• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Producer of 4°C-Animated ThunderCats Interviewed

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:05 pm Reply with quote
ThunderCats was just slightly before my time, but between the stylish character designs and the involvement of Ethan Spaulding (loved his work on Avatar: the Last Airbender), my interest is definitely piqued enough to check it out.
Metanomaly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Why does Panthro look like Jet Black? Rolling Eyes
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:18 pm Reply with quote
What happened to Lion-O's mane? It's so small. Oh well.

Thundercats was before my time as well, but it aired on Toonami when I was a lad, so I watched it religiously like I did with every show on Toonami except Gundam (excluding G-Gundam, which I loved). However, right now, I can't say I'm looking forward to this since I don't really feel much attachment to the series anymore. I'll watch it though, but I may forget when it's coming unless I catch a commercial or something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:20 pm Reply with quote
The original show's animation was fairly fluid, so it's quite keen that they opted for Studio 4C for the remake. They've done a lot of fantastic work, and the images that've leaked to various toysites look very stylish.
I hope the talk about the quality of the original Thundercats opening means they have something fun planned for the new show Smile
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
All this mention of the studio's body of work and you forgot to mention their masterpieces in Mind Game and LeBron James' "Chamber of Fear" commercial.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:25 pm Reply with quote
My prediction is that it will go down the same as the He-man remake that aired in Cartoon Network a few years ago.
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
God, I remember watching that show..... the repeats atleast. And all the shows that were kinda like it too if that makes any sense to anyone. I wonder if other shows like this will get re-makes too sometime. (and to this level too I'd hope).

It looks cool though, dunno if i'd watch it per say but I like the character designs. I certainly hope it does well.

Last edited by peachsncreamsoda on Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
j Talbain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait for this to come out.
silentjay

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:31 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
My prediction is that it will go down the same as the He-man remake that aired in Cartoon Network a few years ago.

Unlikely.

He-Man wasn't produced by Warners, and didn't have the president of CN, Sam Register, as it's executive producer.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching the ThunderCats when I was little.
I think I used to have a plastic version of Lion-O's sword that lit up too. Laughing
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:17 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

He-Man's failures had everything to do with Mattel. The fans were there, but they completely botched distribution of the toys to the point that they couldn't turn back. Basically they went heavy on the completely nonsensical repaints and their case packouts were far too lopsided, the combination caused a glut of unsellable figures on the store shelves. When the toys stopped making money because retailers couldn't make space for new toys (the last few lines primarily sold only at comic shops) Mattel canceled the whole thing and the cartoon basically imploded. As a testament to its popularity there was a line of statues by another company based on characters from the toon that didn't get made into figures intended to complement the Mattel toy line.

There are more factors involved in this show so whether it succeeds or fails doesn't rest with one company entirely like He-Man did.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
batou37

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:11 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
What happened to Lion-O's mane? It's so small. Oh well.

That's the first thing that jumped out at me when I saw this pic. His hair is supposed to look like the top part of a raspberry soft serve ice cream cone. I hope it does well, I'll check it at least. I was a huge fan when I was a kid, still have the VHS of the first ep when they left Thundera because it exploded and Lion-o was a kid at first and woke up an adult when they crashed on earth because the "blasted mutants!" attacked them. Hope it has the Ro-bear berbils in it too. I used to walk around my house just blabbering "urbley burble urber burble, rober fruit gooood!" Had all the toys too.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:14 pm Reply with quote
HOLY S**T!!! This looks kickass!!! I wonder if this remake will have some connection to the movie that's going to be done in CGI? Not directly for say.

My dream came true. I said many years ago during my "nerdy" HS days when me and the boys used to talk about 'TC', that if the Japanese ever got their hands on it they could do a much better job with the story line. I was young and felt that when anime was involved it could do no wrong other than looking cool. Though you learn later that just because it's anime doesn't always mean it works out. Look, I loved 'TC' back in the days. I watched it everyday it was much fun. However the show had it's fair share of plot problems (that guys and I used to talk much about at lunchtime). Not to mention odd inconsistencies with the characters (ie 'The Trial). Still it was an experimentation and it did ok for it's day. Plus, I also know that much of show was outsourced to Japanese studios. Rankin-Bass being the partnership who would produce such works, like 'The Hobbit', 'Return of King', 'The Last Unicorn', and 'Flight of Dragons' (after TC, things just went downhill after awhile. It's called doing a poor job creating a new show and making it a clone of the former). The now defunct MyAnime Magazine ran a segment on both TC showing a breakdown of the OP in b&w.

So I'm looking forward to seeing how this version pans out. The designs look respectable to their counterparts (unlike Wolverine). Yes, they gave Lion-O a shorter and more updated look. For a newer generation (and old). I think this suits him. While the old version matured him early his mental psyche was still growing. If they are remaking it then this design might be acceptable. As long as some of the plot elements make some sort of sense.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In the original series, these four are aliens who have fled their home planet Thundera at its destruction. Their enemies, mutants from the planet Plun-Darr, track them to Third Earth in hopes of acquiring the Eye of Thundera, a power source embedded in Lion-O's Sword of Omens.

This is slightly wrong.

The original series had these Thundereans survive the destruction of Thundera in the beginning: Lion-O, Cheetara, Panthro, Tygra, WilyKit and WilyKat, and Snarf. This is not counting Jaga (spoiler[who dies of old age after volunteering to help guide the ship to a safe place, Third Earth while the Thundercats sleep in suspended animation]) or the spoiler[three Thundereans that also escaped the destruction by the Ro-Bear Berbil's (Ben-Gali, Pumyra, and Lynx-O).]
manga1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I always loved the show, and have to say its one of the most exciting intro songs of all time for me, the fast running rythm of the song.

The origional was a ranken and bass, they also made all the old holiday stop motion animation shows like santa claus is comming to town, the little drummer boy, red nose raindeer, and the easter bunny comes to town. as well as other animated cartoons back then.

I hope they keep with the original plot line and dont dumb it down too much, and heck if its got anime style continuity thats even better yet, just hop they dont make a clown job of it like that ugly looking cgi thundercats movie or smurfs movie that are coming out soon to theaters.

signed Jeremy Manga1
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3