• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 10 Tearjerkers That'll Empty the Tissue Box

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Oh! Oh! Oh! How did I forget?!

Final scene of Windaria!!!! And that scene at the crumbling bridge earlier in the film!!!!
Cloudedmind

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Yeah quite a few of those moments made me cry as well. Others that also made me cry:

Cowboy Bepop:spoiler[I'd also add the scenes when Ed and Ein leave and Fay gets her memory back. Watching her lay where her bed use to be in a house that no longer exists...just ugh.]

Ghost in the Shell:spoiler[BOTH times the Tachicoma's die, but especially the second time when you know there's just no coming back because they use their own satellite to intercept the bomb, and with them singing to, I just cry like a baby every time.]

Puella:spoiler[When Madoka makes her wish and starts saving all the girls from a fate worse then death, but yet they still die. And the fact that she can't save Sayaka without undoing Sayaka's wish.]

A relatively new one, the first 10 minutes or so of Kotoura San:spoiler[That scene when she's standing in the rain, and just finds out that the only "friend" she's got, a little kitten has also been taken from her, and she just breaks down into a silent scream.]

Last edited by Cloudedmind on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Oh right, I forgot to mention, the end of Mawaru Penguindrum.

spoiler["We love you!! From your brothers".]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
animeluver86

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quote
want to watch a real tearjerker? check out Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, I haven't cried watching an anime in some time until I watched it ... had to add 'tissues' to my shopping list afterwards Anime cry
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Karisu wrote:
Zac wrote:
Karisu wrote:
The lack of Clannad is literally criminal.
Literally.

Someone doesn't know what "literally" means!

I get that sarcasm doesn't play on the net, but yeah, I know what literally means. I misused it on purpose. Literally.

What a hilarious joke that everyone got.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:07 am Reply with quote
For the poll, I voted for Alice Kiriki. She's voiced by Horie Yui! How could I not vote for her? Very Happy
Karisu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:17 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Karisu wrote:
Zac wrote:
Karisu wrote:
The lack of Clannad is literally criminal.
Literally.

Someone doesn't know what "literally" means!

I get that sarcasm doesn't play on the net, but yeah, I know what literally means. I misused it on purpose. Literally.

What a hilarious joke that everyone got.

Why would it have been hilarious? Like, do you like acting like a dick for fun?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:26 am Reply with quote
I got it. Smile

invalidname wrote:
It is kind of interesting that anime fans take a sort of pride and delight in reliving their top tear-jerker moments. It's not like you hear dudes in front of the 7-11 going "man, I cried so hard at the end of Transformers 3". But anime fans? The last five minutes of Angel Beats!? Yeah, there you go… someone's probably tearing up right now, earworming "Ichiban no Takarabono" for good measure.

Thanks, I needed a laugh in this thread, and this is so true!

rowsdower wrote:
These moments got to me as well:
* spoiler[Tenma and Grimmer preventing Milos' suicide, Karl reading Latin to Schuwald over the phone and their subsequent reunion as father and son], spoiler[Martin's death and Eva's reaction to it], and of course spoiler[Wolfgang Grimmer's death] from Monster. And that's the short list. Holy Christ does that series pull no emotional punches. It's the one series that still leaves me an utter wreck, even though I've watched every episode at least 3 times.

I was wondering if someone was going to mention Monster. Smile Couldn't agree more. In fact I agree with all the scenes cited (from series I've seen), probably because I cry at the drop of a hat. From Monster I would also add spoiler[Johan vividly describing the original scenery for the nearly blind Schuwald.] Ulterior motives aside, that broke my heart.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:45 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Glad to see the correct scene get picked from Key's stuff. That scene was definitely a tearjerker, and the beautiful insert song Aozora being sung by Lia increases the impact immensely. It's too bad that was the last time Jun Maeda actually wrote a decent ending.

I won't dispute at all that the Air scene was a definite tearjerker, and would probably make my Top 10, but I'd still take the scene from Clannad After Story that everyone's been talking about as the #1 scene from a Key title.

Sara's scene from NTHT gets my wholehearted support, though. I'd be hard-pressed to think of a more wrenching scene anywhere in anime.

I also think Saikano could qualify for Akemi's death. And for a much longer shot, I always got teary-eyed watching the final half of the last episode of Mahoromatic: Automatic Maiden.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AnimeMaine

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:47 am Reply with quote
The most recent moment that choked me up: Chihayafuru when spoiler[Chihaya finds her parent's scrapbook of her karuta exploits.]
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:49 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I'd still take the scene from Clannad After Story that everyone's been talking about as the #1 scene from a Key title.
I wouldn't disagree with you at all if not for spoiler[the author completely retconning that entire event (as well as everything Tomoya went through post-Nagisa's death)]

It was definitely a strong scene for sure.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:58 am Reply with quote
One that I haven't seen yet but would definitely be on my list is in Hikaru no Go, when spoiler[Sai passes/disappears]. Hikaru goes through spoiler[ALL the stages of grief], and the process takes multiple episodes. I don't think there is any other anime series that had me crying for so many episodes in a row. Because as Hikaru spoiler[goes through the long grieving process], you do too, right along with him. It is only sadder because spoiler[he can't really tell anyone what he is going through, since Hikaru is the only person who knew Sai even existed].

Also on my list, as someone previously mentioned, spoiler[Sakujun Sa's death] in The Story of Saiunkoku. First time I ever cried so hard for the spoiler[death of a villain].

To tell the truth. anime makes me cry a lot, so I like to watch it when I'm by myself.

I'm a marshmallow. Embarassed Anime smile + sweatdrop
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:03 am Reply with quote
Karisu wrote:

Why would it have been hilarious? Like, do you like acting like a dick for fun?

Like, who doesn't? The internet's a great place to be a dick. You can't get punched that way!*

Okay, serious opinion on the new poll, had to go with Tweeny Witches, it's an underrated gem and Arisu had just the right amount of gumption and pluck for me.

*meant as internet etiquette humor
Quark

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:15 am Reply with quote
As much as I loved AnoHana, I couldn't cry over the end of that series. The ending where spoiler[the friends are standing around and crying in an overly-dramatic manner] felt really forced, and it kind of took me out of the quiet sadness that the series was tinged with. I think maybe if that part had been more subtle, the ending of the series would have worked better for me.
Of the three Key anime I've seen, there has yet to be one that hasn't left me crying like an idiot.
Paradise Kiss gets me every time when spoiler[George and Yukari's relationship just kind of fizzles out. I really like the fact that Yazawa depicted a teenage relationship that was very exciting and passionate, but in the end was not healthy and could not realistically last. Seeing Yukari break down over George's leaving, her engagement to Tokumori, and the bittersweet feelings she has when she goes to see the play that George did the costume design for. It makes me weepy.]
The Nana manga also made me have a little cry when spoiler[the Nana's go to the Trapnest concert and Nana sees Ren on stage after being apart from him for so long. Nana and Hachi holding hands and Hachi's thoughts about wanting to always be there to hold her hand was such a sweet scene.]
The ending of the Life manga when spoiler[Hatori has to move and she and Ayumu have a tearful farewell at the train station] was also really good.
Saikano as a whole had quite a few tearjerker scenes. Princess Tutu and Mahoromatic also got to me as well.
I think maybe I cry too easily over anime. I'm pretty sure I've also cried over Evangelion at a few points too.

tuxedocat wrote:
To tell the truth. anime makes me cry a lot, so I like to watch it when I'm by myself.

Me too. My boyfriend teased me one night when we were watching Lucky Star and I was getting sniffly. It's so much better to watch it alone so no one can make fun when you get your cry on. Or so that no one makes any smart remarks during otherwise dramatic scenes.
MarchingTwinkie3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:30 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Apart from Grave (which is THE jearker movie to me), then I'd like to add other work from Mitsuru Adachi besides Cross Game #1 ending; Touch's spoiler[Kazuya's death]. I never thought it could happen.

Oh, and the whole Remy, ie naki ko, man, they couldn't leave the poor kid/girl (in each version) have some happinesss, could they?

Ditto on Touch. spoiler[Kazuya's death and the immediate fallout, especially Koutarou's despair over the loss of his best friend get to me no matter how many times I read it.] Cross Game, too; the end of book/episode one and spoiler[pretty much any mention or flashback of Wakaba thereafter.] I always find the tears suddenly rolling down my face before I even realise it. And, from the H2 manga, when spoiler[Hikari's mother dies and most of the chapters after because of all the talk of it and flashbacks about her. I have no idea when I'll ever be able to reread it because I don't think I can handle that again.]

Basically, it's not an Adachi series unless you find yourself in tears at least once.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10