• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - The Man With The Power

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My "Pile of Shame" has been slowly growing over the course of several years. It's rather embarrassing to look at it now, knowing how much of it I desperately need to see, but here it is, my list of shows not yet watched.

1. Neon Genesis Evangelion
2. Elfen Lied
3. The second half of the original Fullmetal Alchemist
4. Bartender
5. Giant Killing
6. The last episode of Paranoia Agent (I don't want it to be over!)
7. Any incarnation of Dragon Ball
8. Eden of the East
9. The second half of Soul Eater
10. Perfect Blue

One of these things is not like the other...
PmChivas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Yay! I got printed. Although, I will shamefully admit I have other titles that I should have written about now that I think about it. My Pile O' Shame is actually a mountain of shame. I have stuff from Satoshi Kon that I've never even seen and I call him my favorite Japanese director/writer. Embarassed Well, the good news is I'm not alone. Twisted Evil
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
Why was it so expensive in Japan, anyway? Was it released on solid gold discs or something?

It's over 600 minutes of expensive animation. Yes, it's extremely well animated. Last time I checked for a recently released title at amazon.jp, it cost me well over $400 for a 12 episode direct to disc anime.

Again, this is just another form of import. Keep that in your mind. What they'll do here is instead print a few things in English and that's it.
GVman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I'd assume the high price for the boxset is to prevent reverse importing to Japan by fans who don't want to pay the yen for the Japanese release. It's why they removed the Japanese language track from the MSG TV DVD releases.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Four hundred dollars is a bit rich. Sounds right, that they are only going after the rich and hard core fans with a pricing like that. Pity though. Never heard of the series till I saw the neat banner for it here on ANN.

Sad to say, hoping they fail and their inventory ends up on the bargain bin so the rest of us can afford it. Otherwise we will probably never get another legal chance to own it.

Too much anime pending to be seen. No sense in listing it. Too little time to keep up with it.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:33 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
I'd assume the high price for the boxset is to prevent reverse importing to Japan by fans who don't want to pay the yen for the Japanese release.

Even though the boxset is expensive, its still only about half of what the Japanese boxset costs.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:40 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Sad to say, hoping they fail and their inventory ends up on the bargain bin so the rest of us can afford it. Otherwise we will probably never get another legal chance to own it.

LOL, then I guess you can file it under "never getting a legal chance to own it." If, in the event they are unable to sell the likely small quantity of this boxset they set aside for US release, they can ship them back to Japan and sell them there, since it is the exact same box set, minus the translation for the book thrown in with the US copies. It will have no problem selling there. They have absolutely no reason to send it to the bargain bin.

I think many people fail to understand that just because they hate the price, hate the BD only release, hate the lack of an English dub, doesn't mean this will be a failure for Aniplex. In fact, there's almost no way they can lose money. There is almost no additional cost of production since it is the Japanese release (packaging,discs, everything). The only additional outlay of cash is the booklet with the English translation of the text in the book, shipping the boxes to the US, the cost of the small English website, and whatever the cost of ads like the one placed on ANN is. I'd be really surprised if they spent much more than $5000 or so. It's going to be hard for them not to recoup that. And as I mentioned above, if they don't sell, they can always send them back to where they will sell.

Though there's no reason to believe that there's no chance of an actual US release of KnK in the future, it just won't be anything like this boxset.

Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

Even though the boxset is expensive, its still only about half of what the Japanese boxset costs.

You know, that's been said before, but it really isn't true. It's only true if you're paying MSRP, which no one has to pay unless they really want to. At best, it's only about $50 cheaper than ordering from amazon.co.jp, and if you're in Japan, shipping would eliminate most of that. It's priced precisely to make reverse importation pointless. They would never sell it for half the price it was available for in Japan unless if they wanted to sabotage their own Japanese sales.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
GVman wrote:
I'd assume the high price for the boxset is to prevent reverse importing to Japan by fans who don't want to pay the yen for the Japanese release.

No it's not. The preorder price for the KnK BD on Amazon.jp is about $460, only 60 more than we pay. Even the MSRPs are about the same at $625 for them and $600 for us. If it was half as much as they pay, there would be far less complaints and I'd seriously be considering a preorder myself.

Last edited by The King of Harts on Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
andyos
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Re the idea of a continuation of Nausicaa. I don't think it's likely. One practical problem is that the film has a fairly definite ending, and it would be very hard to get 'from' that into the alternate manga storyline. But a reboot would throw up the same problem as the early episodes of FMA: Brotherhood - going over a lot of practicallly identical story territory, in a way I just can't see Miyazaki doing.

IIRC. Miyazaki also dislikes the idea of manga adaptations in principle, and made Nausicaa into a film because it was his only opportunity to make a feature at that time. (It seems that Nausicaa was _initially pitched as a feature, but when that version was rejected, Miyazaki developed it as a manga, so he didn't much want to turn it into an anime when the chance came round again.)
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:25 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

LOL, then I guess you can file it under "never getting a legal chance to own it." If, in the event they are unable to sell the likely small quantity of this boxset they set aside for US release, they can ship them back to Japan and sell them there, since it is the exact same box set, minus the translation for the book thrown in with the US copies. It will have no problem selling there. They have absolutely no reason to send it to the bargain bin.

I think many people fail to understand that just because they hate the price, hate the BD only release, hate the lack of an English dub, doesn't mean this will be a failure for Aniplex. In fact, there's almost no way they can lose money. There is almost no additional cost of production since it is the Japanese release (packaging,discs, everything). The only additional outlay of cash is the booklet with the English translation of the text in the book, shipping the boxes to the US, the cost of the small English website, and whatever the cost of ads like the one placed on ANN is. I'd be really surprised if they spent much more than $5000 or so. It's going to be hard for them not to recoup that. And as I mentioned above, if they don't sell, they can always send them back to where they will sell.

Though there's no reason to believe that there's no chance of an actual US release of KnK in the future, it just won't be anything like this boxset.

Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

You know, that's been said before, but it really isn't true. It's only true if you're paying MSRP, which no one has to pay unless they really want to. At best, it's only about $50 cheaper than ordering from amazon.co.jp, and if you're in Japan, shipping would eliminate most of that. It's priced precisely to make reverse importation pointless. They would never sell it for half the price it was available for in Japan unless if they wanted to sabotage their own Japanese sales.

Thanks for that informative response. It does make things clearer. This is not a U.S. release, just Aniplex selling the Japanese version in the U.S. Looks like things are going to be bleak for this title, since it is more expensive than a new PlayStation console. Need to win the lottery.
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:39 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Penguin_Factory wrote:
Why was it so expensive in Japan, anyway? Was it released on solid gold discs or something?

It's over 600 minutes of expensive animation.

I think that doesn't make much of a difference, even badly animated series' DVDs/BDs are expensive >< It's just the normal price for Anime DVDs and in this case of course a "Special Edition" BD. Only real Otaku buy their anime on BD xD

And in Japan people can chose between BD Set and cheaper, seperate DVDs for each movie.

Quote:
Yes, it's extremely well animated.

Actually, considering it's a movie series for cinema, the animation isn't really that special. The action scenes are nice, but there are also a lot of slow scenes with characters talking forever and barely anything moving at all. (It's mostly the colors and backgrounds that make the whole thing look really good imho.)
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:15 pm Reply with quote
@ Anime World Order I read your writeup on Cowboy Bebop and I have to say it is VERY GOOD. It was very informative and so-true. I do have to disagree with you on one little thing though: I think there is an anime classics preferance, the ones that if you're an anime fan you have to see, but the problem is, is that some fans just don't. It may have to do with antagonism with the previous generation, but I see it more as just ignorance. Many of the new generation of anime fans are too preoccupied with Naruto, Bleach, Vampire Knight, and any other Shonen Jump/Shojo Beat melodrama. Other than that little bit, your writeup was great.

It really is a shame that there are some anime fans that are unfamiliar with greats like Cowboy Bebop, they don't know what they're missing. But on the one hand, I don't mind too much. Some of these newer fans make a big deal out of anime and create so much unnecessary hype, I would hate it if that happened to something like Cowboy Bebop or Trigun or something. It would ruin it for me. So, I get to have these great anime to myself, and not have to worry about what the fans think of it, simply because they are so oblivious.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't have any interest in Kara no Kyokai (never really heard of it before the announcement a week or so ago), but, if Aniplex used a similar only-slightly-lower-price-than-the-Japanese-version strategy for their Kamichu! TV series, I'd probably go for it (as long as it has subtitles, which the Japanese Blu-Ray box lacks).

Obviously, I'd prefer to pay less than more for anime on Blu-Ray, but, considering that all of the anime I like from the past decade or so ranges from rather niche to unlikely-ever-to-be-licensed-in-North-America niche, if I want to buy the anime I like on Blu-Ray, paying significantly more than what I'd pay for a DVD Thinpack of the same anime will be the only option.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I have not seen Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Am I ashamed? No. There just hasn't been a legal way for me to watch it.

There are other older shows, and "sorta'" older shows that I would love to see, but aren't getting the buzz that the newer shows get. The only option for these older shows is fansubs. For various reasons, I don't/can't watch fansubs. I wish someone would stream these shows somewhere, ad supported. They could get a little revenue, rather than the big zip they are getting now...

edited to add: Those KnK prices? Those are for the portion of people who kept saying, "Now if the Japanese would get their act together and start releasing stuff in the U.S. at the same time as the Japanese release..." --Yeah, that portion of anime buyers are going to buy it.

The other people who were saying that and don't buy it were probably either just making excuses for *cough*downloading*cough*, or are really seeing the true cost of having their wishes granted.

I can't say that I fall into any of those categories. I am pretty patient, and I DO buy anime. However, I can't see even considering paying the current KnK prices without seeing at least some of it first. The Japanese got the better deal in that respect. They got to see it in the theaters or on television. It would be nice if they could give some of us the same opportunity by streaming it here on ANN for a limited time for a small viewing fee. Like what NIS is doing with Toradora and Persona.

Last edited by tuxedocat on Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Garden of Sinners (I haven't seen more than 15 minutes of the first movie, so I'm going on knowledge of the series I've gathered through fandom osmosis) is an oppressively dark, dense story filled with characters who commit suicide and murder and rape each other with a looming sense of dread and despair hanging heavily over every scene. Fullmetal Alchemist this ain't.

Do you remember Fullmetal Alchemist?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3