• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Arrietty's U.S. Theatrical Run Set for February 2012

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Sigh a whole year before it out thats just to long of a wait
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:46 pm Reply with quote
A year for dubbing sounds about right considering all the work that goes into it. I'd rather them take the time to do it right than rush the release because of a small percentage of impatient people.

That said, I'll probably have the Japanese blu-ray and have watched it several times by then, seeing as it has English subtitles. But Ghibli films are usually well worth double-dipping, ya know?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Long wait but will most likely be worth it. I got plenty of other things to watch while I wait. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Leon Evolon wrote:
A year for dubbing sounds about right considering all the work that goes into it. I'd rather them take the time to do it right than rush the release because of a small percentage of impatient people.

A year might be right, but this is taking a lot longer than a year. The US theatrical run of Ponyo took place about 13 months after it was released in Japan, but Arrietty has to wait 19 months... ;_; Did Ghibli/Disney take all of this extra time to write up a licensing agreement/contract?

Quote:
That said, I'll probably have the Japanese blu-ray and have watched it several times by then, seeing as it has English subtitles. But Ghibli films are usually well worth double-dipping, ya know?

I expect the Japanese BD to be on sale late this year, and I hope that English subtitles are on there (at a minimum; having the US dub, in addition to the subtitles, would just be a bonus). If I have to wait for a US BD to be able to own dub, I'm fine with that, since it won't be my primary audio option. I expect that I'll double-dip, since I'll probably want to own the dub, at least as an option for others.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:30 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
It'd be 1 year too late to be eligible for the Oscars then.

Yeah! I almost feel like the evil mouse company is doing this on purpose so that Ghibli won't be eligible to compete against their corporate partner: Pixar.

It is almost like it is being purposefully positioned so that it can't compete. What's up with that?!?

That's not likely. The head of Disney Animation now is ex-Pixar chief John Lasseter, who is an unabashed Miyazaki fanboy.

Egan Loo wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

As noted in the article, it can still be eligible for the Oscars presented in 2012 if it has a limited engagement (at least one week long in at least one theater) in Los Angeles County this year. The February 2012 date is the date of its nationwide opening, not necessarily the date of any limited release it might have.

Good point.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:05 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Yeah! I almost feel like the evil mouse company is doing this on purpose so that Ghibli won't be eligible to compete against their corporate partner: Pixar.

It is almost like it is being purposefully positioned so that it can't compete. What's up with that?!?

That's not likely. The head of Disney Animation now is ex-Pixar chief John Lasseter, who is an unabashed Miyazaki fanboy.

This is good to know. I really would like to see this film qualify for Oscar next year. I don't mind waiting for the dub.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:26 am Reply with quote
If I recall correctly, wasn't Lasseter basically in charge of Ponyo's release over here? In any case, the guy really does like Miyazaki's works. I remember reading that they have both visited each other's studios. So I wouldn't worry about Disney trying to cut Miyazaki out as long as Lasseter is still around.

I'll be seeing this theaters if it comes to my area. I can understand it taking a bit of time, and this ensures that it isn't going to be some quickly thrown together dub.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:33 am Reply with quote
Damn it, I've never been able to see a Ghibli movie in theatres. Next year, that's gonna change. Twisted Evil
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Damn it, I've never been able to see a Ghibli movie in theatres. Next year, that's gonna change. Twisted Evil

First one I got to go was Princess Mononoke. Funny story too: it was just before Halloween, so a Japanese student friend and I went with Halloween masks on - one looking like San's ride, the other like the Forest Spirit. The kids (yeah, there were kids there Exclamation ) loved it. Laughing
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:05 am Reply with quote
Universe: It's not Disney. It's most likely the whole "reverse importation" issue.

Ingraman: Disney has a stake in every future Ghibli film after Princess Mononoke, so they don't have to write a contract, as they get first dibs on theatrical and home video.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2