• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Berserk (TV 1997).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:18 am Reply with quote
I'll just ask this here rather than making another thread. What is the relation between the Berserk series and the new movies? Sequel? Remake? etc. I'd like to know if they go further into the manga's material than the series does.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:29 am Reply with quote
Remake. They cover the same material. There was talk that they could be followed by an adaptation that would cover new material but I haven't heard anything about that recently.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Okay thanks, guess I won't bother with it then.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:15 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Remake. They cover the same material. There was talk that they could be followed by an adaptation that would cover new material but I haven't heard anything about that recently.

I believe it's been confirmed in interviews with producers that production of new material will continue as long as it is intelligent to do so from a business vantage point. The introduction to each of the films thus far suggests this as well, considering they show characters that were never previously introduced in the series. New material should start in movie 3 with the spoiler[eclipse and introduction of Skull Knight]

Stand alone, the anime is really unsatisfying. It's just a massive advertisement to interest the viewer into reading the manga (I'm a walking success in that regard). The Golden Age arc is great, and some fans regard it as the best arc in Berserk; but it's not like it stops being great right at spoiler[the Eclipse]. I just want Miura to hurry up and finish the damn thing before he or the rest of us kick the can. His pacing is horrid, he usually takes months with his breaks and then releases 3-5 chapters only to take another 6 month break right after.

Damn you Miura! Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Kirkdawg on Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
I believe it's been confirmed in interviews with producers that production of new material will continue as long as it is intelligent to do so from a business vantage point.

When exactly was this? If it was more recent then that is a good sign. But still, that's pretty much the epitome of non-commitment. If this was an open ended, ongoing OVA or something I'd feel more optimistic. But right now they've just announced the movie trilogy. Until they actually announce something more I'm skeptical.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Remake, and for me generally unsatisfying. They do add a little more at the end then what you find in the tv show. I'm almost inclined to say own the tv show and the last movie. The show ended abruptly, so with the final movie you can have a more satisfactory ending. I didn't really care for the first two movies.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:08 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Kirkdawg wrote:
I believe it's been confirmed in interviews with producers that production of new material will continue as long as it is intelligent to do so from a business vantage point.

When exactly was this? If it was more recent then that is a good sign. But still, that's pretty much the epitome of non-commitment. If this was an open ended, ongoing OVA or something I'd feel more optimistic. But right now they've just announced the movie trilogy. Until they actually announce something more I'm skeptical.

Right when the first film was about to be released, executive producers were doing TV interviews with entertainment reporters in Japan. So it's been a couple of years, it's possible their business strategy has changed. There's certainly no guarrente they will animate the whole series, but I am hopeful.
By_the_Jelly_Beans?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
Stand alone, the anime is really unsatisfying. It's just a massive advertisement to interest the viewer into reading the manga (I'm a walking success in that regard). The Golden Age arc is great, and some fans regard it as the best arc in Berserk; but it's not like it stops being great right at spoiler[the Eclipse]. I just want Miura to hurry up and finish the damn thing before he or the rest of us kick the can. His pacing is horrid, he usually takes months with his breaks and then releases 3-5 chapters only to take another 6 month break right after.

Damn you Miura! Evil or Very Mad[/spoiler]

Same here. Started reading the manga after the anime because I actually loved the anime and wanted to know what happened. But after so many volumes I want it to be finished so you don't have this epic story without any ending.
And then by some miracle they can extend the movies to cover the entire mange series.
The Skull Knight

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:13 pm Reply with quote
essentially I believe this whole work to be a critique of this man

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Nietzsche

and his perverted philosophy which has damaged the world with it's existence.

my reasoning for this lay in the following observations:

-causality and determinism refute the will to power.

-the God hand represents a perversion of the master morality.

-gatsu fits the mold perfectly ,after the eclipse, of the rancor associated with the slave morality along with the resentment that it embodies.

-the eclipse is an allegory for anti-enlightenment as the light from the sun is blocked which is contingent with the fact that Nietzsche's work was drawn from the sophists (pre-socratics) which in their essential gist was that there is no truth, or argument for arguments sake, plato's theory of the forms was ignored.

-the skull knight, embodies the truth of the argument which can be seen objectively from any historian, that life is a struggle at the core of it's being.

-the fact that Nietzsche encouraged suffering for those who hope to in the end be better for it is refuted by the torture of Griffiths and the consequences of his sacrifice to become master.
symbolism:

-Void represents malignant narcissism in charge, his eyes are sewn shut meaning he embraces the darkness.

-the brand represents social stigmas which are used to destroy people by malignant narcissists in charge, this can be akin to a false diagnosis by a psychiatrist, or any other permanent mark given by a false authority, which then allows the mufti-formed monsters. to consume the stigmatized (keep in mind that freud drew on Nietzsche heavily and possible co morbidly encouraged the existence of the philosophy )

-The God Hand, is a perfect allegory for mass media and its effects on people in manufacturing their consent to genocide/war which means the monsters are the people controlled by the media, which are the distributors of stigmas and false truths, they are reality warping demons.

-the skull knight represents the fact that life at it's core is a struggle, and the fact that he comes through the blocked sun means he also represents enlightenment, the anti-thesis of the darkness.
gatsu's sword and it's size are an allusion to the power of an alpha male's intuition in cutting through the bullshit(it ain't about dicks, sorry freudians)

so basically the media controls/manipulates people into sacrificing those that mattered most to them, and they become monsters, imbued with artificial success due to the fact that determinism predestined them for it, that need to be destroyed so that purity can reclaim the land.

what do you guys think about this work?

[EDIT: Retitled your thread and added paragraph breaks to make your post legible. I'll forgive the non-usage of capital letters, but please at least try to use paragraph breaks in the future. -TK]
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Beserk was good. I expected a genre defining breakthrough based on everything people were saying about it, but that's obviously not the case.

In terms of bloodlust, gore, and sex it's up there but not overly shocking. Maybe I was already desensitized going into it. I never liked Guts as a character as much as I should have.
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I need the thing you're smoking, like, now.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, it definitely hard to watch Berserk and not think of Nietzsche. But yeah, I find your point form notes relatively impenetrable.

My biggest take away from Berserk is that it is an epic saga of unconsummated homoerotic love.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Cool story bro.

But sometimes an anime is just an anime.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. I've never specifically studied Nietzsche so I have no particular response. Will keep this in mind if I ever have the opportunity.

My general understanding though, is that he is rather difficult to parse as a single outlook since there was never really much of a coherent system to his works as a whole. It probably didn't help that he struggled with a number of physical and mental health issues concurrent to writing some of his most well known and iconic works either. It makes it tough to know at what point he started to lose it.
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:18 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
It probably didn't help that he struggled with a number of physical and mental health issues concurrent to writing some of his most well known and iconic works either. It makes it tough to know at what point he started to lose it.

His philosophy while difficult to read at times (completely unexceptional in this regard) is lucid. That becomes clear enough when you read his books and know the context of his ideas. He was physically ill since childhood, but whether he had any mental problems before the breakdown is up for debate.

It's also wrong to say that he didn't have a "coherent system". He was much less comprehensive than most of the philosophers of his time, but that goes together with his philosophy that criticizes philosophers for their focus on creating universal, logically sound systems to cover all the fields of philosophical enquiry, the whole "anti-enlightenment" deal. This lack of comprehensiveness means that there are differing opinions about many of his ideas. For example, he criticizes prevalent ethics, both philosophical and religious, but he doesn't denounce its value altogether. It's however hard to reconstruct from his words what his positive moral philosophy might be apart from it being "life-affirming".

I don't know how this is supposed to relate to Berserk though. Guts actively opposes determinism as enforced by God Hand and we still don't know Griffith's master plan. Void's appearance is most likely a reference to Barker's Cenobites. Eclipse as an allegory to counter-enlightenment is also far-fetched. Solar eclipse is a popular metaphor or a motif for otherworldly or world-changing events and Skull Night crushing through it might simply represent hope. While Griffith can be broadly defined as belonging to higher men, some his actions leading to and during Eclipse are clearly a result of ressentiment towards Guts. While Guts resentment is purely revenge based and isn't accompanied by a sense of inferiority or imagined blame, so I don't think it qualifies as ressentiment in the way Nietzsche thought of it. So we can't exactly assign one or other character as representatives of master and slave morality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10