• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Diary of a Mad Woman

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:36 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Sepherest wrote:
No mention of Penguin Drum's english dub?
From what I've heard online it's pretty bad, which is a shame because the series is fantastic.

It's a tolerable dub. Not exceptional in any big way, but it does the job without producing cringes.

Shoma and Kanba's VAs don't really handle the curves, the emotionally charged moments, that well, is the biggest problem. Even some of the secondary characters feel more intuned to their roles. However, it is Monica Rial and Emily Neves who completely dominate any presence in the English track as Himari and Ringo respectively. They start off a bit rough, but once things really get moving, they really feel natural.

Anyway, I'm a pretty big fan of the show. Somehow I never saw Utena, but I really enjoy the style of Penguindrum and enjoy trying to unlock its mysteries.

I agree with you. Monica and Emily, I think, are the best in the dub. Shouma's voice fits, but he isn't too good with emotional parts. Kanba's voice (to me) doesn't fit and on top of that I don't like the acting. And those are just the mains. On top of everything the script doesn't help much either. Some stuff they said just made me want to facepalm lol.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely adore Penguindrum. I cannot wait to get my copy in the mail. The first half is very enjoyable, but IMO the second half of the series is what makes it truly memorable.

A bad dub script from Steven Foster? No. I hope the dub is at least tolerable; I do not enjoy watching longer series subbed.

EDIT: I just looked at the English voice cast, and the fact that Greg Ayers is not voicing any main character has to be good news, right?
skyreno4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy it Penguindrum, To me the Dub was Good also every cast did great job, i can't wait for the second part to come, i got no problems with steven foster, each title he in. shelf worthy yes
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I really want to check out Penguindrum, but there have been so many great titles released lately that my anime budget is nil. Does anyone know where I can legally watch it in America? I really want to see what all the hype's about. Thanks!
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Haven't listen to the Dub on my copy yet but, I'm just glad I own watch Penguin Drum. It took me until ep. 3 for me to be hooked to the show. Mainly because the whole "God is a total jerk" at the beginning had too much angst. Visually stylish and plenty of tongue-in-cheek humor, it's one my favorites from 2011.

There are a few elements from Utena that still pop up: roses, fate, the Takarazuka, the "Greek chorus", spoiler[yuri, incest,], debunking fairy tales, and, of course, spoiler[pulling things out of people's chest.]

@here-and-faraway
The Anime Network is playing it but only the first episode is free.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I was happy to see that another anime collector out there has a few cels. Nice Battle Athletes cel, David.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm usually a dub fan, so I'm sure I'll find it at least watchable, but I hate to hear when a dub is bad ... Sentai is definitely not as polished on dubbing as Funimation, and I'm just not sure why since there is some actor overlap there ... maybe Sentai just doesn't budget for enough direction or takes.
Kohii

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:14 am Reply with quote
Didn't like Kanba's VA at all (That "Screw that!" line in the first episode sounded pretty flaky). Himari's and Ringo's were fine.
trilaan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:31 am Reply with quote
I'd love to submit a pic of my own collection to Shelf Life. But I placed all my DVD's into about a dozen 360 DVD-capacity cases a while back. Those cases are not very photogenic.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:41 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I absolutely adore Penguindrum. I cannot wait to get my copy in the mail. The first half is very enjoyable, but IMO the second half of the series is what makes it truly memorable.

A bad dub script from Steven Foster? No. I hope the dub is at least tolerable; I do not enjoy watching longer series subbed.

Don't worry, it wasn't a show that he gave one of those infamous, full-on "Fosterizations" to. It is actually extremely faithful to the subtitle script provided, so much so that, if one were to still be really critical, they could say it was a "lazy" adaptation. It could, and maybe should, be questioned if the subtitle could be some "strange hybrid" between the English & Japanese script. Is it possible for such a thing to have happened, that we got a more-off-the-mark-than-it-should-have translation, or did Foster really stick so closely to the script provided him courtesy of an independent translator?

Anyway...Having seen the entire dub of the first set twice over(!), there may be some lines that sound off, but a few them sound better in context. For example, Shoma(?) exclaims "What the heck?!" instead of saying "What the hell?", which some may think is too safe and old-fashioned, but... definitely isn't old-fashioned for me to say it. There's the "You perverted pervert" line on the subway, but considering it's said by the tanned gossiping girlfriend of Ringo who doesn't look particularly bright to begin with, it didn't seem so off-kilter in context.

And regarding that question of how tolerable the dub acting in of itself is, I'd say it is, if not good-not-great as a whole. Himari's & Ringo's (and Masako's, I might add) were great, while Shoma and Kanba were fine enough for me as well. There were definitely flaky bits with some of Kanba's lines, but not for lack of trying. Having exposed myself to snippets of some of Guardiola's other performances, it turned out better than I was expecting, managing to hide his accent decently enough from me to not make it an issue the vast majority of the time, and convinces me more as a Kanba than not. I definitely felt the effort he put into a role. That said, I still find it to be a strange casting decision for the character. Were there really no other decent alternative, veteran actors out of Sentai's talent pool in the Houston area? Might they have actually been too busy with other projects?

Quote:
EDIT: I just looked at the English voice cast, and the fact that Greg Ayers is not voicing any main character has to be good news, right?
It was for me, anyway; I really liked him in BECK, but seeing some of his other stuff, I feel that if he had voiced Shouma, he'd make Shouma sound more annoying, not to mention less lovable as a character for my older sister.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:32 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
I'm usually a dub fan, so I'm sure I'll find it at least watchable, but I hate to hear when a dub is bad ... Sentai is definitely not as polished on dubbing as Funimation, and I'm just not sure why since there is some actor overlap there ... maybe Sentai just doesn't budget for enough direction or takes.

A lot of times a dub is bad because of stuff that doesn't have much to do with the actors, like the script or direction. The same actors are naturally going to sound better if they've got better lines to read or if they're given better direction and/or the director picks better takes. Funimation's biggest strength is their scriptwriting IMO, they know how to make a dub enjoyable to watch.

(of course, sometimes a character's poorly dubbed just because the actor isn't that good, but I don't think that happens as often as people think. The actors are just the most obvious ones to blame.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:43 am Reply with quote
The dub is good to ok it's a mixed bag. I have only seen 2 episodes of it btw.
The brothers I thought did really well the problem is some of the girls. himari and her penguin friend especially do not work well. I understand wanting to use the same actor for both roles but it fails really badly neither character really gets an actor that fits and I blame the directing for that choice not the actor.
then you get our new best friend ringo she sounds really good at times, but at others it just doesn't really fit for me and I am slightly worried about later on.I would also agree that the script writing it needs work for this dub a little bit, it's the same exact as the subs with occasional filler words added in at times, which would work with I felt sentai could edit their subs better in the first place, but I avoid their sub only releases because of the editing in a lot of them.

I would still say that it is not a bad script or even edited poorly (YAY!) but it is not a localization like funimation would have done and might have helped at points, it's still a fair dub though I would not call it bad and would hesitate to call it just ok.

Last edited by Tanteikingdomkey on Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:52 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:49 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:

I have noticed this with all of Sentai's shows. I think it is the direction (or lack of it) personally. Even actors who I normally enjoy sound bad in most of Sentai's stuff (like they are just reading the lines and not acting). That mixed with strange localization choses and constant mispronunciation of characters names and places (often mispronounced differently be each person) makes my heart sink a little when ever then pick up a show I really like. But it's still better then the show not getting picked up at all, and there is always the origin language option (well except for those Blu-rays of Persona 4).

Anyways I really liked Penguindrum, it reminded me of Utena in a lot of ways, but I think it is defiantly easier to "get" then Utena is. In my anime club we watched Utena and I think I was the only one who really liked it. Most complained that it didn't make sense, and was too abstract. I think almost everyone wanted to drop it, but I kind of made them watch it all...

(yeah so I may have abused my power a little, but I'm sure they will thank me for it some day).
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:18 am Reply with quote
Even though I've only seen the first episode of Penquindrum, it's the first Sentai inhouse dub that doesn't make me want to jab pencils in my ears. Metaphorically, for the most part but I've been watching the Samurai Girls dub at the same time {Luci Christian's awesome though but whatever at this point. Everyone else seems to be one character over}. So...

No David Matranga in the lead, yeah!
Hillary Haig in the Hillary Haig role {guess who}? Not here.
Having someone who can do more than voice, doing more than one voice. Sounds obvious but, yeah...

It gets choppy, there are mispronouciations, it's sloppy, it's... trademarks of the studio. As long as there's no intolerable accents, this one goes down as a "win" in my book.
N.R.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:44 am Reply with quote
Wow, Penguindrum is shelf worthy? Really? Even though it completely falls apart in the latter episodes? Oh, well. To each his/her own taste.

I wonder how Dream Eater Marry is in comparison to The World Only God Knows. They seem to be fairly similar in direction and execution, but I didn't like TWOGW that much so it would be nice if someone could tell me if DEM is better or not.

Speaking of telling me, can someone please explain the concept of "uneven tracing"? I tried asking my most knowledgeable friends (Google and Wikipedia) about it but they didn't have a clue what that means...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4