Purchase -

Full Metal Panic TSR - Just a matter of time before I pick this up. Recently rewatched/purchased FMP and Fumoffu on Bluray and need this one to wrap up the collection.

In the future -

Rebuild Evangelion 1.11 + 2.22 - Not too sure when I'll be getting these, maybe when 2.22 come out.

Eden of the East Movie 1 - Man some people really ragged on this movie... maybe it was due to expectations I dunno? I personally was alright with it during my first viewing but I really enjoyed it the second time through. Will be buying on bluray.

Initial D Stage 2 - Thanks for someone else mentioning this, I didn't even realize that this was coming over.

FMA Brotherhood - Probably wait till they are all out / funi has a sale again. I know the first set is on sale but I've spent my beans on Code Geass during the Bandai Sale Anime hyper.

Eventually...

Ouran High School Host Club - I'll get this... eventually. This is one of those titles I enjoy enough to buy but the price tag is just too significant for me right now. I realize It came out this year and that $60 or so is about right for a full season, but I do not possess any NEED for this show so this will be put on the back burner for awhile.

Claymore - similar suitation as Ouran. I like this series and should buy it, but I don't need it right now. Will eventually pick up.

Naruto - I really enjoyed the first few seasons of Naruto. I kind of go back and forth about wanting to buy them... but they're pretty cheap now.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Ok people, I have a bit of a crisis going on right now, and hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction.

See, I own Lucky Star in the DVD singles, because I passed on the expensive LE sets at the time because I was short on cash. I then picked up all the CDs recently at the Bandai Store. Now, I'm rolling in it (almost literally) and I notice that nearly all of the Lucky Star LEs are selling for rockbottom prices. Would it be worth it for me to rebuy, since all I would really get out of the deal would be the artboxes and the shirts? Or just settle for the DVDs and be on my way? My OC is starting to act up, and for those prices I would have to be CRAZY not to pick them up. I need some help guys!
_Emi_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I can't speak for _Emi_ but part of my reasoning for doing this is the assumption that NISA's output is not going to be enormous. The other challenge would be if they pick up a title that I'm just not the slightest bit interested in. I suspect in that case I might have to give up my "get 'em all" mentality.

My reasoning is the same: what appears to be a small output. And I will end giving up on collecting everything if their is something I don't care for.

FaytLein wrote:
See, I own Lucky Star in the DVD singles, because I passed on the expensive LE sets at the time because I was short on cash. I then picked up all the CDs recently at the Bandai Store. Now, I'm rolling in it (almost literally) and I notice that nearly all of the Lucky Star LEs are selling for rockbottom prices. Would it be worth it for me to rebuy, since all I would really get out of the deal would be the artboxes and the shirts?

I'd say just get the V.1 LE for the series box since you already have the CDs. The boxes that come with the rest of the LEs are just there to hold the extras and are made of flimsy cardboard. And they are missing V.4 so you'd have to track that down. Unless you really want those shirts.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote
You know, I wrote a nice sized post saying why I wouldn't do it, but maybe you should. Sure you already have the CDs, but the shirts, boxes and covers (including volume 6's) are pretty cool items. Be warned, though, that the shirts are what I'd call perfect mediums, so they may be useless if you can't fit in them, unless, of course, you don't plan on wearing them, but they are comfy; I'm actually wearing mine right now.

So yeah, since you're rolling in it, I'd say go for it. What do you have to lose?
FaytLein

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:53 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
You know, I wrote a nice sized post saying I wouldn't do it, but maybe you should. Sure you already have the CDs, but the shirts and boxes are pretty cool items. Be warned, though, that the shirts are what I'd call perfect mediums, so they may be useless if you can't fit in them, unless, of course, you don't plan on wearing them, but they are comfy; I'm actually wearing mine right now.

So yeah, since you're rolling in it, I'd say go for it. What do you have to lose?

See, I'm not exactly a medium size, so the shirts I guess are right out for wearing around the house. But....not getting all of the LE's with the price being what it is, I would have to be pretty crazy not to do it. So is there a fairly decent demand for single DVDs now, or is it just for complete series? MY OC COMMANDS IT!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:18 pm Reply with quote
@ FaytLein - not that I wanna be an enabler, but if the money isn't a problem, why not? As a fellow collector, I know all about the nagging mental side of things and buying yourself some (temporary) piece of mind is probably worth it.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
See, I'm not exactly a medium size, so the shirts I guess are right out for wearing around the house. But....not getting all of the LE's with the price being what it is, I would have to be pretty crazy not to do it. So is there a fairly decent demand for single DVDs now, or is it just for complete series? MY OC COMMANDS IT!

I'll take them off your hands since I'd like to fill in my box with the singles and take out my complete collection. I can't now since I'm abusing sales at the moment, but I can eventually if you don't get rid of them beforehand. Or I can trade you my big stack of CDs I don't want, although you might already have them all. I may even by some odd chance have something you don't and can give you that, but I find that highly unlikely.

I'll also take the shirts if you can't fit in them.
rhynoo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I have been toying with the idea of double dipping on Eden of the EAst and Ghost Hound on bluray
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I really want:

Tears to Tiars BD
Xam'd BD's
Ghost Hound BD
Legend of the Dark Kings BD
Gunslinger Girl 2 BD
Eden of the East BD (& movies)
Sengoku Basara BD
FLCL BD
Gai Rei Zero BD
Chobits BD
Evangelion 2.22 BD
Escaflowne Complete Series
Gundam Seed Complete series 1 & 2
Gundam 00 seasons 1 & 2
Code Geass seasons 1 & 2
Rurouni Kenshin Complete Series
Blue Drop Complete Series

and much more.....so in other words, way too much stuff Laughing .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 132