• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
LAST DAYS OF BEST BUY ANIME

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I was at one of the newest Best Buy stores in Houston in the anime section. At this new store they have about 4 shelves of anime and that is it. Ominously, there was a clipboard hanging there saying "Anime Section" on it with columns "Number of visitors", "Time Visited", "Titles Bought" etc. It seemed to me like it was a survey to see if they are going to keep the section or not. For once, the ever present salesperson wasn't around so I didn't get a chance to see exactly what the deal was. I did notice that even the once mighty Evangelion remastered editions had been price reduced. I get the feeling that Best Buy will eventually have like two shelves devoted to anime, if even that.
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:25 pm Reply with quote
It's not likely a survey, but something to keep track of sales trends. If it's a new store, that makes it even more likely because the corporate offices generally like to keep a closer eye on the initial performance of new stores. You don't have anything to worry about.
MadionV7

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps That particular bestbuy is having a hard time selling anime, and as such is trying to find a way to continue carrying it, while minimizing floor space. The Best Buy in Rockville Maryland, as well as the one in Germantown, Gaithersburg MD, and the one In Dulles Town Center in Virginia, They all have at least 1 side of an entire bookself unit filled with anime, though sometimes bare right before they get a new shipment.

It reminds me of what I learned in economic of supply and demand, and the extensions to the simple economic rule...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1