• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Amnesia (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:53 pm Reply with quote
you know, before watching this, I though Utapri was stupid and Haruka kinda bland and was probably going to avoid the second season. this show has taught me it could always be worse, and now I'm looking forward to season 2.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 Final

spoiler[Murderous Ukyo was pretty scary.
I liked his normal side way more.
His emotional reactions kept switching between his personalities.
That made it harder to figure out when he's good/bad.
I never thought he would be capable of such a personal sacrifice.]

At least this time they explained some things.
Good final episode.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:42 pm Reply with quote
You know what?
Screw all the other boys, OrionxHeroine is the TRUE OTP of this series. Anime hyper Don't ask me how a relationship between them would work...but spoiler[he was the only character the heroine cried over!]

.......oh so THAT'S what the other song on the Zoetrope single was for.
It's a nice song...but not as good as the OP or ED...
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm speechless as to how dumb this ending was.

spoiler[1. We've both died millions of times in unknown timelines for unknown reasons
2. Sweet scene with an apparent happy ending
3. Indo-dump, since 12 episodes were incapable of fixing anything
4. Magical solution to everything
5. We're supposed to guess which of the guys she stays with?]

This series is not only one of the most confusing and convoluted I've watched in a while, the conflict doesn't get solved at all, and, opposed to usual harem, she doesn't keep all the guys, but only one and we're left to just guess which one. This is a failure in so many levels it annoys me. Gah, I don't even have the energy to be angry anymore
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

So it is finished, and in a way that everything is apparently spoiler[magically solved by something with very little foreshadowing], and that she apparently happily spoiler[chose one of the worlds to live in. With her being as dull as she is we have no idea which guy she chose, out of Angsty, Frosty, Cagey, Chickmanget, and Nutty]. Hey there was Orion also, but he really was pretty useless, I don't think he was much use except pointing out the obvious.

I rated the series as Bad, I can't recomend this series unless I wanted to show something bad. Though somepeople enjoyed this according to some comments, so it is likely a better choice for people more in tune with the target audience. But as a early 20s male who watches plenty of harem anime, this was not my thing.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:10 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
guy she chose, out of Angsty, Frosty, Cagey, Chickmanget, and Nutty

Anime hyper

HAHAHAHA those sound like DWARF names...and Orion can be Shorty. :3
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I suppose if I could have thought of a something as amusing as Chickmagnet that matched the theme, we could go the whole 7 and have the manager as Boss to fill the Doc spot.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:55 pm Reply with quote
How about "Flirty" instead of Chickmagnet? Anime hyper
The manager can be "Switchy" because he kept changing!
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I rated the series as Bad, ...

The experience of watching Amnesia through the end has actually been useful for me. It has inoculated me against the temptation to watch any other series based on a girl's-perspective dating sim.

The last episode was a total train wreck, cheap cop-out. They introduce for the first time some super-being character (Neil? Seriously, Neil? Was Clyde busy or something?) that spoiler[steps in and fixes everything at the last minute, and it couldn't before because the girl-twit at the center of this hadn't yet exerted her] miraculous inner-strength thing whatever it was I'm not sure.

And who in their right mind when needing to escape a burning building runs upstairs from the ground floor?

It is hard to imagine what they could have done that was worse. Had they turned it into a full H production where somehow doing it with all the male characters somehow generated psychic energy to restore the world, that would have been an improvement.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:26 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
The experience of watching Amnesia through the end has actually been useful for me. It has inoculated me against the temptation to watch any other series based on a girl's-perspective dating sim.

That is a little unfair, personally I am interested in seeing it done right, the issues could be solved if they created a more interesting main character, less creepy (or more useful) love interests, and put more thought into a coherent story.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
HaruhiToy wrote:

That is a little unfair, personally I am interested in seeing it done right, the issues could be solved if they created a more interesting main character, less creepy (or more useful) love interests, and put more thought into a coherent story.

THIS.

I haven't watched any other otome game anime besides this one....mainly because Amnesia was the first one where I looked at the character designs and said "ooh, pretty". Anime hyper

I'm sure it's not impossible to make a good otome game anime if Key is able to make fantastic seinen game anime.
rheiders

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I also think it's kind of unfair to dismiss otome game adaptations as a whole since this one was probably the worst one I've ever had the displeasure of watching xD Granted, none of the ones I've seen have been masterpieces, but some of them are pretty decent and non-creepy.

La Corda d'Oro was decent, especially if you like classical music. Kahoko isn't the most interesting protagonist ever, but she does have an actual personality and makes actual choices (pretty sad how that's a glowing endorsement compared to this POS). They also manage to put the little guide character to good use, and a couple of the guys have genuinely interesting non-romantic routes (this one does the Key thing and makes most of the routes platonic). Though there's plenty of romance and hijinks, the focus of the story is usually on the music competition and Kahoko slowly developing a true passion for learning the violin. Uta no Prince-sama is dumb, campy, colorful fun, and so far Hakuouki isn't awful, though it is a bit dry. I think the best one I've ever seen was actually a manga, though--Alice in the Country of Hearts has a pretty solid adaptation. Alice is a very likable, smart protagonist who manages to be relatable without being a blank slate. Actually, that one is pretty much everything I wanted this one to be--it's dark, sinister, and weird, but in this case it's clearly intentional, and it's actually interesting. There are some creepy guys in the mix, but they are treated as such and Alice (and the story as a whole) recognizes the behavior as disturbing and unhealthy. This is Wonderland, after all. Everyone's got some pretty terrible secrets. Alice is more interested in figuring out what the heck is wrong with Wonderland than romance, which is nice.

EDIT: Oh hey, 400th post. Wait...I wasted my 400th post on this? xD
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I dont understand why she had to lose her memories before she started world hopping. what purpose did that serve? Was evil Ukyo really just spoiler[Neil]? someone rated this as a masterpiece, as for me it gets a Bad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 16 of 16