• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Super Manga Pals II: Vertical Limit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan297na

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:30 pm Reply with quote
As much as I like KnK, I agree that it was completely unnecessary to make it so intentionally confusing at the beginning. I see no reason as to why they would show these out of chronological order. In my personal opinion, I would recommend to anyone who watches these to just watch them chronologically, which is in order 2,4,3,1,5,6,7. And Zac, I know you aren't enthusiastic about watching the two 2 hour long episodes (eps 5 and 7), but in my opinion, those are by far the 2 best ones.

And the Tsukihime anime is really not a good way to judge type moon. Most people who have played the VN seem to think it is a poor adaptation.

Last edited by Dan297na on Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:30 pm Reply with quote
So, to sum up, the print market ~ (even with Print on Demand) ~ can only present a fraction of what is published in Japan. The economics will only support a much larger fraction if someone can make digital-only localization work, but right now the market is fractured by publisher, and that fracturing prevents digital-only localization from having a chance to build critical mass.

Also, the only reason that #Mangapolypse2011 won't be any more jarring is because its coming on the heels of #Mangapolypse2008, #Mangapolypse2009 and #Mangapolypse2010.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Dan297na wrote:
As much as I like KnK, I agree that it was completely unnecessary to make it so intentionally confusing at the beginning.

I don't see how it was too confusing. I think matters were just obfuscated enough that I was interested in finding out more, and piecing things together; I definitely didn't get the "obscurity for obscurity's sake" vibe that Zac was getting.

Of course then Paradox Spiral came around. I really can't wait to watch the whole thing at once when my BD box arrives, because I wasn't paying nearly enough attention to the interplay between Shiki and SHIKI (never mind Mikiya and Touko), and how they gave rise to Void Shiki.

Anyway, it's all good. And I think the shuffled order of the episodes is consistent with Shiki's psychological state, making for a better viewing experience overall.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:40 pm Reply with quote
About manga and genres: It also pisses me off when people consider manga (or anime for that matter) to be a genre. Then I mention that would be no different than me considering novels a genre, and of course they respond with "that's different". Yes, you are right, it is different, in that when it comes to manga/anime, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about yet like to pretend you do Razz .

Also, some manga are kinda odd when it comes to the genre they are forced into. Aria is listed as a scifi manga (which is TECHNICALLY true, being based on a future terraformed Mars and all), and I can only imagine that there must be at least ONE person out there who did not get the hint from the cover art and description on the back and bought it thinking it would be a space exploring and/or alien or robot killing story. Or better yet, the grandma shopping for her grand-kids looking at the list and noticing that Johnny likes scifi, and wow doesn't this just look like a lovely one? Do they have a slice of life genre/label they could have listed it under? If so that would have probably been a better fit.

And before I forget Zac, this whole entitlement "everything should be free" attitude is on the liberal side, definitely not libertarian. Small difference there Razz .
debaoki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Edit: Not trying to be petty, but Deb Aoki said the version of Princess Knight in Hawaii was subtitled...I remember it being dubbed. Did both versions air

hah! you're probably right. I remember watching the Princess Knight movie on the big screen at the Toyo? Toho? theater back in the day. But it being well over... 30 years ago? I can't recall if it or the Princess Knight TV show was subtitled or dubbed. I guess I probably said subtitled because so many of the Japanese shows in HI were subtitled -- like Kikaida, etc. -- but Speed Racer was definitely dubbed. So yeah. my memory is fuzzy there. Sorry!
_V_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'm with Zac. I'm not excited about Tiffany Grant returning as Asuka. She has no subtlety whatsoever. I wish they could have given the role to Gwendolyn Lau or Kara Edwards. I'm not a fan of Spike Spencer's Shinji, either. The best parts of the Rebuild dubs are the new cast.

We can't really be sure just what Mari's role is yet. She does sort of come out of nowhere, interacts with practically nobody, and seems only there for action scenes, in a way that it makes it seem like the studio couldn't commit entirely to a new character. I disagree with the fans who say she takes away from Asuka. She does end up piloting Asuka's Eva unit, but she has way less screentime than Asuka, so you have to be crazy to say that. It was Rei who dominated both movies, as far as potential Shinji hook ups.

The second Rebuild movie is fantastic visually, but I feel like it just lacks that feeling of desperation and alienation that the TV series does. It's really exciting to watch, but not much more than that.

Well I agree that we have no real way of knowing what's going on with Mari yet, there may be yet another big twist; though as you say, at least for now, she didn't interfere too much.

Yes, I also feared that it verged on being "a giant Rei/Shinji shipper-fest", though Asuka tends to steal every scene she's in (she's so loud) so I didn't walk away feeling slighted.

I also appreciate the answers to my question about Osakan accents in manga; Toji in Evangelion speaks with an Osakan accent, and in general....I usually push for an anime series or movie of Eva to try to reflect this, because its almost his defining character trait. I'd have supported English manga adaptations trying to reflect it. But when I actually saw it in print, it just looked...odd, and I knew conceptually that they were trying to represent a "Brooklynese accent" in print but wasn't sure if others would. I don't think there's an easy answer to that, and ultimately the right answer might just be to leave a prominent note at the beginning, as Deb and Ed said...which unfortunately means its just a nuance of the story that gets lost, and there's no easy answer.
3mapletrees

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to say I really enjoyed this podcast and the guests.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Dan297na wrote:
As much as I like KnK, I agree that it was completely unnecessary to make it so intentionally confusing at the beginning. I see no reason as to why they would show these out of chronological order. In my personal opinion, I would recommend to anyone who watches these to just watch them chronologically, which is in order 2,4,3,1,5,6,7. And Zac, I know you aren't enthusiastic about watching the two 2 hour long episodes (eps 5 and 7), but in my opinion, those are by far the 2 best ones.

you have to remember that Kara no Kyoukai was not made for normal anime fans. Their target audience was Type Moon fans. Basically, they wanted you to know the story before you watch those movies. The same thing can apply for Fate Stay Night movie.

this is like complaining about a very technical computer programming book is too confusing when you don't know how to write computer program.

the price of the blu-ray already tells you "this is for Type Moon fans only, regular and poor anime fans get out"
sonickid101

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:52 pm Reply with quote
those 'princess night guy' clips made me loose it Anime hyper I forgot he didn't know about vertical

still a Eva dub hater I see? lol its fine, I do admit to having some nostalgia for the dub, though I saw it in Japanese first, the dub did kind of suck in the first half, the second have was good, but that's when you pop in the director's cut episodes and then its bad again and then there's the movie and that dub wets the bed in a typical bad side of MANGA entertainment and uhh....GAAHH, oh well it hasn't aged to well, I am a bit curious about the 2.0's dub though, I want to see how Grant will do the part after so long.

Great podcast as usual!
PBsallad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
And before I forget Zac, this whole entitlement "everything should be free" attitude is on the liberal side, definitely not libertarian. Small difference there Razz .

I have to admit that bugged me from when it was said all the way through to the end. lol

I don't read that many manga, but the discussions about it and the stuff at the beginning made for a good show.

Last edited by PBsallad on Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:

That isn't what I was talking about.

I'm talking about the people who argue against the basic concept of intellectual property rights. Every single person I've ever had that argument with has turned out to be Libertarian. It's twisted logic, but I believe it's born from the "in a free society I should be free to download whatever I want" concept.

I'm not saying these people are good libertarians, but they certainly self-identify as being so.

Edit: I was just clarifying what I meant here, this thread will absolutely not be allowed to turn into any sort of piracy debate, period.

Last edited by Zac on Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm so bloody excited about Eva 2.22. It seems sad to me that they had to shoehorn in some pointless character to sell merchandise. So long as it doesn't detract from the movie though then I don't care.

Zac has a Garden of Sinners BDs? Interesting. In the event that they should somehow find their way into the subscribers giveaway, (and I realize it probably won't) then I shall look forward to the inevitable free for all battle to the death to decide who get's it. I seem to recall that blood- is a pretty big dude but he's also old and I think I can take him. Wink

I payed $200+ for the collector's edition of Trigun. I'd pay $200 for KnK. Not $400 though. No chance.

I don't know if I can say I'm a Type Moon fan because the only show I've seen of theirs is FSN. Then again, I really liked FSN so I'm really eager to see Garden of Sinners.

I'm not even going to talk about the whole piracy thing anymore. It's a horrible clusterfuck of a situation and nearly everyone involved on either side is an idiot. So que sera sera. I wash my hands of it.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
That isn't what I was talking about.

I'm talking about the people who argue against the basic concept of intellectual property rights. Every single person I've ever had that argument with has turned out to be Libertarian. It's twisted logic, but I believe it's born from the "in a free society I should be free to download whatever I want" concept.

I'm not saying these people are good libertarians, but they certainly self-identify as being so.

Ah that makes sense then, my bad!
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Re: KnK and it's extras.

I would assume that the extras are either in the print media included with the boxset, or on the 8th disc with the epilogue chapter... which apparently isn't in the review copy going around by the sounds of it. Guess it's to keep that part under wraps or something.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:41 pm Reply with quote
@Zac: I've never seen 200 yen wine, but for what it's worth there's a chain of convenience stores primarily in Hokkaido (Seicomart) that retail 500 yen wine.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4