• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 10 Tearjerkers That'll Empty the Tissue Box

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the wired knight

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Karisu wrote:
The lack of Clannad is literally criminal.
Literally.

Someone doesn't know what "literally" means!

Jesus Christ thank you! I know so many people that somehow seem to not understand what literally means! It for lord only knows what reason it lately is getting more and more mixed up with either "metaphorically" or is (for no good reason) being used as a substitute for "really" or another form of general emphasis.

Unless there is some actual federal law I've missed that makes it a crime to not list Clannad on an anime tearjerkers list.

as for scenes that I also think could make a list

Fushigi Yuugi spoiler[Nuriko's death]
Berserk's final episode
One Piece spoiler[the scuttling of the Going Merry! And it's just a boat! Also Ace]
Gankutsuou spoiler[Franz's death]

Last edited by the wired knight on Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Doomroar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:01 pm Reply with quote
he my mom would like to post a list of her own tearjerkers Anime hyper.

but from the animes i have seen from this one:
Serial Experiments Lain: i feel nothing.
Cowboy Bebop: well that's a pity...
Now and Then, Here and There: of all the things that part really?, that awesome anime has way more touching moments, well to each his own...
Grave of the Fireflies: the same as above but this choose was more decent.

if i had to add, it would be
the dog of Flanders: end
trigun: wolfwood death
Rainbow: he this one is like now and then, here and there: you get plenty to choose from.
Karisu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Karisu wrote:
The lack of Clannad is literally criminal.
Literally.

Someone doesn't know what "literally" means!

I get that sarcasm doesn't play on the net, but yeah, I know what literally means. I misused it on purpose. Literally.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Momiji's back story in Fruits Basket always gets to me.
sainta

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Some tear jerker moments in my opinion?
1. Code Geass' ending.
2. Fullmetal Alchemist's spoiler[Nina turns into a chimera and is killed by Scar.]
3. Everything from Gundam SEED's entire climax summing up the last two episodes.

Bonus. When I was younger I used to watch Digimon and there was an episode that was pretty sad. Former villain spends an episode remebering his late brother and his friendship with Wormmon who died trying to save him. Once Wormmon revives Ken starts appreciating his life resulting in him greeting his parents for the first time in years and saying "Mom, thanks for giving me my life." Thinking it back, despite the staff issues Digimon 02 had, Ken was one of the best parts of the shows.
Akukame

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:11 pm Reply with quote
The last scene of 5cm was always quite poignant for me, but, it always amazes me just how much that song fits the anime. Its an older song, much older than the anime itself, but the feelings and the lyrics in the song perfectly match the tone and even a lot of the content of the song.

Beni has done a couple albums of english covers of popular japanese songs, and one of them she did an english cover of "One more time, one more chance"(the ending song for 5cm). Its worth a listen.

I'll also add to the list.

Its not particularly bad, but my eyes always get watery during spoiler[Anemone's monologue] at the end of Eureka7. spoiler[she's pretty much given up on living at this point. She did not realize how much she cared for Dominic until he left her, main characters and her are fighting you start hearing her talk. If she is still alive after the battle, and if they tell her she doesn't have to kill anymore she'll buy a mirror and practice smiling in it so that one day she might step out and try to meet him]. I think that in the dubbed version a lot of the poetic nature of the scene was lost, and that lessens the emotion.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:21 pm Reply with quote
It is kind of interesting that anime fans take a sort of pride and delight in reliving their top tear-jerker moments. It's not like you hear dudes in front of the 7-11 going "man, I cried so hard at the end of Transformers 3". But anime fans? The last five minutes of Angel Beats!? Yeah, there you go… someone's probably tearing up right now, earworming "Ichiban no Takarabono" for good measure.

Personally, it's one of the things I like most about anime. So much of the Western media I consume is unwilling to go places like this, maybe for fear of coming off as sappy, but it ends up feeling distant and detached.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

And it gets even worse in the manga, when after the events of the anime spoiler[he turns out being "the most foolish traveler" himself, falling in love with Tohru once he finally hits puberty and catches up to his other three cousins physically only to realize he doesn't have a chance with her without becoming a horrible person and screwing Kyo over, encouraging Kyo to pursue Tohru and standing with his rival during his darkest hour, watching Tohru and Kyo go off into the sunset together without ever getting his mom and sister back, and generally being the only character who doesn't get a happy ending even though he's the one who arguably deserves one the most.]
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Geeze I remember getting emotional to that scene in Sailor Moon! I'm VERY happy that entire episode remained uncensored back then, and I think that's what made it all the more effective. Even after watching the entire series uncut, that scene still hit the worst and probably moreso in the dub, because I don't remember it being quite as emotional in Japanese.

As for my favorite Alice, I chose the Digimon Tamers one. Maybe because of all the talk of tragedy spoiler[knowing how Dobermon was basically "Leomon'd" and sent to well, not die, but just a tool to be used, leaving her with nothing afterwards.] Been a while since I watched it though.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I have to wonder how Full Moon Wo Sagashite did not make this list. As a guy this is the only show I have ever seen, when not watching harem x, that actually teared me up.
rheiders

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

And it gets even worse in the manga, when after the events of the anime spoiler[he turns out being "the most foolish traveler" himself, falling in love with Tohru once he finally hits puberty and catches up to his other three cousins physically only to realize he doesn't have a chance with her without becoming a horrible person and screwing Kyo over, encouraging Kyo to pursue Tohru and standing with his rival during his darkest hour, watching Tohru and Kyo go off into the sunset together without ever getting his mom and sister back, and generally being the only character who doesn't get a happy ending even though he's the one who arguably deserves one the most.]

I cry whenever I reread any part of his backstory. Anime cry It was so sad I had to make up a complicated headcanon where he would get a happy ending one day.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Another phantom vote for Alice Carroll.

And does anybody else remember "Combat Arisa" from the All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku TV series?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:21 pm Reply with quote
A good list, though I avoid Key stuff myself because it's faux tragic, just needless self-serving melodrama.

I would have put spoiler[the death of Yang Wenli] from Legend of the Galactic Heroes on the list. Or perhaps spoiler[Oskar von Reuenthal's death.] Maybe the ending of Giant Robo might make it, too.

Last edited by penguintruth on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Myaow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:36 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Maybe the ending of Giant Robo might make it, too.

I'll second that choice! Just everything about that ending destroyed me. It kicked my heart in the nuts.
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Karisu wrote:
I get that sarcasm doesn't play on the net, but yeah, I know what literally means. I misused it on purpose. Literally.

Haha, I think you did a good job hinting at the sarcasm though. I mean come on, it was bolded and written twice, the 2nd time on its own line. Razz

Anyway, I'm a part of the group that's surprise of no mention of Clannad: After Story. Although I'm not prone to tears, the tearjerker feeling was strongest with this one.

edit: Oh, you decidedly chose only one of Key's adapted works and chose Air instead. But still...!

Last edited by yoshiyukiblade on Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10