• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Delays Chobits & DBZ Boxes, One Piece Disc

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:47 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:

'I'd say that's one major advantage the Dragon Box Sets have, they're remastered wide-screen videos. Kai won't be in wide-screen format and that kinda sucks.'

This is false. The Dragon Box Sets are in the original TV format (4:3), NOT widescreen. The previous season boxes were in widescreen (and also have marathon mode), and Kai is in widescreen IIRC.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:55 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:

I'd say that's one major advantage the Dragon Box Sets have, they're remastered wide-screen videos. Kai won't be in wide-screen format and that kinda sucks.

The Japanese Blu-ray release of Kai wasn't in 16:9.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I prefer watching DBZ over Kai for nostalgic reasons...and no Hironobu Kageyama/Shunsuke Kikuchi. The filler doesn't bother me as much as it does others and the pacing I've just come to terms with after watching how much of a rush job Kai feels production wise despite how decent the pacing is. It's basically Zeta Gundam: A New Translation all over again. Maybe even worse.

The Dragon Boxes are essentially the collector's version of the series to get if you don't have any personal attachment to the dub broadcast version. The 4:3 remastered picture and nifty Dragon Book extra with random tidbits and facts related to the show broadcast period in Japan.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote
decepticons2 wrote:
Will there be anything better on the chobits bluray or if i have the DVD don't bother? I understand it will be higher resolution but considering it will still be the same art from the original I can't see much improvement.

There is not currently a Blu-ray release of Chobits in Japan, and none has been announced. That being the case, I think that it's almost a guarantee that Funimation's Blu-ray release will be an upscale. Also, having come out in 2002, I believe that Chobits was done in a time frame that it wouldn't have been done on film but wouldn't have yet been done in HD, so I very much doubt that a true HD release in even possible.

That being said, the video on the Blu-ray could be an improvement over the DVD. There are definitely cases with some of Funimation's releases where the Blu-ray looks better than the DVD, and it's an upscale. Blu-ray allows for higher bitrates, and they may be smarter about filters and the like. There's also a high chance that the video is actually progressive rather than interlaced, so it will have been de-interlaced or de-telecined with professional equipment rather than your Blu-ray player or TV, unlike with the DVD, so the result will likely be somewhat better in that respect.

However, we're talking about video which would then be somewhat clearer and sharper but not drastically so. It doesn't get an increase in detail. And honestly, the type and quality of Chobits' artwork doesn't strike me as the kind that would look all that much better even if they did have an actual HD version. So, odds are, it won't be worth buying on Blu-ray if you already have it on DVD if you're just looking for better video.

Personally, I want everything on Blu-ray that I can, and I definitely want as much of my video to be progressive as possible so that I don't have to rely on the de-interlacing software on my computer to do a good job, so I'm going to be picking it up on Blu-ray at some point even though I already have it on DVD. But if you're picking it up for a large quality boost, I expect that you'll be disappointed. We'll have to wait for it to come out and for people to actually see it and post about it before we'll know what quality level the video will actually be at though.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:15 pm Reply with quote
hm, what's going with Funimation and the delay with their DVD release. I hope it's not defect or some issue.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TopGunman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

This is false. The Dragon Box Sets are in the original TV format (4:3), NOT widescreen. The previous season boxes were in widescreen (and also have marathon mode), and Kai is in widescreen IIRC.

Whichever set it was, the point is that the first series was released in widescreen on DVD.

I recall reading one of the reviews for the Kai series stating that it's not in widescreen. But if the DVD release of Kai will be in anamorphic widescreen then that's great.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Oh noes. How will I ever find out how the Cell arc ends without Dragon Box 5?

(Seriously though, it's a bit aggravating, the Cell Games are my favorite episodes of the show, and I want them in Dragon Box quality like you wouldn't believe.)

Well, with so much coming out in 2011 that I want (Eva 2.22, more FMA: Brotherhood, FLCL license rescue, Turn A Gundam, The Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya), it's good to have a little more time to recoup the penguintruth economy. I may have to borrow from China.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:31 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman,

I was wrong about DB Kai. It's also in 4:3 format. I wasn't at home when I made my previous post, but I am now and I'm looking at the Blu-ray box. So, both the Dragon Box and Kai are 4:3 aspect ratio.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:55 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
hm, what's going with Funimation and the delay with their DVD release. I hope it's not defect or some issue.

The King of Harts wrote:
Obviously none of you guys pay attention to the Retail Forum. I make that guess based on the idea that none of you have seen the February and March Solicitations and how FREAKING HUGE they were (they were a lot bigger, but there have been other delays). The reason these are delayed are most likely because Funimation made their schedule way too front heavy, meaning they needed to spread some stuff out to the second quarter, not because of their manufacturer. If anything, they're doing buyers a favor by not loading up the first three months of the year, because you can now spread out the money you spend.

I agree with KOH on this, I think that because Feb and March are so heavy with releases (33 to 34 if you count a series Blu-ray and DVD release as one release) that moving this is will be a smart move not as to bog it down with all of those releases at that time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
E-Master

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
So, I need to wait longer to see the G-8 Saga of One Piece. That's very tempting cause that's one of my favorite story arcs that wasn't in the manga. Well least Season 3 Volume 4 is coming up.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:23 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

The King of Harts wrote:
Obviously none of you guys pay attention to the Retail Forum. I make that guess based on the idea that none of you have seen the February and March Solicitations and how FREAKING HUGE they were (they were a lot bigger, but there have been other delays). The reason these are delayed are most likely because Funimation made their schedule way too front heavy, meaning they needed to spread some stuff out to the second quarter, not because of their manufacturer. If anything, they're doing buyers a favor by not loading up the first three months of the year, because you can now spread out the money you spend.

I agree with KOH on this, I think that because Feb and March are so heavy with releases (33 to 34 if you count a series Blu-ray and DVD release as one release) that moving this is will be a smart move not as to bog it down with all of those releases at that time.

Oh, never thought of that. Shocked
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:38 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

The King of Harts wrote:

Oh, never thought of that. Shocked

Well that is what KOH thinks, I am thinking the same way, but of course that may not be the case. However if you asked me to put money on it, that is what I would go with.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:10 am Reply with quote
This news is terrible, I hope we get One Piece Season Four: First Voyage in Summer or Fall 2011!
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:19 am Reply with quote
Baby Naruto wrote:
This news is terrible, I hope we get One Piece Season Four: First Voyage in Summer or Fall 2011!

That is if they even have Season Four.
gwdone

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Chiiiiiii?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3