• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Need some help choosing DVD

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xcf33

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Hi I've searched the forum and find no subject I wanted so here's my problem

I'm a recent convert anime fan and started to buy anime DVDs. The latest one I wanted to buy is called Trigun because they showed it on cartoonnetwork and I find the anime to be lighthearted and funny. I went to several website amazon, ebay, import anime sites and found 2 different box sets.

The first one released by Pionner which include 8 DVDs a region 1 code is selling for around $150 dollars (I assume the voiceovers are the same as on cartoonnetwork)

Another one I find is what they called Uncut 3 DVD set which is region free and with English/Japanese. It is only selling for about $30

The problem I have is I dont know if they have some other voiceover on the 3 DVD set because I loved the one they had on cartoonnetwork so If anyone of you out there have the DVD set can give me some suggestions.

Thanks and sorry for being cheap Very Happy
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:40 pm Reply with quote
The 3 DVD set is an illegal bootleg. Go with the official Pioneer version.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:17 am Reply with quote
Yes, the 3 disc "uncut" is a bootleg either copied illegally from the Region 1 DVDs to make it look real, or copied from a Chinese source with no dubbing and bad subtitles.

If you want to get the legal and legit product that Pioneer put all of their hard work into, the cheapeast I've seen for the box set is here.

Please support the industry by purchasing the official merchandise, thanks! Wink
xcf33

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Wow thanks so much yeah 80 dollars That is great I think i'm gonna buy 2 sets it makes a great present.

Yeah I understand the DVD industry piracy those days I try my best to go through good source to purchase animes.

Once again Thanks so much!
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:22 pm Reply with quote
This should help in the future:

The Pirate Anime FAQ: A Guide To Unlicensed Anime and Manga Related Goods

And thank you for caring enough to buy legitimate copies. ^_^
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1